Start by marking “Closet Case” as Want to Read:
Closet Case

Closet Case

A brash, outrageous novel from the irresistible author of Fag Hag. Lionel Frank is a man as desperate to conceal his homosexuality from his ad agency colleagues as he is to indulge it at night. But poor Lionel is playing the straight man in a world where every success takes him one step closer to disaster.
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published May 1st 1994 by Plume

To ask other readers questions about Closet Case, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Closet Case

Marsha
Apr 19, 2014 Marsha rated it it was amazing
The exquisite agony of being in the closet has been rarely more hilariously penned than by Mr. Rodi. Poor Lionel Frank is a truly memorable literary creation. In his increasingly frantic attempts to appear straight, he runs into such dilemmas he comes off as being like a Keystone cop—it’s just one ineffectual flailing after another. Desperately horny, lonely and sexually frustrated, Lionel just can’t seem to get a break and his yearnings after inappropriate men are both touching and vastly amusi ...more
Jay
Dec 31, 2009 Jay rated it it was amazing
I read this book years ago and I was an immediate Robert Rodi fan - his writing sparkles and his characters are full of humour and affection. His books might be considered 'light reading', but they are fabulous nonetheless.
This book ended far too soon, and I really wanted to know what else happened to these wonderfully likeable characters.
_inbetween_
Aug 12, 2007 _inbetween_ rated it it was ok
IIRC, I had liked Fag Hag - it wasn't as funny as touted, and it was severe at a time when I was looking for gay romance, but it had very funny bits and terribly true observations. I think!
I'm no longer sure, because Closet Case starts out weakly. The writing isn't a pleasure to read, and it's dangerously close to that Ben Idontwanttorememberhisname of the Gay Hollywood School, ie. extremely boring and bland while listing what you know you're meant to find hilarious yuppy life.
I'm still hoping t
Carlos Mock
Mar 23, 2016 Carlos Mock rated it really liked it
Closet Case is the term use in the gay world for someone who has not "come out." He decides to hide his homosexuality from everyone.

Rodi has created a great case. You have an ad exec firmly in the closet, his flamboyant hairdresser, his conservative, gossipy coworkers, his army dad, his fundamentalist Christian sister, and his downstairs Latina neighbor and her 'gay straight man' boyfriend. Not to mention the guy from Transylvania...

And it all happens in the Chicago scene. Being from Chocago I e
Melanie Williams
Aug 01, 2010 Melanie Williams rated it liked it
While I really enjoyed this book, I didn't find it as laugh-out-loud funny as other reviews toted it to be. It was a bit wordy in parts, and I have to admit, I skipped whole lines just to get to the point.

Overall, a pretty good read. Next on my list is Rodi's Drag Queen. Hopefully it's a bit funnier.
Margaret McCamant
Book group selection. This represents what I like best about a book group--it pushes me to read things I have never heard of or considered.

And I think I've met the author in singing classes at the Old Town School, only I didn't know he was a novelist, just a good singer.
Danny
Mar 20, 2007 Danny rated it liked it
Not as good as his others but still a good read
Closetcase
May 03, 2010 Closetcase rated it liked it
Not my favorite of his work. I found it to be an ok read. Not my favorite Rodi book
Vika Gardner
Mar 15, 2009 Vika Gardner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Among the funniest books I have ever had the pleasure to have read.
Joseph
Jan 07, 2012 Joseph rated it liked it
A crazy plot, but definitely fun.
Bob Merrick
Bob Merrick rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2012
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2008
Louis
Louis rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2014
Joel
Joel rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2008
Tamara
Tamara rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
E.M. Taggart
E.M. Taggart rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2014
Barrie
Barrie rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2013
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2012
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2008
Kit
Kit rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2008
Robert W.
Robert W. rated it liked it
May 07, 2015
Erick
Erick rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2011
Daniel J Cheetham
Daniel J Cheetham rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2015
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Feb 18, 2012
Dani
Dani rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2012
Jason Lobdell
Jason Lobdell rated it it was ok
Dec 26, 2012
Brian
Brian rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2007
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2012
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Cat
Cat rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Tim and Pete
  • Openly Bob
  • Every Nine Seconds
  • The Easy Way Out
  • The Trouble Boy
  • Howtown (Henry Rios Mystery, #3)
  • Always Have, Always Will
  • Someone Like You
  • Gossip
  • One for the Gods (Peter & Charlie Trilogy)
  • I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore
  • Nights in Aruba
  • Fortunes of War
  • The Sea
  • The Dreyfus Affair: A Love Story
  • Seti's Heart
  • Alec Baldwin Doesn't Love Me & Other Trials from My Queer Life
  • Billy's Boy (Harlan's Story, #3)
Robert was born in Chicago in the conformist 1950s, grew up in the insurrectionist 1960s, came of age in the hedonist 1970s, and went to work in the elitist 1980s. This roller-coaster ride has left him with a distinct aversion to isms of any kind; it also gave him an ear for hypocrisy, cant, and platitudes that allowed him, in the 1990s, to become a much-lauded social satirist.

After seven acclaime
More about Robert Rodi...