Start by marking “Writing Analytically” as Want to Read:
Writing Analytically
Preview

Writing Analytically

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  15 reviews
The popular, brief rhetoric that treats writing as thinking, WRITING ANALYTICALLY, Sixth Edition, offers a series of prompts that lead you through the process of analysis and synthesis and help you to generate original and well-developed ideas. The book's overall point is that learning to write well means learning to use writing as a way of thinking well. To that end, the ...more
Published March 22nd 2011 by Wadsworth Publishing Company (first published September 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Analytically, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Analytically

Patrick Faller
There are so many engaging writing tools in this book, and so many tools that are less formulaic and more generative than those found in TS/IS, that I plan to continue teaching this text as long as I continue to teach. (And I plan to continue teaching as long as KSU, or any university, continues offering me classes.) I've found several of the tools useful in my own writing; I have not found a better explication of what it means to paraphrase, nor have I encountered a more useful adaptation of fo ...more
Joecolelife
Apr 03, 2011 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com Online Bookstore
rosenwasser's insight into the difference between criticism and analysis is of partiular interest to me. ''writing analytically'' explores the discipline that is the journalist's, the intellegence gathering professional's and the academic's with a lively, engaging style that resembles more the work of such popular non-fiction writer/academics as stephen jay gould and loren teshenti.
Annisa
A good book if you wanna learn elementary academic writing... I learned a lot from this book
Jenny
Jul 18, 2007 Jenny rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New or intermediate analytical writers
I haven't quite finished this book yet, but it has some valuable information in it. Like many of my fellows, I tested out of the intro-level writing classes, and this is probably one of the more unfortunate things that can happen to us, as many of us then only pick up by bits and pieces some of the elements that make good analytical writing and good rhetoric. While the tone is friendly and encouraging, the prose is nevertheless fairly dense and fairly dry, which makes for slow reading. Still, I ...more
Tami
I wish I'd had this book at the beginning of my academic career.
Kawa Svaha
It took me so long to finish. At first glance, the organisation of this textbook seems loose: the reader may not know how to apply the various techniques introduced in the first half of the book. However, the analysis of the sample papers makes everything clear and illuminating.
Amy
For Argumentation, Reasoning, and Writing. After reviewing (skimming through) several texts, this looks like it might actually be a text that approximates many of the approaches and emphases I've developed over the years. Let's hope.

I hate ordering books for classes. I have such commitment issues.
Kerry
I found this book beneficial. Much of it seemed obvious and I skipped over many of the exercises but it got me thinking more directly about how to read and write. A good refresher for anyone.
Amy
Trying to decide whether the readings justify the price for students--and the work it'll save me on photocopying, checking copyrights, and uploading pdfs....
Bradley Farless
The instruction in this book is very clear and easy to understand, with plenty of examples. It's a great book to keep on hand for future reference.
More useful for instructors than for students. A good number of in-class activities to consider, and writing assignments to give to students.
Jessica
I found this to be more than moderately helpful in writing instruction - but I wouldn't use it as my bible or anything.
Sam
EN COMP I text. Thoughtful and interesting philosphies on writing.
NWA Writing Project
Loaned to Jennifer 10/9/13
Iraida
Aug 24, 2010 Iraida is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
WRITING ANALYTICALLY WITH READINGS is two books in one, a guide to writing with a reader, that teaches you how to have ideas and develop them in an academic setting and beyond. The writing guide offers a book-length treatment of analysis, a form of thinking and writing required in virtually all college courses.
Priscilla Moreno
Priscilla Moreno marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Kumar
Kumar marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Thomas
Thomas marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Tia Teachman
Tia Teachman marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Rey Dekker
Rey Dekker is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2015
Kevin McCarthy
Kevin McCarthy marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
  • They Say/I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing
  • Simple and Direct: A Rhetoric for Writers
  • Perrine's Literature: Structure, Sound, and Sense
  • The New York Times 36 Hours: 150 Weekends in the USA & Canada
  • Demystifying Dissertation Writing: A Streamlined Process from Choice of Topic to Final Text
  • A Dash of Style: The Art and Mastery of Punctuation
  • Tricks of the Trade: How to Think about Your Research While You're Doing It
  • Critical Encounters in High School English: Teaching Literary Theory to Adolescents
  • The Curious Researcher: A Guide to Writing Research Papers