Start by marking “Marley Goes to School” as Want to Read:
Marley Goes to School

Marley Goes to School (Marley Picture Books)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  227 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
It's the first day of school, and Cassie is all set to go. So is her dog, Marley!

Audio, 0 pages
Published July 7th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published July 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Marley Goes to School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marley Goes to School

Bailey Kincaid
This is a story about a dog named Marley and his best friend Cassie. It's Cassie's first day of school she is very excited about it. Her dog Marley is also excited and is convinced he will get to go with her to school. In fact, he digs his way out of their backyard and finds his way to the school. He trolls through all of the different classes and causes chaos at the school until the end of the day. The principal and all of her teachers chase Marley all the way back to his house where he runs in ...more
Eva Leger
Nov 06, 2010 Eva Leger rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: julias-books
Eh. I know if I was Grogan I'd ride until the wheels fell off too but I'm thinking they're starting to wobble. This was cute but that's about it. And it was a little bit irky too. The little brother with the silly little babble talk? Thank God there was only about two sentences from him or I'd have slammed this shut before finishing. Who wants to read that aloud? Or not aloud? Or any old way? Yuck. :Waddy go to school too!" Eeew. Needless to say I skipped those sentences.
I love Marley. I haven'
Maria
Oct 01, 2010 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I Can Tell You:
If you find the names Marley and John Grogan familiar, it is not surprise. This is the same John who wrote the adult book Marley and Me.

My kids love how big the book is (10 x 10). It can lie on all our laps and the pictures take up both pages.

Marley is sweet and funny. He just misses his "Cassie" while she is in school. Sometime I know a lot about.

My kids loved the pictures, especially this one! Marley and Cassie sleeping together with smiles. Too cute.

The biggest drawback to
Cayia
Jan 31, 2016 Cayia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marley Goes to School is based on a true story and movie about Marley the dog. Marley is energetic and mischievous, but has a strong bond with her owners, especially Cassie. As Marley watches Cassie get ready for school, he realizes that he wants to go with Cassie. Marley gets his best bones ready for school, but sadly his owners will not let him go with Cassie. Marley finds an escape, and is off to go see Cassie at school. This book takes the reader through the wild and exciting adventures that ...more
Katherine
This is a fun book about a dog who decides to follow one of his owners to school one day. Students will be able to relate to this story if they have ever had a pet or have seen a dog visit their school before. This would be a great book to read if a dog was coming to visit your school or classroom. In my first grade classroom last semester we had the opportunity to have a few dogs visit the class.
Dolly
Feb 08, 2010 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a silly book starring John Grogan's lovable Marley, the incorrigible dog who gets into everything. While I really enjoyed his novel, these books for children are good, but not great. The colorful illustrations are cute and the humorous ways Marley gets into trouble definitely elicited a laugh from our girls. They especially liked his disguise while sitting in Mrs. Weatherbee's class.
The Blurb Radio Show
Caveat: this review is written by a grown up "cat" (not dog) person.

In my experience a young child will rarely say no to the chance to sit down with an adult and read a picture book with them. I read this with my three year old daughter, and while she enjoyed the experience, I don't think it will feature on her "high rotation" bookshelf.

I read John Grogan's "Marley and me" last year and it was okay, despite the constant feeling of dread and disbelief as page after page revealed Marley's amazing
Carla Glover

Although he's told to stay, Marley digs a tunnel out of the backyard and sniffs his way to school. As he roams the halls looking for Cassie, he finds trouble instead. From wolfing down hot dogs in the cafeteria to setting free a bunch of mice in science class, Marley won't stop until he locates his best friend. This lovable and rowdy dog may not be much of an academic, but he's full of school spirit!
Nicole
Jan 02, 2016 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would probably give this 2.5 stars but it is cute and in the world of young kids a bit suspenseful even if the ending is altogether anticlimactic. The story of a girl and her canine bestie is one that my dog loving daughter can not resist and that's how it ended up on her library list. It did have a few entertaining surprises and heartwarming moments- but not enough for it to be on our purchase list.
Maia
May 21, 2014 Maia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another laugh out loud MarleyJohn Grogan title for H and E
Melanie
John Grogan, author of the wildly popular adult memoir "Marley and Me," writes a picture book about the troublesome dog following his girl to school. It's a cute but highly predictable story with a few problems. For example, what grade school has a science room with mice in a cage?

Something bothers me about the art in this book, as well. It strongly reminds me of the artwork from "Dick and Jane." Static and industry standard illustrations lack movement and true multicultural representation. Ther
Julie Lewis
Oct 05, 2015 Julie Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of My 3 year olds favorites for a long time.
Roy
Jul 20, 2009 Roy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-children
I believe this children's book is related to the non-fiction book and subquent movie "Marley and Me" that I have neither read nor seen. I'm not particularly inclined to read the version of Marley's story meant for adults, and will only watch it on screen if it's cable on when I have absolutely nothing better to do and feel like looking at Jennifer Aniston for a couple hours. But I did find John Grogan's version of Marley's story meant for children to be rather adorable, as did my daughter.
Margaret Chind
This book is awesome. I am quite certain it will be my favorite back-to-school read this year. Funny and full of smart humorous and pure fun. I love it. So silly, but in all the right ways. I love being able to show my almost three year old the picture of massacred school supplies and asking what is what. This is a keeper and a recommended read for sure!

Thanks to HC.
Typed on Kindle Fire.

scheduled: http://creativemadnessmama.com/blog/2...
Kelsey
Oct 11, 2009 Kelsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a little girl named Cassie and her dog Marley. It’s Cassie’s first day of school and Marley thinks it’s his turn to go to school as well. Marley digs a tunnel to get out of the backyard and soon finds himself in a little bit of trouble while roaming the school looking for Cassie. This is a good book to read in the classroom for the first day of school.
Beth
Mar 22, 2010 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Marley wants to go to school with Cassie. He digs his way out from home, finds the copier, visits different types of dogs in the lunchroom, visits the band, frees the mice from science, goes through the library and catches a basketball at gym. Marley made a good choice by helping the mice, because they help him escape. This story adds a literal match to "teacher's pet."
Ronda
Sep 11, 2010 Ronda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I've been reading this one with my K-2 kids They get a kick out of all the mischief Marley gets into--though some of them seem a little concerned about Marley being in trouble--but the last bit about Marley giving the principal a big sloppy dog kiss? That usually alleves any residual worry--and generally gets a big "Ewwwwww!" Fun.
Linda Costello
This book has a picture of the sadest dog face ever!!! Marley can not stand to be away from his owner on her first day of school... so he digs under the fence and finds her. As he looks we get a great run down of all of the components of school. He runs through gym class, the library, science...etc.
Luann
Apr 02, 2010 Luann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, 2010
A somewhat silly book about Marley's adventures on Cassie's first day of school. I think many kids would find this hilarious. I did enjoy some parts, but I thought others were a bit unbelievable. What dog would stop by the copy center and make photocopies of their face?
Megan Zimmerman
What will happen to Marley at school? A great book on predictions, as Marley and his owner Cassie go to their first day of school. Also, a great book to read to students on the first day to discuss their excitement and what makes them nervous.
Christine
Great illustrations, although I felt the story doesn't match the quality of illustration. The reaction of the school officials turned on a dime. Just because the dog licks the principal's face everyone changes their tune?
Sister Florence
This book is of course for children but the illustrations are for adults who loved"Make Way for Ducklings" Great christmas gift for Children.
Ricard Cowdrey also has another book illustrated, "The Christmas
Baby."

Tamara the Librarian
Oct 24, 2009 Tamara the Librarian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1st, 2nd
Pictures look like they are from Dick and Jane books from the 70s-- not sure why the illustrator used that style. Marley sneaks into the school and wreaks havoc because he misses Cassie. Kids would probably find it fun.
Catherine Woodman
Cute, which sums it up. Not great, not wonderful, but it is cute, almost to a fault. I love dogs, and like to give books that encourage their admittance into families, but this was just a little too much of a muchness for me.
Catherine Woodman
Kim Miller
I love the illustrations in this book. I love that Marley is so loyal, and that the little girl is preparing for school the night before. The author was sure to add humor and silliness. This is a fun back to school book to read.
Matthew
Sep 14, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The students I read this with loved it. Really nicely written and the illustration that ranked as a consistent favorite was the Marley in disguise in Mrs. Weatherbee's math class. A real crowd pleaser.
Lauren
This story was great for me to present on the first day of school because Marley acts and looks just like my dog, Brinklee. It's a great way to introduce something about myself and part of my family.
Sarah Shelby
My kids both loved this book. Cute story line. Neither of them have seen the movie, but that probably makes it better, they love dogs so this was perfect for them.
Trista
May 04, 2011 Trista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A very cute story about Marley the dog and the trouble he always gets into. I used this book to teach personification, alliteration, and onomatopoeia to my students.
  • Miss Mingo and the Fire Drill
  • Grandpa's Teeth
  • Adèle & Simon in America
  • Mrs. McTats and Her Houseful of Cats
  • I Didn't Do It
  • Mimi's Dada Catifesto
  • Play Ball! (Pete the Cat: I Can Read)
  • Mathilda and the Orange Balloon
  • Circle Dogs
  • Dirt on My Shirt
  • Dixie
  • Martha Blah Blah
  • The Underpants Zoo
  • Posy
  • Wolf Won't Bite!
  • Chester's Masterpiece (Chester)
  • Walter the Farting Dog: Banned From the Beach
  • Sitting in My Box
John Grogan has spent more than 25 years as a newspaper journalist. Previously he worked as a reporter, bureau chief, and columnist at newspaper in Michigan and Florida. He is also the former editor on chief of Rodale's Organic Gardening magazine. His work has won numerous awards, including the National Press Club's Consumer Journalism Award. His first book, Marley & Me, is a number one inte ...more
More about John Grogan...

Marley Picture Books (5 books)
  • Bad Dog, Marley!
  • A Very Marley Christmas
  • Marley and the Kittens
  • Trick or Treat, Marley!