The School for Brides (School for Brides, #1)

The School for Brides (School for Brides #1)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  276 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Cheryl Ann Smith debuts a sensual new series starring a beautiful spinster who rescues ladies of the night from lonely fates. But then the tables are turned as night brings a surprise she never imagined—and a proposition she can't refuse...

Miss Eva Black spent her life concealing her mother's past as a courtesan. Now a spinster, her beauty hidden away under a dour disguis...more
Mass Market Paperback, 284 pages
Published April 5th 2011 by Berkley Sensation

The Pleasure Palace by Kate EmersonSomewhere in France by Jennifer RobsonSapphire Blue by Kerstin GierIndia Black and the Widow of Windsor by Carol K. CarrThe Flower Reader by Elizabeth Loupas
Beautiful in Blue
49th out of 202 books — 58 voters
Goddess Of The Hunt - Pelajaran Cinta Yang Tak Terlupakan by Tessa DareIrrepressible You by Georgina PenneyUnforgettable You by Georgina PenneyThe Madness of Lord Ian Mackenzie by Jennifer AshleyHeaven, Texas - Benci Tapi Rindu by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Great Love Scenes in Romance Novels
46th out of 66 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Catherine
***Warning***
This review contains spoilers.

I really liked the very beginning of this book. We learned about Eva’s school, designed to help mistresses find someone to marry after they had grown tired of the life or become a bit long in the tooth. That sounds pretty hokey and Disney-ish, but I thought it was presented well. The mistresses were told flat out that the marriages would not be guaranteed love matches and that there would be no matches with the nobility offered up. They needed to keep t...more
Netha
hal pertama yg membuatku tertarik pengen baca nih buku adl covernya yg menarik
baju yg dipake ceweq di cover bagus banget.....
ternyata begitu ku baca ceritanya pun bagus kok & sangat cepat dibaca

yg terpenting bahasanya tidak rumit, gaya berceritanya pun tidak berbelit2.
karakter2 tokohnya pun kuat bahkan tokoh ceweqnya pun tidak lemah & tertindas begitu saja.

becerita ttg miss eva black, yg membuka sekolah bagi para mantan courtesan untuk dapat belajar menjadi seorang lady & mendapat su...more
Pixelfish
Naima
I read and I read and I read but I could not finish this book. The hero, Nicholas, introduced himself to the novel by demanding the return of his "property" - his former courtesan - who left him. On and on and on he ranted about how he wanted his property back. So upset was he that he had to a) take a break from courting the woman he wanted to wed and b) punish Eva Black, the heroine who runs a matchmaking/finishing school for courtesans who want husbands. Fortunately for him, Eva is smitten by...more
Nan
I bought this book largely because the author was in the store doing a signing while I was there. I thought the premise sounded fun, and I decided to give the book a shot. The fact that it had won a RITA for best debut novel helped, too.

Overall, this was a fun, light read. It took a while for me to get into it, as the male lead was extremely irritating as the book opened.

The story is this: Eva, the daughter of a courtesan, runs a school teaching courtesans how to properly behave so that they can...more
Lisa
Miss Eva Black has worked hard to conceal her mothers past life as a courtesan and it has led her to open a school for courtesans who want to give up that lifestyle and settle down and be married. Eva keeps her life, personal and professional, very quiet and is quite surprised one stormy night to have an angry duke appear on her doorstep. Nicholas, Duke of Stanfield, is furious with this plain looking spinster for "stealing" his mistress and he wants her back, after all....he "owns" her. Needles...more
Bookaholics
The School for Brides by Cheryl Ann Smith
Historical Romance – April 5th, 2011
3 1/2 stars

To the outside world, Miss Eva Black is a mousy spinster who seeks to aid former courtesans/mistresses gain respectability and a secure future. But she had a double identity, as Evangeline Winfield. Who is a beautiful respectable young lady who lives with her ailing mother.

Eva is content with her two worlds and was resigned to a lonely existence. For she knew that no gently bred man would want to marry the i...more
Book Binge Blog
I'm not a fan of revenge plots but the premise in the School for Brides intrigued me so I thought I'd give it a try.

Evangeline Winfield is a woman with secrets. Her alias is Miss Eva Black, a dowdy spinster who runs a school for mistresses. She teaches them proper etiquette, polite conversation, how to dress respectably, and so on, in order to find a good husband. Evangeline Winfield, her real self, was forced through necessity to create Miss Black. Eva is responsible for her and her mother. Her...more
Christine Morehouse
A smashingly entertaining read that captivates readers the moment you hold THE SCHOOL OF BRIDES by Penguin Groups Regency debut romance author Cheryl Ann Smith. Released April 2010 to rave accolades Smith’s imagery stirs the emotional heart strings in first release in her a School for Brides Romance.

Growing up as the bastard but beloved child of England’s premier courtesan beauty Eva knows the heart ache it causes. She knows first hand what a courtesan gives up just for the protection and roof o...more
Christina
Hmmmm....what to say.....I have no idea why I liked this book because there were so many things NOT to like LoL. It really makes no sense. I liked Eva. She has difficult circumstances & even though she doesn't really have a moral problem with courtesans, she does realize society's view on them. Nicholas was eh. I really, really did NOT like him at first & even when he began to be likable I just couldn't shake how he was at the beginning of the story. He viewed his mistress as property, w...more
Cecilia
This is definitely not working for me. The characterization seems forced so that it can fit in with a plot premise that I was willing to go along with, but let's face it, is not distinguished by a high degree of realism. To be blunt, the plot premise is rather silly.

However, I could live with that, if the characters had any appeal. They do not. The "hero" is fairly psycho, trying to destroy a woman because she helped his mistress attain a happy and respectable life. The heroine, who is obsessiv...more
Rie_dominique
setelah beberapa minggu jenuh membaca, buku ini membuatku segar kembali :)

yang bikin gemes dibuku ini bukan Nicholas, sang duke yang arogan, ini sih biasa. tapi Miss Evangeline Winfield yang tiap deketan ama si duke bilang bencilah, dia jadi victim lah, tapi tiap habis dicium Nicholas malah dia yang jadi agresif. halah...halah..halah..
nurmawati

gw bacanya karen rekomendasi si netha dan krn netha juga pinter nulis ripiu...jadi gw gak nulis ripiu lagi ya....
kalo ada yang mau baca..silahkan intip ripiu si netha di : http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

jangan lupa klik "like' ya after baca ripiu nya...

buku ini dijamin bagus sekali ^^
May
Amazing *goes and add Cheryl other books to read*

------------------------------------------------------------------

When I reached 35% of the book I found out that the main story had already happened and I thought that the rest of the book will be disappointment but it wasn't it was so so good :)
Eli Yanti
love... love.. this book ;)

Finally finish reading this book, love it ;)

To be honest, in ealier stories, i want to strangle nicholas for what he did to eva, fortunately, he change and make a good and lovely thing so i change too and feeling adore with him =)

cerita yang disajikan oleh cheryl dibuku ini sedikit berbeda dari buku-buku HR lainnya.

kisah diawali tentang eva black, yg terlahir dr seorang lady yang berprofesi sbg courtesan (krn org tuanya miskin dan tdk ada yg menjadi walinya) dan seora...more
Rose May
Note: This review, and all my reviews, comes from my blog - Romantic Rose's Bookshelf (http://romantic-rosesblog.blogspot.com)

Book 1 in the School for Courtesans Series

First of all, a great cast of supporting characters. Secondly, His Grace could’ve been really annoying. In fact, he tried really hard to be really annoying. Sometimes he succeeded – like with his overly possessive, anger-management-issues behavior that occasionally flared up. His desire for revenge I thought was actually fairly r...more
Aly is so frigging bored
This was the 2nd book where drama-llama had an important role, they were even one after the other. When reading historicals there is the expectation of suspending disbelief, but with this book… let’s just say that my suspending wasn’t enough.

After reading the title you start asking yourself what this could be about: young debutants maybe? Well, it couldn’t be more beside the truth. The story is about a spinster daughter of one of the most renowned courtesans teaching them about how to become res...more
April
(RATING:4.5)THE SCHOOL FOR BRIDES by Cheryl Ann Smith is an interesting historical romance set in Regency England. It is well written with depth and detail.The characters are charming,witty,demanding,strong willed,feisty,sexy and all around a great cast that will keep you on your toes from beginning to end. Eva Black has spent her life concealing her mother's past as a courtesan and her father's secret.He fathered a bastard child twenty some years ago. Eva disguises herself,does not go to balls...more
Jul 27, 2011 Sarah rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
Tanya
The writing for this was good, but the characters were pretty bad. Eva was inconsistent - she didn't want to become like her mother, but kept jumping at the chance to do so. Nicolas was an asshole. I guess he improved, at least toward Eva, but he didn't change his mind towards women as a whole. The character development in this was just rather flawed. Don't get me wrong, I like bad alpha hero who's a jerk, but Ms. Smith just didn't pull it off. If you want a great example of that kind of hero, r...more
Diana
An interesting premise that had lots of promise, but instead of focusing on character development, quickly turned into a game of secrets. Towards the end, I found all of the unraveling secrets to be much, and I didn't care for hero too much. A common new author mistake, add more plot points and hope the book stays interesting instead of developing well thought out character arcs, but I don't mind so much. At least this book had a different premise than most of the others that I've read.
I wanted to like this book, but I couldn't finish it. I was willing to give the hero some time to justify his "owning" perception of former mistress (and why he couldn't just get a new one if any old lady will do): if he ended up justifying it, the justification was well after I gave up on the book. Also, the former courtesans bothered me. While I believe some of them would've been ditzes, not every aristocrat in London would be willing to put up with a dumb lay.
Brittany
I believe I am as confused as some of the others that have read this book. I have no idea why I liked this book. I really hated Nicholas but he grew on me by the end. I did not like Eva either for awhile for giving in so easily in the beginning and then turning all stubborn at the the end. There were many things that I did not like but yet i could not put the book down. I am looking forward to seeing what the author is going to throw at us next.
Sharyn
Picked this book up at a resale shop and enjoyed it. Will look for the next in the series. A very different heroine, a bastard daughter of a famous courtesan, who has set out to save other mistresses and find them husbands. Very interesting concept and the writing is OK, but the villian/hero is set on revenge, and I really didn't like him in the beginning, but he grew on me. A quick, fun read.
Michele Bolay
2.5 stars. What a disappointment. LOVED the premise, and the writing style overall was okay, but Nicholas (the hero) is a complete bully and disrespectful toward even the heroine (Eva), and Eva inexplicably gives in to his advances (e.g. pressure) all too quickly and easily. Nothing wrong with an alpha hero, but Nicholas is a jerk without redemption.
MB
Liz Stevens
I didn't like Nicholas at first, and he pulls the jackhole card a couple of times, but he becomes less of one as you go along. The courtesans are adorable! Everything gets tied up rather quickly (that's almost the norm). Overall a nice read, if you're not too exacting, esp as this was her first.
Ellen
I really liked this story but I did feel Nicholas was a bit of jerk in the early chapters, but he didn't ever really apologise or recognise the wrongness of his actions. He just randomly stopped being a a**wipe and started being a young, rich, charming, intelligent Duke.
Dcpre5
I love books when the two main charactors have every common sense reason to hate each other but fall in love anyways. They can't help themselves! I don't know about some of these other reviewers....were they reading the same book? I loved it.
  • Secrets of a Proper Countess
  • Forever and a Day (The Rumor, #1)
  • Heiress in Love (Ministry of Marriage, #1)
  • Bride for a Night
  • The Sins of Viscount Sutherland (Lords of Sheffield Square, #1)
  • Invitation to Ruin (Invitation To #1)
  • A Marquis to Marry (The Rogues' Dynasty #2)
  • Romancing the Countess (Romancing, #1)
  • A Secret in Her Kiss
  • Miss Hillary Schools a Scoundrel (Beau Monde, #1)
  • A Study in Seduction (Daring Hearts, #1)
  • A Lady Never Lies (Affairs by Moonlight, #1)
  • Flawless (The Christies, #1)
  • A Tale of Two Lovers (The Writing Girls, #2)
  • Season for Temptation (Holiday Pleasures, #1)
  • Sweet Enemy (Veiled Seduction, #1)
  • Touch of a Thief (Touch of Seduction, #1)
  • Never a Gentleman (The Drake's Rakes, #2)
A fan of historical romance fiction, author Cheryl Ann Smith combines a love of history and all things English to create stories that link both passions.

She lives in Michigan with her family, two cats and a very hairy dog. She enjoys outdoor adventures and traveling, when she has the time, and hopes to make her first visit to England in the very near future.
More about Cheryl Ann Smith...
The Accidental Courtesan (School for Brides, #2) A Convenient Bride (School for Brides, #4) The Scarlet Bride (School for Brides, #3) The Wife He Always Wanted (School for Brides, #5) The Bride Who Fell In Love With Her Husband (School for Brides, #2.5)