Start by marking “Just One Look” as Want to Read:
Just One Look

Just One Look

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  22,335 Ratings  ·  1,207 Reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review

Photographs are a way of putting memories on paper and, like memories, they can be precious -- or dangerous. For housewife Grace Lawson, the ordinary act of picking up a pack of family photos sets an extraordinary sequence of events in motion, and the danger builds momentum with every turn of the page.

Among prints of a happy family vacation is
Audio, 0 pages
Published April 21st 2005 by Penguin Audio (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Just One Look, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Just One Look

Suzanne
Apr 26, 2016 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, gave-away
My mind was all over the place with this one, what was happening? Where did that person go? But what about him? Another awesome delivery from Mr Coben. Man this guy is good. I am never hit and miss with this guy, he always delivers and does so with style.

Grace was quite the woman here, trauma survivor and all round pretty cool chick. Quite the sleuth too which is good for her as she is facing an almost impossible task of finding her beloved, and facing many traumatic memories along the way.

I lo
Jonetta
Feb 16, 2016 Jonetta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted on The Book Nympho

Quick Summary
It was an ordinary day like any other but from the moment when Grace Lawson picks up her pictures from the photomart, her life was never the same.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. The story actually begins with a surprising admission from a prisoner serving a life sentence for murder. That sets off a chain of events that reaches back 15 years to the present.

The mystery
Since it is a mystery, I can't tell you much more. What I can say is I was off
Juliet
Jul 19, 2007 Juliet rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Although it was still a decent read much like his other novels, it could be time for Coben to change a little of his formulaic writing. The plot in this novel is so confusing that the last two to three chapters were devoted to explaining it all. It almost felt like the rest of the novel were just fillers.
Connie
Apr 18, 2011 Connie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Angie
Wow! Where has Mr. Coben been all my life? This is my second book to read of his and they have both been heart-pounding and can't-stop-reading!! I will be steadily working my way through his offerings.

This thriller starts out with a housewife picking up some photos from a local shop. Little does she know her life will soon explode into chaos. The ramifications of a 'wrong' photo placed in her pack are far-reaching and criss-cross all over the place. You are kept on the edge of your seat as the
Mandy Blair Crider
This book was slow for me at first but
Man oh man towards the middle I couldn't put it down! All of the connections with the characters and then the twist at the very end made me feel like I was right there with the family. Great book! Coben never fails!
Weinz
Nov 13, 2007 Weinz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: brainless thrillseekers with time to kill
Why is it when people hear you enjoy reading that they automatically assume that you read the same books they do? A neighbor reccomended this one. I don't think the friendship will survive. I may have to move.
Love Fool
Dec 01, 2015 Love Fool rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An ordinary snapshot causes a mother’s world to unravel in an instant. After picking up her two young children from school, Grace Lawson looks through a newly developed set of photographs. She finds an odd one in the pack: a mysterious picture from perhaps twenty years ago, showing four strangers she can’t identify. But there is one face she recognizes—that of her husband, from before she knew him. When her husband sees the photo that night, he leaves their home and drives off without explanatio ...more
Janie Johnson
Dec 07, 2015 Janie Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-challenge
I decided on this book so I could use it for my A-Z challenge since I love Harlan Coben and I have not yet been disappointed by anything that he wrote. I really enjoyed this book just as much as other ones. I love the writing style and all the mystery. He is just a pleasure to read.

Synopsis
Angie
Nov 03, 2007 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
Harlan Coben manages to snag your attention within the first few pages of his books and then reels you in like a helpless fish until you are so ensared in the story that there is no way you can put the book down until you reach the end. This book is no exception!

I will admit that there were a few parts in this book that were slightly far-fetched, but then again, reality can be a bit far-fetched sometimes. Overall, it was another great suspense story from Coben. If you enjoy his books, you will
Strawberry Fields
Oct 23, 2015 Strawberry Fields rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I see mixed reviews on this book, but I am of the opinion that it was exceptional. I have come to love this author. His characters are always so unique. The mysteries are so complex, it makes me wonder how he comes up with all this stuff??

Ok, so I quit giving book reports a long time ago, and you can read the synopsis yourself right here on Goodreads so I will forego all of that. What I will say is that typically of Coben, you never see the end coming. Usually all the questions are answered and
David
Oct 12, 2008 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of Coben's best books - if not THE best. First it grabs the reader's attention with a prologue in which a killer who is about to be executed admits to an Assistant US Attorney that he killed his sister (not the crime for which he is being executed)

Then it launches into the main story, when an ordinary middle-class wife and mother discovers a picture of what looks like her husband in a context in which she would not expect to find him. Then the confrontation and then the disappearanc
Becky
Dec 22, 2009 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Coben book. It totally held my attention and was a pretty quick read for me. I couldn't wait to figure out who was responsible for Jack's kidnapping. While I felt for Grace who finds herself in a horrible situation, I just didn't really connect with her. She took off on her own search for her husband which seemed unrealistic to me. Especially with two children to protect. I can't imagine myself in that situation but don't think that I would have acted in the same way.

Wu was an
laura m
Mar 28, 2013 laura m rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: coben fans ONLY
Just read this and it's such a mess in my head right now that I can't even properly review this.
The end is incomprehensible, seems like the final twist/explanation was thought of in a rush, badly explained, I totally didn't catch all of it. I appreciate the lack of happy ending (sorry for the spoiler) where it was totally expected, in fact I didn't even predict it should end like this?
so, the end was a big fat disappointment.
SPOILERS
I was looking forward to Cora being the fifth person in the pho
Cathy DuPont
Mar 13, 2015 Cathy DuPont rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first Harlan Coben and I have no idea how I've lived this long without reading one of his books. Well, I can no longer say that since I just finished this one.

On the road so fortunately I read (listened to is more accurate) it for hours at a time.

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I even listened in the car for an extra 15 minutes a couple of times.

Now that I have been anointed, I won't walk pass a Harlen Coben book again without picking it up.

The End
No spoilers

About 75 p
Emily
Mar 24, 2007 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This book seemed to have good reviews, but I didn't enjoy it that much. It moved pretty slow and I felt there were wasted pages. I hate to give bad reviews, but I don't think I would reccommend this one.
Roy
Sep 02, 2015 Roy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
3-1/2 stars. This book was headed towards a 4-star review due to its infectious page turner style of prose that will be mistaken by no one for literary flair. Strictly meat and potatoes. This writing style effectively accomplishes the goal of all mystery books which is to make readers extremely curious about who dunnit and why they dunnit. As I have found to be the case with quite a few mysteries, the grande finale portion where all/most gets solved and the culprits are revealed was a bit underw ...more
Mike
Jan 20, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller-crime
Synopsis: An ordinary snapshot causes a mother’s world to unravel in an instant. After picking up her two young children from school, Grace Lawson looks through a newly developed set of photographs. She finds an odd one in the pack: a mysterious picture from perhaps twenty years ago, showing four strangers she can’t identify. But there is one face she recognizes—that of her husband, from before she knew him. When her husband sees the photo that night, he leaves their home and drives off without ...more
Donna
Jan 06, 2014 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
I like Harlan Coben’s writing style. He manages to hook you from the beginning. I like his focus on the characters. He brings ordinary citizens to life in his descriptive story telling.

Overall, I liked this book, mainly because of the hook and because of the character development. However, with that being said, I was glad this book wasn’t any longer. There was so much going on. Everyone had a hand in the plot. Everyone had a secret. It was a little busy and a little far-fetched at times. I don’
Cathy
Jun 18, 2012 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
4.5 stars really. Excellent story. Grace, mother of two, finds a fifteen year old picture mysteriously mixed in with her roll of freshly developed film. Her husband Jack, extremely upset upon seeing the picture, disappears that same evening. As Grace searches for Jack, the situation gets more mysterious and more frightening. How did that photo get into her envelope and what happened all those years ago? The more information Grace gets, the more questions she has. Eventually all the questions get ...more
Lisa (scarlet21)
Had to give this a 5 star rating because the twist at the end was fantastic!
A fabulous story of long buried secrets, pain, revenge and loss, families entwined somehow in the same mystery, nothing making too much sense - you think!
After developing a film Grace finds an old picture amongst the new ones, a picture that she's never seen before but which appears to be of her husband; when she shows her husband he disappears; at the same time she receives a phone call from her past; the two things do
Denise
Aug 22, 2015 Denise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Apenas um Olhar" apresenta um enredo complexo, com boas doses de perigo, adrenalina e um assassino cuja técnica é arrepiante.

Opinião completa em: http://quandoseabreumlivro.blogspot.p...
Davor Petričević
SPOILER-FREE RECENZIJA

Cobena sam otkrio prije četiri-pet godina s hvaljenom (i ekraniziranom) knjigom „Nikom ni riječi“. S obzirom na pozitivno sjećanje, odlučio sam se posvetiti ovom romanu i moram priznati da se isplatilo. „Samo jedan pogled“ je roman izuzetno brze, dinamične i slojevite priče s obratima do, doslovce, posljednjih redova.

Sve počinje naizgled bezazlenim podizanjem razvijenih fotografija majke Grace u prosječnoj obitelji među kojima se nalazi fotografija stara 15-20 godina. Upra
Jenny
Sep 07, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't read a Harlan Coben in a while (maybe since our trip to Costa Rica?) but I remembered how much I liked him with this book. It's a book that opens with a felon asking to see Scott Duncan, a US ADA, and confessing that he killed his sister way back when (because even though the hired hand didn't kill women as part of his "code", obviously the name Geri sounds like the male version of the same). Then the reader becomes introduced to Grace Lawson, a wife with two kids married to Jack, who d ...more
Gail Jones
Nov 08, 2012 Gail Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book Review: Just One Look by Harlan Coben 4/5

This book starts with much promise but as usual with these books it can be confusing at first with so many characters introduced in so many seemingly unrelated situations. However, just as you think you can’t take in any more disjointed facts the action picks up and as the book progresses all the separate lives are drawn together.

Just One Look has an unlimited number of possible suspects when Jack Lawson disappears. Has he run away, been kidnapped,
Alex
Jan 06, 2013 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
JUST ONE LOOK (Pub. 2004) by Harlan Coben was a great read, my second favorite of this author's works to-date.

Coben kicks things up a couple notches from some of his tamer domestic thrillers. Although the story is largely centered around Grace Lawson and her husband that goes missing, there is an intriguing underlying plot, that at first appears to be a subplot, but in classic Coben fashion, he manages to weave the two incidents together in a way that makes for a great read. I had a hard time p
Reinaldo Lourenço
Nao queria acabar o ano sem ler um livro do Harlan Coben.
Mais uma grande historia com um enredo um bocado complexo e cheia de ritmo.
E um final muito bom.
Acho que teria dado 5* se nao tivesse parado a leitura por causa do Natal :(
Mas pronto, consegui acabar o livro ainda este ano e penso que assim consigo comprir o meu Reading Challange para 2015 :) Fica o sabor amargo de ter estado quase 2 meses sem ler, caso contrario talvez tivesse chegado aos 40 livros.
Terri Lynn
Harlan Coben creates the weirdest, most dysfunctional families- and don't you just love it that he does?! In this one, suburban housewife and mom Grace Lawson just runs out to the local Photomat to pick up a roll of film she had developed of her family picking apples which is a simple act that will ruin her life (hey, Grace, honey get a digital camera). The dumb young cluck at the counter is rude and ignores her (Fuzz Pellet, as she nicknames him is too busy listening to loud music and reading t ...more
LATOYA SAUNDERS
Darcy
As I was reading this book my mind kept wandering. About page sixty I realized that I didn't care who killed the sister and what the deal was with the picture, so gave it up. This is not the book for me.
  • No Time for Goodbye (No Time For Goodbye #1)
  • Dead Sleep (Mississippi, #3)
  • The Blue Zone
  • They're Watching
  • The Killing Art (Kate McKinnon, #3)
  • Beautiful Lies (Ridley Jones #1)
  • The Two Minute Rule
  • The Next Accident (Quincy & Rainie, #3)
  • Paranoia
  • Faithless (Grant County, #5)
  • Compulsion (Frank Clevenger, #3)
With over 60 million books in print worldwide, Harlan Coben’s last seven consecutive novels, MISSING YOU, SIX YEARS, STAY CLOSE, LIVE WIRE, CAUGHT, LONG LOST and HOLD TIGHT all debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and lists around the world. His books are published in 43 languages around the globe.

Coben is the winner of the Edgar Award, Shamus Award and Anthony Award – the first aut
More about Harlan Coben...

“You can only be strong for so long.” 7 likes
“Kids don't come with instructions. We all mess up. Raising a child is pure impromptu.” 6 likes