Start by marking “The Quest of the Warrior Sheep (The Warrior Sheep, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Quest of the Warrior Sheep (The Warrior Sheep, #1)

The Quest of the Warrior Sheep (The Warrior Sheep #1)

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  170 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
OH MY GRASS!

When Sal the sheep is bonked on the head by an unidentified falling object, it can only mean one thing: Lord Aries, the Sheep of all Sheepdom is in trouble, and the sheep posse must save him.

Little do the sheep know that the mysterious object is actually a cell phone dropped by a couple of baaaaad bank robbers who will do anything to get it back. And a couple o
Published February 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Quest of the Warrior Sheep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quest of the Warrior Sheep

The Eighth Day by Dianne K. SalerniThe Whatnot by Stefan BachmannPlain Kate by Erin BowThe Cabinet of Curiosities by Stefan BachmannThe Flame of Olympus by Kate O'Hearn
(Mostly) Kid's Books I might want to read
74th out of 89 books — 13 voters
Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnimal Farm by George OrwellWinnie-the-Pooh by A.A. Milne
Best Talking-Animal Books
436th out of 515 books — 582 voters

More lists with this book...

Laura Madsen
Jun 03, 2011 Laura Madsen rated it really liked it
Oxo, Links, Jaycey, Sal and Wills are rare-breed sheep living on an idyllic English farm. One day an object falls from the sky, hitting Sal’s head. Wills, an orphan lamb raised in the farmhouse kitchen, recognizes the object as a cell phone. Sal, however, has studied sheep prophecy and believes that the object is the mythical Baaton, tool of the great Lord Aries. The prophecy states:

For without the Baaton’s magic rays,
The Ram of Rams will die in days.
Only they can save his life,
And the world fro
Reader
Apr 02, 2011 Reader rated it really liked it
I've always kind of wondered why folks have never written parodies of the quest genre. This is probably the closest thing I've found so far. When a sheep named Sal is bonked on the head by a falling cell phone, he and his companions determine that it must be a sign. According to an ancient prophecy, their great leader will someday need their help, and the only way to aid him is to return the cell phone to him at his mountain. In doing so, however, the sheep manage to run into a bank scam, alien ...more
Joshua
Apr 01, 2012 Joshua rated it really liked it
Warrior sheep meet the flawed dogs... I mean that would be awesome... Id write that crossover... Much like breathed's book this is a firmly tongueincheek talking bleating animal story... Too bad author is british... Fun read
Rumput Bergoyang
Saya tidak seperti sedang membaca novel, melainkan seperti sedang menonton film animasi besutan Pixar atau lainnya. Cerita ini juga sedikit mengingatkan pada film jadul yang sampai sekarang sering diputar di TV; God Must Be Crazy. Kenapa begitu?

Karenaaaaaaaaa….

Diceritakan di sebuah pertanian bernama Eppingham yang damai, ada lima ekor domba langka yang sedang merumput. Tidak juga sih, ada yang sedang menyeruduk, ada yang sedang melamun, ada yang sedang mengecat kuku, dan ada yang sedang bernyany
Whitaker
A really great book shows us how love is great and worth to die for
Markus
Mar 13, 2014 Markus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute little book about sheep who misunderstood a cellphone and went on a journey to the Sheep of Sheep. It was more silly than funny. It did make me smile sometimes but isn't a series I would continue.

One character I found kind of annoying was the sheep who rapped on the journey. Remember the stock "cool rapper" character from 90's cartoons? It just felt really retread and retro in a bad sort of way. Maybe it would have delivered more as an animation. I pictured, mainly because of the
Cindy Hudson
Mar 01, 2011 Cindy Hudson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sal knows all the prophecies from her favorite poem, “Songs of the Fleece,” but she doesn’t know much about modern technology. That’s how she misinterprets a cell phone falling on her head from a hot-air balloon as a struggle between the great Lord Aries and his nemesis, Lambad the Bad.

Under Sal’s direction, the sheep leave their farm near London on a quest to return the Baaton (cell phone) to the great ram with the golden horns where he lives in the north. That’s when the fun really begins.

The
Kerstin
Apr 05, 2011 Kerstin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-2011
Kurzbeschreibung:
Mit aufgeregtem Blöken trotten sie los, um ihrem Schafsgott zu Hilfe zu eilen. Was sie jedoch nicht ahnen: Das Glitzerding ist ein Handy, das zwei Gauner unbedingt zurückhaben möchten...Eine rasante Jagd beginnt!

Zu den Autoren:
Als Christopher Russells erstes Hörsp
Leenchen
Sep 30, 2011 Leenchen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Beschreibung von Amazon

Alles ist still auf der Eppingham-Farm. Die fünf Schafe grasen friedlich und käuen wieder. Bis plötzlich ein geheimnisvoller silberner Gegenstand auf ihre Köpfe plumpst. Ganz klar: Das ist ein Zeichen vom Großen Widder! Mit aufgeregtem Blöken trotten sie los, um ihrem Schafsgott zu Hilfe zu eilen. Was sie jedoch nicht ahnen: Das Glitzerding ist ein Handy, das zwei Gauner unbedingt zurückhaben möchten ...
Eine rasante Jagd beginnt! Ein Muss für alle Schaf-Fans ab 10 Jahren
Lynn
Aug 12, 2013 Lynn rated it really liked it
This was a fun read that I think many youngsters would enjoy.

The heroes are a small flock of heirloom sheep which belong to a little old lady in Great Britain. She and her grandson care for them and they seem to have some affection for their people.

All of a sudden a cell phone falls into their midst from a hot air balloon and this starts a great adventure, since they have no idea what it is and what is the significance of the object. They think it is an object that needs to return to the great g
Kristen
Oct 30, 2011 Kristen rated it it was amazing
First Impression:
I've heard of the picture book Russell the Sheep and instantly picked up on the connection between the chapter book and the picture book as soon as I saw this one. It looked like a fun middle grade read, so I picked it up.

While Reading:
This book will have you laughing and laughing hard. The sheep have such personality and they are diligent on their quest to find Lord Aries and help save this almost god-like figure from trouble. Paralleling the sheep side of the story is a story
William
Apr 23, 2015 William rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
Five for all and all for five. Five lovable sheep warriors must deliver the baaton to Lord Aries in the north. The story is the journey they take to meet this goal. Our intrepid ovine are rare breeds, and each have their own character. And, ohmygrass, the adventure they go on. It is a good read. We might pursue subsequent books in the series.
Chris
Nov 07, 2011 Chris rated it liked it
I think I set myself up on this one by judging the book by a glance at its cover. I thought it looked amusing and expected some high jinks centered on some very silly and amusing sheep. Instead the book tells the story of some high jinks of some very silly and somewhat amusing people centered around some sheep--it was a different kind of comedy than I expected, so my inaccurate, assumed expectations left me feeling disappointed. The sheep are fun and slightly silly, but the people are much silli ...more
Josh Ua
Nov 12, 2014 Josh Ua rated it it was amazing
I so enjoyed this book, had me laughing from page 1, kept my interest all the way through. I especially loved the play on BARMI, knowing a bit of Brit humor came in handy.

A great read for loosing adult cares, as well as bedtime dream starter.
Ilana
Mar 11, 2014 Ilana rated it it was ok
The sheep are cute and hilarious but not exactly warriors. Is a nice story, but not necessarily what I expected.
Michele Cirrincione
Aug 11, 2014 Michele Cirrincione rated it did not like it
Shelves: youth-books
I didn't get passed the first chapter. Not my kind of book. At least my 8 year old enjoyed it.
Shanshad Whelan
This a fine funny animal caper-adventure story set in Britain about a group of sheep who set off on a quest full of human misadventure. It's . . . not my cup of tea I'm afraid. It reads too much like one of those animal movies they do today (the chihuahua one or the cats and dogs spy movie). That's not necessarily a bad thing for middle grade appeal, but I found the humor level just didn't jive with my adult mind too much.

Still, probably fun for the younger middle grade set and a nice, fast pace
Heather
Jan 27, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
Very funny. I found myself cracking up a number of times, and I loved how most people seemed to think that seeing sheep on the subway, a plane, or the streets of London was somehow totally normal. The sheep are not terribly bright (did we expect them to be?), but most of their human counterparts are not very bright either. Unwitting robber Luke and the alien/UFO-crazed Tony are my favorites of the human characters as they continue to be accidentally hilarious. I am excited to read The Warrior Sh ...more
Lenore Webb
Mar 16, 2011 Lenore Webb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Quest of the Warrior Sheep. This is a fun lil farce in juvenile fiction. Following just what Sal the sheep does when he was bonked on the head by an UFO. Rushing to the others they decide that it is a sign that Lord Aries is in trouble. The sheep posse takes off to save him while having to battle the bank robbers who are looking for their UFO (actually a cell phone). I can't wait to get the next book, The Warrior Sheep go West. I am sure that it will be just as fun.
Yettee
Oct 28, 2015 Yettee rated it it was amazing
What a hoot. I was laughing out loud. A great book for intermediate kids.
Jo Dunn
May 28, 2012 Jo Dunn rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Talk about one baaaaad little flock of rare-breed sheep (and I mean that in a very good way!). Oxo, Links, Jaycey, little Wills and Sal are heroes one and all!

I read a review of this (very) funny, quirky and utterly enjoyable (children's) book and, Ohmygrass!, it immediately jumped straight to my "must-read" list! If you love British humor, enjoy laugh-out-loud moments (lots of 'em!) and fast-paced adventure .. this is a book for you!

Highly recommended!
Rebecca
Oct 15, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Content - hilarious. I read it out loud to my youngest children and I could not do justice to the characters. My teenagers would walk by, hear what I was reading, chuckle and stick around to hear more. It would be great for any kid who is old enough to read it on their own. The plot might be a bit tricky for the very young to keep track of.

Mechanics - Nicely paced.

Squeaky Clean? - yes.
Kyrie
Apr 30, 2011 Kyrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Five sheep, a cell phone, aliens, bank robbers and a quest to get to the North of England. It made me giggle. These sheep must be of the same mold as Sherman the Sheep (we're sheep, we're sheep, we're brave and we're bold, we go where we want, and not where we're told 'cause we're SHEEP!) At any rate, I fully expect Sherman to show up sometime and teach them that chant.
Mya
Jul 07, 2014 Mya rated it liked it
Funny book about 5 sheep and a cell phone.
Joy
Mar 26, 2011 Joy rated it really liked it
This was a really fun book to read. Five sheep go on a quest to save the lord of all sheep, Aries, who they fear is in danger after a golden object falls from the sky in their field. Hijinks ensue and these brave warrior sheep and some helpful, good-hearted humans manage to travel across Britain, foil a bank theft, and save all sheep-kind.
Tracie
Jun 13, 2011 Tracie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elem, fantasy
Funny story of five rare breed sheep finding a cell phone and mistaking it for a ancient sheep prophecy. The phone holds evidence of a bank transfer fraud and the sheep go on the run not realizing what they actually have in their possession. Mr. Popper's Penguins fans might enjoy.
Melanie
A funny tale of 5 rare breed sheep believing that a cell phone, fallen from the sky, is an omen meant for a mystical "high sheep." When in actuality, it's a phone used by thieves to steal money out of accounts into their own.

A grand adventure romp meant to be read aloud.
Christiane
Aug 24, 2011 Christiane rated it really liked it
A band of five rare breed sheep are the unlikely heroes in this fast-paced, witty adventure story. The sheep encounter one extremely unlikely situation after another, but always manage to stay one step ahead of their hapless human pursuers. There's already a sequel!
Lisa
Jul 29, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: mg-ya
Very enjoyable caper with cleverly intertwined subplots neatly tied off at the end. No death, no no tears, just a really good time. My daughter could've read it by herself, but it was a fun family read-aloud, too.
Whitney
A fun and quick read, pretty much exactly the type of humor you think it has. A fine book for children, or adults looking for some light and entertaining reading. Especially enjoyed the sheep mythology.
Goodreads Librari...: Some Repairing needed 7 22 Dec 14, 2013 06:11AM
  • Hamster Princess: Harriet the Invincible
  • 8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel ÷ 1 Dog = Chaos
  • The Ostrich Conspiracy (Platypus Police Squad, #2)
  • Poached
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
  • Rules for Ghosting
  • Ricky Ricotta's Mighty Robot vs. the Mecha Monkeys from Mars (Ricky Ricotta, #4)
  • The Naughty List
  • Elliot and the Goblin War (Underworld Chronicles #1)
  • The Five Lost Aunts of Harriet Bean (Harriet Bean, #1)
  • The Big One-Oh
  • The Secret of the Skeleton Key (The Code Busters Club, #1)
  • Prince Puggly of Spud and the Kingdom of Spiff
  • The Ghost Sitter
  • A Month of Sundays
  • We Can't All Be Rattlesnakes
  • Bad Unicorn
  • Ottoline and the Yellow Cat (Ottoline, #1)

She has written most of her books together with her husband, Christopher Russell.
More about Christine Russell...

The Warrior Sheep (5 books)
  • The Warrior Sheep Go West (The Warrior Sheep, #2)
  • The Warrior Sheep Down Under (The Warrior Sheep, #3)
  • The Warrior Sheep Go Jurassic (The Warrior Sheep, #4)
  • Die Schafgäääng, Kommt ein Lämmchen geflogen (Die Schafgäääng, #5)