Start by marking “The Compass” as Want to Read:
The Compass

The Compass

The Compass is a life transformation novel that will guide you on a journey of self-discovery. At the core of The Compass are specific lessons about belief systems and understanding who you really are in order to live out your destiny.Jonathan, the main character, escapes his suburban life after a tragedy that alters his plans for the future. Paralyzed by grief, he decides ...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Vanguard Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Compass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Compass

David
Jun 16, 2012 David rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok. The book had some lessons to tell, and was most certainly interesting. Yet the story felt fake and contrived. I believe in destiny and listening to your inner voice, as well as meeting the people that you need at a particular moment. But this story didn't seem remotely possible. Plus the explanations/lessons at the end seemed to take away from the book rather than add. The book was compared to The Alchemist, yet the alchemist was abstact enough for someone to draw their own conclusions/lesso ...more
Keith
Feb 11, 2013 Keith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I’ve never been enamored with self-help books, self-help speakers or other such supportive paraphernalia but somehow I ended up with this book. Okay, I thought it was a novel and it had a slick dust jacket with a hiker on the cover and I was in a hurry, so I bought it. It claims to be “a novel that will guide you on a journey of self-discovery”. It may be fiction but it’s not a novel---unless you consider a string of incidents held together by a story, as full of holes as a piece of Swiss cheese ...more
Samantha
Feb 07, 2013 Samantha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't very impressed with this book. I feel like all books about "finding yourself" that include travel are stories that really only apply to people with money. Whatever happened to the lesson of The Wizard of Oz, that happiness is to be found in your own backyard?
Jo Anne
Nov 06, 2009 Jo Anne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
A watered down The Alchemist.
Caprice
Dec 08, 2016 Caprice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book to anyone who is beyond contemplating change and ready to break ground! It is not a book to be criticized, if one does not like it, then it is an active choice to refute the good this book can exude into ones mind.
Kay Elizabeth
Feb 17, 2010 Kay Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Published by Vanguard Press, The Compass (ISBN-10: 1593155425, ISBN-13: 9781593155421) by Tammy Kling and John Spencer Ellis is a soul stirring narrative of one man’s journey into the depths of self discovery. Following a terrible accident involving Johnathan’s wife and young daughter, he can no longer stand the life he finds himself living. Johnathan simply walks away from it all one day and travels amongst unfamiliar lands and people.

During his unplanned trek Johnathan encounters characters wh
José
Oct 10, 2016 José rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing read

A must read for anyone who's doing some soul searching! Reminded me of The Alchemist, but the setting is our time.
Mahisa Ajy
Feb 12, 2014 Mahisa Ajy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buku ini menceritakan tentang perjalanan seseorang bernama Jonathan yang sedang memiliki masalah di hidupnya. Ia lebih memilih untuk mengasingkan kehidupannya dengan bepergian ke berbagai tempat. Tanpa disadari ia bertemu dengan orang-orang baru yang mengajarkan mengenai arti kehidupan yang sebenarnya.

Ia mengira ini adalah sebuah kebetulan semata. Tapi nyatanya sesuatu di dunia ini ialah tak ada yang kebetulan. Semuanya sudah digariskan.

Marylin, seorang psikolog yang sedang sekarat. Di sisa wak
Alonsita
Aug 15, 2015 Alonsita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished-reading
Vrlo nadahnjujuća, psihološka knjiga, jedna od onih koja se čita opet i iznova, koja pruža toliko potrebno nadahnuće kada padnemo na dno ili krenemo put istog. Stiže u ruke upravo onda kada nam je to najviše potrebno, kada nam je potrebna pomoć da ne skrenemo s puta toliko željene promjene i traženog izlaza.
Preporučam bez imalo razmišljanja!!!

"Osvrni se oko sebe! Živi smo! Pogledaj ovu veličanstvenu ljepotu u kojoj se budimo svakog jutra. Koliko ti je još ljeta ili jeseni preostalo? Nema vremena
Christianne
This book aims to inspire readers but what it did to me I started to question some realist in the book. It never inspired me nor motivates me. I actually started asking some realistic fact in the life of Jonathan. People are always lost and travelling are just suited to those who has money, what if those people who are lost doesn't have enough money. So that means they can't find their selves.

Also, I'll almost rated this as four but somehow reaching the end part I changed my mind. I wasn't conv
Gail Lipe
The book is a metaphor for the journey of life we all face, with its ups and downs, peaks and valleys. Life lessons about belief systems, authenticity, self-empowerment, believing in dreams and understanding who you truly are permeate the pages. It is meant to move the reader to contemplate the question: "What will move your inner compass?"
A good book as we get closer to the end of the year, when people view the last year and make goals for the next? The book is a quick read with deep questions.
Sandra
Nov 21, 2011 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From the inside cover...The Compass ia a metaphor for the journey of our lives. In the tradition of The Alchemist, The Compass provides you with specific life lessons about authenticity, self-impowerment, and believing in your dreams. As humans we are all connected - by love, pain, and sometimes even by tragedies or events we cannot control. Each one of us travels a unique path, yet are linked by experiences and emotions. In this connectiveness, there is life. This book is a novel, with a powerf ...more
Noya
Aug 22, 2009 Noya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finished this book in two working days. Imagine that, i was able to finish it with all the deadlines to meet. this book is similar to the plot of the Alchemist. but what so great about this book is that it is about real people in our time. so it easy to relate to. This book is about the "Valleys of Life", the ups and downs. Worth reading!!! my favorite lines on this book are: "The unexamined life is not worth living"......Sometimes you must let go of the life you had planned in order to make a r ...more
Amafle
Jul 02, 2012 Amafle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es un libro muy inspirador, varias de sus frases te darán mucho en que pensar. El viaje de Jonathan nos lleva a descubrir un poco de nuestra propia alma.
Argumentalmente es un buen libro, aunque decae un poco casi al final, pero la verdad en ningún momento dejo de sorprenderme.
Los libros de autoayuda poco me gustan pero este es la excepción.

"Solo si comprendes quién eres, podrás disfrutar de tu auténtico destino"
phazleeanna
Everyone has a compass that is embedded deep within. The compass bears direction at all times, at all directions and it is up to oneself -- either to follow suit or just leave it unattended. The compass will always lead to directions that are unknown of. But what is life without risks?

"Be alive, Jonathan. Old pain is like an anchor. Let it go." -Marilyn & Toin
Ania Reid
May 24, 2014 Ania Reid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat similar to Paulo Coelho's The Alchemist, this book is filled with life lessons that will make you think twice about your current situation, your goals, your priorities, your relationships with other people, and the way you look about life.
Nadder Hani
Jul 29, 2014 Nadder Hani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved how the book is written. Telling a story and revolving around a main character that stumbles upon and experiences a lot of different encounters. And through these encounters, reflections are made upon the message this book is intended to deliver.
Teresa
Apr 10, 2014 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I'm not a big fan od self-help books this one quite won my heart over! I felt a great joy while reading it. It has a great message of hope for the lost ones, like myself. I recomended it to everyone!
Chica
Jul 27, 2010 Chica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that made me cry. It is a novel that talks about how to live and move on after getting scarred in life by learning how to forgive and find a way out of tragedy, despite the despair and death of some of our dreams and remembering, "there can be magic in ordinary things."
Maria Montemayor
“...none of us knows anything. we think we know, then it turns out that we don't. the universe has a way of intervening. of changing you. in the end, you don't know what you're seeking, and you don't know what you'll find.” ― tammy kling, the compass
Christine
Dec 02, 2013 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Приятна и лесна за четене книжка, но не е някаква вълнуваща история, която да те държи под напрежение до самия край. Ако харесвате книгите тип "самопомощ" и преоткриване на себе си - ще ви хареса, ако ли не - просто не си губете времето.
Wella
Mar 28, 2012 Wella rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, so far is one of my favourites. I was really amazed by how jonathan continued his life after what happened to his family, Though he got lost, he still managed to live up to his journey and pick up each of his broken pieces.
Annette
Jun 22, 2009 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quick Read. Well written, interesting story with lots of metorphorical messages.The author gives the reader a lot to think about.
Gina
Apr 01, 2016 Gina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the only self-help book I've read. It was by accident, but I liked it and felt very motivated.
Janelle
Jun 08, 2009 Janelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A one-sitting read, very engaging and thoughtful, chock-full of metaphors and analogies. Obviously on the metaphysical side but, really, not too gag-worthy.
Olivia
Mar 04, 2012 Olivia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it in a night so considering the quick read (and the fact I paid a dollar for it) I thought it was good!
JF
Nov 12, 2011 JF rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Sometimes you must let go of the life you had planned in order to make room for the life ahead of you"
Kimberly Badocdoc
I like this novel because it tells about a story of a lost soul. I was really inspired by this novel to travel across Europe alone. This is actually one of the things in my bucket list.
Isai
Isai rated it it was ok
Jan 27, 2014
Julinda Ooi
Julinda Ooi rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2015
  • Drawing Lessons (Art)
  • iBrain: Surviving the Technological Alteration of the Modern Mind
  • Paano Ba 'To?! (How to Survive Growing Up)
  • The Big Book of Brain Games: 1,000 PlayThinks of Art, Mathematics & Science
  • Knitting with Balls: A Hands-On Guide to Knitting for the Modern Man
  • The Three Musketeers
  • Conan the Barbarian: The Stories that Inspired the Movie
  • The Company
  • The Couple's Tao Te Ching: Ancient Advice for Modern Lovers
  • How to Make Big Money in Your Own Small Business: Unexpected Rules Every Small Business Owner Needs to Know
  • The Circular Study (Mr. Gryce #10)
  • The Queen & Di: The Untold Story
  • Chicken Soup for the New Mom's Soul: Touching Stories about Miracles of Motherhood
  • Mind Changer (Sector General, #11)
  • Bold Visions: The Digital Painting Bible for Fantasy and Science-Fiction Artists
  • Harry Sue
  • Fool's Gold (The Destroyer, #52)
  • Gonzo Marketing: Winning Through Worst Practices
Tammy Kling is an international author and literary coach to the world's leading CEO's, celebrities and individuals who want to pursue their dreams of writing a book. Her work has been featured in the NY Times, Wall Street Journal, Dateline NBC, Extra and Primetime.
More about Tammy Kling...

“...none of us knows anything. We think we know, then it turns out that we don't. The universe has a way of intervening. Of changing you. In the end, you don't know what you're seeking, and you don't know what you'll find.” 4 likes
“Old pain is an anchor.” 2 likes