Start by marking “Walking a Sacred Path: Rediscovering the Labyrinth as a Spiritual Practice” as Want to Read:
Walking a Sacred Path: Rediscovering the Labyrinth as a Spiritual Practice

Walking a Sacred Path: Rediscovering the Labyrinth as a Spiritual Practice

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  27 reviews
'Walking the Labyrinth' has reemerged today as a metaphor for the spiritual journey and a powerful tool for transformation. This walking meditation is an archetype, a mystical ritual found in all religious traditions. It quiets the mind and opens the soul. Walking a Sacred Path explores the historical origins of this divine imprint and shares the discoveries of modern day ...more
Published June 1st 1996 by Riverhead Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Walking a Sacred Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Walking a Sacred Path

Nathan
I walked the labyrinth at Fellowship Farm last year and found it was a thin place between God and me. Scince then i have wanted tolearn more about this ancient thin space. Miss Artress weaves her story, other peoples acounts of meeting God with in the historical presence of the labyrinth. The book seems drift from Jesus in the middle and the end gets to self focused for me but all in all a good book.
Dr. Lauren Artress is the one who initiated the building of the labyrinth outside of Grace Cathedral in San Francisco. It started with a woven layrinth that was brought into the cathedral for arranged retreats. At first, the book is a history of how Artress began the journey to discover what the labyrinth is and what it means. It ends with a history of the labyrinth itself (as far as can be historically discovered) and a short history of the Christian church in the early days, up to the 14th Cen ...more
Patricia Lowry
I'm currently reading this as a part of my daily meditation; I find it quieting. I appreciate its inclusiveness, assuming that the reader approaches from a myriad of traditions and beliefs. It makes me eager to once again walk a labyrinth. However,I am waiting until I have finished the book, as I think the experience will be more meaningful.
Susan
Exactly what I needed to read as I move ever more into my role as a labyrinth facilitator. Artress's words are so heartfelt and genuine, and she makes this book a call to action. A call I am more than happy to heed. I've been walking and reading about labyrinths for more than 15 years, and finally getting around to reading this book -- by the founder of the Labyrinth Movement -- was like discovering this spiritual tool all over again. An absolute must for those who wish to use the labyrinth as a ...more
Michsooh
This was a life altering book for me. It took me ten years, but I made it to Chartres cathedral to walk the labyrinth and walked the one in Amiens, too. Artress gives a wonderful history of the role of the labyrinth and it's potential to aid all of us in our spiritual journeys. The labyrinth provides an ideal setting to go inward and reflect and requires one to re-enter the world by walking the path back out. An ancient meditative and mindfulness tool, we would all benefit from the presence of m ...more
Deanna (Anya)
I used to be one of three women who led retreats for the Labyrinth. This was our go-to book. The first book we would suggest to retreat clients to read in answer to their questions. Dr. Artress did a lot of research for this book. And the story of how she brought the shape of the Charte Cathedral Labyrinth to the United States and introduced it here was amazing. Good starter book but don't stop here,read more, after you've walked one.
Kristen
My brother got this for me for my birthday. I wasn't expecting to enjoy it but I did. I love the fact that she is both a deacon and a psychotherapist. She isn't advocating magic or even a belief in god. She is simply discussing the affects of ritual, sacred geometries, and archetypes. I went and walked a beautiful Labyrinth outside of the Boulder Library the day I finished it. Very peaceful. I'm still working on my mantra.
Andrea
This was an amazing book that I have read more than once. I have also walked the Labyrinth at Grace Cathedral and always visit the Cathedral when I am in San Francisco. It is a beautiful place and I discovered it because of this book! I believe I read this for the first time back in about 2002 or so. I jsut know it is well worth reading and it fact I think I will have to pick it up again and read it soon.
Sharon Wildwind
Since I'm just beginning to learn about labyrinths, this was an essential book. The author was hugely involved in the creation of a labyrinth at a church in San Francisco and continues to be one of the leaders in the labyrinth movement. This is a great starting place, not only for how labyrinths are constructed but for how they might influence our spiritual growth. Strongly recommended.
An interesting look from a christian female minister on the history and meaning of labyrinths in history, and to the spiritual well-being of humans. While the book wanders, at times, into areas of nothing more then then speculation and a certain feel good new-agey vibe, it is all over all, an interesting idea of the power that the labyrinth can have over ourselves.
Ruth Segal
Feb 26, 2008 Ruth Segal added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ruth by: Gift from Madeline
Written by the Abbot of the Grace Cathedral in San Francisco, who is a radical woman, (cute as hell, too!)Facinating history of the Labyrinth in general, also about the two Labyrinths that are at the Grace Cathedral.
A very uplifting book about this ancient spiritual practice which is still so relevant and alive.
Mark Lacy
Gave up on it. Sounded too "New Age-y", not enough about God, tired of author using uncommon words without explaining them (a form of arrogance it seems to me), such as "cataphatic".
Curtis
I picked this up several years ago in an airport on a lonely business trip. It was my first introduction to walking the labyrinth as a spiritual discipline and method of meditation. There is a labyrinth that I visit once in a while at Christ the King Lutheran Church in Torrance.
Sandra
A readable, inspiring introduction into the deeper meanings of the labyrinth and to mysteries of the spirit. I want to go farther into the references she lists at the end. Well documented with respect to history and beginnings of labyrinth use in the United States.
JJ
Part history lesson, part documentary, part group hug. I have not walked a labyrinth so I might feel different about this book if I had. I found most of the info from this book on the internet already so very little insight gained here.
Terrie
Only people in California could have some of the experiences that are reported in this book. That said, I did enjoy the book and enjoyed reading how to deepen my spiritual experience of a labyrinth walk.
Jenni
This is a lovely beginning to my need to learn more about Labyrinth walking. I have found out that the Chartres Cathedral's Labyrinth will be open to walk when I am visiting France this year.
Greg
A wonderful and thorough introduction to the Labyrinth and spirituality. I would highly recommend this book to anyone interested in labyrinths. It is accessible and non-judgemental.
Lynn Wilson
This is an excellent reference book for anyone exploring the history, and the spread, of labyrinths in this country. Pretty dry reading however, if you don't need to do the research.
Aife
Useful as I am a labyrinth walker. The Christianity focus is not mine but able to skip over those parts. Found Phil Cousineau's The Art of Pilgrimage a bit more suited to my focus.
Christine
This book makes me want to walk a labyrinth. It sounds like a powerful experience. And they're everywhere! Who knew?

On of the most important books on labyrinths as a spiritual tool, written by one of the women who brings this practice to modern awareness.
Lindy
Great resource for using a walking meditation and contemplative prayer during spiritual direction and development and spiritual maturity.
Dick
The classic work on labyrinths.
Virginia
Even better then Walking a Scared Path
Marjorie
I read several chapters and I enjoyed this. However, it seemed to me that it didn't necessarily support it's assertions. I think you would get something out of this if you already believed in it but that if you were skeptical, this might not offer much by way of support for contemplative walking and sacred geometry.
I thought it was interesting and I'm inclined to agree with it, but I just didn't have the momentum to continue reading. Maybe if I was engaged in labyrinth walking, it would be diffe
Denise
Denise marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
  • Life's Companion: Journal Writing as a Spiritual Practice
  • Intimacy with God: An Introduction to Centering Prayer
  • The Cup of Our Life: A Guide for Spiritual Growth
  • Earth Prayers: From Around the World: 365 Prayers, Poems, and Invocations for Honoring the Earth
  • Listening for the Heartbeat of God: A Celtic Spirtuality
  • Centering Prayer and Inner Awakening
  • Our Greatest Gift: A Meditation on Dying and Caring
  • The Art of Pilgrimage: The Seeker's Guide to Making Travel Sacred
  • Teresa of Avila: The Progress of a Soul
  • The Feminine Face of God: The Unfolding of the Sacred in Women
  • To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings
  • The Entity: Five Centuries of Secret Vatican Espionage
  • The Mystic Heart: Discovering a Universal Spirituality in the World's Religions
  • Women in Praise of the Sacred: 43 Centuries of Spiritual Poetry by Women
  • The Inner Experience: Notes on Contemplation
  • The Dark Night of the Soul: A Psychiatrist Explores the Connection Between Darkness and Spiritual Growth
  • Into the Silent Land: A Guide to the Christian Practice of Contemplation
  • Enduring Grace: Living Portraits of Seven Women Mystics
The Sacred Path Companion: A Guide to Walking the Labyrinth to Heal and Transform Praying the Labyrinth: A Journal for Spiritual Exploration The Sand Labyrinth Kit: Meditation at Your Fingertips Walking a Sacred Path: Rediscovering the Labyrinth as a Spiritual Practice The Spirit of a Woman: Stories to Empower and Inspire