Start by marking “55 Christmas Balls to Knit: Colorful Festive Ornaments, Tree Decorations, Centerpieces, Wreaths, Window Dressings” as Want to Read:

Inspired by traditional Norwegian knitwear, these designs for holiday ornaments integrate the old with the new. With crafts based on the authors' original designs, this guide gives knitters the chance to craft their very own versions of these playful decorations. Each pattern can easily be adapted to hats, mittens, or even sweaters by the extra creative crafter.
Published July 1st 2011 by Trafalgar Square Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about 55 Christmas Balls to Knit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 55 Christmas Balls to Knit

Liz
Jan 02, 2016 Liz rated it it was amazing
Since my little cat Nike died 5 years ago, I've taken up knitting again. (Cat owners will know why!) Mostly afghans and baby blankets. This Christmas I knitted Christmas bell ornaments for our church's little Christmas fair. Then I found this book at the library. I have not yet finished a project yet, but the book is an excellent guide, with lots of ideas to take these ornaments in many different directions. For moderately skilled knitters.
Mona
Dec 03, 2010 Mona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crafts
Oh yes, finally something new to get hooked on! A norwegian book came ot this year on how to make knitted scandiavian christmas ornaments. A quick good projects to get rid of some of your excess yarn!
The book is delicate, pritty and easy to understand, but with some bugs that should have been washed out when reviewed (see e.g. buttom of page 23; xx). And where are the santa patterns? 55 patterns and no santa???? Luckily they made it possible to design your own patterns! Wonder if I can publish o
Judi
One of the few books that I have paid full price for....and worth every penny. There are 55 charted patterns to make Christmas ornaments. Also includes instructions for plain ones and a blank grid to chart your own. I made some right away and would like to make them all. Easy to knit and the instructions are excellent. I like the photos and little stories too, though I think some suffer from poor translation. The book was originally in Norwegian.
Aimee
Aug 11, 2016 Aimee rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Got this from the library through an ILL, I've knit 1 ornament so far and hope to do at least one more before it's due back. I don't think I like enough of the motifs to buy it though. The instructions are pretty clear, but the knitting/increases/decreases for the basic shape are in the front of the book and the motifs follow, so I found myself flipping back and forth a lot. I think now that I did one, I could do the other without needing to refer back to the basic pattern though.
Tina
Jul 06, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it
This book is a nice mix of patterns and Scandinavian Christmas tradition. I love the pictures! I also love their idea of taking one basic pattern and working different motifs into the design. I haven't had a chance to knit any up but I know a lot of knitters' who are addicted to knitting balls. The main reason I didn't give this book five stars, is that after hearing them speak in public, I think that some of their humor and charm is lost in translation.
Nicolette
Dec 31, 2014 Nicolette rated it it was amazing
Charming with beautiful traditions described as well as lovely photographs. The only thing I don't understand is the title. This book only has patterns for christmas ball decorations so I'm not exactly sure why it lists tree decorations, centerpieces, wreaths and window dressings as part of the pattern list. Despite that, I love this book enough to have purchased my own copy.
Frances Mclaughlin
Nov 13, 2013 Frances Mclaughlin rated it it was amazing
I haven't knitted in quite a few years but had a hankering to get back into it. This was the perfect book to start with, the balls are small enough for you to get your hand in without ruining a big project, but with interesting enough patterns to keep involved. The instructions are clear and the patterns well laid out. I've made 10 baubles so far and already have had to give 2 away.
Sara
Apr 12, 2012 Sara rated it liked it
Shelves: at-library
I thought this book was a humorous book - but it ISN'T! These guys are serious about their Christmas balls! These are basically repeated motifs that can be knit into sweaters or Christmas ornaments. Interesting book, but I'd never buy it! Chronicles many Scandinavian holiday celebrations. At Brookfield library!
Denise
Apr 24, 2016 Denise rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Talk about living your best life! This Nordic couple, featured on the cover, live on an "eclectic farm" and design knitwear. Living the dream... This is a collection of knitted ball-shaped Christmas ornaments. One master pattern for the ball, and then 50+ pattern variations to make little snowflakes and reindeers and stuff on your balls. Very cool!
Bea
Dec 06, 2011 Bea rated it liked it
Shelves: library
I can't help but wonder who let this title go through; it's awkward at best. I found the patterns to be a mixture of charming and ho-hum, and feel that the contents of the book (which consist mainly of charts) could have been fit into a third of the pages. I did appreciate the many large and full-color photographs, though.
RH Walters
Jan 26, 2012 RH Walters rated it really liked it
I haven't made a Christmas ball yet, but I'm utterly charmed by these devoted knitters and their many fetching patterns. Their brief comments contain just enough northern sadness and austerity to elevate their pursuit to art.
Mae Floresca
Oct 22, 2014 Mae Floresca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cultural, crafting
Love this book! I'm making an ornament for every person on my Christmas list this year. The patterns are delightful, as are the stories behind them. I like that there is a variety of patterns for different tastes, but that they are if uniform size.
Denise Faustyn
Feb 16, 2016 Denise Faustyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful Christmas traditions

This book is an old fashion Christmas inspiration. Beautiful patterns that will bring you back to simpler times and what Christmas means.
Annette
Aug 24, 2015 Annette rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
Love the designs. The simple fact is that this starts like a sock, and ends up like a ball.. Fingers a'flyin. Or getting entangled.
Tammy
Dec 19, 2015 Tammy rated it really liked it
Shelves: creativity
A great book, with more than just the patterns - loved the inspiration & stories that went with each design.
Jessica
Apr 02, 2012 Jessica rated it really liked it
charming text, fun guys, pretty christmas ornaments. plus, balls to knit. it's just funny!

xmas present from my MIL 2012.
Kirstin
Dec 05, 2011 Kirstin rated it liked it
This book wins a prize for oddest cover and is also in the running for a prize for strangest subject matter. That said, the designs for said "Christmas balls" are quite beautiful.
Elena. (theresmiling)
Elena. (theresmiling) rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2013
Cathy Little
Cathy Little rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2015
Ashleyelva
Ashleyelva rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2017
Fran
Fran rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2014
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2012
Laura rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2012
Jennifer Ruvalcaba
Jennifer Ruvalcaba rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2014
Carolin
Carolin rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Debra
Debra rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
Laura rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2012
Elaine
Elaine rated it liked it
May 28, 2015
Louise
Louise rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Deborah Parsons
Deborah Parsons rated it liked it
Dec 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • More Sensational Knitted Socks
  • Little Red in the City
  • The Art of Fair Isle Knitting
  • Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac
  • The Fleece & Fiber Sourcebook
  • Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits
  • The Knitter's Book of Wool: The Ultimate Guide to Understanding, Using, and Loving this Most Fabulous Fiber
  • Martha Stewart's Handmade Holiday Crafts: 225 Projects and Year-Round Inspiration for Everybody's Favorite Celebrations
  • Knitting on the Road
  • The Intentional Spinner
  • Start Spinning
  • 100 Snowflakes to Crochet: Make Your Own Snowdrift---to Give or to Keep
  • Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs from Interweave
  • The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting
  • Mason*Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide - Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes and Pictures
  • Stitch 'n Bitch Superstar Knitting: Go Beyond the Basics