Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Way to Write for Children: An Introduction to the Craft of Writing Children's Literature” as Want to Read:
The Way to Write for Children: An Introduction to the Craft of Writing Children's Literature
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Way to Write for Children: An Introduction to the Craft of Writing Children's Literature

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  86 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In addressing "the way to write for children," Joan Aiken starts at the beginning. Is writing a children's book as simple as it looks? Do you want to write for children or about them? Do you want to write a picture book for young children, a book for new readers, or a chapter book for preteens? Why is Beatrix Potter so beloved? E. Nesbit? A. A. Milne? Maurice Sendak?

After
...more
Paperback, 128 pages
Published November 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 1982)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Way to Write for Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way to Write for Children

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 234)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Ahmed Alaa El-din
Feb 10, 2016 Ahmed Alaa El-din rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
بدأت قراءة هذا الكتاب وفي نيتي تعلم كيفية الكتابة للأطفال ، ولكني وجدت كتاب قيم جدا يمكنه ان يقدم نصائح غاية في الذكاء والدقة حول مهارات الكتابة بشكل عام وليس للأطفال فقط
عيب الكتاب الوحيد انه ليس عربيا ، لذا ستجده كثيرا ما يتحدث عن اشياء تخص البيئة والثقافة الغربية ، وستجد بعض النصائح والحقائق والافكار لا تتلائم مع بيئتنا العربية،لكن هذا لا يقلل من مدى قيمة الكتاب لكل شخص مهتم بالكتابة خاصة المبتدئين امثالي

ترجمة الكتاب اكثر من رائعة ومجهود مميز من المترجمين
معتز عناني




التعليم في الصغر كالنقش على الحجر

والنقش على الحجر ،، لا يشابه الفنون التقليدية
يحتاج الي الصبر والدأب والحرص على التفاصيل
ولذلك كتابات الأطفال ،، أدوم عمراً ، أكثر جهداً





التناول

مجموعة من النصائح لكتاب الأطفال ، او المهتمين بكتب الأطفال

مثل
على الكاتب أن يدرك الفارق بين أن يكتب عن الأطفال او يكتب للأطفال فهناك قصص موجهة في ظاهرها للأطفال ، ولكنها موجهة للكبار، ومن تلك الخصائص الواجب ادراكها ، القراء الكبار ، كثيراً ما يبحثون عن ما يلهيهم من روتينهم اليومي ، ويبحثون عن القصص السهلة ، اما النش
...more
Willa
Dec 21, 2011 Willa rated it really liked it
This is a reread. I've had this book on my shelves since my pre-college years when I aspired to be a writer. It is by Joan Aiken, whose children's books I loved as a child.... Wolves of Willoughby Chase, Nightbirds of Nantucket, and Black Hearts in Battersea being some of the titles I still have on my bookshelves.

It's a pleasure to reread something like this with the advantage of almost a quarter century more of experience and information. I think I probably take some of what she says with more
...more
Steve
Nov 27, 2013 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is terrific, great advice and also a little humor from one of the masters.
Dashka
Feb 24, 2014 Dashka rated it really liked it
Cranky as only a British children's author can be, and wonderfully quotable, Aiken here is writing for the rank beginner. Still, one suspects that only more advanced writers will have any idea why she's so irascible on the subject of children's literature or perceive how profound her suggestions and generalizations are, whether or not they are about children's books per se. An example: "Children may be fiends in all kinds of ways, but they are not hypocrites." Highly recommended.
Alisson
Mar 06, 2015 Alisson rated it really liked it
Having written six novels for adults, and desiring to write for children for the first time, I picked up this book because I love the author's Wolves of Willoughby Chase. I knew a lot of the things it said already, because I had written adult books, but there were some good gems in here which have helped me as I am now writing my first children's book. She also is extremely well-read, has an array of excellent quotes in the book, and writes very well.
K.l. Bester
Oct 29, 2015 K.l. Bester rated it really liked it
Some outdated information, but, for the most part, this was an engaging and entertaining book about writing for children.
Kate Merriman
Jun 13, 2016 Kate Merriman rated it it was amazing
Again, thank you Daniel Handler!
Alaa Gamal
Dec 28, 2015 Alaa Gamal is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب جميل وملهم جدا
Tysseer Harak
Apr 26, 2016 Tysseer Harak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
جميل ومختصر وغير معقد
Deborah Watring-Ellis
Apr 12, 2013 Deborah Watring-Ellis rated it it was ok
I've had this book for many years and just re-read it. It is dated (originally published in 1988, updated in 1999), but I got some good ideas. It is very focused on some practical and (I think) mechanical aspects of writing for children. Doesn't matter. I took away some inspiring ideas.
Alaa Saleh
Apr 06, 2016 Alaa Saleh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
الكتاب جميل أعاد الىّ ذكرياتي مع القراءة أيام الطفولة والمراهقة،
عاودتني تلك الرغبة الملحة كي اتفقد قصصي القديمة-المفقودة منذ زمن-ورقة ورقة والتأكد من أن أوراقها مصقولة لامعة بلا انثناءة واحدة ثم معاودة قراءتها تكرار ومرارا..


Sam Pope
Aug 23, 2013 Sam Pope rated it really liked it
A useful and at times funny book about writing for children. Perhaps a little dated for today's more technical society and some of the rules laid down were disputable. Very interesting though if you want to write for children (obviously!)
Kelsey
Jul 14, 2012 Kelsey marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-i-own
I rescued this book from under a friend's couch, where it was being cruelly bent in half between the carpet and the couch-leg, and adopted it. Poor book. It's had a tough life.
Sharon
Simple and practical. Has a few gems in it, but not terribly inspiring.
Jessica Linn Evans
Dec 16, 2013 Jessica Linn Evans rated it really liked it
Helpful. Witty. British.
Pat Griffith
Pat Griffith marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
ErinM
ErinM marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
MaryAnn
MaryAnn marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Caitlin Bickel
Caitlin Bickel marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Marwa
Marwa rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Mary Taylor
Mary Taylor marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Judy Casey
Judy Casey rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Jennifer
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
إسلام عماد
إسلام عماد marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Wedad
Wedad marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
احمد السوسي
احمد السوسي marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Sticks and Stones: The Troublesome Success of Children's Literature from Slovenly Peter to Harry Potter
  • Take Joy: A Writer's Guide to Loving the Craft
  • How the Heather Looks: A Joyous Journey to the British Sources of Children's Books
  • Write Is a Verb: Sit Down, Start Writing, No Excuses
  • Reinventing Knowledge: From Alexandria to the Internet
  • Writers on Writing, Volume II: More Collected Essays from The New York Times
  • The Breakout Novelist: Craft and Strategies for Career Fiction Writers
  • How the Light Gets in: Writing as a Spiritual Practice
  • Enchanted Hunters: The Power of Stories in Childhood
  • Chapter After Chapter: Discover the Dedication & Focus You Need to Write the Book of Your Dreams
  • Writing About Your Life: A Journey into the Past
  • Deadly Doses: A Writer's Guide to Poisons
  • Writing the Other
  • Personal Finance
  • Terminator and Philosophy: I'll Be Back, Therefore I Am
  • Minders of Make-Believe: Idealists, Entrepreneurs, and the Shaping of American Children's Literature
  • Juicy Writing: Inspiration and Techniques for Young Writers
  • The Writer's Book of Hope: Getting from Frustration to Publication
12075
Joan Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. Her most famous classic, THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE has been in print for over 50 years with a new AUDIO recorded by her daughter Lizza. She was known as a writer of wild fantasy, Gothic novels and unforgettable short stories.
NEW COLLECTION 2016 - The People in The Castle https://www.goodread
...more
More about Joan Aiken...

Share This Book