Start by marking “Folk and Fairy Tales - Concise Edition” as Want to Read:
Folk and Fairy Tales - Concise Edition

Folk and Fairy Tales - Concise Edition

A student text. Attached to front cover is a card with a passcode to use to access additional readings at a Broadview Press complimentary website.
Published March 18th 2011 by Broadview Press Inc (first published April 3rd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Folk and Fairy Tales - Concise Edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Folk and Fairy Tales - Concise Edition

Salma
I haven't read fairy tales in so long- this book has three versions of each classic- plus some poetry thrown in. Feel like I'm replenishing a magic dried-up well.

UPDATE:

I like to think of reading books as the mental equivalent of enjoying a gourmet meal. Most are 'devoured' at one sitting. This fairy tale collection, however, is more like rare, imported dark chocolate: more enjoyable piece by piece, spread out over days, even weeks.

I found this in the children's section of The Strand, but I h
Nov 23, 2010 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of fairy tales penned by authors such as Andersen, Wilde, Perrault, and the Grimm brothers. All in all, I found the stories delightful. It was fascinating to see how they've evolved over time, from dark to innocent and now moving back towards the former. My personal favorites are always the stories that demonstrate the triumph of innocence over corruption. (Snow White, The Emperor's New Clothes).

Like dreams, fairy tales should create a symbolic mirror that helps us to resolv
Emily Cait
Feb 19, 2014 Emily Cait rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of the fairy tales are pretty messed up. A fun light read and a nice collection of retellings.
Megan
Sep 30, 2008 Megan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for fairy tales and this book didn't disappoint.
Kelly Barry
Good collection. Interesting essays. For my children's literature class
Rachel A.
May 28, 2016 Rachel A. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent overview of fairy tales and folk tales across a variety of cultures. I especially enjoy how it presents versions of familiar tales from several different countries, making it easy to compare and see how the story evolves depending on who is telling it. There is also a section at the end devoted to literary criticism, as well as introductory sections to each chapter. The fairy tales are grouped by theme, rather than by author, making it really easy to see the similaritie ...more
Debra
Mar 11, 2012 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome collection of folklore and fairy tales. It gives a collection of different variations of each story, and the brief background history included before each category is very well written and helpful in giving a deeper understanding of the stories. I also found the essays in the back of the book about folklore to be very informative and interesting. The editors did a great job in giving different perspectives on the topic of folklore (i.e. folklorist, feminist, and other takes on the subjec ...more
Rachel
Apr 16, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book all semester that I read the whole way through, of course I had required journal entries following every section. So, yeah, caring about my grade for the course this term really made a difference here. I do not recommend reading it all in one day, because you may feel sluggish afterwards and find the "Story of Three Little Pigs" to be your favorite, because let's face it there is just something ridiculously funny about pigs with machine guns; or maybe that's just me.

It was a good boo
Nathan
Read selected stories for ENGL2298:

SLEEPING BEAUTY: "Sun, Moon, and Talia" (Basile); "Sleeping Beauty in the Woods" (Perrault); "Briar Rose" (Grimm)
CINDERELLA: "Cinderella" (Perrault); "Ashenputtel" (Grimm); "Vasilisa the Beautiful" (Afanas'ev); "The Indian Cinderella" (Macmillan); "Little Gold Star" (San Souci); "Cinderella" (Sexton); "When the Clock Strikes" (Lee); "The Wicked Stepmother's Lament" (Maitland)
ANIMAL BRIDEGROOM: "Beauty and the Beast" (Beaumont); Criticism by Rowe, Lurie, Tosi
OTH
aftron
Sep 02, 2010 aftron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a great mix of some of the best stories and gives you a good idea of how each fairy tale progressed/changed or was embedded in different cultures over time. Sometimes the versions can get a bit repetitive, but overall this is a really good compilation. The more modern versions of the stories are particularly something you should check out.. especially "The Company of Wolves" by Angela Carter... super creepy but i really loved it... maybe thats just me.
Steven
Jan 21, 2015 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbook, 2015
I don't really know how best to review an anthology of folk and fairy tales. Some of the tales are fun to read. Some are not. Some of the stories are good for analysis. Some are not. Some are worthwhile for teaching purposes. Some are not.

It's a grab bag of tales and, to be fair, I think that most of the wonder and graciousness we have for Fairy Tales is a result of our familiarity with their Disney-fied variants. Good as a resource on a shelf for teaching or reading to small children.
Emily Whelchel
Jan 28, 2015 Emily Whelchel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the concise edition of this collection for a Young Adult Literature class I am taking for university. While this book only contains Little Red Riding Hood, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Hansel and Gretel, these particular stories are very comprehensive. There are multiple tellings and detailed history of each classic folk tale. I learned a lot about the fairy tale and about the history of children's literature from Hallett and Karasek. I'm glad for the reading experience.
Steven
Sep 29, 2014 Steven rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all
Used this book in a Children's Literature course I took in my undergrad as an elective and oh my was it enlightening. Truly fascinating to discover all the different versions of seemingly well know fairy tales. From touching and wholesome to gruesome and horrifying, the history of these tales should be something we all discover.
Ben Siems
A very nice study in the evolution (or gradual debasement over time, depending on one's point of view) of the fairy tale, with the all-time greats all represented and a number of little-known but wonderful tales as well. The commentary is academic, and at that, occasionally rather stiff and dry, but all in all, a very nice read.
Amie Doughty
Jun 02, 2011 Amie Doughty rated it liked it
Shelves: folktales
Decent brief introduction to folktales. I'd have like to see the Chinese version of Cinderella and some additional folktale revisions in it (like those in the Red Riding Hood chapter), but it was an effective enough text for the class I was teaching.
Dayna Smith
A wonderful anthology of classic folk/fairy tales and some of their modern re-tellings. There are also a fantastic sampling of criticism and introductions to the various tales that should not be missed. These are not the Disneyfied versions of the tales; they are the originals so reader beware.
Nathan Burgoine
Jun 01, 2015 Nathan Burgoine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: anthologies
A solid book of fairy tales and folk tales, used in my course of Mythology and Symbolism, this one is a fabulous collection, and is definitely set off by the formal essays at the end of the book - including one by Tolkein.
Zeddd
Nov 24, 2015 Zeddd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For my Children's Literature course:

I really liked re-reading the fairy tales and analyzing them in class, and the criticisms at the back of the books were quite interesting to read. My favourite fairy tale was Angela Carter's A Company of Wolves - so so good!
Emily
Nov 06, 2009 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great way to study fairy tales. It has all the classics, with multiple versions, and then some. A lot of perspectives are viewed and analyzed in context of fairy tales and overall an enjoyable read.
Ariana
Fabulous anthology of old, new, and "original" tales. My favorite was Tanith Lee's dark retelling of Cinderella.
Alex Apostol
Mar 25, 2015 Alex Apostol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for college for my English major, but I kept it for my shelves. It has so many different versions of the Fairy Tales we all know and love.
Carly
Had to read this for school.
Good collection of fairy tales though (as reference). For some stories, there are even multiple versions.
Delisa
May 05, 2010 Delisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Delisa by: dleon7900@yahoo.com
I bought this collection of fairy tales for a Lit class and I use it all the time. There are different versions of each fairy tale, critical essays and even paintings. I love it.
Christin
Christin rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2014
Leah
Leah rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2014
LeAeron Yen
LeAeron Yen rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2011
Kara
Kara rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2010
Sharanja
Sharanja rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2012
Bailee Foreman
Bailee Foreman rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Off with their heads!: fairy tales and the culture of childhood
  • Longman Anthology of British Literature: The Restoration and the 18th Century
  • The Dark of the Woods
  • Stranger Magic: Charmed States & The Arabian Nights
  • The Oxford Companion to Fairy Tales
  • At the Bottom of the Garden: A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, Nymphs, and Other Troublesome Things
  • My Mother Said I Never Should
  • Princeless Short Stories Volume 1
  • Grimm's Grimmest
  • Marvelous Transformations: An Anthology of Fairy Tales and Contemporary Critical Perspectives
  • Her Stories: African American Folktales, Fairy Tales, and True Tales
  • The Maid of the North: Feminist Folk Tales from Around the World
  • The Book of Goddesses
  • Indo-European Poetry and Myth
  • Little Red Riding Hood Uncloaked: Sex, Morality, and the Evolution of a Fairy Tale
  • Best-Loved Folktales of the World