Mission Earth 03: The Enemy Within

Mission Earth 03: The Enemy Within (Mission Earth #3)

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  1,290 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A monumental work -- acclaimed as agenuine masterpiece -- L. Ron Hubbard's 1.2-million-word-ten-volume MISSION EARTH dekalogy brilliantly blends science fiction and action/adventure on a vast interstellar scale with stinging satire -- in the literary tradition of Voltaire, Swift and Orwell -- on the world's foibles and fancies.A true publishing phenomenon -- precedent-sett...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published July 1st 1991 by Bridge Publications (CA) (first published 1986)

Leif
Great read... Although the title suggests an unnerving, almost sinister plot, the author's pragmatic use of detail and effortless blend of post-modern colloquialism brings a rather homey, sympathetic view of alien domination to the reader.
curtis chittenden
Good but not the best one I've read yet

this is the third book in the mission earth series so I can't comment on the ins and outs of all the story but this book in particular was pretty slow but there are seven books after it so I figured I was bound to run into a couple slow ones I didn't like this one as much as the first but I did however like it better than the second and although people are complaining about the drawn out utanc character I actually enjoyed these parts because obviously there...more
Kathryn
Horrible. The less said about this one the better.
David Sarkies
When we are dealing with a series of ten novels, particularly one that was read so long ago, the entire series seems to morph into a single book that can be vaguely remembered. Some people have seemed to like these books but most of the readers seem to have not. I have never really been a big fan of such long running series, though the only other I read was The Wheel of Time, which I gave up on once I reached the seventh book. However, unlike Robert Jordan, it seems that Hubbard had originally...more
Mariya
Absolute drivel.

I am wondering if I can be bothered to go write this on all the books of the series that I actually managed to slog through, and I might. Been reading sci-fi since I remember myself and almost never have I dropped a book halfway through. I really tried with this "epic" series, really did. On book 4 now and have decided that there is no way I am devoting another precious minute of my life to this.

The story has something in it, but there are so many unnecessary twists and turns, t...more
Jason Sta. Maria
My first Mission Earth Galaxy Press published book. Just like the previous two, I didn't really enjoyed reading it but I still wanted to know how the story will go. The hero in the story was becoming more and more cooler and he still needs to encounter a bunch of hardships while the story goes. There are still lots of boring scenarios just for the sake of making the flow of the story long.
Denis
Take all ten of these books and boil 'em down all night... no, leave it on the burner for a whole week. Reduce it too a thick dense sticky sauce. And still, this will have very little flavour.

There was the seed of a decent parody in there within the first two books then the joke was over. The joke became, "...let's make it ten books, just to make it a "dekalogy".
Steve Bowling
Not to knock L Ron because I absolutely loved Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard but this one was definitely not my cup of tea. I didn't find it funny in the least and I think that was what it was trying to be. It failed and I quit the series.
Bradley
I wanted to read this book so badly I checked it out of the library. I laughed several times throughout this book.. while my wife was watching a DVD. A very good story and extremely funny. I enjoyed this book a lot. =)
Lianna Vigil
one of the few books I have never finished. I not only didn't finish it; I *threw* it away! Into the trash dumpster! I've never done that before or since!
Blake
A crazy pulp novel, clearly written just to tell a story and get paid by the word; though not as crazy or pulpish as Scientology.
Ruth
c1988: Summed up by Orson Scott Card as '"Ironic, exciting, romantic and hilarious."
Ricardo
Great Series of Science Fiction novels.
Nicole (kasinda)
Okay this just seems to be getting worse.
Chad
Great series very funny
Peter
Red this one too... sigh
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
  • Northworld (Northworld, #1)
  • Masks of the Martyrs (Rings of the Master, #4)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted (Stainless Steel Rat, #2)
  • Go Tell the Spartans (Falkenberg's Legion, Book 3)
  • Berserker Man (Berserker, #4)
  • Homecoming (Robotech, First Generation, #3)
  • I, Robot: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • King's Test (Star of the Guardians, #2)
  • Rogue Star (Firestar, #2)
  • Have Wormhole, Will Travel
  • Harvest of Stars (Harvest of Stars, #1)
  • Rim
  • The Chantry Guild (Childe Cycle, #9)
  • Runner (Run #1)
L. Ron Hubbard was a popular pulp writer of science fiction, fantasy, adventure, mysteries and westerns during the 1930s and later founder of Dianetics and Scientology.

Known Pseudonyms:
Frederick Engelhardt
Kurt von Rachen
Rene LaFayete/Rene La Fayette/René Lafayette
Frankie Rohne
More about L. Ron Hubbard...
Battlefield Earth The Invaders Plan (Mission Earth, #1) Black Genesis (Mission Earth, #2) An Alien Affair (Mission Earth, #4) Fortune of Fear (Mission Earth, #5)