Start by marking “The Feather Room” as Want to Read:
The Feather Room

The Feather Room

Science, birds, Billy the Kid, and lots of feathers surround The Feather Room, Anis Mojgani's follow up to his Pushcart-nominated work, Over the Anvil We Stretch. In The Feather Room, Mojgani further explores storytelling in poetic form while traveling farther down the path of magic realism, endowing his tales with a greater sense of fantasy and brightness. The work recoun ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Write Bloody Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Feather Room, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Feather Room

Maryanne Taouk
Oct 28, 2013 Maryanne Taouk rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved
This collection of work from acclaimed Def Jam and Slam Poet Anis Mojgani is definitely a must read for aspiring hipsters everywhere.

A joyful mix of poems and observations, ‘The Feather Room’ appears to be a bit of an intrusive look into Mojgani’s life, in fact some of the things he writes about are so personal you feel a little guilty reading them.

That doesn’t stop each page becoming a testament to modern American poetry, or the unquestionable bible of chai-latte drinking, scarf wearing, Salvat
Hobie
Aug 31, 2011 Hobie rated it it was amazing
I don't often read poetry, but I happened to see Mojgani read here in Portland and was drawn in by the energy and the magicality of the writing. Nearly narrative, but not prose, these pieces charmed the socks off of me. I was fortunate enough to see him perform again last night and am jazzed all over again. Keep it coming, Anis!
Yona Yurwit
Jan 31, 2016 Yona Yurwit rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, myth, loss
The collection open with a story, told like a myth or folk tale, about the three doors of one’s life: a yellow wood door, which shows the past and someone loved and lost; a red stone door, which shows the self crying for something one cannot let go; and a blue glass door, which shows the future. The poems in The Feather Room show Anis Mojgani’s journey through these three doors.

I’m still not quite sure what I thought of Mojgani. These were very strange poems, and I can’t pretend I under them all
Duane
Dec 10, 2012 Duane rated it really liked it
I just finished the last few poems in The Feather Room - an amazing journey of poems that has filled my mind with wonder for the past week. Anis Mojani took me places – as a reader – that only one other writer ever has – Gabriel Garcia Marquez. This is not to say they write in a similar fashion – they don't. But each took my mind on a journey to similar places – but by different routs.

Anis has a wild and wide ranging mind and where he leads the reader is stunning. I never expect to connect with
Natalie Tjo
Dec 30, 2016 Natalie Tjo rated it really liked it
Awesome use of magical realism!
Ronnie Stephens
Dec 25, 2014 Ronnie Stephens rated it it was amazing
The words bleeding out of this book are, in a word, extraordinary. Anis Mojgani is one of the best poets out there, no question. I've been following his career for a little over 4 years now, and this is the best work I've ever seen from him. Mojgani is a master with language, and his poems are hypnotizing. Never before has an American poet so effortlessly bridged superhuman compassion with brutal honesty. To give you an idea of how incredible this collection is, I'm waiting on my third copy to s ...more
Lucy
Dec 16, 2015 Lucy rated it it was amazing
Anis Mojgani does an incredible job of putting words to experiences and feelings that I know only by sensation, not language. Reading his poems is like remembering a dream or a childhood memory in full blown color. His work reminds me to slow down, to look a little longer, to be a little kinder, to drink it in while we are still here. Buy this book, it will make you feel more alive.
Kara
Mar 31, 2013 Kara rated it it was amazing
This man has such a beautiful mind that it's almost painful to read his words. Been lucky enough to have been exposed to his writing and performances for seven years, and I'm still constantly in awe.
Lori
Nov 26, 2012 Lori rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The poems were beautiful, in that dream like state where things are real and not real, light and heavy at the same time. But most of all these poems made me hopeful of love...
Lisa
Apr 16, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
I got to see this guy speak at a To Write Love on Her Arms event and immediately fell in love with his art. It's so fresh and genuine. LOVE IT!
Tyler
Sep 14, 2015 Tyler rated it really liked it
This book startles with its youthful buoyancy, like discovering your true love has returned and filled the living room with balloons.
Johara
Johara rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2013
Andrew Miller
Andrew Miller rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
Grace Aurora
Grace Aurora rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2013
L
L rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2012
Meriam Metoui
Meriam Metoui rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Angelica Lacey
Angelica Lacey rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2013
Jessica Garten
Jessica Garten rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2013
Derek Grant
Derek Grant rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2012
Barnabas Smith
Barnabas Smith rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Elise Ozarowski
Elise Ozarowski rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2016
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Alejandro Ortiz
Alejandro Ortiz rated it it was amazing
Feb 24, 2016
Charles
Charles rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2015
Azzam Merchant
Azzam Merchant rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2014
Alyson
Alyson rated it liked it
May 29, 2016
Sid
Sid rated it it was amazing
Aug 31, 2015
Cisco Torres
Cisco Torres rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2013
  • The Smell of Good Mud
  • What Learning Leaves
  • This Clumsy Living
1988741
ANIS MOJGANI is a two time National Poetry Slam Champion, winner of the International World Cup Poetry Slam, and multiple-time TEDx Speaker. He has been awarded residencies from the Vermont Studio Center, AIR Serenbe, and the Oregon Literary Arts Writers-In-The-Schools program. His work has appeared on HBO, NPR, and in the pages of such journals as Rattle, Forklift Ohio, Paper Darts, and Thrush.
A
More about Anis Mojgani...