Typhoon (Dustrunners, #1)

Typhoon (Dustrunners #1)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Kani isn’t Tundra. Tundra is a dustrunner: a ruthless space pirate, flying dangerous missions in low Earth orbit, risking the lives of millions of people below. Kani is just a regular teenager, and she wants absolutely nothing to do with that. Unfortunately, she has no choice.

Now, thrown into a world of deception and betrayal, Kani must fight to keep herself alive as she’...more
Kindle Edition, Version 2.0, 376 pages
Published January 10th 2011 (first published December 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Typhoon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Typhoon

Once Upon Another Time by Rosary  McQuestionA Job From Hell by Jayde ScottPsycho Save Us by Chad HuskinsSecrets of the Realm by Bev StoutStarshine by G.S. Jennsen
Best Indie Books/Authors
315th out of 1,344 books — 1,502 voters
The Law of Attraction by N.M.  SilberBeatless by Amber L.  JohnsonCircle of Five by Jan RaymondEveryone Burns by John DolanBound By Blood by Shane K.P. O'Neill
Our Favorite Indie Reads
414th out of 1,370 books — 1,418 voters

More lists with this book...

A.M.
Typhoon is the first book in the Dustrunners quintology, a series following not only Kani’s story but the lives of her team members as well. Set in a not-too distant future, the Dustrunners world is one of piracy, politics, adventure and danger, not to mention nail-biting emotional rollercoasters.

It’s hard to create a realistic dystopian future, and as such the thought and attention given to the world-building are a credit to MCM’s writing. Kani’s world has traces of the familiar—mobile phones,...more
Kyle Newton
MCM has crafted a future where space-flight is as simple a task as it is to hop in a car and drive around the neighborhood. Typhoon tells the story of three characters, all of whom are part, or victim, of a conspiracy to capture what the media has labelled "Dustrunners". Like modern day Robin Hoods, these Dustrunners steal from the wealthy for the benefit of the poor.

MCM mixes in his trademark humor but Typhoon makes a good case for showing off his ability to write about serious subjects. It's n...more
Jan
Typhoon is one of the first books I read by MCM and it's the main reason I'm such a big fan of his.

The story is a roller coaster of thrills and emotions. Set in a not too distant but all the more disagreeable future, Kani is forced to take the identity of her best friend, who owes money to the mafia, and has to tag along on an illegal mission in space. Her teammates don't trust her, the mafia and the police are after her, and then it turns out she's not the only one with a fake identity.

Next to...more
A'lina
Typhoon has some great characters; distinctive, flawed and real. From Kani a teenager who ends up becoming a space pirate, a dustrunner, to save the life of her best friend who’s in deep trouble with the mob. And the smart, funny hermit Kaso who helps her through cell phones and computers. To Yuri and how his strong interest in helping a young women get back on her feet leads to a shaky marriage, to the present where he’s a dustrunner trying to get enough money to save the life of his dying daug...more
Luke Strickland
Like an episode of 24, Typhoon was compelling from the start and I was immediately drawn in to the lives of the various "dustrunners" we meet in the book. I enjoyed the way that the flashbacks gave progressive insight to the various characters such as Yuri and Chenne, and how the sub-plots culminated in the final scenes of the story. I'm glad it's only book one becuase there are plenty of questions left to answer, and plenty of scope to develop the series further.
What's also compelling about the...more
Carl
I really enjoyed this book. It was very fast paced but not in a bad way. The book was written in three days which just amazes me! I received this book on First Reads.
PaulaSHx
The plot is intriguing, the characters very interesting and you are dropped right in the middle of the action. What else could you ask for? Well... In my case? An explanation. To be fair, MCM does give one at the end of the Smashwords edition I read, but as much as I love to start a book with a bang, when this happens the author usually has to find a way to explain to the readers as they read along how they got there in the first place. And that is exactly where this book let me down.

Read my ful...more
Austin
Jan 13, 2012 Austin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: science-fiction
This was a great book full of action. Its takes place in a pre dystopia kind of world that is perfect for this book. I liked all the characters in this book. They were well developed and had an important place in the story. The storyline is also really good as is the authors writing style. I highly recommend this book.
Nora
Really fast paced adventure although perhaps a bit too fast paced for my taste. I think this will be good for people that like thrillers.
Marnie Eichele
Marnie Eichele marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Tony
Tony added it
May 17, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Saynototheflow
Saynototheflow marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Michael Brooks
Michael Brooks marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Aubrey
Aubrey marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Mehnaz
Mehnaz marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Kenzie
Kenzie marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2013
Adrenna
Adrenna marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2013
the prince
the prince marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2013
Jaid
Jaid marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2013
Eva
Eva marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Tanja
Tanja marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2013
R
R marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
MCM is the author of books like "The Vector", "The App", "Fission Chips" and the livewritten novels "Typhoon", "The New Real", and "Arkady and Kain". He also wrote and illustrated the anti-DRM fable “The Pig and the Box”, which has been translated into 18 languages and read over one million times by people across the globe. In his spare time, he creates TV series like "RollBots", playing all over...more
More about MCM...
The Vector The Pig and the Box The App The Man With the Improbable Leg The New Real