Start by marking “That's Mr. Faggot to You: Further Trials from My Queer Life” as Want to Read:
That's Mr. Faggot to You: Further Trials from My Queer Life

That's Mr. Faggot to You: Further Trials from My Queer Life

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  293 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
In That's Mr. Faggot to You, Michael Thomas Ford continues his exploration of contemporary gay life. He does not shy away from personal revelations--he recalls his own traumatic high school experiences but recognizes that, years later, he's happier and, more importantly, a great deal more attractive than his classmates--but also offers insight into more political issues su ...more
Published June 15th 1999 by Alyson Books

To ask other readers questions about That's Mr. Faggot to You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That's Mr. Faggot to You

Damien
Jan 11, 2010 Damien rated it it was ok
Shelves: queer
Michael Thomas Ford is no David Sedaris, that's for sure. If I had read this 10 years ago, when it came out, I might have liked it better. And even at the beginning, I found myself nodding my head in agreement. After the first part it gets boring. And more boring. He moves on to show that he is as typically "gay" as he denies being, and he is as "normal" as he says he does not want to be.
Kevin
Aug 28, 2015 Kevin rated it it was amazing
Cranky, bemused and extremely funny, Ford (Alec Baldwin Doesn't Love Me) is brilliant even on potentially mundane topics like high school reunions (""Michael Thomas Ford is very proud to announce that he is still queer... [and] happier, more successful, and a great deal more attractive"" than his former schoolmates) and the giving of advice to his 12-year-old nephew about girlfriends (it wasn't so bad, once he mentally substituted Roberto and Jesse for Amber and Megan in the junior-high love tri ...more
Aaron
May 03, 2009 Aaron rated it it was amazing
This was Ford's second book of essays. It is nicely broken down into themed sections that focus on everything from a set dealing with dogs (his own and canines in general) and God (or religion) which are thrown together due to their inverted spellings, his views on gay culture, dating, how gay teens are treated,and just everyday life.

He just has an interesting view about the world. He is a master at satirizing the things around them. It is not mean-hearted, and it makes you think. It almost alwa
Shoryl
Apr 25, 2008 Shoryl rated it it was ok
Shelves: queer-nonfiction
While the writing itself is very good, and even usually witty; I found that I was lacking two important things to be in agreement with Mike regularly. Those two things are a driving desire for being very out and a love of dogs with a disregard for the laws regarding same in most townships. Some of his essays, however, are highly entertaining. Just be prepared to take him with a grain of salt.
Kellyann
Nov 08, 2010 Kellyann rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, lgbtq
Hilarious - I startled the cats by laughing out loud several times. I also appreciate Ford's wry and counter-sub-cultural (if I can coin a phrase) analysis of certain issues of the late '90s, such as the over-the-top condemnation of the movie In & Out in queer circles. He nicely cuts through the b.s.
Wils Cain
Apr 20, 2009 Wils Cain rated it really liked it
A collection of very funny editorials that Ford has written. Can be a little repetative all together, but with that in mind it's a light entertaining read. Overall Ford hit home for me points about Why do gays want to be like everyone else? Isn't it more fun being underground and on the edges of society?
Cbernard3
Oct 28, 2014 Cbernard3 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This collection of essays are combined; creating a well-knit book full of laughter and humor. I read The Last Summer by this author and the two works are as different as night and day. There is almost a laugh in every paragraph in That's Mr. Faggot to You. If you are looking for non-fiction, this is the greatest!
Gerry Kelly
Feb 14, 2013 Gerry Kelly rated it it was amazing
Excellent. The author captured my own thoughts so well, sometimes I thought I should have written this. Gay is about being different and not being like everyone else. So be proud of your natural qualities.
Recommended A++++
Rob
May 24, 2013 Rob rated it it was amazing
This was the first collection I read, because the title definitely got my attention. I read this during a time when I was not in the best place, so Ford's essays were a welcome comfort. I highly recommend all of them!
V. L. Craven
V. L. Craven rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2013
Crystal Gail  Welcome
Crystal Gail Welcome rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2012
Curtis Pettit
Curtis Pettit rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Bob
Bob rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2012
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2007
Eric
Eric rated it it was ok
Jan 13, 2013
Thom
Thom rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2007
Juliet
Juliet rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
yohtan
yohtan rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2011
Jæ Larson
Jæ Larson rated it it was amazing
Oct 05, 2016
Scott Flanary
Scott Flanary rated it it was ok
Jan 21, 2015
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2012
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2007
Brad
Brad rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Joel
Joel rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2014
Patrick Durgin
Patrick Durgin rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2013
Naedlo
Naedlo rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2012
Roddec
Roddec rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2011
Phillip Brown
Phillip Brown rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2010
Fred
Fred rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Openly Bob
  • Exile in Guyville: How a Punk Rock Redneck Faggot Texan Moved to West Hollywood and Refused to Be Shiny and Happy
  • Boys Like Us: Gay Writers Tell Their Coming Out Stories
  • Savage Love: Straight Answers from America's Most Popular Sex Columnist
  • Tribe (Todd Mills Mystery, #2)
  • How I Learned to Snap: A Small Town Coming-Out and Coming-of-Age Story
  • Swish: My Quest to Become the Gayest Person Ever
  • Howtown (Henry Rios Mystery, #3)
  • Confessions of the Other Mother: Nonbiological Lesbian Moms Tell All!
  • Reports from the Holocaust: The Story of An AIDS Activist
  • Deflowered: My Life in Pansy Division
  • Virtually Normal
  • Christianity, Social Tolerance, and Homosexuality: Gay People in Western Europe from the Beginning of the Christian Era to the Fourteenth Century
  • I'm the One That I Want
  • Afterlife
  • A Place I've Never Been
  • Gay America: Struggle for Equality
  • Going the Other Way: Lessons from a Life In and Out of Major League Baseball
Michael Thomas Ford is the author of more than fifty books, for both young readers and adults, in genres ranging from humor to horror, literary fiction to nonfiction. As a writer for young adults he is the author of the popular "Circle of Three" series (writing as Isobel Bird); nonfiction books about spirituality (Paths of Faith), the AIDS crisis (Voices of AIDS), and the gay community (The World ...more
More about Michael Thomas Ford...