Start by marking “Folk and Fairy Tales, Concise Edition” as Want to Read:
Folk and Fairy Tales, Concise Edition

Folk and Fairy Tales, Concise Edition

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  202 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A student text. Attached to front cover is a card with a passcode to use to access additional readings at a Broadview Press complimentary website.
Published March 18th 2011 by Broadview Press (first published April 3rd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Folk and Fairy Tales, Concise Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Folk and Fairy Tales, Concise Edition

Salma
I haven't read fairy tales in so long- this book has three versions of each classic- plus some poetry thrown in. Feel like I'm replenishing a magic dried-up well.

UPDATE:

I like to think of reading books as the mental equivalent of enjoying a gourmet meal. Most are 'devoured' at one sitting. This fairy tale collection, however, is more like rare, imported dark chocolate: more enjoyable piece by piece, spread out over days, even weeks.

I found this in the children's section of The Strand, but I h
This is a collection of fairy tales penned by authors such as Andersen, Wilde, Perrault, and the Grimm brothers. All in all, I found the stories delightful. It was fascinating to see how they've evolved over time, from dark to innocent and now moving back towards the former. My personal favorites are always the stories that demonstrate the triumph of innocence over corruption. (Snow White, The Emperor's New Clothes).

Like dreams, fairy tales should create a symbolic mirror that helps us to resolv
Kelly Barry
Good collection. Interesting essays. For my children's literature class
Megan
I'm a sucker for fairy tales and this book didn't disappoint.
Debra
Awesome collection of folklore and fairy tales. It gives a collection of different variations of each story, and the brief background history included before each category is very well written and helpful in giving a deeper understanding of the stories. I also found the essays in the back of the book about folklore to be very informative and interesting. The editors did a great job in giving different perspectives on the topic of folklore (i.e. folklorist, feminist, and other takes on the subjec ...more
Steven
Used this book in a Children's Literature course I took in my undergrad as an elective and oh my was it enlightening. Truly fascinating to discover all the different versions of seemingly well know fairy tales. From touching and wholesome to gruesome and horrifying, the history of these tales should be something we all discover.
Rachel
First book all semester that I read the whole way through, of course I had required journal entries following every section. So, yeah, caring about my grade for the course this term really made a difference here. I do not recommend reading it all in one day, because you may feel sluggish afterwards and find the "Story of Three Little Pigs" to be your favorite, because let's face it there is just something ridiculously funny about pigs with machine guns; or maybe that's just me.

It was a good boo
Afton
This book has a great mix of some of the best stories and gives you a good idea of how each fairy tale progressed/changed or was embedded in different cultures over time. Sometimes the versions can get a bit repetitive, but overall this is a really good compilation. The more modern versions of the stories are particularly something you should check out.. especially "The Company of Wolves" by Angela Carter... super creepy but i really loved it... maybe thats just me.
Ben Siems
A very nice study in the evolution (or gradual debasement over time, depending on one's point of view) of the fairy tale, with the all-time greats all represented and a number of little-known but wonderful tales as well. The commentary is academic, and at that, occasionally rather stiff and dry, but all in all, a very nice read.
Amie Doughty
Decent brief introduction to folktales. I'd have like to see the Chinese version of Cinderella and some additional folktale revisions in it (like those in the Red Riding Hood chapter), but it was an effective enough text for the class I was teaching.
Emily
This is a great way to study fairy tales. It has all the classics, with multiple versions, and then some. A lot of perspectives are viewed and analyzed in context of fairy tales and overall an enjoyable read.
Delisa
May 05, 2010 Delisa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Delisa by: dleon7900@yahoo.com
I bought this collection of fairy tales for a Lit class and I use it all the time. There are different versions of each fairy tale, critical essays and even paintings. I love it.
Carly
Had to read this for school.
Good collection of fairy tales though (as reference). For some stories, there are even multiple versions.
Noora El-keilani
Changed few views from my childhood I woulda loved to keep. A good book overall though.
kidzlibrarian
I started this awhile ago and had to push myself to finish it.
Nadine
Nadine added it
Dec 07, 2014
Jen Claxton
Jen Claxton is currently reading it
Dec 07, 2014
Laura added it
Dec 02, 2014
Samantha Silver
Samantha Silver marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Creios
Creios marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Lydia
Lydia added it
Nov 07, 2014
Lydia
Lydia is currently reading it
Nov 07, 2014
  • Off With Their Heads!: Fairy Tales and the Culture of Childhood
  • The Dark of the Woods
  • Little Red Riding Hood Uncloaked: Sex, Morality, and the Evolution of a Fairy Tale
  • Stranger Magic: Charmed States & The Arabian Nights
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • Her Stories: African American Folktales, Fairy Tales, and True Tales
  • The Innocence and Wisdom of Father Brown
  • The Mystery of the Spider's Clue
  • Essential Thinkers - Socrates
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Eighteenth Annual Collection
  • Favorite Folktales from Around the World (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Mirror, Mirror on the Wall: Women Writers Explore Their Favorite Fairy Tales
Folk & Fairy Tales (Concise Edition) Out of the Blue: Responding Compassionately to Homosexuality Out of the Blue Finding a Compassionate Christian Response to Homosexuality I Am Learning To Love: A Personal Journey To Wholeness In Christ