Beautiful Bodies: A Novel

Beautiful Bodies: A Novel

2.64 of 5 stars 2.64  ·  rating details  ·  188 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Manhattan, the coldest night of the year -- six best friends rush to attend a celebration. Blown by wind and snow, the women arrive flushed, each caught in midadventure....
Tonight's the night of nights -- to rejoice in a new lover, leave an unfaithful husband, or decide to have a baby on one's own. These "six in the city" profes-sional women fight for their female choice...more
Published March 1st 2003 by Washington Square Press (first published 2002)

Kari
First book chosen for "book club". I thought it was the perfect choice, especially given the winter we've had in chicago this year.

A great dissection of six friends in their late 30's living in New York.
Marika
A wonderful story about 6 female friends: Jessie, Nina, Lisbeth, Sue Carol, Claire and Martha. You can see a little bit of yourself in each and every one of these 36 to 40 year old ladies.
Amber Bryant
Good book about a bunch of friends..their relationships with people in their lives, with themselves & each other.
Marie
A more realistic, intelligent "Sex and the City": 6 long-time female friends at a dinner party.
Yankel Gofshteyn
Ony of my favourite books, so in style of " The Hours" by Michael Cunnigham
Erin
This is a horrible book.
Anita Smith
Aug 24, 2008 Anita Smith rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers who like to read about female friendship drama.
Shelves: books-i-own
Just finished this today... it was a pretty good book! A very fast read (I read it in five days). It reads like a play, almost- it takes place over one evening in a NYC loft with six main characters and a few minor ones, so it could easily be a theater production. Anyway, a very nice story about the complex relationships that go on between those friends you've been friends with forever, and the ups and downs that go along with that kind of friendship- where you've been friends forever, and that'...more
Karyn
The author is horribly obsessed with food and body weight; watching other women eat, monitoring her own eating, judging the weight of other women, ascribing stereotypes to women based on their body weight, etc. This comes through loud and clear in her writing. The sad thing is, overlooking all of the above, her actual writing is complex and well written--but it's completely overshadowed by her personal demons--and what one must assume--her eating disorders.
Deidre
I have the sneaking suspicion I have read this book before. Was worth a second read. Though I found my self terribly annoyed with many one of main characters the book focuses on, I found it interesting to look at just WHY they annoyed me so. Does each woman act in ways that remind me of myself, or a friend who I put up with, or someone I wish I knew how to deal with? If you are not triggered by the circle of friends or at least recognize relationships within your own girlfriend circle, you are l...more
Meh. I wasn't in love with this. I found the opening chapters following each woman's journey to the party to be overly long and drawn out, although I did enjoy the varied reactions to the flasher!

For me, the book got going once they were all together and I really really dislike Martha so the author is doing something right. As others have said, it's Sex & The City-esq but not a lot actually happens.......it would probably make a good stage play though!
Tanja
Total chick-lit (but one can tell that by the cover! ;)) Kind of Sex and the City-ish. A fun enough read and kept me entertained on the Eurostar and distracted while we were delayed at Lille for 30min because of people on the track (why did it take them half an hour to remove people from the track?! I still don't get it...)
msjoonee
I read this years ago. I didn't hate it and i remember the characters well enough. Then again, i never reread it either. If you file it under chick-lit it falls under the less-fluffy variety, meaning you can read it in public and still respect yourself in the morning. The blurb compares it to Dorothy Parker. Er...no. Just no.
Amy
I liked this book. Sort of like Sex in the City - which I didn't watch much of - but more realistic. In the beginning, each chapter introduces you to a woman from a circle of friends gathering together to celebrate a baby on the way. I don't know what I expected from the ending, but it was a little anti-climactic.
Hanny
This book tells the story of six women who come together for a non-traditional baby shower in New York. The entire story takes place in one
night. The author describes the complexities of each woman's life. It had a bit of a surreal feeling about it. I'm not sure if I'd recommend it.
Stephanie
It was okay... I found it on a table in the middle school book swap and I grabbed it because it certainly ISN'T a middle school book. I read it on a plane ride, and it passed the time. There were a couple of memorable scenes, but it was difficult to connect with the characters.
Dena
I'm not sure this was ever published. I read an advanced copy. The whole book built up the characters and the issues going on their lives, but resolved nothing. Not a good book. I do not recommend.
Virginia Albanese
I liked the writing and setting of this book and should probably give it a higher rating since I really disliked couple of the characters and she made one sense their inner selves.
Jo
Entertaining, but very middle of the road. Nothing outstanding about it. Very reminiscent of Sex and the City.
Cassandra Javier
ahh, vague, and amateurish. it has been sitting in my shelf since I finished it years ago.
Beth
Eh, like everyone else said...Sex and the City. Nothing profound, good light read.
Lauren
Jul 06, 2008 Lauren added it
i read about 70 pages and gave up. I just couldn't get into it... not sure why.
This book was okay. Kinda slow, but ended up good in the end.
Jessica
dont remember when i read this or if i liked it but i did read it.
Heather
These are characters that feel like SATC grown up.
Casey
Pretty boring. I wouldn't recommend it.
Jane Boyd
Don't waste your life reading this.
Krista
Ech...shallow.
Angela
good chic lit
Carrie Sypherd
Carrie Sypherd is currently reading it
Jul 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Sleeping Arrangements A Place in the Country The Midnight Diary of Zoya Blume (Laura Geringer Books) Dreams of Rescue: A Novel Six Filles Dans Le Vent