Start by marking “Sleeping with Patty Hearst” as Want to Read:
Sleeping with Patty Hearst

Sleeping with Patty Hearst

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Published November 28th 2010 by Tigress Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Sleeping with Patty Hearst, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sleeping with Patty Hearst

Robert Morrow
Sleeping with Patty Hearst is the finest work of literary fiction I have read in the last ten years---a great book by a writer who has the potential to be very influential on the American literary scene.

The characterization of this as a "debut novel" is technically true but somewhat misleading. Ms. Moore has extensive experience as a writer; it just so happens that she is now practicing this talent in the world of fiction. This book is written with confidence and courage; there are issues that M
Terri R
I was delighted to receive this exceptional book through the author's gracious Kindle give-away and while it took me several weeks to get started once I began I found the story thoroughly engrossing and read it in a few short days.

The book may be classified as "women's fiction", but I felt it was more of a coming of age novel. Ms. Moore does an outstanding job in telling the story of two half-sisters with a self-absorbed, dysfunctional single mother and the cast of characters that help define th
Rick Bylina
About ten years ago, my book club read six books in a row, all women's fiction, in which all the male characters were scum of the Earth. As one of only two men in a group of fourteen, my testicles were constantly on the chopping block. "Sleeping With Patty Hearst" by Mary Lambeth Moore made me think of those days. In Lily's coming of age story, no man has a positive character litmus test, and I saw it coming early on. She does, however, rise up over my lowered expectations of male bashing and we ...more
Ash
It held my interest til the very end. It was eloquently written and kept me wanting more. The only thing this book left me wanting was another chapter. However, I can compeletly understand the sentiment between L and C at the very end. The sense of "and all is right with the world..... ahhhh". I can see this book being one of the VERY few I will read again and again. Thank you for giving us this wonderful escape into another life.
Andy Holloman

I was initially skeptical that this novel would hold my attention as it is not in a genre that I typically read, but boy was I wrong. Mary Lambeth Moore has woven a delightful tale with characters that tingle with personality, humor, and charm. Every time I finished a session reading the novel, my thoughts wandered back to the characters and what would happen next. Because I grew up in a small NC town in the 70's, I felt as if I was thrust back into that wonderful, innocent world again. I delig
Darlene
I won this book through goodreads.com and boy was I wowed. I can't exactly pin point what it is I liked so much about this book but it has remained in my mind since I finished it.
Mary Lambeth Moore beautifully weaves together a story about half sisters, their dysfunctional, odd relationships with one another, with their mother and with the surrounding people in their lives.
It's a wonderful book about the evolution of one's self, of the relationships we have with others and the evolution of the
Ashley Memory
I was hooked the moment I read the first line of this exquisite book.

You were twelve and I was eleven when we sewed our fingers together. I clutched my hands behind my back while you threaded the needle, the thinnest you could find. You said I was being a baby. “We’ll be blood sisters,” you said.

As a child of the seventies, I could identify with the paradox presented by the themes of liberation and the ties of family. Yet Moore navigates the tricky emotional landscape with authority, compassio
Sheila
This book kept me reading from 6 o’clock to midnight, with only a few bathroom breaks, and even those were taken reluctantly! It was totally absorbing. The writing is brilliant, like watching the most accomplished, world-class ballerina. You don’t see the pain, the work, the frustrations, the effort, just the beautiful finished product, the art, not the artistry. I really loved this book. And I’m picky, easily offended by weak or not-quite-good-enough writing. This was a gem.
I received a copy o
Bookmaniac70
I downloaded this novel from Amazon.com for free, trusting the good reviews it has received, and I was not disappointed. Well, you are not going to find anything surprising in the plot. The story follows a well used pattern- single mother, early pregnancies, a rebel sister, running away from home. But the book makes a quite good absorbing read thanks to the vivid, clear language which gives you almost a visual and acoustic image of characters and scenes. I would be interested in exploring a seco ...more
Lori Kikuchi
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I read it twice - and that is very rare for me. I love the story of these three women, how they grow, and how they come to understand their relationships and themselves. The book is set in the 1970's in small-town North Carolina. Even though I am from New England, I had no trouble relating to this book. Really, how different is one small town from another? This book is honest; it touched my heart and made a lasting impression on me.
Susan
I did not want the book to end. The characters were so vibrant i felt as if they were family. The anticipation of the sisters reuniting was at times unbearable. Family dysfunction is dealt with humor and grace. I will glady recommend this book to all my friends.
Annie Talley
One of my favorite books ever. The characters captivated me and I couldn't put it down. The story is funny, tragic, happy, sad, and it leaves you at the end wanting more. It would make an amazing movie. I love this book. I've read it twice.
Mary Hatfield
I absolutely loved the book! I couldn't put it down. I was so worried about the sisters getting back together, I had to keep going. Really hope she writes another one soon - I can't wait!!
Deb
Amazing and captivating work by a first-time novelist. The character development is superb.
Vanessa
Compelling read. Loved the ending.
Sharon
I received this book from the First Reads giveaway.

This story is not about Patty Hearst. It is a story about two half-sisters in small town North Carolina. It takes place in the 70's, and a parallel is drawn between the running away and capture of Patty Hearst and that of Connie's (the older sister) running away. I found the book cover and title to be a bit confusing to the book's content.

This is the story of two half-sisters who grow up very close to each other. They live with their eccentric m
Tammy
This is a story of two teenage girls growing up in a home without much love with a single mom. The oldest girl was conceived by an encounter with the family gardener. Loretta was openly flirting with him and removing her clothes, he asked her to stop and to leave but she just laughed so he had his way with her even though she didn't want it to go that far. The next day the Gardner left without notice. Several weeks later she found out she was a pregnant teenager. Her mother made her take care of ...more
Lisa
I don't think this is a book I would normally pick off of a shelf, but I really liked it. The characters are all pretty likable, even though some of them are kind of crummy people. Most of them have had some pretty rough times so you can forgive them for some of their attitudes or behaviors. I wish that Patty Hearst was a bigger part of the story. It almost seems like that was edited in as an after thought, but never really became a part of the story. I also wish that we could have been inside c ...more
Elyse
Mary Lambeth Moore is a great writer--AND a terrific storyteller!

I completely enjoyed this little 'gem'! (gotta thank our friends-*Sheila*- when they suggest a book to us). Thank you!
I never heard of "Sleeping with Patty Hearst" or Mary Lambeth Moore --until a couple of weeks ago.

I think most of my friends would be fully engaged with the characters, and the story.

Melissa Brown
I loved Sleeping With Patty Hearst, by Mary Lambeth Moore! It was a great character study of two sisters and the dysfunctional family in which they lived. The beauty of this book is that the writing is so seamless, I got lost in the story for hours at a time. Moore has a great talent for dialogue and for adding depth to all her characters. I really loved this book@
Sara
This story was engrossing. The charaters were interesting and complex. The ending left me hanging. I actually turned the last page thinking it was going to keep going. Would definitely read this author again.
Cindy White
This book wasn't the best I ever read but it did keep my interest. I think the lesson is that no matter what these two sisters went through, in the end they were always there for each other.
Robin Donegan
Finished this book in 2 days...had a hard time putting it aside. I would highly recommend it!
Sharon Maerten-Moore
Great character based story!
Leanna Kowallis
Leanna Kowallis marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2015
Jennifer Holmes
Jennifer Holmes marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Tatum Primeau
Tatum Primeau marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Leeanne
Leeanne marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Lea Anne White
Lea Anne White marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Mary Lambeth Moore has lived in Washington, D.C., Boston and the southwestern mountains of Arizona, but she always comes back to her native North Carolina. Her work has been published under the names of executives, CEOs, civil rights leaders and national commentators. SLEEPING WITH PATTY HEARST is her first novel. Mary lives in Raleigh, NC with her husband and 15-year-old son.
More about Mary Lambeth Moore...
O. Henry Festival Stories 1991