Start by marking “What Your Fourth Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of A Good Fourth-Grade Education” as Want to Read:

What Your Fourth Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of A Good Fourth-Grade Education (Core Knowledge)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Grade by grade, these groundbreaking and successful books provide a solid foundation in the fundamentals of a good education for first to sixth graders.

B & W photographs, linecuts, and maps throughout; two-color printing.

From the Trade Paperback edition.
Published September 22nd 2010 by Delta (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about What Your Fourth Grader Needs to Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Your Fourth Grader Needs to Know

Robert
There was a time when my district wrestled with whole school reform (that appears to be another program that we spent a lot of money on that was abandoned). When it was first posited, we examined a lot of programs. The one that captured my fancy was Modern Red Schoolhouse. Hirsch's curriculum was the backbone of that.

I love this series. I wish we had adopted it. Hirsch's approach is through the classics. Yup, that's me!

This takes one through all the stories a fourth grader should be familiar wi
Barbara Lovejoy
I know that there is a lot of controversy in some arenas (especially the multicultural education world) about this book and other books by E. D. Hirsch and his Core Knowledge philosophy, but I feel Hirsch has done a fabulous job identifying knowledge that is valuable for everyone to know. Plus, this background knowledge will help improve literacy. I don't advocate that Esperanza be a "Core Knowledge" school, but I feel it would be extremely helpful for every teacher to be familiar with Hirsch's ...more
Hava
Each book in this series is good - I have read several now, and I haven't seen a difference in how much I liked or disliked them. But as always, my critique is the black and white pictures that accompany the text. I really wish that these books would be released in full color. I think that'd make all the difference in the world.
Amanda
This would be great for parents to use as an at-home supplement and it provides teachers with some ideas but it doesn't match state cores very well. The math section seemed to be the most accurate for the fourth grade level.
Melanie Olson
I LOVE this series of books! I use them for our summer "school" sessions at home. They are great preparation for the school year ahead. I recommend them whenever I can, and I'm willing to loan them. :)
Robin
Great information as we transition to homeschooling!
Deanna
Using this for basic knowledge.
Mary
I use as reference book.
Mande
Mande added it
May 15, 2015
Kayleen
Kayleen marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Bluemountainsun
Bluemountainsun is currently reading it
May 03, 2015
Chhuon Samrith
Chhuon Samrith marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Emily Powell
Emily Powell marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Eugene
Eugene marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Donna Crawford
Donna Crawford marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Debi
Debi added it
Feb 18, 2015
Natalie Fluckiger
Natalie Fluckiger marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Medieval Life
  • The Successful Homeschool Family Handbook
  • Homeschool Your Child for Free: More Than 1,200 Smart, Effective, and Practical Resources for Home Education on the Internet and Beyond
  • The Homeschooling Handbook
  • The Skeleton Inside You
  • Homeschooling: The Early Years: Your Complete Guide to Successfully Homeschooling the 3- to 8- Year-Old Child
  • Understanding English Grammar
  • Early Modern Times: From Elizabeth the First to the Forty-Niners (The Story of the World #3)
  • The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia
  • Perfect Challenge (Thoroughbred, #52)
  • Princess Megan (Magic Attic Club, #5)
  • Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons
  • Memily
  • Building Moral Intelligence: The Seven Essential Virtues That Teach Kids to Do the Right Thing
  • 6 + 1 Traits of Writing: The Complete Guide: Grades 3 & Up: Everything You Need to Teach and Assess Student Writing With This Powerful Model
  • American Emperor: Aaron Burr's Challenge to Jefferson's America
  • The Road to Inconceivable (Abadazad, #1)
  • The Pet Store Sprite (Pixie Tricks, #3)
Eric Donald Hirsch, Jr. (born March 22, 1928) is an American educator and academic literary critic. Now retired, he was until recently the University Professor of Education and Humanities and the Linden Kent Memorial Professor Emeritus of English at the University of Virginia. He is best known for his writings about cultural literacy.
More about E.D. Hirsch Jr....

Core Knowledge (9 books)
  • What Your Preschooler Needs to Know: Read-Alouds to Get Ready for Kindergarten (Core Knowledge)
  • What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know: Preparing Your Child for a Lifetime of Learning
  • What Your First Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good First-Grade Education
  • What Your Second Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Second-Grade Education Revised
  • What Your Third Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Third-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
  • What Your Fifth Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Fifth-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
  • What Your 6th Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Sixth-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
  • Books to Build On: A Grade-by-Grade Resource Guide for Parents and Teachers (Core Knowledge Series)
Cultural Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know: Preparing Your Child for a Lifetime of Learning What Your First Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good First-Grade Education The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy What Your Preschooler Needs to Know: Read-Alouds to Get Ready for Kindergarten (Core Knowledge)