Start by marking “Mystic Warrior” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Mystic Warrior

Tracy Hickman

Mystic Warrior (The Bronze Canticles #1)

3.4 of 5 stars 3.40  ·  rating details  ·  685 ratings  ·  43 reviews

From the husband-and-wife team comes a monumental new dragon-laden fantasy series. "The scope, detail, meticulous planning and weaving and winding storyline . . . are just breathtaking."R.A. Salvatore.

Audio, 0 pages
Published May 1st 2004 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Mystic Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystic Warrior

Joy
An interesting premise based on Mystics who have dreams that cross dimensional realms where they either go mad or find they can tap into the magic of metaphor. Their world is ruled by dragons who have made themselves their gods and; as is typical with religion, it's dirty secrets are horrific.

The writing is continually engaging and the mystery of what is really happening is dangled far enough ahead to keep you reading. THe protagonist is in denial of his real and considerable power, having lost
Matt
Tracy and Laura Hickman usually deliver on all things fantasy, but for my taste Mystic Warrior falls a bit flat about mid way through. The grand epic adventure they are so good at is missing in this tale; The story starts off good enough, but about half way through I become bored and just wanted something to happen. The main characters are interesting but the secondary characters feel less important, as if they are only there to push the story along. I didn't feel any of the desperation the char ...more
Claire
I was torn between giving this book 2 stars because I didn't really like it that much and 3 stars because the world was interesting. 2.5 stars, then?

It was a struggle to finish "Mystic Warrior." I was interested in the faery realm and the goblin realm, and the story lines there, but the human realm was boring. And since most of the story revolves around the characters in the human realm, I was bored a good bit of the time. I finished it mostly to see what happens in the faery and goblin realms,
Petra Eriksson
I started reading this book 2008 and stopped when I had one third of left. I don't know why but I do that sometimes. I should perhaps have started over from the beginning but when I start reading again it dosen't take long before I remember and I find it boring reading books I have already read if I did not really, really like it.
I had one thing that quite bugged me the book through, the name Galen. That is the Swedish word for mad and perhaps the two writers even knew that, if you think about
Zachellis
Mystic Warrior is a tale of three different worlds. All of them occupy the same space, but on a different plane, and communication between these worlds is only possible for certain people through what appear to be dreams. On the faerie world, the inhabitants are under attack from hordes of satyrs and centaurs as their way of life is threatened. On another, goblins scour the countryside looking for ancient machines that can be made to work, especially signs of the old Titans who inhabited the la ...more
Tyler
It has been a while since I have read a book which so heavily depended on a sequel to continue its story lines. And I have to say, it is really annoying! Nothing is resolved really and hardly anything makes any sense yet. That being said, it is an interesting direction that the Hickman's took for this set of worlds, I'm not familiar with any works that function like this. True, it does bear some resemblance to Weis and Hickman's Death Gate Cycle in the different worlds, but a unified world as th ...more
Jen McGovern
the first book in a proposed trilogy entitled "the bronze canticles," this book begins as a typical sci-fi/fantasy book, set in what could be medieval times, if not for the presence of dwarves and other non-humans. however, through well-developed characters and a novel way of playing with time/space, the book won me over. it poses the idea that there are (in this case) 3 worlds, all of which are occupying roughly the same space and time, but which can only interact in dreams. throughout the book ...more
Hope Terrell
I wanted to like this. I found Galen and his "madness" an interesting concept, but then he vanished for long stretches and I was left to struggle through the fairy world and info dumps galore. I gave up about 100 pages in after flipping ahead and realizing that Galen rarely makes any appearances, and he was the only one I cared about anyway..
James
I did like this book, but at the same time I had a few problems with it. I liked how the story progressed through the three different realms; however, on numerous occasions, I felt like I was just getting interested in the storyline of one of the realms and as soon as I was drawn into the book, the plot shifted to one of the other realms. This made Mystic Warrior a slower read for me, especially for a fantasy series. An example of this was the scene when Tragget and his mother were reading the d ...more
Lisa
This is a complicated book, with action happening in three different "worlds" which are connected through some "mystic" magic which we still do not understand or have any significant knowledge of by the end of the book - at least, I didn't! The main characters are interesting, and you develop some sympathy for them by the end of the book, so I have started into the next of the series. Fortunately I am on vacation, and so have more, longer, blocks of time to get into it and follow connections. My ...more
Lljolley
Slow starting but is expected given what the author is trying to do with interweaving three stories. It certainly picked up at the end and I am looking forward to reading the next in the series.
Jason Fisher
The the idea of three story lines in parallel worlds was unique. At first it took awhile to see how they relate, but once one figures it out, it is really fascinating.
Chandra
This is probably the first Tracey Hickman book since Dragonlance that I liked right off the bat. The concept and characterization was novel and made an immediate connection. I also thought it was refreshing that characters stayed loyal to their spouse throughout the book when it could have easily turned into one of them meeting someone new and exciting, plus they were no longer technically married anyway and becoming a cliched trope.

I'm looking forward to reading the next one and see how it all
John
I was conflicted between giving this a 3 and a 4 star rating. I did like the book quite a bit, but it just didn't really reach out and grab me and make me want to read it. While I did finish this sooner than now when I post it, it still took me almost 2 weeks to plow through it which was disappointing in a way. It's kinda hard to explain...I think some of it was the three different storylines and that they didn't really overlap/interact with each other all that much which made it harder to read.
Jenny Garner
Jul 29, 2008 Jenny Garner rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci-fantasy readers
Another good fantasy series from Tracy and Laura Hickman. This book is about three connected universes that are slowly being drawn together. The human world, the goblin world and the faery world. Galen, a human blacksmith, is trying to hide his magical powers. Anyone in this world with magic is deemed a lunatic. Galen is captured by Dragon Priests and imprisoned. His wife, Berkita and best friend, Cephas the dwarf set off to rescue him. Read this book to find out what happens to Galen.
Tim
Although this book was full of good ideas it failed at putting them all together in a way that made sense. The book starts out with a “Thrice upon a time” with the idea of telling three stories from three different worlds that somehow were connected. Unfortunately we never found out how they were connected. I was very disappointed with this book and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone.
Heather
I'm not really in love with this series, which is a shame as I normally really like Tracy Hickman's books that are written with Margaret Weis in the Dragonlance series. This series has left me feeling like I'm playing mental catch up so many times. There are often deliberate time gaps and content gaps where you're left trying to infer what has happened.
Pierre
Book didn't draw me in after the first chapter. I Didn't enjoy the writing style. First person narratives are dull, especially when the characters and settings are unfamiliar and not strong. Map style and place names were similar to Dragonlance setting, which is annoying, since this is supposed to be another world.

Meh.
Wogc
first book in a trilogy. Plot is bit difficult to follow as three "realms" are present in the same world (human/dragon + faeries + goblins) but they are in some ways connected. Plus, there's no real "hero" or MC at that point. Maybe one character will eventually stick out in book 2....
Kelly
Just can't get myself back into this one. The first part was pretty good but then it switched to a another world and new characters. I could see how there was a connection but honestly i didn't care enough to find out the extent of it.
Hans
The first book was barely worth 2 stars, it got worse from there. If all Hickman's books are this bad he should really consider another career, and spare the world from things that bring disgrace to the entire fantasy genre.
Katie Reid
This has an interesting, and different theme of magic from many of the fantasy novels I have read. I did enjoy it, but I found myself tuning it out much to often. I guess that it was a bit boring.
Sophon
Well, I have to say it wasn't a great book but not horrible either. Not quite like the DragonLance series in depth and character development. I haven't had the desire to read the rest of the series yet.
Chrissyreads
A good fantasy read, if not a little confusing at times and the ending seemed a bit rushed. Good characters, though, some of them didn't get enough scene time.

Overall, I liked it.
Kenn Anderson
This book started out slow and was hard to follow the 3 different realities. About halfway through, it picked up and I flew through the rest. I will definitly read the rest of the series
Heather Eck
This series is hard to follow because there is several worlds and story lines going on at once. Each world affects the others. I'm gonna try and stick with it.. On to book 2.
Boyd
Compared to the other stories that Tracy Hickman has co-written, this was so-so. I didn't really get into the story, and the dual-world thing didn't really work for me.
Mike
This was definitely pulp fantasy -- the fantasy equivalent of Tom Clancy -- but it entertained me during my flights and travel, so I guess it did its job!
Major Doug
Good book: a bit hard to follow the implied interactions between the 3 worlds of magic; however, it provided a good base for the next book(s) in the series.
Julie
The ideas in this book are okay on their own, but the writing is clunky and some of the purplest prose I've read in a while. I won't be reading the sequels.
  • Well of Darkness (Sovereign Stone, #1)
  • Grayheart  (Wolfwalker, #4)
  • The Day of the Tempest (Dragonlance: Dragons of a New Age, #2)
  • Lord of the Libraries (The Rover, #3)
  • The Kingless Land (Band of Four, #1)
  • Wolfhelm (Dragonrealm, #3)
  • Savage Messiah (The Destinies of Blood and Stone, #1)
  • The White Dragon (Chronicles of Sirkara, #2)
  • Lord of the Rose (Dragonlance: Rise of Solamnia, #1)
NYT Best-selling fantasy authors Tracy Hickman, with his wife Laura, began their journey across the 'Sea of Possibilities' as the creators of 'Dragonlance' and their voyage continues into new areas with the 'Drakis' trilogy, 'Wayne of Gotham', a Batman novel for DC Comics and his 'Dragon's Bard' collector's series . Tracy has over fifty books currently in print in most languages around the world. ...more
More about Tracy Hickman...

The Bronze Canticles (3 books)
  • Mystic Quest (The Bronze Canticles, #2)
  • Mystic Empire (The Bronze Canticles, #3)
Dragonlance Adventures Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3) Wayne of Gotham Dragonlance Campaign Setting Companion: Legends Of The Twins (Dragonlance) The Immortals