Start by marking “Signe Suspect (Kay Scarpetta, #13)” as Want to Read:
Signe Suspect (Kay Scarpetta, #13)

Signe Suspect (Kay Scarpetta #13)

3.76  ·  Rating Details ·  25,188 Ratings  ·  727 Reviews
Now freelancing from south Florida, Dr. Kay Scarpetta returns to Richmond, Virginia, the city that turned its back on her five years ago. Investigating the death of a young girl, she must follow the twisting leads and track the strange details in order to make the dead speak-and to reveal the sad truth that may be more than even she can bear.
Published January 10th 2009 by Livre de Poche (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Signe Suspect, please sign up.

MsEleanorMae I've read many Patricia Cornwell's - some I've not added as being read (until I reread). They are very easy to dip into in any order. The author adds…moreI've read many Patricia Cornwell's - some I've not added as being read (until I reread). They are very easy to dip into in any order. The author adds in just enough background information to get you up to speed. Try listening to one - even better.
(less)

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
This is the book, I would say, where the characters complete their transformation from interesting people with issues you can relate to, to characters who are doing things that are so screwed up you don't even want to watch anymore. And now I remember why I stopped reading this series.
James
Book Review
3.5 of 5 stars to Trace, the 13th book in the Kay Scarpetta thriller series, written in 2004 by Patricia Cornwell. Trace is midway in the series which has about 25 books as of 2017 when I'm finally writing this review! I'm trying to catch up on all my favorite series, finish writing reviews and then read the latest books which are still in my TBR pile.

Trace is a solid story, as we come to expect from Cornwell, but it has a few issues, too. It's a very emotional book, not only beca
Ana T.
Although I'm a big fan of Cornwell's Scarpetta series I had great trouble getting into this book.

Scarpetta goes back to Richmond after 5 years to help solve the case of a young girl found dead in her bed. She is called by the new Medical Examiner who reveals himself to be a less than competent man with a few skeletons in his closet. At the same time Benton is in Aspen trying to help a member of Lucy's team who was attacked in Lucy's house, having had to cancel the vacation plans he had with Scar
John Wiswell
Aug 17, 2007 John Wiswell rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Crime fiction lovers
Throw some sexual deviation and a few murders in there and I guess you'll have something that can sell, even if it's not worth writing. The killer this time is Edgar Allan Pogue, tragically child-like, suffering from familial trauma, like a thousand other postmodern murderers. Cornwell's insistence on present tense narrative is grating, and the ridiculous self-gratification of her main protagonist always being right and slighted anyway is done without humility or charm. The book is as bleak as a ...more
Labmom
Dec 23, 2011 Labmom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What is up with Patricia Cornwell? Her last book, "Blow Fly", sucked and this was not much better. Same problems as the last - huge unexplained plot holes, third person perspective, undeveloped minor characters. And what's worse, the last book ended with a cliff hanger that she ignored in this one and she just started a different track! Very Irritating! Her books used to be really tight with no holes, everything wrapped up nice and neat, and she always continued the story line until the bad guy ...more
Debbie
Jun 17, 2009 Debbie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
OH MY GOD PLEASE STOP BOOHOOING ABOUT YOURSELF. The entire tone of this book was just so pity party that I couldn't even finish it. I had to put it down about a third of the way through. Where did the strong woman, who valued her mind and knew her capabilities go? I understand character developement, but why must the protagonist be such a WIMP?
Bekah
Sep 14, 2012 Bekah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just don't know. This is the second Scarpetta book I have read (admittedly out of order), and there's something I'm just not getting.

This one begins promisingly enough, with Kay and detective Pete Marino heading back to Virginia to help solve the mysterious death of a 14 year old girl. We meet some creepy people- the new chief medical examiner, for one, and our real bad guy, Edgar Allen Pogue.

"Trace" centers around trace evidence found at three seemingly unrelated crime scenes. One of these,
Elaine Roberts
Dec 06, 2012 Elaine Roberts rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Scarpetta character, which is based on a real medical examiner. Generally, Cornwell produces the Scarpetta books with taut and compelling writing. But in this novel, the characters have become caricatures of themselves. Marino is more unpleasant than usual. As a former detective, he is a useful foil and clearly in love with the lovely Kay Scarpetta, but became unacceptably irascible and unlikable in this book.

I know authors can't hit a home run with every book, especially in a long-ru
Sarah ~
Jul 29, 2012 Sarah ~ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
ما حداني لشراء وقراءة هذه الرواية هي حبي لكل من يكتب في الطب الشرعي..
وخاصة روايات المبدعة ..
كاثي رايكس .. وبطلتها د. تمب برينان ..

ولكن باتريشيا كورونويل لن تصل لمستوى كاثي رايكس..
لا أعني أن الرواية لم تكن جيدة ..
ولكنها لم تكن جيدة بشكل كافي بنظري...
فلا شيء يضاهي د. تمب..
ولا مغامراتها ...

Heather
Jun 25, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the reason I needed to start a goodreads account in the first place. To keep track of my ridiculous Patricia Cornwell addiction. I can never remember where I left off in the series and then halfway through a book I'll remember I've read it. Plus, I go through spurts of reading her, which complicates memory matters. So note to self: you've read this. In addition, this book was actually really good comparatively. Her first novels were ridiculously cheesy but now that I think about it, I'm ...more
عبدالله
Sep 09, 2012 عبدالله rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
أحب دائماً أي مسلسل تلفزيوني يحمل عبارة

CSI

بغض النظر عن اسم المدينة ففي هذا النوع احترام لعقل المشاهد دعك عن الاثارة الموجودة فيها .. على عكس مسلسلاتنا التي تعج بالمشاكل والسخافات وبالطبع قبل أن أنسى (البويات) ومن غيرهن

قراءة رواية الأثر كأنها مشاهدة ممتعه لعدة حلقات من تلك المسلسلات وبأسلوب يختلف عن اسلوب كاتي ريكس المليء بغرور وعنجهية الرجل الأبيض

Stacy
Jul 19, 2007 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I've always been a huge Patricia Cornwell fan, especially of her Kay Scarpetta series. This book unfortunately was very dissapointing to me. It didn't seem to have much of the forensic investigation or murder investigations in it. In fact, all the murders had been commited by the start of the book. It's definately a take it or leave it book.
Heather

Trace by Patricia Cornwell is a Scarpetta Novel. Patricia Cornwell writes this story in three settings like: South Florida; Richmond, Virginia; and also in Aspen. The story mostly takes place in Richmond, Virginia, in modern time. It’s written in third-person omniscient, but the story mainly revolves around Dr. Kay Scarpetta. Everyone calls her Scarpetta. The story starts when Scarpetta returns to Richmond after five years to help on a case.

I like this book because it is about solving cases and
Liz
As I recounted in my review of the book after this, Predator, I checked that book out of the library thinking it might be the one about which I'd read a review saying that finally the Scarpetta series was improving again, but after realizing what a piece of tripe that work is, checked out this one instead, as I'd initially been going to do.

It started out more promising than Predator - for one thing, it began with an actual mystery! - but quickly got bogged down in Lucy's personal problems. Back
Reshma Nizam
A good kind of read.. but somethings are vague... something is left half said, half described, some incidents are hard to link to each other, you have to think back and work it all out.
Jerry
Jul 06, 2010 Jerry rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cornwell and Scarpetta should just gracefully retire !!

Patricia Cornwell is not on a good roll. Her atrocious non-Scarpetta "Isle of Dogs" was hardly redeemed by the weak return of Kay and Lucy in "Blowfly", wherein Scarpetta barely put in a cameo and Lucy took center stage (disguised as Wonder Woman), while poor Pete Marino was cast as little better than a bum and Benton Wesley was resurrected from the dead of all things.

At least in "Trace", half of the story is about Scarpetta, and though gro
Varsha
Oct 18, 2016 Varsha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
After going through some continuous heavy reads, I wanted a something fast paced where I didn't have to get involved much with the storyline. I picked this off my 13 year old cousin's shelf and was sorely disappointed from the first chapter!
It is my first PC novel but I don't think I was unfair in expecting something unputdownable, since books with such themes are expected to be so. However, I found myself coming up with new excuses to take breaks from reading this book and by the 100th page, w
Mahoghani 23
Pete & Kay didn't do it for me this time. As much as I enjoy reading the Kay Scarpetta series, this one was downright bizarre.

Kay is requested by the new Chief Mecical Examiner, Dr. Marcus but everything is quite sketchy. She's there to assist in finding out what happened to Jilly Paulson and nothing is what it appears to be.
1. The child's mother appears or acts like she's mentally out of her wits; all along she's playing S & M games and uses Pete Marino as one of her subjects.

2. Every
Matt
Dec 20, 2012 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Dr. Scarpetta returns for her (lucky) 13th installment, with a case that has her return to Richmond to assist the Chief Medical Examiner. Newly liberated Marino accompanies her and they receive a less than warm welcome. A girl is deemed to have been murdered, but the circumstances surrounding it do not match up with what the mother is telling authorities and no one can determine what's been going on. While receiving the persona non grata treatment, both Scarpetta and Marino determine that someth ...more
Tammy
Jul 29, 2011 Tammy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hated
I found this book while I was in Amsterdam a few weeks ago. It had just been released and I couldn't wait to get it in paperback so I got the brand new hardcover. I just couldn't wait to see if she will redeem herself in this book. After completely changing the style that she writes the Scarpetta series and being severely disappointed in her latest (Blow Fly) this is her chance to win me back. So far I'm not even halfway through but I'm not impressed. It's the same choppy story as the last one, ...more
Michael
Feb 25, 2014 Michael rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dr Scarpetta is portrayed once again as a superb analyst of both the human body and the enivronment in which she and her subjects reside. Marino continues as her foil but brings about a more germane touch to the human side of life as opposed to just the scientific world of forensics (which are as ever full of intriguing detail). We have three parallel stories evolving in this book. Scarpetta and Marino investigate the death of a young girl. Scarpetta's niece Lucy is in a world that to me seems u ...more
Deb
May 21, 2009 Deb rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be. The Last Precinct was a better read. There wasn't much action in this one, the characters weren't fleshed out very well at all, and the capture of the bad guy was very, very anti-climactic. I didn't even care much for Scarpetta in this book; her niece Lucy seemed to be a self-absorbed rich b***h; I don't know why she put certain characters in with others (she has Benton in Aspen "babysitting" Lucy's employee, who was attacked in Lucy's home). ...more
Merilee
Jun 06, 2009 Merilee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read it because it was a Scarpetta novel. My expectations and reality did not match. This book was written more on par with the lady detective books Cornwell writes -- that I have never enjoyed. The writing style is so distinctly different. I don't know if I'll even bother to read another "new" Scarpetta novel.

I'm giving it a "1" because I actually read the entire thing... Cover to cover, hoping it would "get good" and being sorely disappointed.
Bettie☯

Here's the goods - this is my first Scarpetta and am fully convinced, one hour in, that I should have started at the beginning to get into character because I am finding this ugly.

So this can go, and I may try it again once I have the earlier numbers under my belt...

maybe.
Melanie Cook
I enjoyed this, although I'm not sure if it's me, or if it's Kay Scarpetta, but these books just don't seem to be as gripping as they used to be.

I think I liked Kay a lot better as the CME than as a freelance person. And I don't like Lucy any more either. Maybe all that money went to her head, or something. But she was a lot more interesting a person when she was younger.
Carmen
May 18, 2012 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was a bit disappointing. Dr. Scarpetta is called back to Virginia to consult on a case. She is not wanted by the present director. While there, she confronts some old demons, some memories she does not want to confront. Her niece, Lucy, gets into a problem due to a romantic issue. But Dr. Scarpetta is not really as well drawn as usual in this book.
Rhonda
May 02, 2012 Rhonda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like most of Patricia Cornwell novels, because of her depth of knowledge of forensics. However, I would like for her to develop her characters more. I also find her characters rather unbelievable at times.
Kristine
Nov 21, 2013 Kristine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
A quick light read that follows a well established formula & continues with known characters. Not the best of the series, but fine for a holiday read.
Jen
Sep 11, 2007 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brain_candy, audio
If I wasn't listening to this, I probably would have put it down. I think she needs to retire this series. Edgar Allen Pogue? Give me a break.
Amy Rogers
Mar 20, 2014 Amy Rogers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scarpetta-series
Good
The Women's Myste...: #13 Trace 1 5 Aug 09, 2013 10:43PM
  • The Complete Patricia Cornwell Companion
  • Break No Bones (Temperance Brennan, #9)
  • Therapy (Alex Delaware, #18)
  • The Forgotten (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #13)
  • Blind Alley (Eve Duncan, #5)
  • The Alibi Man (Elena Estes, #2)
  • S is for Silence (Kinsey Millhone, #19)
Patricia Cornwell sold her first novel, Postmortem, in 1990 while working as a computer analyst at the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Richmond, Virginia. Postmortem, was the first bona fide forensic thriller. It paved the way for an explosion of entertainment featuring in all things forensic across film, television and literature.

Postmortem would go on to win the Edgar, Creasey, Anthony,
More about Patricia Cornwell...

Kay Scarpetta (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Postmortem (Kay Scarpetta, #1)
  • Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta, #2)
  • All That Remains (Kay Scarpetta, #3)
  • Cruel & Unusual (Kay Scarpetta, #4)
  • The Body Farm (Kay Scarpetta, #5)
  • From Potter's Field (Kay Scarpetta, #6)
  • Cause of Death (Kay Scarpetta, #7)
  • Unnatural Exposure (Kay Scarpetta, #8)
  • Point of Origin (Kay Scarpetta, #9)
  • Black Notice (Kay Scarpetta, #10)

“rain slowly slides down the glass as if the night is crying.” 152 likes