The Feather Room

The Feather Room

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Science, birds, Billy the Kid, and lots of feathers surround The Feather Room, Anis Mojgani's follow up to his Pushcart-nominated work, Over the Anvil We Stretch. In The Feather Room, Mojgani further explores storytelling in poetic form while traveling farther down the path of magic realism, endowing his tales with a greater sense of fantasy and brightness. The work recoun...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Write Bloody Publishing (first published October 1st 2010)

Maryanne Taouk
This collection of work from acclaimed Def Jam and Slam Poet Anis Mojgani is definitely a must read for aspiring hipsters everywhere.

A joyful mix of poems and observations, ‘The Feather Room’ appears to be a bit of an intrusive look into Mojgani’s life, in fact some of the things he writes about are so personal you feel a little guilty reading them.

That doesn’t stop each page becoming a testament to modern American poetry, or the unquestionable bible of chai-latte drinking, scarf wearing, Salvat...more
Hobie
I don't often read poetry, but I happened to see Mojgani read here in Portland and was drawn in by the energy and the magicality of the writing. Nearly narrative, but not prose, these pieces charmed the socks off of me. I was fortunate enough to see him perform again last night and am jazzed all over again. Keep it coming, Anis!
Duane
I just finished the last few poems in The Feather Room - an amazing journey of poems that has filled my mind with wonder for the past week. Anis Mojani took me places – as a reader – that only one other writer ever has – Gabriel Garcia Marquez. This is not to say they write in a similar fashion – they don't. But each took my mind on a journey to similar places – but by different routs.

Anis has a wild and wide ranging mind and where he leads the reader is stunning. I never expect to connect with...more
Yona
Feb 16, 2012 Yona rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
The collection open with a story, told like a myth or folk tale, about the three doors of one’s life: a yellow wood door, which shows the past and someone loved and lost; a red stone door, which shows the self crying for something one cannot let go; and a blue glass door, which shows the future. The poems in The Feather Room show Anis Mojgani’s journey through these three doors.

I’m still not quite sure what I thought of Mojgani. These were very strange poems, and I can’t pretend I under them all...more
Kara
This man has such a beautiful mind that it's almost painful to read his words. Been lucky enough to have been exposed to his writing and performances for seven years, and I'm still constantly in awe.
Lori
I loved this book! The poems were beautiful, in that dream like state where things are real and not real, light and heavy at the same time. But most of all these poems made me hopeful of love...
Lisa
I got to see this guy speak at a To Write Love on Her Arms event and immediately fell in love with his art. It's so fresh and genuine. LOVE IT!
Maria Rocio
Jun 30, 2012 Maria Rocio marked it as to-read
amazing, beautiful, inspiring. a must read for anyone with a passion for words, writing and life.
Abbigail
Best collection of magical realism poetry I've discovered in a while.
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Jenn Mahoney
Jenn Mahoney marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Maryamk
Maryamk marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Samantha
Samantha is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2014
Shane Ezra
Shane Ezra marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Sskurdah
Sskurdah marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Shreya Singh
Shreya Singh marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Rubayya
Rubayya marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Madison Parker
Madison Parker marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
  • Visiting Hours
  • Book of My Nights
  • Mindfield: New and Selected Poems
  • B Is for Bad Poetry
  • Satan Says (Pitt Poetry Series)
  • Selected Poems
1988741
Anis Mojgani is a two time National Poetry Slam Champion and winner of the International World Cup Poetry Slam. A TEDx Speaker and former resident of the Oregon Literary Arts Writers-In-The-Schools program, Anis has performed at numerous universities, festivals, and venues around the globe. He has performed for audiences as varied as the House of Blues and the United Nations, and his work has appe...more
More about Anis Mojgani...
Over the Anvil We Stretch Junkyard Ghost Revival Songs from Under the River: A Collection of Poetry The Pocketknife Bible: The Poems and Art of Anis Mojgani The Last American Valentine: Illustrated Poems to Seduce and Destroy