Start by marking “Collect Raindrops: The Seasons Gathered” as Want to Read:
Collect Raindrops: The Seasons Gathered

Collect Raindrops: The Seasons Gathered

4.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  147 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Armed with an X-acto knife, artist Nikki McClure painstakingly cuts out her images from a single sheet of black paper and creates a bold language that translates the complex poetry of motherhood, nature and activism into a simple and endearing picture. The nature of her work inherently draws the eye inwards, as each element has to be connected to the one next to it in some ...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Harry N. Abrams (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Collect Raindrops, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collect Raindrops

Megan
Aug 21, 2007 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: soulfood
Nikki's art has a clear agenda, but thankfully its an agenda I can get behind.
Penniphurr
Jul 13, 2007 Penniphurr marked it as to-read
This just went across my desk for I-level processing. One of the OCLC records says "created by black paper and knife, with color and text added later" in the 520 field.
It'll be in over-sized but I was caught by the simple beauty of image which at the same time must have been excruciatingly difficult to create.
I can't wait to have the time to sit down and savor this one!
Laura Belle
Nov 22, 2008 Laura Belle rated it it was amazing
More of a visual dictionary of Nikki McClure's gift. I saw this at a shop below my work and I couldn't help myself. I have purchased a few of Nikki's calendars in the past and kept every page for one art project or another. The combination of the beautiful graphic images and inspirational words makes me want more! Luckily she is keeping it coming.
Jonas

Collect Raindrops: the seasons gathered, is a collection of cut-paper art by Washington graphic artist Nikki McClure. The collection evolved out of calendar projects and the illustrations are arranged into four seasons each preceded by an essay alive with the sounds, smells and other sensory associations of the season. As a poet I felt that each page read like a poem, a short but vivid tribute to the natural surroundings out of which McClure takes her inspiration. I don’t have a coffee table oth
Alice
Sep 07, 2009 Alice rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
I learned of Nikki McClure from her collaboration as illustrator for Cynthia Rylant's recent picture book, All in a Day (a nourishing, beautiful book for all ages).

I was smitten and immediately went foraging in the library catalog to find if there might be something else illustrated by Nikki. I was rewarded with this collection taken from her calendars (www.buyolympia.com) and arranged seasonally with Nikki's own evocative prose for introduction.

You can also 'meet' her via YouTube...just put in
jess
Oct 20, 2010 jess rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010, ladyish
Nikki McClure's art is *literally* everywhere in Olympia, so you would think I'd be over it by now. I mean, it's like a full immersion experience but I kind of like it. Anyway, SO, here's a giant oversized collection of some of Nikki McClure's treasured papercut pictures from the last 10 years or so of her calendars, organized by season . It's a nice opportunity to revisit her work if you've watched the pictures pass by month by month, and a fantastic collection if you're experiencing her work f ...more
Mark
Mar 18, 2014 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
I guess that if I buy this I can then throw all the old calendars of her's that I've been holding onto.
Beverly
Jan 01, 2009 Beverly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who live in Olympia, Mom
These are beautiful illustrations. After awhile, I started to feel preached-to by captions like "eat more kale" and "create your own economy." I think there might be a sense of humor in some of it though, so it's cool. I find it uplifting and even appreciate the typography. But then, I'm very open to this sort of thing and love McClure's art. I can see some people reading this and wanting to gouge their eyes out even people who are in line with the whole everyday revolution thing. I think I'll g ...more
The
Jun 26, 2014 The rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it
Nice.
Amy
Jun 03, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baby-kid-lit
Stunning--if you haven't got McClure's calendars, this is a lovely way to catch up. It's not the writing here that's the thing but the papercuttings, which reflect the exacting process by which they have arrived and yet never seem pre-meditated.

The book is somewhere between keep-it-pristine-on-your-desk-heirloom and let-the-little-one-thumb-through-it-at-will; both elegant and organic, the images are rebellious, spirited, unexpected and always wholly germane.
Jamie
Dec 16, 2008 Jamie rated it it was amazing
Jess introduced me to Nikki McClure with a gift--the *First 1000 Days Baby Journal* The journal is so intimate, so sweet, so inviting. I've been taken with McClure ever since.

This book is beautiful and hard to capture with words.

I want McClure's work all over my house. And when he's older and can tell me stories, I'd love to have Max look at the images in this book and read it to me.
Rae
Jan 29, 2009 Rae rated it it was amazing
Nikki McClure is a genius of image. I bought his book for almost everyone I know this year. It is constantly open in my house. Every page is meaningful, and aching, and complete, and the introductions she writes for each season are wonderful reads when you mean to clear your mind and return to a place of stillness for a little while.
B
Mar 26, 2011 B rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, she-s-crafty
so beautiful.
buy-it-to-cut-it-up-and-hang-it-on-the-wall beautiful.
which is exactly what i'm going to do when baby girl has her own room someday.
or, when i have my very own studio.
or both.
hmmm.
two copies needed.
(now, why isn't my husband on goodreads so I can drop some birthday hints??)
Bernadette
Dec 04, 2007 Bernadette rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book for my sister who is a new mother and living in a place she does not get to experience the seasons. The images are so strikingly simple and beautiful as is the message about slowing down and appreciating all the seasons. Beautiful book.
Angie
Feb 24, 2009 Angie added it
One of my favorite artists from the Northwest...
Olympia, WA to be exact. Her work is amazing!!!
She takes pieces of black paper & cuts out these exquisite images with such fine detail & then overlays them on light colored paper.
Meg
Feb 03, 2008 Meg rated it it was amazing
A lovely collection of Nikki McClure's art. Organized by seasons, this book is a wonderful piece to pull off your shelves and marvel through every now and again.
Ben
Jun 28, 2008 Ben rated it it was amazing
Shelves: with-my-daughter
We have some of the artwork as posters hanging around our house. My daughter appears to enjoy these as much as I do.
Barrie
Aug 04, 2009 Barrie rated it really liked it
very pretty illustrations. not really a book, but some real nice designs and thoughts to flip through.
Megan K
Jun 23, 2008 Megan K rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely beautiful. It's meant for adults but I love love love to give it to children.
Steph Schroeder
Jan 31, 2008 Steph Schroeder rated it it was amazing
okay--not a read, but an incredible compilation of seasonal art by a favorite artist of mine.
puck
Aug 28, 2007 puck rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who like things that are wonderful.
Shelves: goodthings
this is my new favorite book. i love nikki mcclure. i can't help it. it won't stop.
Amy
Mar 12, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing
I love Nikki McClure's simple,yet evocative art
Jan 28, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing
A Christmas present that I adore.
Conniejoneso
Jul 09, 2009 Conniejoneso rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-books
Beautiful!
A pretty fast read...ha ha
Mrs. Gibbs
May 14, 2012 Mrs. Gibbs rated it it was amazing
Nikki McClure is my favorite.
Susan
Mar 16, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Like a grown-up picture book. Lovely.
Rachel
Mar 18, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
gorgeous!
Lana
Lana added it
Jul 23, 2016
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
  • Water Sings Blue: Ocean Poems
  • The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter's Wonder
  • A Leaf Can Be...
  • Invincible Summer: An Anthology
  • A Strange Place to Call Home: The World's Most Dangerous Habitats & the Animals That Call Them Home
  • Eye to Eye: How Animals See The World
  • If Rocks Could Sing: A Discovered Alphabet
  • Picture a Tree
  • Lonely Heart: The Art of Tara McPherson
  • Nest
Nikki McClure of Olympia, Washington is known for her painstakingly intricate and beautiful paper cuts. Armed with an X-acto knife, she cuts out her images from a single sheet of paper and creates a bold language that translates the complex poetry of motherhood, nature, and activism into a simple and endearing picture.

Nikki McClure is a self-taught artist who has been making paper-cuts since 1996
More about Nikki McClure...