Narnia Omnibus: " Magician's Nephew " , " Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe " , " Horse And His Boy " (The Chronicles Of Narnia)

Narnia Omnibus: " Magician's Nephew " , " Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe " , " Horse And His Boy " (The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronological Order) #1-3)

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  4,497 ratings  ·  65 reviews
The Magician's Nephew opens the doorway to the
magical land of Narnia for the first time...

In The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, Peter,
Edmund, Susan and Lucy stumble upon the world of
Narnia. Here, Winter and the White Witch are the
greatest threats and the children must join forces with the
great lion, Aslan, to battle against the evil enchantment.

In The Horse and His Boy,...more
Published (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Narnia Omnibus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Narnia Omnibus

Leah Beecher
I went camping two weeks ago and tragically forgot to bring any books. The only books I could find at a friends house who lives at the campsite were this series that I have always wanted to read.
Love them as I knew I would{even though I usually don't read fantasy or books for children for myself} The brilliance of C.S. Lewis's writing and subtle spiritual symbolism makes up for it. On number three right now. Review should not be long in coming...

Finished A Horse and His Boy-
Of the three I think...more
Caroline
I bought these books to get Katey going because my mother read them aloud to us. Katey didn't bite but I was so hooked early on that I am just going to read all seven books. Magicians Nephew is great. It gives you the background behind Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe. I really enjoyed this story. It is really interesting. CS Lewis had an amazing imaginiation...
Kira
I read the magicians nephew and the lion, witch, and wardrobe I am currently reading the horse and boy. i was suprised by how much I enjoyed the first two, they're an easy read.
Kate Z
I'm going to have to add to my goals for the year if I'm counting books that I read with Will.

I loved the Narnia books as a child but until Colleen told me that she was reading this with Zach I didn't even know that this book existed. It's witty and funny and the portraits of the characters are great. In terms of "action" it's a bit slow and I don't think I missed anything in terms of the Narnia series by not having read this one - but I do feel enriched, having read it.

The description of the...more
Sabrina
Wow I am WAY overdue for a post on here. Don’t worry, I’ve been feeling incredibly guilty about it on a daily basis but I promise I have valid excuses. None of which I shall share. For those of you who follow me on Twitter (@vita_literature), you may or may not remember a broad statement I made around the second week of March that involved my ambition to read the entire Chronicles of Narnia. Well I made it through books 1, 2, and even 3! Now I’m losing some steam…feel free to prod me along if yo...more
Maya
Sep 25, 2008 Maya rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
These books are, clearly, withstanding and very worthwhile literature- regardless of the reader's age. They appeal on a variety of levels, and I find it super interesting to have read them for the first time at 23.

Here's the deal- if you read these at 23 you'll likely ask some of these questions:

1. What is the deal with the Christian allegory here? What is Aslan all about? Is he meant to just _be_ Jesus? How do you feel about his role? Is this a persuasive argument?

2. Might these stories be ser...more
Michele
Loved it. His philosphies are so fun. I love how his mind works. I just found out I am not reading them in order. Oh well, I guess this came after "Lion" but I did read that one first so I guess I'll be okay. Loved how he worked in the lamp post, the wardrobe. I loved the characters of the cabbie and his wife becoming royalty. That struck a real chord with me. Will be using this quote for my YW's lesson on optimism:
Page 199: When things go wrong, you'll find they usually go on getting worse for...more
Kenneth Winters
I already wrote detailed reviews of this entire series book by book. Some of my favorite books ever by anyone in any genre! Hard to put a date on WHEN I finished the series the first time. I have read them all at least 8 times, including reading all of the books aloud to my girls when they were children...
Khalil
This book is about 4 children Peter, Susan , Lucy and Edmund Pevensie. These children are basically forced to live their home in london due to the war. So they end up having to live Profferser Kirke. On the first rainy day there they were exploring the house Lucy found what was to become Narnia. Well I do not want to tell everyone the whole book. I highly recommend you read this because it is a nce book. If you have seen the Narnia movie then the book will not be interseting. The movie spoils th...more
Kathryn
Okay...Barnes and Noble didn't have a decently priced edition Game of Thrones, so I didn't get it. What's the deal with having book one only as a Trade Paperback or Hardcover, and the sequels in Mass Market?

So, since Prince Caspian is being released Friday, I thought I should refresh my memory of Narnia. And, lo and behold, I found a seven-in-one edition for only $14.95!!! The only drawback is it's a movie tie-in. I almost didn't get it, but come on, for fiteen bucks, all seven? That's a steal....more
Grace Haney
Well, I read all of these during Summer School because I had nothing better to do and ended up really liking the series.

I think my favourite of the 3 would have to be the Magician's Nephew though because it reminded me of an Alice in Wonderland sort of thing only that it made a lot more sense and had an actual plot.

I read The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe in 6th or 7th grade and remember thinking it was sort of weird, but after reading the first one I appreciate it more now.

And The Horse...more
Carmen Garland
Horse and his Boy was a disappointment, especially after the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Nora
I read The Magicians Nephew.
Digory's evil uncle brings Polly to another world and Digory follows to bring her back. They go to another world and meet an evil queen. The evil queen goes with them to their world and makes a chaos. Digory brings the evil queen to another world but Polly, Digory's uncle, a horse and the Cabby go with them. Aslan, a lion, makes a strange music and he creates Narnia. Digory, Polly and the horse that can now fly go on a journey to bring Aslan a special apple. Another t...more
Clifford Jay
i think the narnia and the magicans nephewis nice story althoug i never read or see this film
Dylan
I thought that this book was good but the second oen of the series was better. The part I liked about the book was the pools that the two kids went into which made them go into different worlds. When I thought about this I though it was like the Christian walk with Christ. He we always open a door to a new way of life, kind of like the different pools that lead to different worlds. I do think people should read this book espcially teens.
Heather
I think I was about 27 or 28 when I read these books and I enjoyed them just as much as a child would. Its categorized as a children's book but,it is not immature and an adult can enjoy it just as much as their children. It has plenty of characters,adventure,and excitement. I loved the lessons woven within the books to be learned. I would recommend that every child read these books, and maybe even adults as well.
☀~Solar Ultrastrength~☀
I've got an explanation to make for adding this to an unusual shelf. Oh, well! Imma say it later!
Angelina
Fantasy is a tad outside of my tastes, but I really enjoy Lewis's writing and human observations. His Christian background often brings in a nice message, too.

I can't really claim to have read all of these this year, nor all of them in English (yes, I'm still on my Spanish kick), but they are quality reads and something my Sweetie and I can enjoy together.
Lindsey Marx
The magicians nephew is about the history of Narnia. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is about the adventures of Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy. Its about the tale of the White Witch and how four children overthrow her. The Horse and His Boy is about the years after the four children and before they return back to Narnia in the book Prince Caspian.
Melissa
I remember when I first saw the movie poster for the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I couldn't remember anything about the book but it struck such a chord with me, I knew it was one of my childhood favorites. I got the whole set for Christmas and it was so fun and nostalgic to read these books again. I'm a dork, I know...
Bill
When I was about seven years old, I immersed myself into a wonderful world that had adventure, magic, spirituality, and a great lesson in growing up. I have re-read the Chronicles several times over the years, and while I can never re-live the magical feeling I had the first time, I do get bits and pieces of memory when I do...
Joanna
Wait, aren't there more? My memory fails me frequently, but I'm sure there are more than this--like 7 or 8? I read them and then read them with my son, after which, he sat down and read all of the books yet again. C. S. Lewis understood Christianity and human nature on such a basic, yet ephemeral level!
Mary Bellanti
First of the Narnia series, I've never read C.S. Lewis so I'm giving them a try. Fast read. I wonder if I would have picked up on the religious undertones if I had not known about them (it was ALL I knew about this series going into it).
Cendrillon
Saga stupenda, ho amato ogni singolo volume (il mio preferito è il principe Caspian).
Da leggere assolutamente, molto meglio del film (che apprezzo, specie la colonna sonora), ma di fronte al libro... insomma, è fantastico.
Tammy
The first three books are great. And it was really nice to read the Magician's Nephew to see how everything came about. It makes more sense after reading that one. I read The Lion, The Witch, And the Wardrobe first.
Gwen Johnson
Have only read The Magician's Nephew and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I read these just prior to the release of the Disney movie. I couldn't get into them as a kid. *shrug*
Chelsea
for bookclub this month these are the exact three we are reading. Love them all especially 1 and 2. Horse and his boy is good, but was really such a side story in the chronicles.
Rachelpeart
I've read Lion-Witch-Wardrobe and Prince Caspian, but none of the others...anyone have a comment about whether I should read them in the order published or in chronological order?
Natedog225
this book is a about a boy who lives with a magician and he loses one of the magician`s pupet and he go into a book to find the pupet so u will have to read this book
Amanda Mcdermott
these books are great, if you've never read them, and like young adult literature, you should give them a try, the lion and magicians nephew are my favorites.
narniya 3 7 May 08, 2011 08:25PM
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion
  • The Magical Worlds of Narnia
  • Hai, Miiko! 10
  • Companion to Narnia: A Complete Guide to the Magical World of C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia
  • Piano/Vocal/Guitar Sheet Music: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and The Wardrobe
  • The Shadowmancer Returns: The Curse of Salamander Street (Shadowmancer, #2)
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th...more
More about C.S. Lewis...
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3) The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6) Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)