The Way to Write for Children: An Introduction to the Craft of Writing Children's Literature

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In addressing "the way to write for children," Joan Aiken starts at the beginning. Is writing a children's book as simple as it looks? Do you want to write for children or about them? Do you want to write a picture book for young children, a book for new readers, or a chapter book for preteens? Why is Beatrix Potter so beloved? E. Nesbit? A. A. Milne? Maurice Sendak?

After...more
Published November 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published June 24th 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Way to Write for Children, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way to Write for Children

Willa
This is a reread. I've had this book on my shelves since my pre-college years when I aspired to be a writer. It is by Joan Aiken, whose children's books I loved as a child.... Wolves of Willoughby Chase, Nightbirds of Nantucket, and Black Hearts in Battersea being some of the titles I still have on my bookshelves.

It's a pleasure to reread something like this with the advantage of almost a quarter century more of experience and information. I think I probably take some of what she says with more...more
Steve
This is terrific, great advice and also a little humor from one of the masters.
Dashka
Cranky as only a British children's author can be, and wonderfully quotable, Aiken here is writing for the rank beginner. Still, one suspects that only more advanced writers will have any idea why she's so irascible on the subject of children's literature or perceive how profound her suggestions and generalizations are, whether or not they are about children's books per se. An example: "Children may be fiends in all kinds of ways, but they are not hypocrites." Highly recommended.
Deborah Watring-Ellis
I've had this book for many years and just re-read it. It is dated (originally published in 1988, updated in 1999), but I got some good ideas. It is very focused on some practical and (I think) mechanical aspects of writing for children. Doesn't matter. I took away some inspiring ideas.
Sam Pope
A useful and at times funny book about writing for children. Perhaps a little dated for today's more technical society and some of the rules laid down were disputable. Very interesting though if you want to write for children (obviously!)
Alyosha
Jul 14, 2012 Alyosha marked it as to-read
Shelves: books-i-own
I rescued this book from under a friend's couch, where it was being cruelly bent in half between the carpet and the couch-leg, and adopted it. Poor book. It's had a tough life.
Sharon
Simple and practical. Has a few gems in it, but not terribly inspiring.
Jessica
Helpful. Witty. British.
Anita
Anita marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Michael Fitzgerald
Michael Fitzgerald marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Holly
Holly added it
Jul 12, 2014
PB Rippey
PB Rippey is currently reading it
Jun 21, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Jen
Jen added it
Feb 12, 2014
Skye
Skye marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Stacy
Stacy added it
Mar 20, 2014
Kaseka
Kaseka marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2013
Maral
Maral marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
12075
Joan Delano Aiken was a much loved English writer who received the MBE for services to Children's Literature. Her most famous classic, THE WOLVES OF WILLOUGHBY CHASE,has been celebrating its 50th Anniversary with the publication of three brand new editions of the book and a new AUDIO recorded by her daughter Lizza.

Follow THE JOAN AIKEN BLOG at http://joanaiken.wordpress.com/

Read NEWS & NEW PUB...more
More about Joan Aiken...
The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1) Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2) Nightbirds on Nantucket (The Wolves Chronicles, #3) Jane Fairfax Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1)