Start by marking “The Magician's Nephew: The Chronicles of Narnia” as Want to Read:
The Magician's Nephew: The Chronicles of Narnia

The Magician's Nephew: The Chronicles of Narnia (The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronological Order) #1)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  217,652 ratings  ·  5,812 reviews
Digory and Polly discover a secret passage that links their houses, and are tricked into vanishing out of this world and into the World of Charn, where they wake up the evil Queen Jadis. There, they witness the creation of the Land of Narnia, as it is sung into being by the Great Lion, Aslan.
Published October 6th 2009 by HarperCollins (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Magician's Nephew, please sign up.

Jez Keighley Disagree with TWW : I would read them like this.
Disagree with TWW : I would read them like this.
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; The Magician's Nephew; The Horse and His Boy; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; and The Last Battle.

It's also possible to read in the order : The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe; ; Prince Caspian; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; The Magician's Nephew; The Horse and His Boy and The Last Battle.
(less)
Jorge
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Keely
Suffers from the same problems as Lewis' other books, both his children's fantasy and his pokes at theology: Lewis' worldview is not sophisticated, and his sense of psychology has a large blind spot. However, it's not his faith that is the problem--it certainly wasn't a problem for Donne or Milton.

Lewis is simply unable to put himself in another's shoes, which is very problematic for a writer or a theologian. He cannot understand the reasons or motivations for why someone would do something he c
Manny
My autistic-spectrum son Jonathan is fascinated by the White Witch in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. He wants to know what her motivation is. "Why is she always so angry?" he asks. "Why does she hate Aslan? Who is she like?" These are good questions. I have suggested that he should read The Magician's Nephew, but Jonathan only reads the books he wants to read and ignores recommendations. A pity, I would like to discuss it with him.

The White Witch is the best character in the series, and i
Eyebright
Mar 04, 2014 Eyebright rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: 2008-books, classics
Despite the fact that The Magicians Nephew is the first book in the Chronicles of Narnia, strangely, it is frequently overlooked. People skip straight ahead to The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, and then, at a later date come back to this book.

Personally, I like this book just as well as any others in the series. I love to see how everything got started, the lamp post, the wardrobe, the White Witch. Not to mention the beautiful allegory of Creation. The Magician's Nephew also has good morals
Deborah
Feb 29, 2008 Deborah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone - of all ages
AnnaMarie
I thought this book was so beautiful.

Favorite quotes/parts:
"He put on a very high, shiny, stiff collar of the sort that made you hold your chin up all the time. He put on a white waistcoat with a pattern on it and arranged his watch chain across the front . . . He took his eye-glass, with the thick black ribbon, and screwed it into his eye; then he looked at himself in the mirror.
Children have one kind of silliness, as you know, and grown-ups have another kind. At this moment Uncle Andrew was b
K.D. Absolutely
Jun 10, 2011 K.D. Absolutely rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Filipinos group
Shelves: childrens, series
I really liked how C. S. Lewis imagined how those things that he earlier introduced in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe came into existence: the kingdom of Narnia, the professor, the witch, the wardrobe and the lamp-post. Wiki says that Lewis wrote this right after publishing that first book (in order of publication) but it took him 6 years to finish it. That's probably the reason why this became Book 6 (again in order of publication).

I am glad that I've read this as my third book and not th
Joana Catarina
Um dos meus objetivos para 2015 era ler "As Crónicas de Nárnia" e comecei o ano logo super entusiasmada para o fazer, especialmente porque a Cata (Páginas Encadernadas), a Jojo (Os Devaneios da Jojo) e a Mary (Mary Red Hair) me estão a acompanhar!

Sempre adorei todos as adaptações destas histórias para cinema e estava bem curiosa para saber como seriam as originais.

Decidimos ler por ordem cronológica, por isso a primeira história foi "O Sobrinho do Mágico". Surpreendi-me desde logo pela escrita d
jzhunagev
The Creation of Narnia
(A Book Review of The Magician’s Nephew by C. S. Lewis)

For readers who have started their journey in the magical land of Narnia by means of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (and subsequent books in the series following the original order by publication), one can’t help but wonder how had this fantastical realm ruled by a majestic lion and inhabited by talking animals, fauns, dryads and naiads, along with equally ghastly creatures, came to be.

Previous instalments would
Micheline (Lunar Rainbows Reviews)
Well isn't this a pleasant surprise! I should explain:I have been struggling for quite awhile with this series. Having not gone to an English speaking school, I never read The Chronicles of Narnia growing up. I have to admit I discovered the film versions first. Then,I attempted to read it right after 'The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe' came out, but at that time, I had a hard time with C.S.Lewis' style. He tends to constantly insert the author’s voice, and I found it broke the fantasy bubb ...more
Elliot
C.S. Lewis doesn't care about people.

People do care about C.S. Lewis, so it hurts, I promise, that I am hating The Chronicles of Narnia so much. Virtually everything in both The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the two I've read so far, is empty. Lewis's characters have no motivations, only absolute, causeless attributes. Why does Jadis cause so much destruction? No reason, outside of her innate evil-ness. Why does Aslan inspire so much wonder, and why is he the param
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Pure enchantment. It's nice when you get old enough to start reading fairy tales again.

This is a prequel, meant to be read before the others in the series, but I had never read it. Now I know why there is a lamppost in Narnia, and why the wardrobe is the way to reach Narnia, and how Jadis the Witch ended up there accidentally, and all manner of other important stuff. I have to admit I got a little sniffly at the end there when the origin of the wardrobe was explained.

I thought the dialogue in t
Cary
Honestly, I thought I would find this book boring and uninteresting unlike the first book of the series. I have to stop at the end of first chapter because I find the story very slow and flat so I decided to try the Lion, the Witch and the Wizard first, and have a glimpse of Narnia through the adventures of the Pevensie siblings. I enjoyed the book as much as I enjoyed the movie that I decided to go back to the first book of the series and see the creation of Narnia.

My second attempt to read th
Wendell Adams
“The Magician’s Nephew” by C.S. Lewis is one of those books I read just because. Because I’d read “The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe” when I was a kid. Because I always wondered what exactly Narnia was. Because I’d watched all the Narnia movies with my kids. Because it was sitting on my son’s shelf collecting dust and it had a number one written on it: i.e. first book of the series. So because of all those reasons, I wiped the dust off of it and read it.

This book isn’t about anyone I was fam
Xime García
ASLAN TE AMO, SÉ MI MASCOTA, TE DARÉ TODAS LAS MANZANAS PLATEADAS QUE QUIERAS ok, no.

description

Fue una relectura preciosa. No puedo creer que hace ocho años este libro no me gustaba, incluso no logré terminarlo. ¿Cómo es que no pude gustar de esta historia? La forma de narrar de Lewis es sencilla y a la vez poética. Describe las situaciones más mágicas de manera que uno pueda sentirlas a flor de piel. Fue fácil sumergirme en estos mundos fantásticos que Polly y Digory visitaban, fue más sencillo que imag
midnightfaerie
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis is one of the books in his series, the Chronicles of Narnia in which Christianity is portrayed through various fantasy creatures. God, for instance is portrayed as a talking Lion. What a wonderful series! What child hasn’t climbed into a closet and explored the back cracks in hope of finding an entrance to a new and exciting world after reading this book? I used to sit in a closet with the door closed and a flashlight reading my favorite books aft ...more
Nikki
The Narnia books have always been some of my favourites. There's always been a magic in it for me, even now I'm twenty -- I never got to the age where I was too old for fairytales. That, or I passed through it so quickly I'm already out the other side.

I know that for a lot of people, the magic is spoiled when they find out that Aslan is really Jesus, that this first book is an allegory for Genesis, that the whole thing is full of Christian themes. I nearly always knew, though, and figured it out
Flor
Reseña ya disponible en el blog

Hace años había comenzado a leer esta saga, pero al llegar al tercero (en orden cronológico) me aburrí tanto que la dejé. Ordenando mi biblioteca hace casi más de un año, la saga de Narnia reapareció ante mí llena de polvo, y decidí unirme a un reto para recordarme constantemente que tenía que terminar esta saga. ¡Y lo hice! No a tiempo, pero lo hice al fin.
Kimberley doruyter
this one should really be read before the others.
it's a wonderful book to read to your children and give them a love for books for life.
Tina
Original post at One More Page

How many times have I tried reading this book and stopped? Twice, thrice? I can't remember. But I am kind of glad my reading ADD got me to push this book deeper down my TBR until I decided to do the right thing and read The Chronicles of Narnia in publication order.

But if you noticed, I didn't really read them one after the other. They say Narnia books are best read at a specific time of the year, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe being best read during Christma
Ferdy
Really DULL - the writing, the story, the main characters were all utterly boring. It was a struggle to get through so short a book - I honestly thought it would never end.

The protagonists, Polly and Digory, had very little personality — they've got to be two of the blandest characters I've ever read. Them talking like adults instead of like kids didn't help matters… Maybe all kids back in the day sounded like that? Their adventures and discoveries in other worlds should have been at least somew
Scott
As I've said elsewhere, I'm in the midst of a Lewis kick. Most of the other works being classic non-fiction while also hopping back into the Narnia series for good measure.

In the dedication to Lucy Barfield at the beginning of The Lion, The Witch, & The Wardrobe, Lewis writes that one day she will be "old enough to start reading fairy tales again" and this is indelibly true for myself as well. Anyone who knows me knows that I've historically had a hard time getting into certain fiction, but
Lauren P
Apr 01, 2008 Lauren P rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: April Goodreads Review
This was one of the most amazing books I read. Digory and his mother move to London because Digory's mother is sick. They are staying with Digory's Aunt and Uncle. Everyone thinks Digory's uncle is crazy, and they are right. The adventure begins when Digory and his neighbor, Polly, go exploring in Polly's house. They find a secret passage and find it leads to Digory's uncle's room. Uncle Andrew tricks Polly and digory into putting on magic yellow rings, which takes them to an in between place th ...more
Brooke
What Lewis has done with this book is rare. Every time I read it I'm so impressed with how beautiful a story it is and all the biblical metaphors. In its essence it's a child's fairytale, but the meanings are deep and come from a place that only my adult self can truly grasp and understand. So many great themes/lessons of leadership, friendship, family, and that choices define the course of our lives is remarkably written into the story.
mark monday
my first bookmobile book. I remember the horrible old man in the bookmobile looked at my library card and asked me "Is that a Pollack name?" and I just looked at him because I didn't know what that even was. later I read the book and developed a long-lasting crush on the villainess. poor villainess, all she wanted to do was rule all of time and space and envelop everything in endless winter. a laudable goal!
Scott
I'm not sure why I avoided this as a child. I decided to finally read the Narnia series as a whole (having only read the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe) and found that it really isn't what I remember of it. Having said that, my last attempt (close to 10 years ago) only saw me getting to chapter 4, so my younger self always thought of it as 'a book that I just didn't like'.

The Magician's Nephew is the first book in the Narnia series and acts very much as a creation story for Narnia, in which a
John Yelverton
Very weird prequel for the book series. A definite allegory for the "Genesis story", but it felt very forced and not up to the author's usual standards of excellence.
Beth
This is sort of a “prequel” to the most famous Narnia book, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (now a major motion picture!). I read that book last December and was pleased to discover that it was: a) much shorter than Tolkein’s acclaimed fantasy books (which I do not care for) and b) much less difficult to read than C.S. Lewis’s other books (Mere Christianity, for one … okay, fine, that’s the only other Lewis book I’ve actually completed! :-P) And, of course, I loved the symbolism in the stor ...more
Brian
This was one of the first books I can clearly remember reading as a child and since then I've read it any number of times for my own pleasure and that of my children. Recently, I thought I'd revisit it and I wasn't disappointed. Everyone knows the story so I won't rehash it here but what struck me at this reading was the humour which, as in the best children's books is so often based around the absurdity of adult behaviour. Like the passage in The Magician's Nephew when Digory and Polly return f ...more
Nikki
Mmm, nostalgia trip. I've finished my essays, so this is what I turn to. Very quick read, now, actually. Even though I'm less enthused about the Christian allegory stuff now -- particularly after writing a whole essay on the Christian elements in Tolkien's work, which are more subtle and done with more of a sense of wonder, to my mind -- it's like the mental equivalent of a warm bath or something. It's just... cosy.

The allegory and moralising is so very blatant that I can understand why it turns
Cata
É bom, mas não extraordinário. Esperava um bocadinho mais, apesar de confessar que foi interessante conhecer a história da Bruxa, de Narnia, do candeeiro e do armário :P
Hello 15 103 Jan 06, 2015 03:39AM
  • The Princess and Curdie
  • Marlfox (Redwall, #11)
  • An Acceptable Time (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #5)
  • Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3)
  • The Castle of Llyr (The Chronicles of Prydain #3)
  • Knight's Castle (Tales of Magic, #2)
  • Anne of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #6)
  • The Final Storm (The Door Within, #3)
  • The River of Adventure (Adventure, #8)
  • Cart and Cwidder (The Dalemark Quartet, #1)
  • Farmer Boy (Little House, #3)
  • The Monster in the Hollows (The Wingfeather Saga, #3)
  • More Adventures of the Great Brain (Great Brain #2)
  • Greenwitch (The Dark is Rising, #3)
  • Escape from the Island of Aquarius (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #2)
  • Little Pilgrim's Progress: From John Bunyan's Classic
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th ...more
More about C.S. Lewis...

The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronological Order) (7 books)
  • The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3) Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2) The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)

“Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.” 1246 likes
“What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing. It also depends on what sort of person you are.” 1116 likes