Musimathics: The Mathematical Foundations of Music (Volume 1)

Musimathics: The Mathematical Foundations of Music (Volume 1)

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  4 reviews
"Mathematics can be as effortless as humming a tune, if you know the tune," writes Gareth Loy. In Musimathics, Loy teaches us the tune, providing a friendly and spirited tour of the mathematics of music--a commonsense, self-contained introduction for the nonspecialist reader. It is designed for musicians who find their art increasingly mediated by technology, and for anyon...more
Published June 16th 2006 by The MIT Press

Wes Devauld
I started reading this book because I was hoping that I could leverage my mathematics background to learn some music theory. The author does a decent job bringing together information on a very large topic. The writing is casual, and the author builds up both music theory and mathematical theory so that the writing is accessible to most. Being that I have a fairly deep understanding of mathematics, I found most of explanations of mathematics to be a waste of time but if you are reading this book...more
Rolf William
The first volume of this book is a survey of cherry picked topics in music and math as it relates to music.

There were a lot of errors in the musical notation, which makes me wonder how much of the math and physics have errors. I was not paying close attention to any of the equations. The second volume looks more practical for actually implementing audio algorithms.

The author spends too long on his algorithmic composition chapter at the end. It's like 1/3 of the entire book.

Problems aside, this b...more
Carl
This book brought together a great number of threads that I had discovered for myself in a more cohesive way. The math and the physics behind our perception of music has allowed me to approach composition in a completely different way.
Brian Coupland
another cliche "if you love music and hate math, this is the book for you" review. it was at least good enough for me to feel guilty for not saying anything at all about it.
Mathias
Mathias marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Felipe Braido
Felipe Braido marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Indi Latrani
Indi Latrani marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Cecilia Haak
Cecilia Haak marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Gordon Wells
Gordon Wells marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Alexander Bakke
Alexander Bakke marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Chris Kayliss
Chris Kayliss marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Ben Taylor
Ben Taylor is currently reading it
Apr 07, 2014
Joost Van brug
Joost Van brug marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Leroy
Leroy added it
Mar 25, 2014
Mkfs
Mkfs is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2014
Jordi
Jordi marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Mustafagebril
Mustafagebril marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2014
Ivan
Ivan added it
Dec 31, 2013
Matt Mills
Matt Mills marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Jeremiah Mcclain
Jeremiah Mcclain marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Musimathics, Volume 2: The Mathematical Foundations of Music Musimathics: The Mathematical Foundations of Music Musimathics, Volume 2: The Mathematical Foundations of Music The Musimathics: Mathematical Foundations of Music: Volume 2 Musimathics: Mathematical Foundations of Music: Volume 1