Living Out Loud

Living Out Loud

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  592 ratings  ·  43 reviews
"A panopticon of life in this decade, sure to be valuable to future social historians She touches on life, love, home, family, work, men, women, children and issues large and small."
CHICAGO TRIBUNE
The voice is Anna Quindlen's. But we know the hopes, dreams, fears, and wonder expressed in all her columns, for most of us share them. With her NEW YORK TIMES-based column, "LIF...more
Published August 25th 2010 by Ballantine Books (first published 1988)

Kelsey Stewart
Simply put, I want to be Anna Quindlen. Her voice, her style, her empathy, her vision - I am in awe of her. I wish I could hang out with her just for an afternoon, with the hopes of becoming a little more like her simply through osmosis.
Shannan
Okay, here is what I think about this book. It was great, but about two years too late for my life. This book was written in the late 80's by the great Anna Quindlen and I love her. This book was written when she was relatively the age I am now and I thought I could relate quite well to this work. Ehhh.
I just didn't find myself running to this book. Each chapter is quite short (about 3-5 pages) and so abrupt. And to be honest, the material was a little dated. If you must read women who write sh...more
King
When I was a mere wee lad I never got anything in the mail. I thought it a bit unfair that mom, dad and occasionally my sister would get stuff from the mail but not I. I thought if you had mail with your name on it, you were somebody. Now of course I know that getting stuff in the mail is over rated. And though it is sort of true that getting mail made you somebody, more often than not, you were merely a "somebody who owed someone else money." But prior to all these revelations, one of the first...more
after a day of hearing a bunch of unhappy 50-something year old women complain about men, about dying alone and growing older, and a lot of other uplifting stuff, i came home and saw my mom had checked this book out of the library. im hoping that its a positive, less wrist-cutting inducing discussion of being a woman than the previous "advice" i had been exposed to.

i mean, this is the inscription, so that alone was worth it: "To take what there is, and use it, without waiting forever in vain for...more
Nancy
Having read Blessings and How Reading Changed My Life earlier in the summer, I decided to request Living Out Loud (LOL) from the library. Though it came about 100 pages into The Group by Mary McCarthy, I started reading LOL as soon as I picked it up on Thursday when Sam and I were at the library for the Battle of the Books. I love the way Anna Quindlen writes and I can identify with her so much, though I don’t always agree with her and we have very, very different lives. The collection of short...more
Katie
Some of the pieces in this collection are entertaining and a few are easy to identify with and feel the author is talking directly to you. However, my overall impression was a disappointing "know it all" feel from the writing. I generally love to read about other women's experiences with marriage, working, motherhood, and balance but this didn't touch me the way I'd hoped.
Stacy
A collection of Quindlen’s columns that she wrote for The New York Times starting in 1986 until the book was published in 1988. The columns range from her looking back to growing up in the 1960′s to her raising her own children. I found that I really couldn’t connect with much of these columns. There was such a focus on being a woman and what that meant for her in relation to feminism, having a career and children that I felt like I was past the birth cut-off for optimal reading enjoyment. It wa...more
Teresa Luneau
I love everything Anna Quindlen has written; this is one of her best.
Kaethe
I love this collection of Quindlen's pieces for the NYT.
Lisa Vegan
May 12, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone except ultra conservatives who don't like getting upset
I adore Anna Quindlen. My favorite books are her compilations of columns, such as this one. (The only novel of hers I’ve thought was spectacular is Black and Blue.) She writes very well, thoughtfully and often with humor about everything personal, cultural, political, etc. in such a way that it’s easy for (so many, not just me) to feel as though she’d be a wonderful friend. I highly recommend these columns to all except those who are extremely conservative perhaps.
bookczuk
Bumma gave me this a while back, and I have kept it in my car as the book to read while waiting for the school bus to arrive, or in carpool line etc. I really enjoyed the majority of the book. Only the last section or so, were less appealing to me- not that I disagree with what she was saying, but I guess I'm more into mom stuff and family stuff than politics.
Phyllis Brett
A compilation of Anna Quindlen's columns from when she wrote for the New York Times. Smart, funny, interesting and insightful. She covers everything from current events and politics to life as a working mother. May be a little dated now, but this and her other compilation book "Loud and Clear" is what hooked me on her as my favorite contemporary author.
Jiyoung Park
Good to read before getting married or having children. I cant't even imagine about being a mother, but it helps me a bit what it would like to be as a working mom. Slight old fashioned since it's written 20 years ago.
Ayelet Waldman
I'm reading her to try to figure out this column-writing business,
both on a technical level, and on an emotional level. Maybe I'll learn
how to construct a column that will not result in me being burned at
the stake. Or maybe not.
Dottie
Well, as usual, Quindlen just takes over -- I can't read a Quindlen alongside other books obviously as I just end up buried in her book and the others wait. This offered peeks into her life based her newspaper columns.
Phyllis
I love Anna Quindlen. I am sure it is partly because she and I see eye-to-eye on so many things. I find that she writes about everyday issues and always challenges me to think about those issues in new ways.
Deborah
I don't remember this book, which is very strange for me. I have no recollection of it and no idea what it's about. But apparently I read it because it's on my list that I keep in the back of my journals...
Abbie Graham
I'd read this as a sophomore in high school and just recently picked it up at a thrift store. It's a great collection of short stories from an author I enjoy reading.
Laurennoorda
Probably my favorite collection of essays from one of my favorite authors. Charming little bite-sized essays that you can read in just a few minutes.
Peg
Dec 17, 2007 Peg rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: quindlen column fans
Description: Home thoughts from the frontlines of life, by the nationally syndicated columnist (1988 book, before any of her novels.)
Kelli
loved this book especially her views on parenting. these are from the column she writes for the new york times i think.
Lisa Leigh
Anything by Anna Quindlen is a joy to read - especially for working mother's or even mother's in general!
Carol Waters
I appreciate that the author is able to acknowledge her flaws. Great range of short stories.
Annmarie
Just read this again for the second time. I just love Anna Quindlen's real-life non-fiction!
Judy
This compilation of her NYTimes columns is my favorite - I laughed outloud so often!
Debbie
These columns are over 20 years old yet still speak so clearly. Enjoyable!
Kate Bostdorff
Anna Quindlan is so great! I refer to these essays and columns all the time.
Cindy
3.2 a few nuggets that remain meaningful with the passage of time.
Stephanie Coutant
this one read a little slow for me but I love Anna's writing.
Although a little dated, this was enjoyable bed time reading.
  • Reasonable Creatures: Essays on Women and Feminism
  • Composing a Life
  • The War Against Women
  • Sisterhood is Powerful: An Anthology of Writings from the Women's Liberation Movement
  • Family Man
  • Perfectly Imperfect: A Life in Progress
  • Green Thoughts: A Writer in the Garden
  • The Mottled Lizard
  • True North: A Memoir
  • Born of a Woman
  • Bookmark Now: Writing in Unreaderly Times: A Collection of All Original Essays from Today's (and Tomorrow's) Young Authors on the State of the Art --and the Art of the Hustle--in the Age of Information Overload
  • Ghost Light
  • The Kennedys: An American Drama
  • The Maid of the North: Feminist Folk Tales from Around the World
  • A Life of Her Own: The Transformation of a Countrywoman in 20th-Century France
  • Wendy and the Lost Boys: The Uncommon Life of Wendy Wasserstein
  • Cleopatra's Nose: Essays on the Unexpected
  • Science & Human Values
Anna Quindlen is an American journalist and opinion columnist whose New York Times column, Public and Private, won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary in 1992.

She began her journalism career in 1974 as a reporter with The New York Post. Between 1977 and 1994 she held several posts at the New York Times. She left journalism in 1995 to become a full-time novelist. She currently writes a bi-weekly colu...more
More about Anna Quindlen...
Black and Blue One True Thing Every Last One Still Life with Bread Crumbs Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake

“What I expect from my male friends is that they are polite and clean. What I expect from my female friends is unconditional love, the ability to finish my sentences for me when I am sobbing, a complete and total willingness to pour their hearts out to me, and the ability to tell me why the meat thermometer isn't supposed to touch the bone.” 3 likes