55 Christmas Balls to Knit: Colorful Festive Ornaments, Tree Decorations, Centerpieces, Wreaths, Window Dressings

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Inspired by traditional Norwegian knitwear, these designs for holiday ornaments integrate the old with the new. With crafts based on the authors' original designs, this guide gives knitters the chance to craft their very own versions of these playful decorations. Each pattern can easily be adapted to hats, mittens, or even sweaters by the extra creative crafter.
Published July 1st 2011 by Trafalgar Square Books (first published 2010)

Aimee
Apr 05, 2014 Aimee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Got this from the library through an ILL, I've knit 1 ornament so far and hope to do at least one more before it's due back. I don't think I like enough of the motifs to buy it though. The instructions are pretty clear, but the knitting/increases/decreases for the basic shape are in the front of the book and the motifs follow, so I found myself flipping back and forth a lot. I think now that I did one, I could do the other without needing to refer back to the basic pattern though.
Mona
Oh yes, finally something new to get hooked on! A norwegian book came ot this year on how to make knitted scandiavian christmas ornaments. A quick good projects to get rid of some of your excess yarn!
The book is delicate, pritty and easy to understand, but with some bugs that should have been washed out when reviewed (see e.g. buttom of page 23; xx). And where are the santa patterns? 55 patterns and no santa???? Luckily they made it possible to design your own patterns! Wonder if I can publish o...more
Tina
This book is a nice mix of patterns and Scandinavian Christmas tradition. I love the pictures! I also love their idea of taking one basic pattern and working different motifs into the design. I haven't had a chance to knit any up but I know a lot of knitters' who are addicted to knitting balls. The main reason I didn't give this book five stars, is that after hearing them speak in public, I think that some of their humor and charm is lost in translation.
Frances Mclaughlin
I haven't knitted in quite a few years but had a hankering to get back into it. This was the perfect book to start with, the balls are small enough for you to get your hand in without ruining a big project, but with interesting enough patterns to keep involved. The instructions are clear and the patterns well laid out. I've made 10 baubles so far and already have had to give 2 away.
Bea
Dec 06, 2011 Bea rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: library
I can't help but wonder who let this title go through; it's awkward at best. I found the patterns to be a mixture of charming and ho-hum, and feel that the contents of the book (which consist mainly of charts) could have been fit into a third of the pages. I did appreciate the many large and full-color photographs, though.
Sara
I thought this book was a humorous book - but it ISN'T! These guys are serious about their Christmas balls! These are basically repeated motifs that can be knit into sweaters or Christmas ornaments. Interesting book, but I'd never buy it! Chronicles many Scandinavian holiday celebrations. At Brookfield library!
Annette
Love the designs. The simple fact is that this starts like a sock, and ends up like a ball.. Fingers a'flyin. Or getting entangled.
RH Walters
I haven't made a Christmas ball yet, but I'm utterly charmed by these devoted knitters and their many fetching patterns. Their brief comments contain just enough northern sadness and austerity to elevate their pursuit to art.
Kirstin
This book wins a prize for oddest cover and is also in the running for a prize for strangest subject matter. That said, the designs for said "Christmas balls" are quite beautiful.
Jacqueline
Fun, fun, fun and work!
Jessica
charming text, fun guys, pretty christmas ornaments. plus, balls to knit. it's just funny!

xmas present from my MIL 2012.
Fangirl
A great pattern to make easy and lovely Christmas decorations.
Catie
Catie marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Tisha
Tisha marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Mar 25, 2014
Jessi
Jessi added it
Mar 18, 2014
Ybgenny
Ybgenny marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2014
Dana Ankenbauer
Dana Ankenbauer marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Patricia Roberts
Patricia Roberts marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Poppen breien met Arne en Carlos Arne & Carlos breien op hun paasbest Knit-and-Crochet Garden : Bring a little outside In with 35 projects inspired by flowers, butterflies, birds and bees Noors breien met Arne & Carlos Paskestrikk: Stricken für den Frühling