Start by marking “The Ring of Solomon: A Bartimaeus Novel” as Want to Read:
The Ring of Solomon: A Bartimaeus Novel

The Ring of Solomon: A Bartimaeus Novel (Bartimaeus Sequence 0.5)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  20,243 Ratings  ·  1,166 Reviews
It is 950 B.C.E., and King Solomon rules Jerusalem with a steely hand; a hand on which gleams a magic ring of immense and unforgiving power. Solomon has just begun work on his marvelous temple, charging Khaba, a formidable magician in his royal court, to oversee its construction. The workforce is an ill-behaved bunch of demons, a particularly unruly djinni named Bartimaeus ...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published November 9th 2010 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published October 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Ring of Solomon, please sign up.

Navneeth Sundararaghavan Yes, it is a prequel. But nope, you need not read it first to understand the Bartimaeus trilogy any better. Amulet of Samarkand does a better job of…moreYes, it is a prequel. But nope, you need not read it first to understand the Bartimaeus trilogy any better. Amulet of Samarkand does a better job of introducing you to the world than this one.(less)
Jacob Karmiol I would recommend you read the trilogy first. It does a better job of introducing the unique setting.

Silvana
I love love love this book!

Please please PLEASEEEEEE Jonathan Stroud, write another prequel/sequel/epic poem/play/novella/memoir/thesis/whatever of Barty! We, his adoring fans, could never get enough of him!

Ok, back to the book. This is your typical Barty-like adventure. High-speed chases, extreme danger, lots of demons (scary, weird, yucky, you name it), strong (but flawed) characters, and of course...the trademark acerbic, sarcastic, narcissistic comments from our dear beloved jinni.

O Barty,
Rachel
Jun 22, 2015 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 11th-grade
Revisiting the world of Bartimaius, fans will be rewarded with everything we loved about the original books: a fast-paced, entertaining adventure with a satisfying ending. Most importantly, there's Bartimaius himself, back with his footnotes and customary cheek.

Bartimaius is one of the most unforgettable and entertaining characters come to kid's fantasy in the past few years, and there's no doubt he could carry several more good novels like The Ring of Solomon. Surpassing the original trilogy i
Daria
Dec 08, 2010 Daria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beloved-fantasy
It's Jerusalem, 950 B.C.E., but, much to our sheer delight, Bartimaeus could have been Dismissed out of 21st century London only moments ago. It seems that two millenia are nothing for this sharp-talking djinni, for Bart's as charmingly insolent as ever.

And Bartimaeus really is the highlight of the work. It's no wonder that Asmira struggles to be equally as appreciated by readers as Bartimaues is, just as Nathaniel and Kitty do in the original Bartimaeus Trilogy. The reader, so ensnared by the
 Δx Δp ≥ ½ ħ
Barty! Barty! Barty!

What a rofl book. Just laugh, laugh and laugh until my stomach hurts. Since first page, The Ring of Solomon was sooooooo funny that me started laughin' so hard.

Oh Barty, we love you. This book is hilarious, funny, and exciting. I think Barty is the most beloved fantasy characters all time. awesome!

I like this book it is a lot fun 'n you should get this book you will love Barty more and more and more and more!

Great job Mr. Stroud. Please, give us more Barty's stories.
Katy
Sep 08, 2013 Katy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own, ebook
When I finished The Bartimaeus Trilogy, I was hungry for more. Adding on to the trilogy would probably have been a disaster, but creating a sister book with the same humorous cheek of Bartimaeus', and living his adventures before his days with Nathaniel, was genius!!!! I started reading with a smile, and I finished it smiling. In addition, It left me wanting to go back and read the whole trilogy again!
Adam Rex
Mar 28, 2011 Adam Rex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it’s the heroic rogue of a main character, or the Arabian setting, or possibly even the Disney logotype on the spine of the jacket, but I got to thinking about the animated feature Aladdin. The first ten minutes of that movie contain a sprawling musical action set piece in which we learn that the titular hero
–Has to steal to eat
–HAS to eat to live
–Works really, really hard at it
–And did we mention he’s an orphan?
and anyway after he finally absconds with his hard-won loaf of bread he ju
MadameMelli
Leider gefiel mir die Vorgeschichte zu den Abenteuern von Bartimäus und Nathanael nicht so gut. Die Geschichte wies einige Längen auf und die meisten Fußnoten waren nicht soooooo witzig wie gewohnt.
Es gab trotzdem noch genügend Stellen, die mich zum Lachen gebracht haben und das Ende hat vieles noch einmal herausgerissen, weshalb das Buch gute 3,5 Sterne von mir bekommt.
Lucijaa
Feb 17, 2016 Lucijaa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, re-read
Don't know what to say about this book except that is one of the best ones out there!

I'm a big fan of Bartimaeus since I was a child, and imagine how thrilled I was when I found out Jonathan Stroud wrote one more book about Bartimaeus!

I was amazed by this book, and I have to say that with years, Jonathan hasn't lost his touch, and wrote another great book about Bartimaeus.

After reading this book, I kinda miss Nathaniel because I absolutely love having him and Bartimaeus in the same team.

It's pre
Jay Daze
Argh! This book took forever to get started. I wish there was some way to skip over about a hundred pages, the loong time it takes for Asmira and Bartimaeus to start working together, and foreground the nicely nasty maneuvering early on in the book instead of saving it up for a reveal later on. Only after the unveiling does Asmira start to become slightly interesting in her zealotry, but that only lasts for a few scenes.

The prequeal to Bartimaeus Trilogy, the story is set in ancient Jersualem wh
Malia
Dec 14, 2015 Malia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-of-2015
I really loved this book, the fourth (but actually a prequel) in the series! Bartimaeus was as fabulous as I remembered him. Further, I found the setting of ancient Jerusalem served to add to the whole feeling of exoticism, particularly with the famous figure of King Solomon in the midst of the action.
If you were a fan of the previous three books, I am sure you will enjoy this one, too. But even if you are new the stories of the djinni Bartimaeus, this is a good place to start, as it can easily
Linda
Jun 03, 2013 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both youth and Jonathan Stroud are wasted on the young. Seriously, the Bartimaeus books are far too fabulous to be sequestered in the same section with the Gossip Girls and the Twilight series.

The nice thing about this entry in the series is that it stands alone quite nicely. By the time you're finished with it, if you haven't already read the first three, you'll be running full-tilt to get your hands on them.

The plot? Oh, it's just your standard girl meets djinni meets evil magician meets king
Alyssa
Oct 17, 2016 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maninee
May 29, 2012 Maninee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
Year: 250 B.C.
Location: Jerusalem

The mighty king Solomon rules over Jerusalem and terrorises the neighbouring kingdoms of Edom, Sheba and many such others. He commands a horde of marids(highest level of djinn); bucketfuls of afrits(second level of djinn) and hundreds of djinnns. Commoners fall back in awe of his personality, magicians bow their heads in respect, entire empires bow to his will and tumble under his gaze. And all because of one reason. The Ring. The Ring. The ring that gives it's
Ashish
Jul 11, 2011 Ashish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solomon's Ring comes across like a summarized version of the other 3 books. Good people turn out to be bad, bad people turn out to be good, there are seemingly insurmountable odds that are heroically overcome, there are plucky young warrior women, jaded heroes exhausted with their burden, uncompromisingly evil villains, hilarious side notes and slapstick magic.
Why do I feel I've seen this somewhere before?
While definitely entertaining enough, you don't get an opportunity to connect with the ch
Joan
I read this after it won SLJ's Battle of the Books since everyone was raving about it. I was pretty dubious about it but no more! This is so much fun I have immediately started rereading this which I don't do often at all! The language and wit of Bartimaeus is just so much fun! The story is suspenseful and well done, and the other characters are all individual as well. I also like who got the worst punishment among the baddies, very interesting choice. I can't wait to start the original trilogy! ...more
Chrisanne
How I love sequels that are well-thought out. It's like getting back together with an old friend and picking right back up from where you left off. However, to clarify, this isn't a sequel. It's a prequel that feels like a sequel. But Bartimaeus is still his delightfully charming, impertinently saucy, and good(!) self. Great fun.
Clouds
Great to have Bartimaeus back!

[proper review to follow... at some point!]

After this I read: The Wind Through the Keyhole
Alvina
Feb 19, 2013 Alvina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-fiction
Barty kembaliiiiii…

Yah, sebenarnya tidak tepat juga dibilang ‘kembali’, karena cerita ini berlatar tahun 950 SM, jauh sebelum Cerita Barty dan Nathaniel di tiga buku sebelumnya.

Alkisah, Barty diperbudak oleh Ezekiel, yang merupakan salah satu penyihir kepercayaan Raja Solomon. Si Barty ditugaskan mencari barang berharga dari Eridu untuk dibawa ke Masternya, sialnya ketika Barty telah melaksanakan tugasnya, eh si Master mati karena ternyata ada jebakan di dalam patung yang dibawa Barty.

Begitu tah
Giovanna
3.75

Even when he isn't at his best Stroud is a good storyteller. The Ring Of Solomon isn't as good as the original Bartimaeus trilogy, but it's still good. I would not suggest you start reading Stroud from here, nor would I recommend reading this before The Amulet of Samarkand though, because I'm quite sure you'd like this more if you knew Barty and the magic system already. Still, if you loved the trilogy, read this. It's not perfect, it lacks something, but it's fun and fast.

Plotwise it was a
Antebar
L'anello di Salomone è un romanzo simpatico e scorrevole che avrebbe portato lodi a tanti altri autori, ma non a un diavolo di scrittore come Stroud. Lui poteva fare molto meglio.

La vicenda appare fin da subito pretestuosa e la trama è talmente scarna che sarebbe stata più adatta a un lungo racconto, piuttosto che a un romanzo; non sorprende che l'idea iniziale fosse di pubblicarlo a puntate sul web. E non sorprende nemmeno che fino a metà libro si sbadigli (con Asmira) o si rida un po' a casacc
Nadjab
Erste Sätze
Sonnenuntergang über den Olivenhainen. Der Himmel errötete pfirsichfarben wie ein verschämter Jüngling beim ersten Kuss.

Klappentext
Was aber treibt unser Held? Nachdem Bartimäus einen Magier König Salomos austrickst, verspeist und „fröhlich rülpsend“ hinfort fliegt, beginnen seine Verstrickungen. Auf frischer Tat ertappt, brummt man ihm unwürdige Arbeiten auf, welche er mit diversen Respektlosigkeiten quittiert. Unbelehrbar in Gestalt eines Nilpferds im Baströckchen anzügliche Lieder ü
Chachic
Jan 01, 2011 Chachic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Originally posted here.

Bartimaeus is back, with his trademark wit, humor and impudence. In the world created by Jonathan Stroud, demons are slaves to magicians who summon them from the Other Place. They are forced to accomplish tasks that usually involve prestige for their masters. There are many kinds of demons and Bartimaeus isn’t even one of the most powerful. He more than makes up for it in his own cunning way and has even served several powerful masters. In The Ring of Solomon, he serves Kh
Knjigoholičarka
Nakon što je po treći put odbila bračnu ponudu kralja Solomona, kraljica Balkis od Sabe (Sheba) našla se pred ultimatumom: ili će plaćati visok godišnji danak Jerusalimu, ili će njena mala kraljevina biti napadnuta kroz 14 dana. Umesto odgovora, kraljica šalje svoju možda ne najbolju, ali svakako najverniju ratnicu, Asmiru, na tajni zadatak kako bi ubila kralja Solomona i otela mu čarobni Prsten, koji svome nosiocu daje neverovatne moći i zapravo čini Solomona zastrašujućim vladarom, a Jerusalim ...more
Felita Hardigaloeh
ketemu lagi dg bartimeus...

salut dg penerjemahnya, jadi gampang baca....

ini prequel ya? berarti sebelum barty ketemu dg nathaniel ?

kupikir ini cerita barty dg ptolemy, sang master kesukaan barty. ternyata bukan. tapi ga kalah seru.

barty ini jin narsis, punya segudang kejailan dan....jika masternya hanya penyihir "biasa" : suka nyuruh2 dan punya sifat tamak, tanpa segan2 barty akan menggunakan akalnya utk melepaskan diri bahkan memakannya...

nah, apa yg dilakukan barty jika ketemu master yg bukan
hpboy13
A worthy companion to the astounding Bartimaeus trilogy, Ring of Solomon was a fascinating book about Bartimaeus’s shenanigans in prehistoric Jerusalem. Just as with the other books, I found myself laughing copiously at Bartimaeus’s snark, and reading spellbound during some fantastic action sequences. Admittedly, I did not care for Asmira’s POV chapters for the most part, but once she met up with Bartimaeus they became tolerable.

Also like the rest of the series, Ring of Solomon was surprisingly
Jesica
I've been waiting to read this book since in the other books Bartimaeus seems to always boast about how he'd have talked to Solomon. In one ocassion, I don't remember wich book, Bartimaeus said that it was only a brief chat. well it evidently more than that. Bartimaeus had practically saved Solomon's life! I thought Barti's famous chat with Solomon would be kind of formal. as it turned out, the first time Solomon heard about the djinni was when he got some report about Bartimaeus singing songs i ...more
Jenna
Great glimpse into Bartimaeus's old life. His narration was wonderful as usual and seeing this darker, Ptolemy-less Bartimaeus was an interesting contrast, as all the previous iterations had already been highly influenced by the boy magician. Although Bartimaeus does seem to already lean towards young human forms. But winged!

For the characters, I don't really have to say that Bartimaeus was great. I liked seeing him work together (briefly) with Faquarl. Including Khaba's POV, however, I really
oliviasbooks
I think this is my favorite Bartimaeus installment. A keeper. I really loved volume 1 and I enjoyed volume 2 and 3 - although I certainly felt like punching pomptous Nathaniel the harder and longer the older and cockier he got. Sheban assasin Asmira was a two-side, flawed character as well, but I liked her inspite of her pink "I-love-the-ruler-of-my-country-unconditionally" glasses right from the start. Bartimaeus' voice was even saucier than ever. And the historical/biblical setting in Israel a ...more
Wesley
Mar 04, 2012 Wesley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love these books, you can’t not like Bartimaeus, and it’s impossible. He’s so classy, it’s ridiculous, and this installment just keeps that going. These books basically describe themselves. If you’ve read even one, you basically get the picture across the board. If you enjoyed the previous 3, this is no different, although it’s about Barty’ more of a branch compared to the other 3 but Pro-Bartimaeus non-the-less. Enjoy.

Format: audiobook (these are fantastic audiobooks)
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Another entertaining book in this series, however I enjoyed the original trilogy a lot more, other than the Jinn, there where not really any characters that grabbed my attention, but the trilogy had quite a few I really liked.
Around the Year i...: The Ring of Solomon, by Jonathan Stroud 6 13 Aug 17, 2016 12:23PM
Gifts for my Nephew 2 4 Mar 13, 2016 10:39AM
What should be next? 15 66 Nov 11, 2014 04:35PM
Addicted to YA: The Ring of Solomon 12 171 Apr 07, 2014 04:50PM
The Backlot Gay B...: The Ring of Solomon by Jonathan Stroud 1 7 Mar 28, 2014 09:41AM
What did you think? 9 31 Mar 21, 2013 03:55PM
  • Dschinnland (Die Sturmkönige, #1)
  • Mothstorm (Larklight, #3)
  • Chronicle (Ther Melian, #2)
  • Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, Jilid III
  • The Edge Chronicles 10: The Immortals: The Book of Nate
  • Fantasy Fiesta 2010: Antologi Cerita Fantasi Terbaik 2010
  • Darke (Septimus Heap, #6)
  • The Search for the Red Dragon (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #2)
  • Silvertongue (Stoneheart Trilogy, #3)
  • Lee Raven, Boy Thief
  • The Legend of the King (The Squire's Tales, #10)
  • Lamplighter (Monster Blood Tattoo, #2)
  • Lady Friday (The Keys to the Kingdom, #5)
  • Mortal Coil (Skulduggery Pleasant, #5)
  • Fly Trap (Fly by Night, #2)
  • The Eternal Flame (Merlin Saga, #11)
  • The Manticore's Secret (GameWorld Trilogy #2)
Jonathan Anthony Stroud is an author of fantasy books, mainly for children and youths.

Stroud grew up in St Albans where he enjoyed reading books, drawing pictures, and writing stories. Between the ages seven and nine he was often ill, so he spent most of his days in the hospital or in his bed at home. To escape boredom he would occupy himself with books and stories. After he completed his studies
More about Jonathan Stroud...

Bartimaeus Sequence (4 books)
  • The Amulet of Samarkand (Bartimaeus, #1)
  • The Golem's Eye (Bartimaeus, #2)
  • Ptolemy's Gate (Bartimaeus, #3)

“Can you define "plan" as "a loose sequence of manifestly inadequate observations and conjectures, held together by panic, indecision, and ignorance"? If so, it was a very good plan.” 219 likes
“Besides, if you're going to die horribly, you might as well do it with style.” 132 likes