The Village

The Village

2.66 of 5 stars 2.66  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Published April 1st 1996 by Back Bay Books (first published 1994)

Carac Allison

Sometimes it's secretly nice when a favorite author fails. Because you learn that he or she is human.

That's how I feel about "The Village". David Mamet is a brilliant essayist, an unparalleled playwright and a hit or miss novelist. "The Village" is definitely a miss.

Everything apart from the dialogue is heavy and sluggish. The interior monologues are revealing but to little purpose. There's no real story and nothing and no one to care about.

Carac
Tony
Mamet, David. THE VILLAGE. (1994). ***. This was Mamet’s first novel, and it makes you suspect that it was the collected notes he had for a series of plays, or for practice in writing his trademarked dialogs. There is not story and no plot. What he does is to look at a discrete number of people who live in a village somewhere in New England and use their thoughts to describe the lives they are going through for a set period of time. All of the characters are full of dark, brooding thoughts and u...more
Anna Macdonald
Four stars for occasional flashes of brilliance, beauty, and humour, especially with one character. Two stars for overall boringness, unfinished conversations, and female characters -- who consisted of the nagging wife, the teenage slut, the battered woman, and the gossips. Averages out to three.
Micahlibris
Mamet's vivid description of the daily minutiae of the characters in this novel is compelling and engaging. It would have been nice if each chapter had a heading with the name of the character so that you could get into the mindset of that individual before you started reading. This is one of the best books I've read in the past year.
Stephen Redwood
A series of interior monologues, patched together across exterior world actions and conversations. The protagonists live in the same village, but they might as well just be random characterizations, given the fairly weak connections built between them. There were some passages that drew me in and tripped me into a reflective state, but overall it never became a coherent whole and, as a result, I found myself struggling to remember characters, events and, therefore, their relevance as I struggled...more
Kit
Most of Mamet's characters in The Village are a bunch of barely likable males. Being inside their heads, listening to their streams of consciousness, was more often than not, a barely tolerable place to be. I rather thought he might kill off a character of two, and it was fun for me to consider which misogynist I'd like to see go first, but then I realized it didn't matter, because I wouldn't miss any of them.
Nancy
This was our book group’s selection for November 1996. I think it was Mamet’s first book and hardly anyone in the group liked it. I’m a big fan of his screen plays and did enjoy the small vignettes, but it was difficult to keep track of who was doing what. Although I appreciate Mamet’s craft as a writer—this just didn’t work as a novel.
Patrick
Pretentious and boring. Mamet's dialogue is good, but his characters are no more than cliches. He should've done more research for this book than watching Fargo.
Pabarrett
The Village: A Novel by David Mamet (1994)
Pam Starbuck
Hard to read and follow the plot. Did not like.
G
G added it
Jul 14, 2014
Peachie
Peachie marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Tamara Fisher
Tamara Fisher marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Aliyah
Aliyah is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2014
Rhiannon
Rhiannon marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2014
Tayler Marton
Tayler Marton marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Doug
Doug marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Suzan
Suzan added it
Oct 11, 2013
Jack
Jack added it
Sep 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
David Alan Mamet is an American author, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and film director. His works are known for their clever, terse, sometimes vulgar dialogue and arcane stylized phrasing, as well as for his exploration of masculinity.

As a playwright, he received Tony nominations for Glengarry Glen Ross (1984) and Speed-the-Plow (1988). As a screenwriter, he received Oscar nominations for Th...more
More about David Mamet...
Glengarry Glen Ross Oleanna American Buffalo Sexual Perversity in Chicago & The Duck Variations True and False: Heresy and Common Sense for the Actor