Start by marking “Manning: A Father, His Sons and a Football Legacy” as Want to Read:
Manning: A Father, His Sons and a Football Legacy

Manning: A Father, His Sons and a Football Legacy

The inspiring personal story of a family, an athletic tradition, and fifty years of a great all-American game.
Published April 4th 2017 by It Books (first published September 5th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Manning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manning

Charles
Nov 20, 2011 Charles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfic-sports
I liked this a lot. I was afraid it would be a bit dry but it wasn't. It's good to see a book that succeeds despite the lack of scandal and despite no tales of debauchery. The Mannings are a fine family and this book shows that they are a family to be respected. Not perfect, of course. But human in the best sense of that term.
Misty
Feb 12, 2012 Misty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
I wish I would have read this book a long time ago so it wouldn't have been so outdated. here Eli has won his second Super Bowl and in the book he is in his early years at Ole Miss. Other than the weirdness of it being outdated I really enjoyed thus book. I loved the fact that Archie and Peyton did the telling if thier family's story.
Brindi Michele
As far as biographies go, this one ranks at the top of my list. Plus, I'm biased. I LOVE Peyton. His character stands out and only rings truer in this books. (Bonus: I learned more about football!)
Cliff Yates
Mar 23, 2016 Cliff Yates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I've always enjoyed watching Peyton Manning, the book took me back to the days of his dad Archie Manning. I had forgotten how often I watched and enjoyed watching Archie Maning when I was a kid. Peyton has made himself a master of the game, so to read his journey from the time he was a young kid was very enlightening. This is a great read even if your not a football or sports fan. You definitely don't need to be an avid sports fan to enjoy this book.
Smoskal
Jan 13, 2014 Smoskal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Manning was an excellent book. It was about the Archie’s exciting, tough, and heartbreaking life. The book also talked about Peyton Manning’s life. Both father and son had to overcome so much to make it in football. Archie had an okay childhood. It was not happy, but it provided the skills that he needed to be the great football player and father he came to be. I liked this book because it proved that with a little dedication I could achieve anything. The book also proved anything can happen, a ...more
Thom Swennes
Dec 21, 2016 Thom Swennes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the Manning’s, the family isn’t only important, it is everything. Archie learned from his own childhood to make his family number one. Warmth, interest, love, and most of all communication, keeps the Manning family close. Buddy Manning, Archie’s father, never told him that he loved him. Archie never misses a chance to tell his children how he feels. Firm believers in the idiom “Things that remain unsaid will remain unheard,” the family and its individual stars have remained humble and thankf ...more
Ryan Oconnor
Dec 18, 2015 Ryan Oconnor is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
It is almost impossible for me not to tell you how much this book moves me. In the book, Peyton, the protagonist, is living in New Orleans Lousiana when his father dies. As the man of the house, Peyton takes on a huge burden and excels in it. As I keep reading about Peyton's family, the book made me feel bad for them because they had no father growing up. "Archie Manning's father turned a shotgun on himself on a summer day in 1969" (Underwood 1).Peyton was the oldest of the three brothers: Peyto ...more
Cole
I really like the book. There was a lot that I didn't know about the Manning's. For example, I was unaware of Archie's father committing suicide. That must of really been hard on Archie, especially because he was the one who found his dad first. I also thought it was pretty cool how Archie played both sides of the football in college because most quarterbacks are too delicate to play defense. I thought it was funny that Archie never pushed his kids to be football players, but they all three want ...more
Mason Doerr
Manning was an amazing book choice for me being a football player myself just made me realize that every one who says it is a million and one chance you will go to the NFL is wrong, because if you put in time you make that ratio of doubt way smaller. Another thing that I loved about this book was that it didn't just talk about Peyton, it talks about his family and how they truly affect his life and the decisions he made through out it. I also liked that it gave that hope that you just have to ov ...more
Phil
Jul 15, 2014 Phil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Manning A Father, His Sons and a Football Legacy by Archie Manning Archie Manning

An easy read and good history on Archie Manning, but the book is dated. Published in 2000, only 2 years into Peyton's NFL career, it falls short of anything current.
Diana
Feb 02, 2014 Diana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I've been a Peyton Manning fan for awhile now (even though I'd prefer he was still a Colt) so I found this book interesting in parts. A lot of football names I didn't recognize at all and more detail than I cared to read about many games but still a nice, if outdated, inside look at the Manning family.
Tracy
Mar 05, 2014 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all things Manning for the most part. The book was good but dry in parts. I know this book was written in 2000 so I hope Peyton has maybe toned down the cockiness I perceived in this book. In many parts, it was a little to "not so humble" to me. But, alas, I still love, my Peyton and Archie, Archie, Archie.
Neal
Mar 23, 2016 Neal rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
For anybody who is a fan of college and professional football, or anybody who has seen "The Book of Manning," produced by ESPN, there is no new information here. In fact, it's quite dated. The personal side of the growing up of Archie, Cooper, Peyton and Eli Manning is barely interesting and there is no literary merit to the book.
Regena Varvoutis
The Mannings are the #1 Football family

Fascinating reading with contributions from Archie, Olivia, Cooper, as well as Peyton. This book was written before Eli became a star. I'd love to read an update! Being from Louisiana, the Manning boys has always been special to the rest of us from Louisiana! We also claim Archie and Olivia. Too!
Tina Rettig
Apr 27, 2014 Tina Rettig rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was full of insight into a wonderful family who is not driven by football, but in fact is driven by faith. As a previous reviewer wrote, it was a slow read, but well worth the time.
Dale
Apr 27, 2016 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Provides some insight into a very exceptional athletic family. Good view of the values of Archie and how those values impacted his career and the success of his sons. Not particularly in depth. There are also more recent books about members of the Manning family.
Bette Bentzel
Jul 07, 2016 Bette Bentzel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best football story.

That was the best football story I read. To me Peyton Manning is the best football player I ever watched play. And of course he is the cutest. I love him on those commercials for Nationwide. Love Him.
Linda
Nov 16, 2015 Linda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Joy for this recommendation but I had to pass (get it...throw..pass)..
just not my favorite, as you already know....lol lol. you're too funny Miss Joy...just keep an eye out...one just never knows, does one...teeeheeeeheee
Teresa Parker
Aug 21, 2016 Teresa Parker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Mannings

Superb reading. This is one smart family. So impressed with Archie and his standard of life, if not for him Cooper, Peyton and Eli would never be the type people they are!
Nick James
Apr 01, 2012 Nick James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good autobiography of the Manning family. Tells everything about the careers and lives of Archie, Cooper, Peyton, and Eli. Very good, a bit long and stretched out, but overall good. It's good for football fans and biography fans.
Jane Patterson
Good inspirational book about the Manning legacy. A good family to look up to.
John Yelverton
Sep 01, 2013 John Yelverton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really enjoyable double autobiography that gives you both nostalgia and insight into these champions of the gridiron.
Ann
Feb 02, 2014 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always liked the Mannings. I thought they were a class act, this book confirmed it for me. It was a slow read, but I'm glad I read it.
Jovan Johnson
my favorite quarter back alive.
Dawn
Great biography about father and son.
Carla Schuyler
Jan 24, 2014 Carla Schuyler rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. I am a Manning fan and found the anecdotal style of the book nice.
Dianne
Sep 19, 2016 Dianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. Really good history of the entire Manning family and their love of football. Enjoyed reading it. I couldn't put it down at the end.
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Ron Baumert
Ron Baumert rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Erin Crank
Erin Crank rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2017
  • That First Season: How Vince Lombardi Took the Worst Team in the NFL and Set It on the Path to Glory
  • Haunted Baseball: Ghosts, Curses, Legends, And Eerie Events
  • I Am Third: The Inspiration for Brian's Song
  • Escobar: The Inside Story Of Pablo Escobar, The World's Most Powerful Crimina
  • The Way We Were: Remembering Diana
  • Anchored in Love: An Intimate Portrait of June Carter Cash
  • Where Are They Buried?: How Did They Die? Fitting Ends and Final Resting Places of the Famous, Infamous, and Noteworthy
  • Living Like a Runaway
  • The House That Ruth Built: A New Stadium, the First Yankees Championship, and the Redemption of 1923

“I'm a firm believer the the first two tenets of effective child-rearing boil down to "spend a lot of time with your children" and "cherish them," because, one, they need you when they're growing, and, two, they're going to be up and gone before you realize it.” 0 likes