Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega #1)

Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega #1)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  52,201 ratings  ·  2,036 reviews
Now Briggs begins an extraordinary new series set in Mercy Thompson's world—but with rules of its own.

INTRODUCING THE ALPHA AND OMEGA NOVELS...

Anna never knew werewolves existed until the night she survived a violent attack…and became one herself. After three years at the bottom of the pack, she'd learned to keep her head down and never, ever trust dominant males. But Anna...more
MP3 Book, Unabridged - Digital Download, 10 pages
Published July 31st 2008 by Penguin Group (USA), Inc. (first published July 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Cry Wolf, please sign up.

Flicky
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
I'm not sure how to write this review without excessive gushing. Gushing hurts my credibility as a reader. Well, I think it's clear that I'm not above a little gushing if I love a book. But I do try to be objective. However, sometimes a good book deserves gushing, and lots of it. Such is the case with Cry Wolf. My tastes are somewhat simple when it comes to a book. I want to be involved and entertained. When I read a book that takes me to that next level of pure emotional enjoyment, catching me...more
Dija
Aug 13, 2012 Dija rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Mercy Thompson and Kate Daniels
Recommended to Dija by: Group read for The Dark Side
"I'm not threatening to kill myself. But you need to know this about me because—if you want to be my mate—I won't be like Leo. I won't let you sleep around with anyone else. I won't be forced either. I've had enough. If that makes me a dog in the manger, so be it. But if I am yours, then you damned well are going to be mine." - Quote from Alpha & Omega: A Companion Novella to Cry Wolf

This series is urban fantasy done right. I can't remember the last time I was so engrossed in a UF, nor the l...more
Rebecca
Aug 04, 2008 Rebecca rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy "romance" fans
Recommended to Rebecca by: Amazon
Shelves: fantasy
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
5/5 stars

Anna

Anna is a very rare Omega wolf, this means that she has a calming effect on other wolves as long as she is calm. Omega wolves are to be cherished and protected above all others because they keep the pack sane. Apparently though her last pack didn't get the memo. Anna was changed against her will, was beaten and passed around the pack at the orders of her previous Alpha. Three years later came her salvation, a salvation named Charles.

Now after what was done to her it is logical that...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
As much as I love Mercy Thompson and her world, I absolutely love the change to third person! I think it suits Briggs much more and the fact that she has more romance in this series makes it all the more better! I really enjoyed reading from Anna and Charles’ perspective. It gives us a look into a newly developed bond and there are just so many precious moments between the two! The romantic aspects of the story really lured me in. I couldn’t get enough of them when they’re together!

Anna is such...more
Mel
I was first introduced to Briggs' writing with the story Alpha & Omega in the anthology On the Prowl. The story is a prequel to this book in which we get to meet Anna, a reluctant member of the Chicago Pack werewolves. Three years ago, she was turned against her will and since then went through emotional, physical and sexual abuse by her Pack. This was done to 'break her' as Anna didn't automatically act submissive around more dominant wolves. Anna is special: she is an Omega, which means sh...more
AH
Before you read this book, it is highly recommended that you read the short story Alpha & Omega: A Companion Novella to Cry Wolf or On the Prowl. Otherwise, it will feel like three chapters are missing at the beginning of the book.

I think I am in love with Patricia Briggs’ world of werewolves. Ms. Briggs not only gives us original werewolf lore but she also puts the reader inside their minds. We get a glimpse of the constant battle for control over the animal instincts of the wolf. The autho...more
Kathleen
My second helping of this wonderful book. I still love it. Because it leans a bit more towards romance, taking the time for relationship development, it is perhaps my favorite urban fantasy series involving werewolves. (The setting is rural for this book, but the series is urban). I enjoyed Cry Wolf for the primary H/h relationship development (but it does begin with almost instant soul-mate recognition), the secondary characters, and the suspense plot.

Told in 3rd person, I liked getting vario...more
Leah
Cry Wolf is the first book in Patricia Briggs' "Alpha & Omega" series, and it picks up the day after the prequel novella Alpha and Omega. I, quite simply, loved this book. What's there not to love? Charles, Bran, Anna, Bran, Samuel, Bran? Well, okay, there's Leah not to love, but that's not the point. The point is that this book is fantastic, fantasmic, if you will. I loved the story; it didn't feel contrived and used up at all.

I loved the characters so much, too. Even more than in the prequ...more
Kat Kennedy
I don't know how popular completos is in America, only that nobody has heard of it here in Australia except those of us who are tight with the ever-growing Chile population.

Basically, Completos is madness in a bun.

[image error]
Sweet, sweet madness...

It's a hotdog with guacamole, tomato, mayonnaise, mustard and sauerkraut.

See what I mean? Madness! But a good, delicious kind of madness.

Well, Cry Wolf is kind of like Completos only not quite as awesome.

It's a good book, enjoyable, interesting, nice...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
Happy dance commencing. I should start out by saying I'm a fan of Patricia Briggs' books since "Moon Called", the first Mercedes Thompson book. So I was anxious to get my hands on "Cry Wolf" which is set in Mercy's world, but isn't about Mercy per se.

I really like the fact that the heroine in this book is Anna. In the last Mercedes book, Anna was introduced as the horribly brutalized, forcibly turned Omega. In "Cry Wolf" Anna is finding her strength, both by herself and with the help of her mate...more
Amanda
Aug 01, 2008 Amanda rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Patricia Briggs completists only
Felicia
I enjoyed this book but WARNING: Get the novella before you read this. Only reason I gave it 3 stars is because it's VERY CONFUSING and not satisfying to not have read the novella first. Believe me, I did it. Bad idea, shoulda added it to the book I think. Enjoyed it though, the character was very unlike Mercy but still I enjoyed!
Sans
Like the Mercy Thompson books, I had tried to read this years ago when it first came out. I wasn't impressed. Thank the stars I tried again. Loved it. Loved, loved, loved it. Especially the additional background on Bran (is it sad that he's kinda my favourite character?). Of course, I adore Charles and Anna is a wonderful character.

Fangurl squeeing aside, this seemed to be a more...coherent isn't the right word. Concise story? Than the Mercy Thompson books. Not sure if it's because the story is...more
Angela
Story: 4.5 Stars
Narration: 2 Stars

Just a quick note about the narration - the issues that I had with the novella Alpha & Omega are mostly resolved here. The weird pauses the narrator reads with are greatly reduced (or maybe I just got used to them?), and the male voices are pretty good - with the exception of Charles (so disappointing). Overall, I can deal with it and enjoy the story.

My problem is that I got impatient and had to switch to my Kindle to actually read the book. I think this is...more
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
**4.5 stars**

My first book by Patricia Briggs and I adored it. Really great urban fantasy combined with one of my favorite narrators (Holter Graham)= match made in heaven! Though I didn't read the prequel novella and I've never read the Mercy Thompson series, I had no problem following along with this book. Fab audiobook and a very promising start to a series.
Aly is so frigging bored
I can't put this down! They are more then addicting, like great black chocolate: you say only one more small piece and then you end up with all of it eaten! 24~25 July

15~26 August
If it's possible, I love the book even more the 2nd time around!

July 2014
Buddy read with Jo
Angela
It's hard to review a book in a series that's become a favorite. Even while re-reading this book I couldn't help but think of the overall series, and world. Implications, and realities that are learned.

The first 1/3 is definitely slower than I'm used to in PB books, I think that's partly due to the fact of the beginning really starting in Alpha & Omega (the novella). I really enjoyed some of the conversations that took place there, and I like the way that Charles and Anna's relationship dev...more
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
4.5 Stars

Continuing on almost straight away from the novella Alpha & Omega in the On the Prowl anthology, it shows Anna Latham, a rare and valuable Omega wolf following Charles Cornick the Marrocks (King of the Werewolves) youngest son to Montana to start a new life. Being an Omega means she can calm down the wolfside of a werewolf, giving peace to a species of volatile monsters, she in invaluable. But it is difficult to throw off three years of brutalization and fear and the new start isn't...more
Kaleigha
I so did not want to like these books. Since I am not really a fan of the UF books that follow one heroine over several stories, I had never tried Patricia Brigg's Mercy Thompson series. Therefore, I figured that this Alpha and Omega series wouldn't work for me, either. And I wouldn't have another series to follow. Wrong. I really liked this world.

Charles and Anna are...different. I can't quite put my finger on it, other than to say that they both seem more human than the main characters in othe...more
Alkyoni

Alpha & Omega continues the story of Charles and Anna, right after the events of the short story that can be found on the On The Prowl anthology. If you haven't read that, and you're interested in starting this series, I strongly recommend that you do.

In the first part of this book, Anna follows Charles back to his home in Montana, as his mate, and they both have alot to learn about the mating business and about each other. Charles treads carefully, considering that Anna had suffered severe...more
Jeffrey
Sep 12, 2008 Jeffrey rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Briggs fans
One of the problems with this book is it seems to start in the middle of a story so the first 50 pages are almost incoherent even if you, like me had read, the Mercy Thompson books. There apparently is a back story here in which one of the main characters rescues the other from an evil head wolf of a pack that answers to Bran, but its not easy to understand this story as its not set right out in the book.

Still when I kind of got the hang of it, the book turned out pretty good as it involved an e...more
Marina

“If she know how strongly he felt, she'd have run out the door. He wasn't used to the possessive, or the savage joy she brought to his heart. It ate at his control, so he turned his attention to the music. He understood music.”

The first time I read Cry Wolf I found it unimpressive, having read a big amount of books in the same genre I was making comparisons in every page and every situation. To call myself unfair is an understatement.

The second time around I realized the Cry Wolf is actually a...more
Tom
What a great start to a series!

Anna became a werewolf after being attacked one night. She ends up spending 3 years at the bottom of the pack being held there by the sadistic Alpha that was using her for something she didn't even know she was. Charles is the son of the Marrock, the leader of the North American werewolves and not only saves her from the scumbag but opens her eyes to what she is, an Omega.

My friend said that I should read the prequel to this Alpha & Omega but I thought I would...more
Lisa Kay
Cabinet Mountains, part of the Rocky Mountains, located in northwest Montana and the Idaho panhandle, in the US.
a Cabinet mts 3 Pictures, Images and Photos

★★★★½ rating from me. Loved this book! To be honest, in the beginning I was worried that it wasn’t living up to the novella/prequel (which I adored , and can’t imagine anyone reading this book w/o first reading that story). There was a tiny bit of info-dumping/world-building/rule-explanations-not-yet-revealed that I felt I was slogging my way through, but not as bad as other series. I...more
Quinn
Having read the first novella in this series in the On the Prowl anthology, I rushed straight out and got this book. It goes to show that sometimes it's worth reading all the stories in an anthology because you just never know if there's a hidden gem. I got On the Prowl just for the Sunny story - and although that one was pretty much a disappointment, Alpha & Omega made it all worthwhile.

If you haven't started this series, you really must read the Alpha & Omega short story first, or you'...more
Otherwyrld
I had a very negative reaction to parts of this book, and the only explanation I can find is that I am fed up of alpha males that yell "You are mine!" to some to some initially feisty female who suddenly discovers at the end of the book that they actually do want to be dominated and to acquire learned helplessness in the face of all that testosterone. Along the way of course, there are all sorts of misunderstandings because they totally fails to actually talk to each other.

*Sigh* - actually this...more
Tilly Slaton

This story is amazing! I really enjoyed it. It is rare to find paranormal romance, especially a shape-shifter series that remains focussed on a single relationship. As with the Mercy Thompson series, Alpha and Omega continues to leave me smiling.

Cry Wolf picks up only 24 hours after the last book, On the Prowl left off. Moving to Montana to be with her mate and his pack, Anna is forced to confront and accept help from her former packmates. This is no easy thing considering most of them brutalize...more
Angie
With the release of Cry Wolf (the first in a new series), Patricia Briggs fans can now look forward to two Briggs books coming out per year. A Mercy Thompson in the winter and an Alpha and Omega in the summer. So. Very. Awesome. After inhaling the original "Alpha and Omega" short story in On the Prowl last year, I could hardly wait to follow Anna and Charles's story in full-length book form and now, having finished it, I can honestly say it was a treat.

Picking up immediately after the events o...more
Lauren
Cry Wolf
4 Stars

Series note: It is necessary to read the prequel novella, Alpha & Omega, to understand the events at the beginning of the book. Moreover, I recommend reading the first three Mercy Thompson books in order to get a feel for the world Briggs is creating.

The plot is intriguing and assists in fleshing out the world building initially established in the Mercy Thompson series. The witches, for instance, are mentioned in Mercy's books, however, it is only after reading Cry Wolf that...more
Looking for some great Werewolf books.. 19 241 13 hours, 42 min ago
Buddy Read Zone: Cry Wolf (Alpha & Omega #1) 41 18 Jan 08, 2014 09:54AM
Urban Fantasy ser...: March BOTM: CRY WOLF by Patricia Briggs 48 74 Mar 24, 2013 03:04PM
The Challenge Fac...: Jamie & Gabriela: Cry Wolf by Patricia Brigg 10 37 Jan 24, 2013 09:49PM
CAN'T REMEMBER THE TITLE OR AUTHOR!! 4 106 Nov 21, 2012 02:28PM
Bookworm Bitches : Alpha & Omega 5 37 Nov 01, 2012 08:18AM
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Curran, Vol. I  (Curran POV, #1)
  • Kitty Takes a Holiday (Kitty Norville #3)
  • Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)
  • Midnight's Daughter (Dorina Basarab, #1)

Patricia Briggs was born in Butte, Montana to a children’s librarian who passed on to her kids a love of reading and books. Patricia grew up reading fairy tales and books about horses, and later developed an interest in folklore and history. When she decided to write a book of her own, a fantasy book seemed a na...more
More about Patricia Briggs...
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, #1) Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3) Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, #2) Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson, #5) Bone Crossed (Mercy Thompson, #4)

“Sometimes I have the urge to conquer large parts of Europe.” 295 likes