A Fly Went by

A Fly Went by

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  7,345 ratings  ·  115 reviews
Illustrated in color. A fly went by, followed by a frog, who's chased by a cat, who's chased by a dog and a host of other frantic characters, in a humorous cumulative tale.
Hardcover, First, 72 pages
Published September 12th 1958 by Beginner Books, Inc, New York; Random House, Canada Ltd., Toronto

To ask other readers questions about A Fly Went by, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Fly Went by

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
Best Children's Books
386th out of 3,046 books — 4,441 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleThe Grouchy Ladybug by Eric CarleThe Very Quiet Cricket by Eric CarleA Fly Went by by Mike McClintockDiary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin
Picture Books with Bugs
4th out of 84 books — 57 voters

More lists with this book...

Charlotte
This book was a favorite of mine when I was a kid. It lived at my Nana's house, and I read it and "Put Me in the Zoo" and "The Cat in the Hat Comes Back" every time we visited. I remember looking for it on Amazon.com at one point, but I believe it was out of print. I was superpsyched to get it for Charlotte, even though it's kind of old fashioned and violent compared to what early readers get these days. When Charlotte was tiny, I could read it to her and she liked the rhythm. Nowadays she doesn...more
Dolly
Apr 04, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with them
Shelves: 2011, childrens, rhyming, pets
This is a fun story that builds upon itself and leads to a funny conclusion. It's a good book for beginning readers, with lots of simple words and a repetitive narrative, but I will caution that it is pretty long. Our youngest did a great job reading it, but she got tired about halfway through, so I took over. It's a fun book to read aloud.
April Scheivelhud
This is a classic story of cause and effect. A little boy is relaxing by the lakeside, but all of a sudden a fly went by. The fly was chasing an animal that was chasing another animal, and so on. There is a lot of rhyming and repetition in this story. Very fun story.
Kapra McMichael
-A book about animals being chased by other animals of larger size
-A good rhyming book
Karen
This is one of my daughter's favorites. We get it from the library time and again!
Gabi
Mar 05, 2008 Gabi added it
Gregg, you got ur story from this! OMG!
Joyce Czarny
I can remember sitting at my grandparents house on Rowan St. in Philly, hiding behind this book as 20 cousins, all their parents and god only knows what else went by me, while reading this book. The image is very clear. And I taught myself to read with this book too. And it is a vivid image of the chair, the fireplace, the mantel, and the noise, and how the book seemed to save me. I was 6 or 7 years old. Great book! Stop being afraid and just be kind is the message.
Craig Fischer
While this is probably the weakest 5 star rating I've given, I really enjoyed this book. The string of cause and effect in this book is actually quite genius, and I really like -some- of the character desings (some look so bad haha--the frog) but it was a great little book. Glad I picked it up.
Sakeena88
I've stumbled upon this book review and flashed back my childhood memory along with other books (which i've forgotten the titles) Could anyone point out the title of a book about flying car adventure (most probably from the series) I wonder where were they since we couldn't find them (as we moved a lot!) Do offer me if you've extra copies from the beginner series of Dr Seuss as I'd love to keep it for my dd (+ next gen perhaps? Even I once thought The Cat in the Hat was the weirdest creature on...more
Rima Aroutiounian
Which animal is causing the fuss. Written by McClintock with his fun writing and illustrations will attract kids and adults as well. Great book for narrative skills.
David Ward
May 17, 2014 David Ward rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone with small children
A Fly Went By by Mike McClintock (Beginner Books 1958)(Fiction - Children's). "I sat by the lake and looked at the sky, and as I looked a fly went by" is the opening to one of the best kid's books of all time. I adored it, my kids adored it, and I hope to read it to grandchildren one day. The fly is chased by a frog, the frog is chased by a cat, the cat is chased by a dog, the dog is chased by a pig, and on and on. But - nobody seems to know why they are chasing or being chased! It's the kind of...more
Rebecca
Good repetition for early readers. A bit like some Mother Goose rhymes that never seem to end. Children enjoy and fun for them to read.
Nadia
My older two thought this book was hilarious. I took from it, "Why don't we all talk to each other before we freak out?!"

Bookwyrm
Good read aloud book about animals running away from an unnecessary fear. Action packed reading for the youngsters.
Renee Sanchez
Mar 28, 2014 Renee Sanchez added it
Shelves: lari
I sat by the lake. I looked at the sky .and as i looked a fly went by.
Dave Maddock
I don't usually record children's books on Goodreads unless they are of the "stuff I might read as an adult" variety. But, Goodreads' recent poll on the topic prompted me to make an exception for this one. My son loves this book. We've read it together at least a hundred times and I still enjoy it too, which is more than I can say for most of the over-hyped Dr. Seuss catalog. I rate it four stars as the poetry is a bit forced in places, but the rhythm and pacing is fantastic.
Jill
I really liked this book because it explained the natural circle of life where smaller animals are hunted by bigger animals who are then hunted by humans while not being scary. It also taught that we can sometimes be afraid for no reason and that one shouldn't assume the worst in people because that will lead to unnecessary strife and fear. Another perk about this book is that it taught problem solving in a subtle way: the child was trying to stop the fear of all of the animals and eventually go...more
Fjóla
We've read this one together SO many times, but it wasn't until my kid insisted on reading it all by himself that I realized what a great early reader it is. It's got the rhyme, it's got the repetition, but not to the point of being tedious, and despite its 64 pages and lots of print of some of them it consists only of one or two syllable phonetically logical words and common sight words. And yet, the language doesn't feel dumbed down at all, it's a very pleasant, flowing read. Still a favorite...more
Libby
I picked this one up because the cover was familiar from my childhood, but I didn't actually remember much about the story. It turns out to be a cumulative story, where the narrator/protagonist sees a succession of animals that each seem to be chasing the next...except when he questions them, they are actually running away from something else. Cute, if a little long, and the kids enjoyed it, too.
Dee-Ann
I love kids books that rhyme, it makes it so much easier to read out aloud, and fun. This is a greta book, which is like the Green Eggs and ham, in that you have remember a successive list of characters, all who seem initially to be chasing another. The lamb with the foot in the bucket, is a bit out dated and a foreign concept for my kids, but it brought me back to my childhood readings.
Mike Spinak
A Fly Went By is a fun, silly book with an entertaining story and decent illustrations. Nothing deep here, but that's OK. It's good for a few readings, but it does start toward being too much, as it gets close to the end. The kids only wanted this read to them a few times, and I only wanted to read it to them those few times - but it was fun for those few times.
Lauren Brown
A Fly Went By is a very cute book with old fashioned pictures that are entertaining. The text is rhyming in a fun way and is great for students who need to work on fluency. The text is repetitive, which is also fantastic for beginning readers. I would recommend this book for students that are at the end of 1st grade due to the vocabulary and length of the book.
Wickedshizuku (and the Jedi pup)
Nov 02, 2012 Wickedshizuku (and the Jedi pup) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kindergartners and up
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: Scholastic Book Club
This book reminds me so much of the nursery rhyme 'The House that Jack Built.' That fact, and that my children want this book read to them so much it does become rather tiresome after a while. The looks on their faces are worth all the aggravation though. If you're running late on bedtime I would choose a shorter story.
Happy Reading Kids!
Miley Smiley
This was on of my favorite stories as a kid! I loved that by the time I got to the end of the book, I was able to say the rhyme along with my mom as she read. Each page shows another animal added to the chase, this book is great for imagery. With the lines of the chase being the same every time, this book is also a great example of repetition.
Karen
Such a fun read aloud! My kids loved it!
Lara
Jul 14, 2008 Lara rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents of little kids
Little boy solves mystery of who attacks the man who chases the fox who follows the cow who stalks the pig who ambushes the dog who races after the cat who pursues the frog who runs after the fly. Gripping drama, punchy rhythm. No one gets fed after all, except for my 7-month old son who has made admirable attempts to eat the book.
Kayla
this book is very cute for kids that are just starting to read. each thing has something chasing after it. the fly has the frog chasing after it but the frog has the cat chasing after it and so on. i also like that it is a rhyming book. i think that it makes it easier for kids to read and really catches their interest.
Rachel
This was one of my favorite books as a child to read. It is something that as a future teacher I may not necessarily read to my students in the classroom, but I would definitely have it on the mini library in my classroom! I think it is something exciting and fun for kids to read.
Madkropotkin
I read it to my kids in South Padre Island, Texas. My son was cracking up and my daughter really liked it. Fun, Fun read.

My Daughter needs to take 5 AR Test per day, I told her to read 5 small books per day and one big one per week. We shall see how that goes. 9/20/11.
Wilhelmina
A great read for me and my grandchildren.....lots of pictures and repetition. However, the only issue I have is with the character who has a gun and who wants to shoot one of the other character. Luckily my grandchildren can't read, so I change that part around.........
  • The Best Nest
  • I Wish That I Had Duck Feet
  • A Fish Out of Water
  • It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
  • The Digging-est Dog (Beginner Books)
  • I Want to Be Somebody New! (Beginner Books(R))
  • Snow (Beginner Books)
  • Because a Little Bug Went Ka-choo!
  • The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems
  • He Bear, She Bear
  • I'll Teach My Dog a Lot of Words
  • Bravest Dog Ever: Story of Balto
  • Robert the Rose Horse
  • Stories from Around the World
  • Greg's Microscope
  • The Fire Cat
Stop that Ball! Follow That Fly! (Bright & Early Playtime Books) What Have I Got? Popular Science Woodworking Projects Yearbook David and the Giant