Wings of Fear

Wings of Fear (Border Watch Series #1)

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Above the crystal-blue waters of North Queensland, Captain Morgan Pentland patrols the vast Australian coastline. When Customs Agent Rafe Daniels joins her crew, she is immediately suspicious. Why is he boarding her plane when she isn't there? And why is he asking so many questions? What Morgan doesn't know is that Rafe has her under surveillance. Critical information abou...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Hachette Australia (first published March 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Wings of Fear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wings of Fear

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
The coastline of Queensland stretches some 6973 km (or 4333 miles) and protecting it is a daunting prospect, particularly in the sparsely populated region of the far north which is vulnerable as a point for illegal entry to Australia. Coastal surveillance is a huge operation involving patrol by sea and air and Helene Young, a pilot herself, recognised it's unique potential as a setting for Wings of Fear.

In Wings of Fear, Captain Morgan Pentland is a pilot for the Border Watch fleet in far north...more
Sonyatchka
So often in romantic suspense the story only scratches the surface of the suspense aspect, glossing over the gritty parts in order to get to the romance. Helene Young has found just the right balance between romance and suspense in her story. This is a tricky genre to write, as often one aspect takes over from the other, and the story becomes difficult to believe. This one – well, I can’t think of anything negative to say! She made me fall in love with her characters, and that is so important in...more
Simone
Morgan Pentland is a pilot who patrols the coastline of northern Queensland. Rafe Daniels is a customs agent who joins her crew. On the trail of suspected terrorists, Morgan doesn’t realise that Rafe has her under surveillance, due to a leak in sensitive security information (that everybody assumes Morgan is responsible for). Then Morgan and Rafe are shot down in a terrifying mid-air attack and each realises they are both on the same side. However they are now in a race against time as terrorist...more
Leonie
I read this book as part of the AWWC 2013.

This book was a nice find for me. Helene Young has followed the old adage of writing what you know, and has done so very well.

Her obvious love for the far north of Queensland was conveyed beautifully in this book. Her female characters were interesting, strong, and well characterised, and I felt an affinity with Morgan from the beginning. I really enjoyed the dialogue between her characters - it was engaging and realistic. The changes in point of view w...more
Bree T
Captain Morgan Pentland works in far north Queensland, flying an aircraft as part of the border patrol team, tasked with keeping Australia’s vast borders secure. It’s a difficult job with so much coastline, especially far up north where there are sections that are uninhabited. When Customs Agent Rafe Daniels appears to join her crew for a mission, she is instantly suspicious and wary of him. What does he want? Why does what he says not match what he orders them to do? Morgan is even more disturb...more
Jill
Trouble is brewing in Far North Queensland, Australia. Information from an undercover operative has pointed the finger at JI, the Indonesian terrorist organisation, planning an attack on Australian soil. And someone is leaking information to the terrorists. Customs officer Rafe Daniels is sent into investigate. The main suspect is Captain Morgan Pentland, a pilot for Border Watch, the organisation protecting Australia's borders.

Author and pilot Helene Young has firsthand knowledge of aviation....more
Joanne
I was in a hurry when I listed this book and confused it with another till I read the synopsis later. Glad I realised the mix up. It deserves more than the 2 stars I originally gave it!

Border Watch is a great read - an action packed adventure thriller, with a strong female lead character and all the necessary ingredients of a really good story. Fantastic to read a good novel set in Australia, and especially in the north. Hope we see more of Helene Young's work.
Maggie
There is one word I choose to describe this novel, Heart.

This story is situated in North Queensland.
Morgan Pentland, a Senior pilot for Border Watch returns to work after a holiday, just after finding the body of a dead man on Trinity Beach where she lives. There is some unusual activity in the Gulf of Carpentaria and Custom Agent Rafe Daniels is the mission commander. There is some hostility going on between these two and Morgan is non too happy to be under his command. Problems with the aircra...more
Nas Dean
WINGS OF FEAR previously published as BORDER WATCH is by author Helen Young.

Captain Morgan Pentland is unaware that customs official Rafe Daniels has her under surveillance. He is her mission commander and she follows his orders. Yet Rafe is sure that someone is leaking information to the terrorists.

Could it be Morgan? His instincts are screaming a resounding no, yet the evidence points to her.

While following Rafe’s orders, Morgan’s airplane was shot in the sky. And she had to crash land the a...more
Helen McKenna
Captain Morgan Pentland hasn’t had an easy life, but she has worked hard to create a great career for herself as a pilot patrolling the vast Queensland coastline. Immediately curious when customs agent Rafe Daniels joins her crew, she soon realises there is more to him than meets the eye. What Morgan doesn’t realise is that Rafe has her under surveillance as a suspected leak in a terrorist plot. It’s only when their plane is shot down that they realise they have limited time to prevent an attack...more
Lauren Murphy
This review was first posted @ The Australian Bookshelf

I loved this book! Wings of Fear was my introduction to Suspense Romance and I must say I am now hooked! I love trying a new genre and being pleasantly surprised. What’s more exciting is that it is by an Australian author, Helene Young.

Captain Morgan Pentland patrols the coastline of North Queensland Australia and leads a team who are like her family, co-pilot Lauren
and IT genius Gavin. Customs Agent Rafe Daniels joins her crew and Morgan...more
Carol C
Wings of Fear, formerly known as Border Watch (my preferred title and jacket), had me flying with the characters through through this tension packed story. The far north QLd setting felt real - the heat, humidity and balmy tropics dripped through the pages. I knew the romantic outcome of this story from the start but other aspects of mystery and danger kept me reading to find out who was behind the security leaks and how would the story unfold next. What danger was around the corner for Morgan -...more
Laura (Kyahgirl)
4/5; 4 stars; A-

This is my first book by this Australian author. I really enjoyed it. I particularly liked the authentic feel to the aviation aspects of the story. The mystery was well done as was the romance.
I enjoyed reading a story situated in Australia. The author's firsthand knowledge of the wilds or Northern Australia as well as the issues facing customs and law enforcements when dealing with a vast, unpopulated region, reminded me very much of some of Canada's issues.
Books from Australi...more
Sandra O'Grady
I love to try new Australian authors and this one didn't let me down. A great suspense story with plenty of action, sexual tension and well developed characters.Helene's background in planes shows in the details of this story. The plot jump started, but I got to know the characters gradually and developed an affinity for them, so I cared whether or not there was a happy ending.
Chloe
A fantastic Aussie (QLD at that!!) romantic suspense style of story. It's obvious to see the author's love for far north Queensland - the vast beautiful countryside where Morgan lives and works to patrol the borders and help keep the country safe.

Fantastic read - I went and got the second book Shattered Sky straight away!
Phrynne
A fairly interesting story., only a little far fetched. If I was a fan of the romance genre I would probably have given it more stars. The main characters were likeable and I wanted them to get together but the whole thing was a bit cliched - first they hate each other, then they fall in love, then something happens which rips them apart and then at the last minute - but no spoilers!
Maxine

I would have given this book 3 1/2 stars if that was an option as it really isn't quite four stars. It's a good read - however I did find it dragged a bit towards the end. I liked the characters and the steady build of the relationship between Morgan and Rafe. It is a beach read that is not too taxing. It was entertaining enough and I don't regret the time I spent reading it.
Amanda
What a fantastic read! I cant believe I didn't find this book sooner, it has shot straight to the top of my favourites list! This story had a bit of everything- action, mystery, suspense, romance and the setting made me feel like I was really in far north Queensland,i just could not put it down. I have to get started on the next one right now!
Jenni Boyd
For me personally it was not an edge of the seat thriller, but a captivating enough story all the same with an even balance of mystery and romance.
Juliet Madison
Well done Helene, this book has everything: romance, friendship, mystery, intrigue, suspense, & action. Such a well-crafted and detailed plot which is enriched by strong, believable characters and just the right amount of emotion and romance. The writing is also superb!
Maggie
Jan 31, 2011 Maggie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maggie by: Brenda
This book improved as it went along. Wasnt too sure at first, but by the end I found I was quite interested to know what would happen. Not too keen on romances - it always seems so obvious as to who will end up with whom - so that aspect of the story didnt appeal.
Lydia
I enjoyed this book. It's the first one I've read of Helene's and will be going onto the next one, once I've brought it. I loved the characters and couldn't put the book down. But had to because of the kiddos :P
Natalie
I enjoyed reading a romantic suspense set in Australia. At times I had to reread to follow references to government agencies and flight terminology. I'd definitely read another by same author.
Keziah
Terrific romantic suspense set in North Queensland. I really liked the terrorism angle, done in a very topical way. Helene wound a range of themes together in a clever way.
Ruth
Sharron Shimbel
Called "Border Watch" in my edition from the library. A quick, easy read. Light mystery, light romance, the perfect book when I'm also reading a much weightier novel!
Helen
This is such a great read Helene made me feel as if I was going through all of this with the hero and heroine and I loved the interaction between the characters.

Janine
Enjoyed this book especially reading about far North Queensland. My copy is titled Border Watch so not sure why it has changed but an easy book to read.
Caroline
Not a relax-before-bed kind of book. I had to finish it last night so I could breathe again!
Love all the local details, too.
  • As Darkness Falls (Dungirri, #1)
  • The Girl in the Hard Hat
  • Zoe's Muster
  • Man Drought
  • Jillaroo (Jillaroo #1)
  • Matilda Is Missing
  • Dark Horse
  • Frantic (Detective Ella Marconi #1)
  • The Mothers' Group
  • Beneath Outback Skies
  • Maralinga
  • The French Promise
  • Fractured
  • In Safe Arms
Helene Young lives aboard a catamaran moored near the Great Barrier Reef in the Coral Sea. She shares her sailing adventures with her husband and their dog, Zeus.

Her work as a senior captain with a major regional airline takes her all over Australia and she draws inspiration for her stories from the communities she visits.

"I write romantic suspense with feisty, confident heroines many of whom (...more
More about Helene Young...
Half Moon Bay Shattered Sky Burning Lies Safe Harbour The Life and Times of Chester Lewis