Walking Dead (Atticus Kodiak Series #7)

Walking Dead (Atticus Kodiak #7)

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  409 ratings  ·  46 reviews

Atticus Kodiak knows where people go to hide. That’s why he and Alena Cizkova have come to a secluded Georgian town in the former U.S.S.R. What he doesn’t know is what his friend and neighbor Bakhar Lagidze was hiding from. Bakhar and his entire family have been viciously murdered—all except for Lagidze’s fourteen-year-old daughter, whose nightmare is just beginning. To re

MP3 Book, 0 pages
Published May 12th 2009 by BBC Audiobooks America (first published January 1st 2009)

Jake
I used to love the Atticus Kodiak books back when they were about a struggling band of NYC bodyguards. They were tense, funny and sorta relatable.

Since Rucka killed off 90% of the cast and Kodiak became Jason Bourne, they're not so relatable. Atticus has turned from an indecisive amateur who cry-fucks his dead best friend's woman into a globe-trotting ace assassin who can take down a room full of armed Russkies without working up a sweat. Oh yeah, he also turns down hot-ass escorts looking to h...more
Michael
Rucka does his research, and that's one of the things that gives his Atticus Kodiak books such appeal for me. Whether he's explaining how ricochet trajectories work (bullets behave weirdly) or, as in this book, detailing the horrors of the current trade in human beings (often for sex, but other kinds of slavery as well), he delivers the data with a swift authority that never yitches up the telling of his story. Which is to say: He's good and underappreciated. Clearly not everyone's cup of tea, b...more
Donovan
Susan
This is my first time w/this author and I am totally intrigued by the characters and the story. It's obvious that I am coming in after a few books as the relationship between the hero and his girlfriend are already established.
Two people, one American and one Russian are living deep undercover in Georgia near a Black Sea resort. One of their neighbors and his family are brutally murdered and their 14 y/o daughter is raped and kidnapped. The hero is compelled to find and save her. Lots of bad gu...more
Toni Osborne
Book 7, featuring Atticus Kodiak

This series and author is new to me, I realize starting with the 7th instalment is not ideal but with "Walking Dead" I was quickly hooked. Although it may have been most helpful to have read the previous books, I immediately felt comfortable in the story and found it could easily stand by its own.

Written in the first person in a clear and concise prose the story grabs the attention from the start with its action, timely plot and stone cold protagonists that have...more
Ensiform
The latest Atticus Kodiak book opens some years after the first, with the bodyguard-turned-solo commando living apparently at peace with his lover, the assassin Alena, in the Republic of Georgia. When their neighbor’s family is brutally killed and their daughter sold into slavery, Atticus is drawn, despite himself, to find her. From Tbilisi to Turkey to Abu Dhabi to Amsterdam to Las Vegas, he questions and kills those who have seen the girl, learning far more than he ever wanted to about the glo...more
Michael
Aug 25, 2009 Michael rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Action fans, Mystery fans, thriller fans
Recommended to Michael by: I enjoy the author
Atticus Kodiak is a former bodyguard and an international fugutive. He and Alena Cizkova are hiding in Kobuleti, a Georgian town in the former U.S.S.R.
One night, his neighbor Bahkar Lagidze, wife and son are murdered. The killers take Bakhar's 14 year old daughter.

Atticus, using the alias, David Mercer, tells the police chief that he's going to find Bakhar's daughter. The chief of police tell him that they are classifying the case as if Bakhar killed his own family and won't be investigating.

At...more
Jasper
as always, Greg Rucka's brand of storytelling is gripping, gritty and compelling, and it's because of how well it's written that i must mention how tough it was to get through the book.
being the seventh in the Atticus Kodiak series, i can only recommend this to those familiar with the character and the world--frighteningly similar to ours--that he lives in [BUT if you enjoy thrillers that are well-paced and character driven, i highly recommend trying the first book in the series, 'Keeper']. even...more
Sherry
John Watt
Greg Rucka is probably one of America's best writers, although mostly somewhat unknown outside of the comic book world, where he has had very successful runs on Batman, Queen and Country, and several others titles.One of the things I like best about Rucka is that he does not soften what could possibly happen; the protagonist does not always come away unscathed, and while he usually is successful in the end there is definitely some reality checks to deal with.

***Potential spoiler alert***
This boo...more
Lloyd
While still a fast-paced and fun read, this one kind of fell a little flat for me as far as an Atticus Kodiak book goes. It was like jumping on a rocket-sled heading for a brick wall. Maybe it's from reading too many Andrew Vachss books that deal with similar subject matter in the past, I'm not sure. It was a well-written book but just seemed to be missing something for me. It's like it didn't quite go anywhere in character development and plot, and the ending just seemed rather anti-climactic a...more
João Martins
"Walking Dead" foi uma óptima introdução à obra de Greg Rucka, só lamento não ter prestado atenção e não ter começado a ler esta série do início e não a partir do SÉTIMO volume como fiz. Não que isso comprometesse a compreensão da história ou dos personagens, nada disso, mas caramba!, uma coisa é começar pelo segundo ou pelo terceiro, outra coisa é começar pelo sétimo.

A história tem tanto de inquietante como de excitante, com personagens muito bem desenvolvidos. Uma nota especial para as descriç...more
Shannon Appelcline
Though I'm going to mark this post with my 'mystery' tag, Walking Dead is a really a thriller (as is generally the case for the Kodiak books). I don't read a lot of these but Rucka's are quite good, because he's continually grown the series and evolved the hero over time. This time around, despite being in a really morally questionable situation, Kodiak pretty much acts the hero, going after the daughter of a friend when she's taken.

It's a really good book, as is this entire series (though the f...more
Steph Bader
First exposure to this author - blind pick off the library shelf for a road trip. I took it because I thought it was a mystery set in Georgia (country not state), which would be new to me. Turns out to start in Georgia, and has a Georgian main character, but it is mostly a chase across multiple countries in pursuit of a girl being sold into the sex slave trade, with much detail. I found the plot to be minimally interesting while the details of the international slave trade were (imho) endlessly...more
Bill Umlauf
OK story, a quick read, held my interest.
Ann
It was very good to see Atticus again.
Greg Rucka said the research for this book was painful; it was painful to read about too. The trafficing in young girls, girls of any age,sold into sexual slavery is a shameful thing, and while very hard to read about, needs to be exposed and stopped. Atticus and Alena may be the kind of people who can kill when needed with impunity, but their moral core is intact and the lengths they will go to stay safe and to protect others are long indeed.
Alex
This was the first book I read on my phone! Mostly during commutes by train and it really worked. I wondered if I could manage but the fast action and quick pace kept me tapping (turning the pages).
I've read all the Kodiak novels and enjoyed the earlier premise of the bodyguard more. This is more like a comic book or action movie. I like that too. Now I've gone on to read several otter e-books and am getting used to the medium.
There's only one first time. Thanks Mr. Rucka

Anca
I think I might be biased, but I loved this book, probably because it was my first audiobook that I borrowed from the library and I thought that the actor who read it was amazing. I downloaded a second book and I was somehow expecting the same voice... Disappointment.
Good pace of the book, great characters, I really liked David Mercer, or Atticus, or whatever his name is these days. The story was troubling, but very much possible these days, unfortunately. A good "read".
Steve
I need to start with this: I read fluff. Escape from real world stuff is why I read.

Greg Rucka does a great job writing fluff, but he also sneaks in worldly issues (in this case, sex-slave trading) in a way that I can both understand and not mind in the middle of my escape reading.

A disturbing read at times, the main character's reaction to what's going on made me continue wanting to read. Not a fun book, but a good read. I couldn't put it down...
Larry
The Atticus Kodiak books have held my attention since the publication of "Keeper." Kodiak was a professional bodyguard (head of a team). Now he's on the run with his Russian hit-woman mate. He remains believable throughout the novels, even the couple of weaker ones. A couple of his former friends (and occasional comrades) refuse to accept the transitions he's made, especially Bridget, but they make more sense as the series progresses.
Alison Dellit
Best Atticus book in a while. The horror of sex slavery and exploitation hang heavy over the book, providing a gravitas which gives some urgency to the usual race across the globe, thinking up clever ways to extort information from bad people; and improvising innovative medicine on the go. As usual, Rucka papers beautifully over plot holes by making his leads slightly opaque, leading the reader to always assume there is a good reason.
Viccy
Atticus has been laying low in Georgia (not the state) for quite some time. But he cannot stay away from trouble that comes looking for him in the form of a gang who murders his next door neighbors and kidnaps the daughter to sell into white slavery. Atticus cannot rest until she is rescued. The really scary thing about this book is that this type of thing is actually going on in the world today. Do some research.
David
Tense drama about human trafficing takes one from former Soviet state of Georgia to Turkey, the Gulf all the way to the states! Chilling at times to think that what the author speaks of is real. I found the book engaging, and sometimes difficult to read, purely due to content, but the story kept me turning the page to see what happened next.
Jerry Pinkard
Just got this one in the mail an hour ago and I'm extremely anxious to tear into it. I'm a huge fan of the author and I've been itching for a new installment in the Atticus Kodiak series. If this one is anywhere near as good as the others, I'm in for a treat. Any avid reader could pick these up and find them highly entertaining...

Gordon
This was an excellent "conclusion" to the Atticus Kodiak series, if that's what it indeed turns out to be. The story and conclusion play out in a much cleaner fashion than Patriot Acts. Though I've never loved the direction Kodiak took from Critical Space on, it's a great story told by a very accmoplished writer.
Thacher Cleveland
Probably the best of the "Post Bodyguard" era Atticus Kodiak, and unlike the last one, it actually has characters from the earlier portions of the series (y'know, those that are still alive). Lots of cool action, great writing and a subject matter that keeps things tense and horrifying.
Warren
I can't say much bad about this book. The characters were easily to relate, even though their life is so different from anyone I know (or will hopefully ever know). The writing was crisp, concise and easy to work through w/ only a few forced closes to chapters or scenes.
Erik Dewey
One of the better Atticus Kodiak novels. The pacing of this one seemed perfect and that action and setbacks worked well. Be warned though, the plot of the book, while well done, is a harsh subject.

Still if you've liked any of Rucka's previous work, then this should be read.
M_latimer
I think this is the first time I read this author. I liked the book. The plot was believable and fast paced. It kept my interest throughout. Learned a bunch of stuff about old Soviet Georgia that I never knew. I recommend this book.
James
I read this book in two days. It was my first of many Atticus books to come. He is someone you wish you had on your cell phone to call if you were in trouble. Cudos Greg for a fast paced enjoyable read. Much like going to the movies
  • Where the Dead Lay (Frank Behr, #2)
  • The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2)
  • Cold Shot to the Heart (Crissa Stone, #1)
  • Flashfire (Parker, #19)
  • Hit List
  • Trigger City (Ray Dudgeon, #2)
  • Hit Parade (Keller, #3)
  • Fun & Games
  • The Renegades (Charlie Hood, #2)
  • Aftershock: A Thriller
  • Dead at Daybreak
  • A Circle of Souls
  • Collision
  • Skinner
  • Skull Session
  • Hell's Bay (Thorn, #10)
Greg Rucka, is an American comic book writer and novelist, known for his work on such comics as Action Comics, Batwoman: Detective Comics, and the miniseries Superman: World of New Krypton for DC Comics, and for novels such as his Queen & Country series.
More about Greg Rucka...
Batwoman: Elegy Batman: No Man's Land, Vol. 3 Batman: No Man's Land Queen and Country: The Definitive Edition, Vol. 1 Lazarus, Vol. 1: Family

“Knife fights are something that happen between the Sharks and the Jets, that's it. Everywhere else, it's not a fight, it's just someone trying to goddam kill you.” 8 likes