The Cockatrice Boys

The Cockatrice Boys

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  8 reviews
What does a cockatrice enjoy most for dinner? Anyone it can find.

So the alarmed inhabitants of England discover when a plague of monsters-known as cockatrices-invade their country and begin gobbling them up. They must be stopped! A plucky band of survivors dubbed the Cockatrice Corps- including youngsters Dakin and Sauna-decide to fight back. But how?

A rollicking adventur...more
Published March 15th 2002 by Starscape (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Cockatrice Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cockatrice Boys

Clarissa
This was okay, I enjoyed it, but but she has written much better books. Monsters attack the British Isles, but not the rest of the world. The monsters are fought by soldiers and two kids on a train traveling through Britain. Her explanation for the origin of the monsters that they somehow came through a hole in the ozone, and were directed by witches, just didn't seem to hang together, and I say this as someone who's willing suspension of disbelief is very powerful. It really felt like there was...more
Althea Ann
When I was a kid, I always particularly liked Joan Aiken's books, especially the spooky and grim, 'The Wolves of Willoughby Chase' and the funny 'Arabel and Mortimer' series. Somehow, I never got around to 'The Cockatrice Boys,' (or, looking at her bibliography, a whole bunch of her other books that I guess weren't at my public library!
I also hadn't heard that Aiken passed away last year... a belated R.I.P.!!!

When England is reduced to a near post-apocalyptic state by a sudden plague of monsters...more
Katie
The publisher claims this is an adult fantasy but I don't know whether it is or not. The reading level is probably early high school but the story is a bit dark, but then there are some holes in the fabric of the plot that adults might want patched and kids might not notice. For instance, what they eat, and how they get it. And there are good illustrations, which seem to be aimed at kids.

I really like the pictures. Dakin is drawn as a nerd with glasses and bad hair. Sauna has nice hair and a pr...more
Despair Speaking
This scared me as a kid. I found it really creepy although reading it now (I reread it) it's not as creepy as I thought then. But it's good. The descriptions of the monsters were detailed in a not-boring way and (view spoiler) I just wished it happened sooner. The characters themselves were awesome, I loved everybody in the good side, especially the dog! :

The slight downside is how quick things got to a close and t...more
Kirsten
A charming, strange tale in which Britain is overrun by monsters previously thought to be imaginary. It has a definite sort of "War of the Worlds" flavor, with British soldiers complaining about the quality of the tea, then dashing off to perform heroic acts. It's billed on the jacked as Aiken's "first adult fantasy," but I would also recommend it to teens who like a touch of the bizarre.
A solid story about fantastic and bizarre things that happen from a very stiff-upper-lip-cuppatea perspective. If Hitler had used demons instead of bombs, he still would not have won.

One minor flaw? Global warming tie-in seems anachronistic and a hair preachy.
Erin
Dec 03, 2008 Erin rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
This was an entertaining book, but it ended rather abruptly and with a bit less satisfaction than I'd hoped. I'd like to read Aiken's other work - I read The Wolves of Willoughby Chase about a thousand years ago and may need to revisit it.
Arwen
A silly book, good for a light read.
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Krista
Krista added it
May 26, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Marlie
Marlie marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Marina
Marina marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Lori R.
Lori R. marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2013
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Danderdonk
Danderdonk marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2013
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
Steven West
Steven West marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
12075
Joan Delano Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. Her most famous classic, THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE,has been celebrating its 50th Anniversary with the publication of three brand new editions of the book and a new AUDIO recorded by her daughter Lizza.

Follow THE JOAN AIKEN BLOG at http://joanaiken.wordpress.com/

Read NEWS & NEW PUB...more
More about Joan Aiken...
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1) Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2) Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3) Jane Fairfax Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)