Start by marking “The Twins' Blanket” as Want to Read:
The Twins' Blanket

The Twins' Blanket

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  280 ratings  ·  78 reviews
One of School Library Journal’s Best Picture Books of 2011
These look-alike twins have always shared everything—their room, their toys, a crib, and, since the day they were born, a blanket. But as they grow into new beds, they need new blankets, too. Now they face a new dilemma: they don’t know how not to share.
Told from the perspective of two five-year-olds, The Twins’ Bla
Published August 16th 2011 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux

To ask other readers questions about The Twins' Blanket, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Twins' Blanket

I had mixed feelings about this one. On the one hand, I appreciated the honest portrayal of a sibling relationship and that the twins fought sometimes and wanted to have their own separate identities -- yet still were close and needed one another. The ending was very sweet. But, on the whole, I'm not sure I really enjoyed the book all that much. I did like how the mom (view spoiler)
Identical twin girls are just turning five, and having shared everything all their lives, both of them seek a little independence. When the blanket they have slept under is too small to cover both of them comfortably, their mother has them select material and makes two blankets, using part of the fabric from the old blanket. One chooses yellow fabric and one selects pink, but when the blankets are finished, and the girls lie in their own twin beds, both reach out to touch the other's hand for co ...more
Dec 19, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet tale about growing older and becoming more independent, along with the anxiety of separation from things that are comfortable and familiar.

The narrative is short and the illustrations are adorable. I loved seeing how the girls were still able to have a part of their past, while still embracing their 'grown up' future. We enjoyed reading this book together.

This story was selected as one of the books for the December 2012 - Warm Quilts and Soft Mittens reads at the Picture-Book C
Kristine Pratt
I haven't seen very many picture books about twins, and so it was a delight to come across this one. Twins are such a unique experience in growing up, and the idea of having to share everything is a difficult concept, especially when small. The solution for who gets the blanket that both girls have always shared is clever. But even moreso, is the way the twins look out for each other when it matters most. I liked this book.
Yoo Kyung Sung
Finally another contermporary book about Korean children came out. The color of Korea was not mixed with Japanese or Chinese colors/prints/patterns etc in this book which brought my childhood memory as well. This part, it is contrasting with the book like Goyangi Means Cat in which prints and colors are little bothersome-- beautiful but not quite culturally pseudo. Universal theme in twin sisters and their riverly and sibling friendship are delightful. I will keep my eye on Hyewon Yum who is sup ...more
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Two twin girls have shared everything all their lives. One of their favorite things, and one of the things they shared all their lives is a blanket. Now the girls are five and the blanket is too small for both of them. This poses a problem for the girls.

“But we are big girls now.
I’m already five.

I’m five, too. We’re twin sisters, remember, silly?
The blanket has gotten too small for both of us.”

Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Hyewon Yum did an excellent job of creating the voice for the twin girls and their voice is what makes this story works. I appreciated the subtle and more straightforward differences between the two girls, this is important for twins and other siblings close in age. However, I also found that having a piece of the old blanket passed on into the new blankets was a nice way to show that the twins will always be connected and share similarities in addition to their differences.
Shannon Nicole
Text to self:
I related to this book because I had items I had to share with my sister growing up. We had a Super Nintendo that we both wanted to play all the time. Although my mother wasn't able to get another gaming system for us to use, we had to learn how to share it. I enjoyed how the twins each got a new, different pattern for their new blanket, and how they learned to sleep in their own beds.

Text to text:
This book relates to "Sharing Time" by Elizabeth Verdick. This book gives toddler's wa
Alyson Long
The Twins’ Blanket by Hyewon Yum (Baker’s Dozen Book)

Plot Summary and Personal Response: This story is about two young twin girls that share and do absolutely everything together. They share toys, blankets, a bed, etc. Most often they fight over these things as well because there is always only one of each thing. Eventually, their mother decides that they are old enough to have their own blankets and makes them for their own beds. The girls realize at the end that they miss being with each other
Addie Lauver
Plot: The Twins Blanket is a very simple sweet story about the bond that twin girls share. They do not completely understand this bond at the beginning because they are focused on who is better and who is first and so on. By the end of the story, because they are now 5, they are too big to share their bed and blanket so their mom gets them twin beds because they are twins! Their mom also sews them new blankets when they go to bed that night they both feel sad and scared they reach out for each o ...more
Sniff. What a sweet, simple story about growing older and taking the first step from being independent from your sibling...sort of. :) I love the voice of a child as presented in this book.
Kelly Ketcham
Text to text connection- this story reminds me of another book on my bookshelf, Ling and Ting, since both books have twins as the maim characters

Remembering- what object did the girls share since they were babies?
Understanding- resell the story
Applying- how would you solve the twins' blanket problem?
Analyzing- what evidence can you find to show the twins' differences?
Evaluating- why was it better that the twins each got a brand new blanket?
Creating- how would you rewrite the selection from the m
The Library Lady
Not every child has a twin, but most kids can identify with having a beloved blanket or moving to a new bed. And they will all like this story.
These twin girls have always shared everything from their first day together. One of those has been their favorite blanket which they have now outgrown. The time has come for them each to have their own beds! But what about their favorite blanket? Mom has a great idea, new blankets for each with a piece of the old one included. Now that their personal choices will make their new blankets perfect everything seems golden. So why do they feel sad? Lovely look at how the special connection between t ...more
Reading Level: 2.1
Interest Level: K-3

School Library Journal’s Best Picture Books of 2011

A book about twin sister's and a dilemma they face when after sharing everything they receive beds and blankets of their very own. The story is told from the voice of the twins making the viewpoint and language used extremely relatable to younger readers. The bright colorful illustrations also really help to capture the books audience. This is not only a book for twins, but is great for any child that has exp
Megan Renner
Alex Sandiland
This book is about look-alike twins who share everything. They share toys, clothes and a room. They have also shared the same blanket since they were born. They are growing up so they no longer both fit underneath the same blanket, this becomes a problem. They both think they should have the blanket and they fight over it. Their mom finally decides they they should both have separate bed and she is going to make a new blanket for both of them. One decides to make her blanket out of yellow fabric ...more
I am a twin, so of course I found this book, illustrated with mixed media, really special. Growing up, twins often need to share things, and in this story, the 5-year-olds share a blanket. Mommy sews two new blankets when the girls are old enough to have twin beds, and while they find it hard to fall asleep at first, they are successful in the end!(K-3, with a mid-year 1st grade reading level).

Meets ALA 21st century standard 1.2.7: Display persistence by continuing to pursue information to gain
Grace Willits
Growing up as a non-twin, wishing and hoping that somehow my long lost twin would appear, I loved reading this book about two adorable twins. This book is about twin sisters, who once shared everything, have now outgrown the ability to share one blanket a night. They feel competitive towards one another during the process of creating two, new separate blankets to put on their new twin beds. Sibling competition is such an interesting thing. It seems as though everyone, twin or not, experiences th ...more
Kyra Calnan
“My Two Grandmothers” is the story of young Lily who has two very different grandmothers. Grammy lives in the country and has just about as many traditions as Bubbe who lives in the city. From holiday celebrations to day-today outings, snacks to meals and everything in between. Together, they give Lily a rich family background that she eventually wants to share between both Grandma’s! This story is a great compare-contrast read along for young readers. It uses lots of different descriptive words ...more
This is so great. I will have to buy a copy. I love the way it is written in the first person... twice. From each twin first person. And I love the perfect motherly logic of incorporating part of the baby blanket into two separate blankets. The colours work perfectly. The Ending is delightful. This is a 'coming of age' book. There are all sorts of comings of age. This is a 'going into a big bed' one.

The illos are divine.
I read this as a fun, light-hearted book with my reading buddy and we thought it was okay. It was about a set of twins that shared everything until.....they got older and realized they wanted to have their own things, especially their own blankets. So to make the book a bit more fun, my reading buddy and I read it as if I were one character and he were the other. We really got into character and he loved it!
Caitlan Jett
Awards:School Library Journal’s Best Picture Books of 2011
Reading Level: 2.1
Interest Level: K-3

A story told by a child for a child, a story that students with siblings not just a twin can connect to when it comes sharing their possessions and also respecting each others different choices in life.
This is a sweet story about twins who have always shared a bed and shared a blanket. Now they are getting bigger and their blanket just isn't big enough for both of them. The older sister (by 3 minutes) thinks it should be hers, but the younger sister disagrees. Mommy decides to make them each a blanket. One will be yellow with flowers. The other will be pink with birds and flowers (leading my two oldest to argue over which one was better).

A realistic portayal of both the small arguments that s
Lin Lin
I decided to use "The Twins' Blanket" for a unit on family as we learn about cultural universal concepts. Students enjoy reading about the special bondage between the twin sisters and relate well to the potential conflicts that might exist between them as well.
Allison Fortunato
I thought this story was very cute. It is your typical sibling rivalry and wanting to always get the attention from parents first. Even though the twins are mad at each other they miss each other when sleeping. I think overall the book was good.
Kristin Carlson
Sharing can be hard for students and especially when they have to share at home with a sibling. This book can be used to teach how to share and even have the same item just different colors. The younger that you start teaching sharing the more likely the child is going to want to share his or her toys. The children will see that sharing is fun and that they can trade toys when they get tired of the one that they have been playing with.
Bambini Travel
It is rare to come across the book about twins. I snatch up every one I discover to read to our rambunctious duo. Rarer yet is finding one that describes the unique relationship of twins so honestly and beautifully. Told from the perspective of two five year olds, Yum tackles the challenge of separating twins into their first twin beds. A twin herself, Yum perfectly understands the unusual situation of twins who share literally everything in their lives while trying to develop their independent ...more
Carrie Charley Brown
I love the back and forth between these twins and the way certain pictures add something special not always shown in the text.
  • Mine!
  • Tell Me the Day Backwards
  • Along a Long Road
  • Goyangi Means Cat
  • More Bears!
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • A New Year's Reunion: A Chinese Story
  • Look! A Book!
  • Over at the Castle
  • The Book That Eats People

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Hyewon Yum is the author and illustrator of several acclaimed books for children. She has received the Society of Illustrator's Founder's Award, the Ezra Jack Keats New Illustrator Award, an Honorable Mention for the Bologna Ragazzi Award, and the Golden Kite Award for her work. She lives in Brooklyn, New York.
More about Hyewon Yum...