The Happy Prince

The Happy Prince

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Playwright, poet, essayist, flamboyant man-about-town, Oscar Wilde pack an astonishing amount of work, genius, and controversy into two short decades, producing masterworks in every literary genre. This selection includes almost all of his short stories, including "The Canterville Ghost," "The Fisherman and his Soul," and "The Remarkable Rocket."

Alongside THE MODEL MILLION...more
Published April 28th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published May 1888)

David Ceballos Correa
No recordaba estos cuentos, una grata relectura después de más de diez años, de estas fábulas mordaces, que en vez de moraleja llegan algunas a entregarnos una crueldad inmisericorde, pero cotidiana al final de cuentas, transversal en el espacio y el tiempo: i) una estatua-príncipe, acongojada de la miseria que azota al pueblo, una que en su vida anterior jamás conoció en medio de la felicidad que le entregaba la conformidad y el placer, decide aplacar el sufrimiento de los pobladores, en este i...more
Ian
I read this as a child and was always moved to tears by the sad story of the swallow and the prince. I loved this story and have read it for my children.

Have to say I am genuinely surprised at some of the other reviews for this book that end up covering feminism, homosexuality, antisemitism and who knows what else. What ever happened to enjoying a story for what it is rather than this incessant need to analyse and over complicate?
From BBC Radio 4 Extra - Short Stories by Oscar Wilde:
From their aerial view, a beautiful statue and a swallow team up to help the poor in the city below. Read by John Moffatt.

Nashwa
"Dear little Swallow," said the Prince, "you tell me of marvelous things, but more marvelous than anything is the suffering of men and of women. There is no Mystery so great as Misery. Fly over my city, little Swallow, and tell me what you see there."

So the Swallow flew over the great city, and saw the rich making merry in their beautiful houses, while the beggars were sitting at the gates. He flew into dark lanes, and saw the white faces of starving children looking out listlessly at the black...more
Annette
Terminé con una lagrimita en el corazón de plomo del principito y en el ala de la golondrina mi alma.

Siendo niña lo escuché alguna vez, pero es de esos libros que siempre es bueno leer y releer

Vicky Parekh
It is a story of a statue that is covered in gold and jewels everyone admires him but he just stands there alone. One day a bird goes to nest at his feet and he asks the bird to help him help others that he sees are in need. He gives away all he has, even his sapphire eyes, which leave him blind, until he has nothing and is no longer admired by the rich men in town. The bird dies and he falls in love with the statue and can't bear to leave him standing alone, the statue is melted apart from his...more
Reem
Who knew I could learn this much from a swallow bird? Brilliant.
Job Favela
Super triste. Esta historia la leí varias veces cuando estaba pequeñuelo, de unos ocho o nueve años. Trata de una imponente estatua, bella y rica en joyas y oro que se alza en medio de una ciudad llena de bullicio y por aqui y por alla de tristeza. El príncipe busca ayudar a los que lo necesitan y haciéndose amigo de una golondrina se juntan para conseguirlo.
Althea Ann
Much as I love Wilde; this is not one of my favorite fairy tales. Its moralizing tone and theme of self-sacrifice/martyrdom may seem surprising to anyone familiar with Wilde's character. Overall, it just feels a bit saccharin and flat. It's OK, but it has none of the incisive wit that Wilde's better writing displays.
Ari Mrls
Este fue uno de los primeros libros que leí y fue tan hermoso, recuerdo cada y una de sus palabras y cada vez que recuerdo me dan ganas de llorar, realmente me enseño lo que era la amistad a mis 8 años de edad, así que adoro este libro me trae recuerdos hermosos.
Manuel Gugole
Che dire ... mi ha regalato la possibilità di vivere 20 minuti immerso in riflessioni riguardanti tristi realtà della vita. Riflettere sulla povertà, sull'umiltà, sulla ricchezza, sul destino, sulla generosità e sulla ceca avarizia.
Zorena
A delightful little story that will stay with me for a long time. Wilde's fascination with religion, life's injustice's and rightness doesn't overshadow the tale as it could have but instead gives us a wonderful 'what if'.
Rohit
Oscar Wilde at his finest. The stories are short and poetic. His humour is as sardonic as ever. And he touches the heart of the reader each and every time. These stories don't have an age or a place. These are *forever*.
Namiko
This is not simplified so I had some trouble reading it even though I enjoyed it. I've read a simplified one so I felt the original one different. I didn't know "The Town Councilors" or "Mayor" part.
Paula
Touching, full of symbolism, beauty, impossible not to shed a tear or two. Always present is the wit and the moral aestheticism. For children and adults alike.
EsMerol
Decir que lloré ¿es una reseña? La manera en que este cuento es contado (quiero decir, en que fué escrito), es fluido y sencillamente, conmovedor.
Mabel Geronimo
A beautiful story that show us that the true and important things of life, sometimes are invisible to human eyes.
María Border
Si bien lo leí en la edición de Robin Hood, adoro este cuento.
Usako Rosales
Creo que es el cuento más bonito que he leído en mi vida.
R
This is a sad one. Made me cry as a child !
Sara
Ah que dulcecito junto con el gigante
Miri
How I love Oscar Wilde.
Oscar Fingal O'Flahertie Wills Wilde was an Irish playwright, poet and author of numerous short stories and one novel. Known for his biting wit, and a plentitude of aphorisms, he became one of the most successful playwrights of the late Victorian era in London, and one of the greatest celebrities of his day. Several of his plays continue to be widely performed, especially The Importance of Being E...more
More about Oscar Wilde...
The Picture of Dorian Gray The Importance of Being Earnest The Importance of Being Earnest and Other Plays   An Ideal Husband The Canterville Ghost