Start by marking “Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)” as Want to Read:
Magic Burns (Kate Daniels, #2)

Magic Burns (Kate Daniels #2)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  42,020 ratings  ·  2,042 reviews
Atlanta is threatened by a magic tsunami: monsters rise, magic runs deep, and a little girl is hunted by demons.

Down in Atlanta, tempers—and temperatures—are about to flare...

As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once eve
MP3 Book
Published February 10th 2009 by Tantor Media, Inc. (first published April 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Magic Burns, please sign up.

Claire she's already written another 6, if you click through to the series you'll see the rest of them.

Anzu The Great Destroyer

Hmmm I wonder what this Magic Burns book will be about

What?? I mean.. What?? This can’t be right

Why isn’t she being stupid?? Wha- How???

She’s going to fuck up

Any second now

Aaaaany second now

This book is perfect!!

I mean, amIrite? AM-I-RITE???

One thing I love about Ilona Andrews is the fact that she didn’t make Kate a sappy character. Not once did she have a "love" thought about any of the hot dudes in the book. Not once. Sure, she thinks about banging them but that’s the normal thing to do.
Jessica ❁ Elsecaller ❁ at Rabid Reads
5/11/15 REREAD with Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)!

After the trial by fire world-building of Magic Bites, any leftover questions are quickly answered in Kate Daniels #2 by virtue of the shifts from magic to tech and tech to magic occurring with alarming frequency as a result of one of this book's Big Problems: the magical Flare.

SIDENOTE--that's "Flare" as in flare-up, not "flair" as in you need at least 15 pieces on your uniform. FYI.

Right. SO a magic Flare has happened every 7(ish) years
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Buddy rereread with the eye candy IA Addicts starting May 11, 2015.

Original rating: 5
Rating after first reread: 5
New rating: 8
Did you expect anything less? *eyeroll*

Post-Shift Productions proudly present
Just Another Day in the Life of Kate Daniels

2.00 a.m.: enjoying a good night's sleep. Phone rings. Jim here! Rise and shine Kate! Time to go kill things! Here we go again.
3.00 a.m.: how to carry a dead, homicidal pyromaniac and a salamander in an enchanted sphere at the same time? Easy. De
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Kate Daniels, could you be more awesome? Nope. This book rocked my world! I loved the first book, but I loved this one even more. Kate Daniels is such a cool heroine. She's not only kickbutt, independent, and snarky, but she's utterly likeable. She's down to earth, and one of those heroines I think a guy or a girl could get along with equally well. I like her quick thinking and her ability to get out of some pretty nasty spots. And her willingness to do the right thing, even at personal cost to ...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
Kate Daniels Buddy Read/Reread on May 11 with the gang at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)

4.5 Stars bumped up a half star from first read

Revisited review after Re-read on Jun 30, 2014

Ilona Andrews is an author I think I can re-read time and time again. I liked this book even more the second time around. The magic and mythology drew me in and the plot and story were even better the second time around.

I got excited when new characters, which will be around throughout the series, were introduced and the
Rachel ♥Reads Ravenously♥
4.5 "I'm really starting to love this series" stars

“You don't cause problems. You cause catastrophes.”

photo magicburnscollage.png

While investigating a mysterious bowman who killed her mark, mercenary Kate Daniels finds herself in the custody of a pre-teen girl. Turns out the young street girl has some magical powers, the kind of powers that 1 in 10,000 people get and there are creatures coming after her. Kate must go to the last person she wants help from, Curran, and together they fight to help the girl.

Another g
Mar 17, 2013 Carol. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who likes fantasy and kick-butt women
I've procrastinated forever in writing this review. Magic Burns is one of my frequent re-reads, and I'm not sure I can do it justice.

What keeps drawing me back? An interesting heroine that is confident, skilled in her field, funny, occasionally lonely, caring despite herself and lives according to an ethical code? Action that builds from the somewhat ridiculous (a salamander pyromaniac) to the tragic (spikey dogs) to epic (a battle between shapeshifters and gods)? Relationship building that giv
Mar 26, 2014 julio rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to julio by: MostlyDelores

no poets, these two—sometimes the prose reminded me of chunk from the goonies inquiring about the possibility of some rocky road—but fuck my life can they write a Finerr Batturr or what, amirite?

ladies? can I get an amen?

*icy, shunning silence*

no? too busy drooling over curran?

*gaze darkens lustily* too.
Melissa (Ever So Mela)
I just realized the last 40% always saves these books for me.

I had the same problem with this one as I did with the previous Kate Daniels.
It's slow
And sadly, sometimes glacially slow, more towards the beginning with a crescendo in the middle. But thank the heavens this ending rocked millions over the last one.

I do have to say that if they had explained the world in the last book like they did here, I would've rated it a lot higher.

Kate, at least for me, just got better by the second. She's
Maria Snyder
Yes - I'm hooked on the Kate Daniels series. For now. Don't know how many books I'll read before I lose interest if I even do. I stuck with Ilona Andrews Edge series to the end (need more!) and enjoyed the spin-off novel of Gunmetal Magic with Kate's best friend so I'm thinking I'm in for the long haul. Good thing I have six novels left to read :).
Before I begin, I’m going to evoke my 13 year old alter ego…
Curran loves Kate, Curran loves Kate! Okay, so he didn’t say those exact three words, what he actually said was “As you wish” but he said it after reading The Princess Bride and everyone knows that is how Wesley told Buttercup he loved her. SQUEE!!!

Okay, now that I have gotten out of the way, this book and this series are so awesome! God, I still sound like a fan girl, but it doesn’t make what I say any less true. Look into the eyeballs
Buddy read with Armina, Eilonwy, and Asya.

Kate Daniels' occasional partner and shape-shifter Jim asks her to help him apprehend a mad arsonist. They got him, but a mysterious sniper kills the culprit right in front of their eyes. Kate starts looking for the guy and becomes tangled with a teen girl looking for her missing mom, bad-ass monsters from Celtic mythology coming to life, and magic flares which make shape-shifters struggle to keep their bestial part in check. Non-stop action ensures.

I fo
Carole (Carole's Random Life)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

This is a really hard review to write. I have been putting off writing this review for a month that is going to help me in any way. I absolutely LOVE this series and everything that the writing team of Ilona Andrews writes. I had some problems with the narration of this audiobook even though I have enjoyed this narrator on other works. I am rating this book based on the story and not the narration.

This is one of those series that
Stacia (the 2010 club)
He inhaled my scent, bent close, about to kiss me...
I just stood there like an idiot.
Curran smirked and whispered in my ear instead. "Psych."

I'm pretty sure that Kate and Curran are working on turning sexual tension into a sport. Watching two stubborn beings trying to coexist in the same room makes for an interesting dynamic.

Okay, so I might be eating my words just a little bit. But it's going to be a small meal, no larger than a snack. I'll nibble on two or three mini words, no longer than
Sh3lly (Not all those who wander are lost)

This was my second time reading this and I am absolutely keeping my original rating. FIVE STARS! I would add 50 stars if I could. It was way better the second time around! (And I can't often say that with books I've read more than once.)

It was kind of like reading it for the first time, I had forgotten so much. Like how much Kate and Curran's tension and chemistry SIZZLED. How did I miss this before. In this book, they are right about here:

LOL But there are so many stand-out scenes. Ilona Andrew
Tadiana ✩ Night Owl☽
Kate Daniels is my favorite kick-ass heroine. She's impertinent:
The vampire stared at me, his mouth slack as Ghastek assessed his options. I took a couple of forms from my desk, put them in the vampire's mouth, and pulled them up by their edges.

"What are you doing?" Ghastek asked.

"My hole puncher broke."

"You have no respect for the undead."
And she's quick and tough as nails:
"I tell you what, you put the maps right here on the bed. On the count of three, we each grab them. If you win, I tell you
I knew by page 2 that I would love this book. Here's why:

"Alright Jeremy. Give me the salamander and I won't cut your head off."

When I first started this series I was definitely holding myself back a little from letting myself love it. First of all I'd been traumatized by a past relationship with a series (Anita! Why!?). Secondly this series reminded me of the one that broke my heart. But not anymore!

I was so entertained while reading this book that my earlier annoyance at the whole magic vs
Rating: 2,75 stars (leaning towards a solid 3!)

'"Try not to die."
"I'll survive just so I can kill you."
"See you in the morning, then."'

Rating this book is seriously hard for me, because my feelings are quite mixed at the moment. See, I thought that Magic Burns started out better than the first one and ended even better. However, in between--and when looking at the book overall--I experienced less of the I-need-to-continue-reading-feeling than I did in the previous book. A bit odd, since I thou
Aug 11, 2011 Lora rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Magic Bites and other similar urban fantasy titles
In Magic Burns Kate is faced with a whole new challenge, and even though it sounds simple it turns out to be anything but; Kate is tasked with retrieving important maps stolen from the shapeshifter Pack of Atlanta.
Along the way Kate crosses paths with a seductive-but-evil guy who worships a Celtic goddess of three, gets strapped with a thirteen-year-old girl whom she must search for the possibly-dead mother of, meets a pack of kinky werehyenas, and once again she manages to antagonize the Beast
The Holy Terror
This was a good book but not perfect. I'd give it 3.5 stars.

I have a hard time with books that have a mystery that needs to be solved and then the character goes from place to place and from person to person following clues and trying to figure out what's going on. It seems like we're just following her as she goes to each strange new place meeting all kinds of new people that I no doubt will probably forget.

In the beginning I couldn't remember who a lot of the characters were and it still took
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
This was soo good!! This book was much better than the first and the first was already awesome!!
I LOVED it! I won't get into details...I have another one to read!

**************3/3/2014 UPDATE**************

1st re-read

After reading this book for the second time I'm ready to write a review without gashing on and on about how awesome it is.

Inner voice: Yeah, right... You'll use the word awesome at least 5 more times in your review.

Jo: Oh shut up, you idiotic know-it-all.

Sooooooooo, this book was awe
Rachel Carter
So sad but DNF'ing. I think this series has potential, but the audio book is too much of a drag for me. Also, I'm a bit of a romance girl and can only wait for so long. One moment of small tension every 200 pages (or however long it feels like) doesn't cut it for me. Not rating because I only got half-way through and that leaves a lot up in the air.

I might come back to this series at a later date, as actual books, but audio book I am out:(
Liz* Fashionably Late
"This was hell and I was its fury."

So, it was a nice day. Kate received a call from the Pack. Next think you know: BOOM, END OF DAYS.

This was definitely way better than book #1. Every little issue I had before vanished with Magic Burns. Kate opened up to us, there's so many things I got to learn about her. Under this Merc persona, badass and undisciplined, lays a guardian, a loyal friend, all fierceness when it comes to protect the ones she cares about. The world building is explained in much mo
For the first quarter of the book, I thought this was heading toward 3 stars. I liked it and it explained the world much better than Magic Bites, but there were more new characters and creatures when I'd barely managed to wrap my head around the ones already introduced. But then, but then, there was the soup and the please and the thank you and AH. And then Noelle sent me this gif for Curran:

...and well, I was walking around murmuring Curran all day.

Starbucks barista: May I have a name for this
Reread June 2015.

I enjoyed this better the second time around. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I read instead of did the audiobook. I love this series!!

Review for first read February 2014.

Four stars.

I've put off reviewing this for some time. I don't even know what to say or how to review it.

Contemplate photo: contemplate.jpg

This was my first ever audio book. I listened to it exclusively while driving to (and from sometimes) work. You can't take notes like that. I have difficulty with focusing on things at times
I somehow managed to read Book 1 and then Book 3 in this series so had to jump back to Book 2. And I am very glad I did. This was a very exciting book with lots of full on magic and heaps of fighting between various magical creatures. Kate is really coming into her full strength and there are some delightful scenes between her and Curran. It's amazing that everyone except her knows that they are made for each other! It was nice too to find out where Julie comes from. I already met her in Book 3 ...more
What just happened?

I’m so confused right, but in the best way possible. All I have to say is I tip my hat to all your people who swore the series gets better. It really does.

I love when a book can surprise me especially one that I didn’t expect much from. This doesn’t happen often, but when it does it’s absolutely the best.

A quick refresher

I read the first book in the series a few months ago, and was completely on the fence. I almost didn’t finish it, and by some miracle the book got better,
Jen (Red Hot Books)
The most appealing thing about any Kate Daniels book, is hands-down, Kate Daniels herself. She strong and smart, witty and irreverent. And it doesn’t look like she ever gets a moment’s peace. As the book begins, a few months have passed since the events of Magic Bites. Kate is working as a liaison between the mercenary guild and the Order of Merciful Aid. And the waves of magic in the world are growing more frequent and intense, indicating a flare is on the horizon.

While on a mission for the Pac
Sharon ✽ is an emotional book junkie ✽
**4-4.5 stars**

The best part of this book is all the great lines!!! I flew through most of the other parts searching for them. That doesn't mean that the rest isn't interesting because it is. I think the only bad part (for me) was all the descriptions of the locations ~ especially starting at Saiman's apartment and the coven!! I really got bogged down in all that! BUT I LOVED all the interactions between Kate and Curran....they were soooo funny!

The parts with Julie and Andrea were really heart
  • Curran; Magic Strikes Hot Tub Scene (Curran POV, #4)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • One Salt Sea (October Daye #5)
  • Night Blade (Colbana Files, #2)
  • Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, #3)
  • Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3)
  • Mercy Blade (Jane Yellowrock, #3)
  • Grave Dance (Alex Craft, #2)
  • Web of Lies (Elemental Assassin, #2)
  • Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, #3)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. author2sm“Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a be ...more
More about Ilona Andrews...

Kate Daniels (10 books)
  • Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1)
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4)
  • Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7)
  • Magic Shifts (Kate Daniels, #8)
  • Magic Binds (Kate Daniels, #9)
  • Untitled (Kate Daniels, #10)
Magic Bites (Kate Daniels, #1) Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3) Magic Bleeds (Kate Daniels, #4) Magic Slays (Kate Daniels, #5) Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)

“The vampire stared at me, his mouth slack as Ghastek assessed his options. I took a couple of forms from my desk, put them into the vamp's mouth, and pulled them up by their edges.
"What are you doing?" Ghastek asked.
"My hole puncher broke."
"You have no respect for the undead.”
“Not only will you sleep with me, but you will say 'please.'"
I stared at him, shocked.
The smile widened. "You will say 'please' before and 'thank you' after."
Nervous laughter bubbled up. "You've gone insane. All that peroxide in your hair finally did your brain in, Goldilocks.”