Managing Online Forums: Everything You Need to Know to Create and Run Successful Community Discussion Boards

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Forums add a powerful component to any website. This is the only guide that shows how to run a fun, informative, and harmonious online forum.
Published April 10th 2008 by AMACOM/American Management Association

To ask other readers questions about Managing Online Forums, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Managing Online Forums

Trevor Owens
The book delivers what the title suggests. As someone who managed forums for an open source community software project I can say that I would have benefited from reading this earlier. The book focuses on examples from vBullitin and phpBB and might have benefited more from consideration of a range of other platforms (things like BBpress and or Vanilla forums). With that said, the focus of the book is not really on specific software as much as it is on general principles. The book does a particula...more
Heidi
Sep 12, 2008 Heidi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heidi by: Patrick O'Keefe
Patrick does a great job of giving you all the details you need to create a successful online forum, from the why to the excruciatingly detailed how. Some chapters are good reference, but definitely read the first half before you create your own forums. I wish I had!
Rise
I didn't read this book from cover to cover. But I read what I needed to read. Even if one is using a different online discussion site/platform from the one in the book, one can always apply the general guidelines prescribed. Useful? Yes.
Malcolm
Apr 06, 2010 Malcolm rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone running an online forum
The title of this book accurately reflects what you will find in its covers. I'm sure it would be an excellent guide for anyone setting up an on line forum. I was reading it for another purpose.
I didn't learn a lot from this book as I have no intention of managing an online forum. In the absence of books on how to operate Blackboard online sites, I read this kind of book hoping to glean a few new ideas. Therefore I could afford to skip the sections in this book on managing staff and making money...more
Matt
At times this went too deep into the quibbles of forum denizens and the author seemed to be a bit obsessed with governance. Governance is important, but his suggestions came off a bit autocratic at times. Beyond those issues, this book is a practical guide to setting up an entire community, not just forums as the title suggests.
Levi
This is great book for anyone thinking of running an online forum. I read it all the way through but this book will constantly be skimmed back and forth as I build my community.
Bethharte
This is a great book if you are considering setting up an online forum. It provides pros/cons, etc.
Colin
Colin added it
Aug 05, 2014
Korovsky
Korovsky marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Alejandro Flores
Alejandro Flores is currently reading it
Jul 08, 2014
William Jenkins
William Jenkins is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2014
Mariusz
Mariusz is currently reading it
Mar 31, 2014
John
John added it
Feb 21, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Marlinda
Marlinda marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Alexander Timofeev
Alexander Timofeev marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2014
Jonathan Hoey
Jonathan Hoey marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 13, 2013
Stranix
Stranix marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Video: SXSWi 2008 Book Reading: "Managing Online Forums" 1 11 Oct 13, 2008 07:34PM
Patrick O'Keefe is the founder of the iFroggy Network, a publisher of websites. He has been managing online communities since 2000 and is the author of "Managing Online Forums," a practical guide to managing online communities and social spaces.

He has been responsible for the creation and cultivation of communities like KarateForums.com, phpBBHacks.com and PhotoshopForums.com. He blogs about onlin...more
More about Patrick O'Keefe...
Monetizing Online Forums: A Practical Guide to Monetizing Online Forums - The Right Way Alfred Hitchcock's Words of Prey