Start by marking “Black Feminist Thought” as Want to Read:
Black Feminist Thought

Black Feminist Thought

4.31  ·  Rating Details ·  3,725 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
First Published in 1991. Routledge is an imprint of Taylor & Francis, an informa company.
Published December 7th 1999 by Routledge (first published 1990)

Rowena
Sep 01, 2012 Rowena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociology, feminism, race
"Race and gender may be analytically distinct, but in Black women’s everyday lives, they work together.” - Patricia Hill Collins, Black Feminist Thought

I find it difficult to summarize books like this, ones which contain such comprehensive content. Although focusing on African-American feminist theory, Collins says the theory can be applied to any black diasporic woman because, “Women of African descent are dispersed globally, yet the issues we face may be similar.”

And reading the content I beli
Zanna
Jul 31, 2014 Zanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not really a review, more a butterfly-view.

I had a rare flash of brilliance and decided to read the glossary first. This kind of sensible idea rarely occurs to me. I was immediately struck by Collins' definition of

intersectionality: analysis claiming that systems of race, social class, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, nation and age form mutually constructing features of social organisation, which shape Black women's experiences and, in turn, are shaped by Black women

In other words, intersectional
Rebecca
Everyone should read this book. I read this for the first time during a women's studies course as an undergrad, but it works so well, as she states, outside of academia. I find her analysis of Black female blues singers as a source of feminist thought especially interesting. Anyone and everyone interested in social justice should read this book. And then read it again.
Veronica
Jan 03, 2011 Veronica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grad-school
What I loved the most about this book is that it is an academic text, but PCH doesn't waste time with jargon. If she uses it, she defines it almost immediately. There is also a glossary in the back of the book. A book that I will use a lot. So happy I was pushed to revisit this text.
BMR, MSW, LSW
Mar 26, 2017 BMR, MSW, LSW rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took a long time for me to finish this book, as it is very much a textbook...and I've been out of grad school for a few years now. The most recent edition isn't available at my library, so I read this 2nd Ed. I may still seek out the newer edition.

Recommended for anyone interested in feminist theories, political thought, and human rights
Tameika
Mar 07, 2008 Tameika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She offers an explored analysis of the intersections of race, gender, sexuality and class as well as its practical applications. She discuss self-identification, the politics of self empowerment, how woman are essential elements in nationalist thinking and etc. I do wish she discussed the politics of sexuality a bit more.
Allison
Oct 08, 2011 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book blew my mind. One of the most impressive parts of it is P.H.C.'s command of black women's history in the U.S. It's so exciting to read about women who have produced "black feminist thought" in the U.S. through writing, music, and oral history since early 1800s, and before.
Linda Le
Oct 12, 2010 Linda Le rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if u claim that u're an ally/progressive advocate of feminism, then do urself a favor & read this
Victoria
Apr 25, 2017 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author says in the intro "I'm going to say this in the most basic language possible so it's very accessible." This was not true lol. But it was still good and thought-provoking and a great synthesis of a lot of seemingly disparate work into one big thing. Pretty cool.
Rosemari
May 22, 2009 Rosemari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
This book was my guiding light while working on my thesis, "Deconstructing Auth Jemima." Patricia Hill Collins is underread and underrated. I want to sit at her feet. It remains an important reference book.
Sarah Hackley
Sep 22, 2009 Sarah Hackley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: BLS 3024
While I enjoyed her theories, her writing style is unnecessarily obtuse and repetitive.
Benjamin
I especially like when Collins uses non-academic statements from black women talking about their own direct experiences to illustrate her points. I found myself quoting some of that in my day to day conversations with people.

There were a couple of moments where I was like, "Is it weird to be a white dude reading this?" But I think, even though there are sadly very few black women in my environment right now, that it is all somehow extremely relevant. Collins makes the point a few times that Blac
Aliya Jabbar
Apr 11, 2017 Aliya Jabbar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the comprehensive, engaging handbook on black feminism that I'd always hoped to find. PHC harbors a deep disdain for the predominance of the kind of scholarship that is impersonal and abstract, and in Black Feminist Thought, she broadly explores and theorizes while peppering her essays with personal anecdotes and extracts from the literary, artistic and academic works of other black women.

The result is a well-organized, deeply insightful collection of essays with plenty of new argu
Victoria
Jul 01, 2017 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-to-read
Unfortunately I wasn't able to finish the book yet (due back at the library) but I can speak to what I read so far. This is an important read for feminist theorists, and feminists in general. As a white woman, this book was especially enlightening, though I want to stress that I am not the target audience, either. My main criticism is the redundancy and length; I think this work would have benefited from some word trimming and condensing, as I often struggled to remain focused and/or found mysel ...more
Ruth
This book creates an argument about the particular experiences of groups of people and overarching theories of knowledge. It says that if a group of people, in this case US Black women, is consistently ruled untrustworthy or unknowledgeable, a major epistemological shift is required to get other groups of people to hear their testimony and expertise. This is something I've been thinking about a lot. I felt validated seeing this idea spelled out so beautifully and clearly by an African American s ...more
Tasha
Feb 24, 2009 Tasha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the privilege of being one of Dr. Collin's students at the University of Cincinnati. I learned so much from this woman and her gender study class. She along with some other great writers such a Bell Hooks and others helped me shape my own definition of what it means to be a black woman in America.
Lucas
Jul 25, 2007 Lucas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Patricia Hill Collins and this is no exception, though I found much of what she filed under "Black feminism" really applied to feminism writ large. Still, it's an important work and very readable.
Marilyn Diamond
I've loved her work since Women Studies classes
Oren Whightsel
Jun 27, 2007 Oren Whightsel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theory
patricia hill collins is one of the most important voices in feminism. this book is a must read...especially the 10th anniv. ed. because she updates her research and further develops her arguments.
Roberta Villalon
thank you pat for writing this and changing the world!
Marta
Mar 30, 2016 Marta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Part of reading for a grad school class...worth it!!!!
mis fit
Sep 10, 2012 mis fit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally got around to reading this all the way through. It is awesome. Duh.
Mike
Mar 15, 2007 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Flashback to August, 1995. The book that changed my life during the first year of college.
Andrea
Mar 22, 2012 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, the way it battles to discover what is unique to black women's voices and experiences, and how they can empower, aid in resistance, and form part of the larger coalition that is needed to create a more just world.

I've pulled out her own basic summary of what she wants this book to do and be, because it highlights what is missing from much other work, and because it is ambitious and beautiful and she almost does it all:
First, I was committed to making this book intellectually
Melissa
Jun 14, 2017 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredible account of the different struggles and contradictions navigated by generations of Black women by a knowledgeable, experienced writer. The treatment of topics like education, career-making, domestic v public patterns and behaviors, media coverage, poverty, violence, and politicized womanhood and motherhood are each given thorough and thoughtful treatment. As someone who is just beginning to learn more about black feminism, I felt this book was welcoming and approachable.
Luminalsl
Que dire si ce n'est que ce livre devrait être dans tous les cursus, toutes les bibliothèques et dans toutes les chambres du monde ! En particulier pour les femmes racisées ! Un MUST read ! Sans hésitation MA référence pour les vingts prochaines années au moins !! Quelle honte qu'il ait fallu autant de temps pour avoir une traduction ! Je n'ai qu'une hâte maintenant, mettre la main sur les autres écrits de Patricia Hill Collins!
Simon Poirier
Jul 11, 2017 Simon Poirier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un livre tout simplement essentiel pour comprendre les racines du black feminism. Les passages épistémologiques sont révolutionnaires en soi. Une déconstruction des institutions universitaires et des figures intellectuelles traditionnelles blanches. À lire absolument.
Joan Fun
May 12, 2017 Joan Fun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read book for anyone who calls themselves a feminist
Cassey
Mar 21, 2017 Cassey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This most likely would have been 5 stars if I had read a more recent edition. It got me thinking, and also reminded me that there's a lot more reading I need to do :0
J.P.
Dec 05, 2014 J.P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for a variety of reasons, but mainly because I felt that I needed to better understand the issues black women face. This book, for me, was a great place to start. I am black, but obviously not a woman. I've always been pro-equal rights, but that isn't enough.

Patricia Hill Collins lays out the framework from the very beginning & doesn't weigh the reader down with confusing jargon. She describes her experiences in academia as well as the general experience of black women in ac
  • But Some Of Us Are Brave: All the Women Are White, All the Blacks Are Men: Black Women's Studies
  • Talking Back: Thinking Feminist, Thinking Black
  • Home Girls: A Black Feminist Anthology
  • Words of Fire: An Anthology of African-American Feminist Thought
  • Killing the Black Body: Race, Reproduction, and the Meaning of Liberty
  • Color of Violence: The INCITE! Anthology
  • When and Where I Enter: The Impact of Black Women on Race and Sex in America
  • Colonize This!: Young Women of Color on Today's Feminism (Live Girls)
  • Women, Race, and Class
  • Feminism FOR REAL: Deconstructing the Academic Industrial Complex of Feminism
  • Making Face, Making Soul/Haciendo Caras: Creative and Critical Perspectives by Feminists of Color
  • Feminism without Borders: Decolonizing Theory, Practicing Solidarity
  • Black Macho and the Myth of the Superwoman
  • This Bridge Called My Back: Writings by Radical Women of Color
  • Some of Us Did Not Die: New and Selected Essays
  • Sister Outsider: Essays and Speeches
  • When Chickenheads Come Home to Roost: A Hip-Hop Feminist Breaks It Down
  • Sister Citizen: Shame, Stereotypes, and Black Women in America
Patricia Hill Collins (born May 1, 1948) is currently a Distinguished University Professor of Sociology at the University of Maryland, College Park. She is also the former head of the Department of African American Studies at the University of Cincinnati, and the past President of the American Sociological Association Council.

Collins' work primarily concerns issues involving feminism and gender wi
More about Patricia Hill Collins...