Start by marking “The Village” as Want to Read:
The Village

The Village

2.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Exploring a year in the lives of various inhabitants of an anonymous small town.
Published April 1st 1996 by Back Bay Books (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Village, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Village

Carac Allison
Jun 20, 2014 Carac Allison rated it did not like it

Sometimes it's secretly nice when a favorite author fails. Because you learn that he or she is human.

That's how I feel about "The Village". David Mamet is a brilliant essayist, an unparalleled playwright and a hit or miss novelist. "The Village" is definitely a miss.

Everything apart from the dialogue is heavy and sluggish. The interior monologues are revealing but to little purpose. There's no real story and nothing and no one to care about.

Carac
Steve Petherbridge
Sep 14, 2014 Steve Petherbridge rated it it was ok
I purchased this book at a sale, mostly going on the deserved and eminent reputation of David Mamet as a great playwright and screenplay writer. Wrong!

Admittedly, it is his first novel, but, on this evidence he is not a master of that form and reading the novel will give great encouragement to amateur writers everywhere! In my opinion, this is a rushed out novel that required a few rewrites and is obviously carelessly edited and not professionally proof read. Characterisation, plot and continui
Aaron Martz
Feb 27, 2016 Aaron Martz rated it it was ok
Mamet, the king of dialogue, fashions a book of vignettes largely composed of interior monologues, one each seemingly for the entire population of a New England town. Only a few of them are interesting, the best coming near the end when a hunter gets lost in the woods and finally realizes he's not as smart as he thinks and has been walking in the wrong direction for hours. The only thing Mamet seems to explore with any depth is how to make the country bumpkin dialogue as unreadable as possible b ...more
Tony
Mar 24, 2010 Tony rated it liked it
Mamet, David. THE VILLAGE. (1994). ***. This was Mamet’s first novel, and it makes you suspect that it was the collected notes he had for a series of plays, or for practice in writing his trademarked dialogs. There is not story and no plot. What he does is to look at a discrete number of people who live in a village somewhere in New England and use their thoughts to describe the lives they are going through for a set period of time. All of the characters are full of dark, brooding thoughts and u ...more
David
Dec 21, 2015 David rated it really liked it
There's some really good stuff in here, but it is hard as hell to figure out who is being talked about so the reader can get to it. I think that's why there are so many angry reviews in here. There is some great language for the characters and some great description, but it still takes a really long time to figure out who is the focus at a given time, and it switches frequently. Without being able to tell that, the reader can't get a sense of who everyone is and how they individually progress ac ...more
Gary Britson
Oct 21, 2015 Gary Britson rated it liked it
Like much of Hemingway, this book was interesting, with good characters and credible situations and dialogue. Then, suddenly, as with much of Hemingway, everyone decides to go fishing. I will never know what writers find so fascinating about fishing, or, for that matter, about shooting deer. These things are the death sentence to what could have been a good novel.
Sean-patrick Burke
Dec 29, 2015 Sean-patrick Burke rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-2016
I enjoyed moments of this book, but it was like a Malick film, drifting from event to nothingness at a whim, and endowing a greater intelligence to everyday folks than is realistic. I cannot recommend it, but as a Vermonter it was nice to read about people I recognized, even if their internal monologues felt like professorial musings of a very smart writer.
Anna Macdonald
Apr 10, 2014 Anna Macdonald rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Four stars for occasional flashes of brilliance, beauty, and humour, especially with one character. Two stars for overall boringness, unfinished conversations, and female characters -- who consisted of the nagging wife, the teenage slut, the battered woman, and the gossips. Averages out to three.
Micahlibris
Mar 18, 2014 Micahlibris rated it really liked it
Mamet's vivid description of the daily minutiae of the characters in this novel is compelling and engaging. It would have been nice if each chapter had a heading with the name of the character so that you could get into the mindset of that individual before you started reading. This is one of the best books I've read in the past year.
Stephen Redwood
Dec 12, 2012 Stephen Redwood rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
A series of interior monologues, patched together across exterior world actions and conversations. The protagonists live in the same village, but they might as well just be random characterizations, given the fairly weak connections built between them. There were some passages that drew me in and tripped me into a reflective state, but overall it never became a coherent whole and, as a result, I found myself struggling to remember characters, events and, therefore, their relevance as I struggled ...more
Kit
Aug 06, 2011 Kit rated it liked it
Most of Mamet's characters in The Village are a bunch of barely likable males. Being inside their heads, listening to their streams of consciousness, was more often than not, a barely tolerable place to be. I rather thought he might kill off a character of two, and it was fun for me to consider which misogynist I'd like to see go first, but then I realized it didn't matter, because I wouldn't miss any of them.
Nancy
Jun 04, 2009 Nancy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, northeast-us
This was our book group’s selection for November 1996. I think it was Mamet’s first book and hardly anyone in the group liked it. I’m a big fan of his screen plays and did enjoy the small vignettes, but it was difficult to keep track of who was doing what. Although I appreciate Mamet’s craft as a writer—this just didn’t work as a novel.
Patrick
Nov 23, 2008 Patrick rated it it was ok
Pretentious and boring. Mamet's dialogue is good, but his characters are no more than cliches. He should've done more research for this book than watching Fargo.
Pabarrett
The Village: A Novel by David Mamet (1994)
Pam Starbuck
Apr 21, 2013 Pam Starbuck rated it did not like it
Hard to read and follow the plot. Did not like.
Martha Kapazoglou
Martha Kapazoglou marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
dale
dale is currently reading it
Apr 29, 2016
JAC
JAC marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
James
James added it
Apr 02, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2016
Mahmoud
Mahmoud marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Garrett
Garrett marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it did not like it
Oct 07, 2015
Renan Virginio
Renan Virginio marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Daniel Schmid
Daniel Schmid marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
JP Wright
JP Wright rated it did not like it
Aug 07, 2015
Marni
Marni rated it did not like it
Jul 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
David Alan Mamet is an American author, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and film director. His works are known for their clever, terse, sometimes vulgar dialogue and arcane stylized phrasing, as well as for his exploration of masculinity.

As a playwright, he received Tony nominations for Glengarry Glen Ross (1984) and Speed-the-Plow (1988). As a screenwriter, he received Oscar nominations for Th
More about David Mamet...