Start by marking “The Last Single Woman in America” as Want to Read:
The Last Single Woman in America

The Last Single Woman in America

3.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  226 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
A ?sassy? ("USA Today"), ?funny, fast-talking? ("New York Daily News") ?great read? ("People") that unfolds like a conversation with your bawdy best friend over a glass?or a bottle?of wine
Whether she's being greeted by the news that her brother has thrown her underwear off a Mardi Gras float, desperately trying to kick Dave Matthews out of her car before he discovers tha
Published January 31st 2008 by Plume Books

To ask other readers questions about The Last Single Woman in America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Single Woman in America

Jeanne
Aug 19, 2009 Jeanne rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeanne by: EW
I put this collection of essays on my to-read list based upon a favorable review in EW. Never again!

Blurbs on the back cover include "rib-tickling" and "outrageously funny." Not so much. Not funny at all. And definitely not well written. The essays are not focused, not tightly written, and not humorous at all.

And who is this author? Clearly some Hollywood idiot. Why would anyone publish this garbage?
Jul 06, 2009 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
"The funniest essayist since David Sedaris" (as touted on the booksleeve) this woman is not. Disjointed, rambling, name-dropping and unfunny would be my description. So bad that I gave up after 3 essays and returned the book to the library.
Joy
Jul 10, 2014 Joy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
I just couldn't get into this book. I read about 4 chapters & stopped...the main character is whiny & I felt myself getting more and more annoyed as I read. I just didn't care about her or the other characters.
Wunderdrugged
This book is a collection of essays, I've been picking up and putting down for a couple of weeks now. I wasn't all that into it in the beginning, but by about halfway through I started to enjoy. I liked Guidry's writing, but sometimes it felt like she was trying a little too hard to be entertaining - aiming for the Chelsea Handler level of bawdy humour but not quite reaching it. But I have to say, as a single woman who often feels like the last of a dying breed, I could really identify with her ...more
Kellie
May 07, 2009 Kellie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Cindy Guidry is a single woman in her forties living in Los Angeles. The people in her life insist on reacting to her lack of husband and children as though it were a catastrophe. She begins writing a series of personal essays after losing her job as a Hollywood studio executive. She finds herself questioning her choices, her motives, and her identity. The essays span several years, detailing failed relationships and other fiascos. Her life is populated with bizarre personalities—her bleak Canad ...more
Katie
May 22, 2011 Katie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another unconventional book. It's a collection of essays and although some parts repeat itself, because it's all by one author, it doesn't read as a linear story. I liked the majority of the essays and most were pretty funny, but I'm not a huge fan of essay collections although if you didn't know it was set up that way, you might not be sure that that's what it was. I could definitely see this book being made into a chick flick type of movie, it's set up nicely for that. It's a fun beach ...more
Shelby Lamb
Jan 06, 2016 Shelby Lamb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and didn't want it to end. It is revealing, and dazzling, with funny soapy moments, and family drama that will make you laugh out loud. I enjoyed her series of dates. Cindy's voice is crisp and chatty but not overwhelming. She slams down punch lines like a pro. You will relate to her struggle (well at least I know I do) and grow to love her and her family.
Angela
Apr 14, 2015 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really wanted to like this book but it was just okay. One or two of the essays I really enjoyed but many of them fell flat. I was like hearing this big wind up for a joke without the punchline. Her observations and musings on Los Angeles are accurate and funny. I also liked her friends Alice and James. The essays that featured them were always much more interesting.
Deborah
Oct 19, 2015 Deborah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quit-reading
I only read up to page 120, and I probably skipped pages to get that far. Why do so many authors think we want to read about their sex lives?
Scott
Apr 19, 2008 Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a terrific book from a newly published author. Cindy Guidry tells great stories about her life, family and friends. Her stories have been optioned for HBO and I understand that she just finished the script for the pilot. I hope that it will become their new Sex and the City.

These stories, especially the family ones, remind me greatly of David Sedaris. They are funny and irreverant. I am glad that my mother went to hear Cindy speak in Houston and then called to tell me about it.

This book is
Marjanne
This didn't end up being what I expected, but it was pretty good. I thought it would be more funny stories and ridiculous opinions, etc. However, it was more about the author trying to figure herself out, especially when it comes to men and relationships. I feel like the author had a lot of good insights, about others and herself. It was especially nice to read her thoughts on being more conservative about sex, love, and what marriage is/means. It was nice that it wasn't so serious all the time ...more
Mary
Aug 17, 2009 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It wasn't rock-my-world good, but it's another book of essays by a single woman trying to figure out what's wrong with her that she's single at 40 kind of book. I find that this is a genre that, while I can relate to it, frustrates me. Maybe because I can relate to it. These women come off completely unlikeable. Characters who are supposed to be quirky and charming just aren't, and there seems to be no other development--- no coming to terms with life on your own, which I find frustrating.
Tiffany
Mar 09, 2009 Tiffany rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Tiffany by: EW Grade A-
Shelves: ew-picks
This is a collection of essays that I found pretty charming, though sometimes they were a little long and self-serving. If I wrote a book, I would probably start like this with just a collection of my random experiences, so I enjoyed the format. I thought some of the characters couldn't possibly be real people, but I think I know some people that others wouldn't believe actually exist, so there is that.

I'm not sure if it deserved the A- grade, but it was an enjoyable, relaxing read.
May 27, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Kind of "Sex and the City" crossed with Hollywood, only Guidry is nowhere NEAR as good a writer as Candace Bushnell! I did finish it (still O.K. vacation reading), and I liked one quotation: "Never put yourself down. Someone else is already doing it for you." I also liked the idea of telling everyone you're five years older than you really are, in order to have people praise you for your young looks. I'm not about to do it, but it amused me in the Hollywood context.
Angelique
I thought I'd enjoy this book more than I did... While there were stories that made me laugh... and a couple which made me cry, the ending was a bit of a let-down. This will sound horrible, but she finds the love of her life and the end leads you to believe that they "live happily ever after." WHAT? I read 200 pages of drek to get here? I guess I would've liked it more had she ended up alone and miserable. Schadenfreude anyone???
Lori Ann
May 05, 2009 Lori Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This went along entertainingly enough for the first 7/8ths of the book. The voice is what I'm learning to identify with my age group...smart-alecky, and sad to say, not terribly original. However, the last 1/8th was a disaster--she starts writing about what it's like to be in love, and the writing and thinking is so disjointed and actually disoriented that I was embarassed for her. I cringed and skimmed my way through the end.
Jean
Jun 06, 2008 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this woman writes exactly how my brain functions...every small detail or thought can become a whole new story line or drama. it's pretty funny actually. probably...i can relate to a lot of things she's dealing with in the book. has made me laugh quite often. i recommend it for women who just want to read something light hearted.
Chase
May 25, 2008 Chase rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun read of a sarcastic, witty single women's thoughts on life and single-living in L.A. Her blunt relationships with men (plenty open talk about sex) and hilarious musings about her family relationships abound. Sort of a David Sedaris-type book. The author is from New Orleans which for me is another plus.
Jean Oram
This one started off sounding like a real life chick lit novel. It was hilarious and unbelievable. It started off strong, but then sort of drifted off a bit. There are some interesting and poignant parts and some parts that will make you laugh, but it lacked a consistency to keep me in the game.
Alex
Oct 09, 2008 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: girly-books
I absolutely adored this book! I cannot remember the last time I was able to relate to a book so easily. There was one point when I stopped...looked at the cover and literally thought to myself "Did I write this?!". Truly it was heartfelt and comical and honest. Overall...I just loved it.
Kathleen
Nov 17, 2008 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
I liked this book up until the last chapter when she describes what it's like to be in love. I guess I felt it didn't mesh well with the rest of the book. Overall, I liked this book, laughed more than a few times, and appreciated the author's audacity when it came to discussing sex.
Melody Hesse
Jun 11, 2010 Melody Hesse rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I made it through about half of this book...and that was done by forcing myself to continue to read under the guise that something funny might actually happen. Well I give up. Reading the other reviews on this book I think I've made a wise choice.
Denise
May 08, 2009 Denise rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay. Each chapter is like a different short story, so I had a hard time really getting into it. She never really left me wanting coming back for more. Some of the anecdotes were amusing, but don't know that I'd recommend it.
Debs
Oct 08, 2015 Debs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guidry writes in the vein of David Sedaris and Laurie Notaro. This book is the same sort of memoir/fiction blend that’s become so popular these days. She’s got a good wit, and this book actually made me feel better about being single.
Anne
Apr 04, 2008 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book. Got it as an advanced copy. Don't normally read memoirs but this is a great book, a really fast read. I would recommend this to the ladies, especially the single ones..

Sara
Oct 23, 2008 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No Sedaris, and I probably would have liked it better if I was a decade older, and/or lived in LA, but she definitely dealt with the hilarity of dating much better than I ever could.
Heather
Oct 09, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a couple of editing mistakes in this book that annoyed me, like your/you're- get it right! But over all I thought this book was really funny and pretty good. It's a fast read.
Erica
I only the read the first part of this book. I was looking for more of a commentary on dating and the part I read was more of a commentary on dating men in Los Angeles.
South Regional Durham County Libraries
Ann
Mar 23, 2009 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was funny. A little bit bitter, and definitely centered on life in LA, but if you like Chelsea handler, you'll like this book. WArning: it's kind of dirty.
  • Single State of the Union: Single Women Speak Out on Life, Love, and the Pursuit of Happiness
  • Tabloid Love: Looking for Mr. Right in All the Wrong Places, A Memoir
  • Ruminations on College Life
  • The Company They Kept: Writers on Unforgettable Friendships
  • Journalistas: 100 Years of the Best Writing and Reporting by Women Journalists
  • Girl on the Couch: Life, Love, and Confessions of a Normal Neurotic
  • A Monster's Notes
  • The Spinster and Her Enemies: Feminism and Sexuality 1880-1930
  • Behind Bars: The Straight-Up Tales of a Big-City Bartender
  • What Is Life Worth?: The Inside Story of the 9/11 Fund and Its Effort to Compensate the Victims of September 11th
  • Sex, Drugs and Economics: An Unconventional Intro to Economics
  • G-Strings and Sympathy: Strip Club Regulars and Male Desire
  • Against Love: A Polemic
  • Poker Face: A Girlhood Among Gamblers
  • Love is a Four Letter Word
  • You Can Never Find a Rickshaw When It Monsoons: The World on One Cartoon a Day
  • Blues for Cannibals: The Notes from Underground
  • All But the Waltz: A Memoir of Five Generations in the Life of a Montana Family

Being in love is not actually fear, but the difference between being in a haunted house alone and being with someone: walking through it alone is terrifying, but then you bump into another terrified person, you both look at each other and think, Hey, you're here too. You're still terrified but its OK because you're not terrifed alone.”
3 likes