Start by marking “Musimathics: The Mathematical Foundations of Music, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Musimathics: The Mathematical Foundations of Music, Volume 1

Musimathics: The Mathematical Foundations of Music, Volume 1

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  4 reviews
A commonsense, self-contained introduction to the mathematics and physics of music, this work is a useful reference for musicians, music engineers, and those interested in the intersection of art and science.
Published June 16th 2006 by MIT Press (MA)

To ask other readers questions about Musimathics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Musimathics

Wes Devauld
I started reading this book because I was hoping that I could leverage my mathematics background to learn some music theory. The author does a decent job bringing together information on a very large topic. The writing is casual, and the author builds up both music theory and mathematical theory so that the writing is accessible to most. Being that I have a fairly deep understanding of mathematics, I found most of explanations of mathematics to be a waste of time but if you are reading this book ...more
Rolf William
The first volume of this book is a survey of cherry picked topics in music and math as it relates to music.

There were a lot of errors in the musical notation, which makes me wonder how much of the math and physics have errors. I was not paying close attention to any of the equations. The second volume looks more practical for actually implementing audio algorithms.

The author spends too long on his algorithmic composition chapter at the end. It's like 1/3 of the entire book.

Problems aside, this b
Carl
This book brought together a great number of threads that I had discovered for myself in a more cohesive way. The math and the physics behind our perception of music has allowed me to approach composition in a completely different way.
Brian Coupland
another cliche "if you love music and hate math, this is the book for you" review. it was at least good enough for me to feel guilty for not saying anything at all about it.
J.g.
J.g. marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Jorge
Jorge marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Sylvie Arizkiany
Sylvie Arizkiany marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2015
Ehnaton
Ehnaton marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Edwards Deming
Edwards Deming marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Juan Pablo
Juan Pablo marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Jonah
Jonah marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Alex Blom
Alex Blom marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Jason Voss
Jason Voss marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Jose
Jose marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2014
pilsna
pilsna marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Yun
Yun added it
Dec 08, 2014
Sari
Sari is currently reading it
Dec 06, 2014
gurudone
gurudone marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
JP
JP marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Gabriel
Gabriel marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Musimathics, Volume 2: The Mathematical Foundations of Music Music and Connectionism