Start by marking “California Voodoo Game (Dream Park, #3)” as Want to Read:
California Voodoo Game (Dream Park, #3)

California Voodoo Game (Dream Park #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  877 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Dream Park, the ultimate in amusement parks, was about to embark on the greatest Game ever: the California Voodoo Game. Across the world bets were being placed; fortunes and reputations hung in the balance. Gaming careers would be made--or destroyed. And the most advanced software package ever invented was going to be tested.
But one of the players was a murderer--and worse
Mass Market Paperback, 343 pages
Published December 23rd 1992 by Del Rey (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about California Voodoo Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about California Voodoo Game

Dave
The third in Niven & Barnes' Dream Park series, this book was hindered by a cast almost too large to keep track of, and a dramatic change in the technology of the setting that was quite jarring to me, and in my opinion, a step backwards. The first two books featured holographic "Kruegeresque" VR technology, and this one backsteps into "Lanieresque" VR that uses visors with HUDs. If they'd started with the HUDs, that would have been ok, but going there after having holograms was definitely a ...more
Mark
"His stride reminded Griffin of a two-legged lynx. Effortless grace". I'm visualizing a lynx with two legs cut off, and "grace" is not what I'm seeing.

Okay, obviously that isn't what the author meant, but I do have a serious point. This book has too many characters (~40) which forces the writer into terse hyperbole like the above description simply to save time. It also forces the writer to quickly kill/drop/ignore characters before they threaten to develop a personality. But it still takes prec
Tracey
Got about 50 pages in when I decided I didn't really care for the story anymore... gamers might find it a little more engaging.
Lady Entropy
O Dream Park é uma (por agora) tetralogia cyberpunk escrita em colaboração por Larry Niven e Stephen Barnes, que decorre num mega parque de atracções com o dito nome. O livro mais recente saiu este ano (apesar que teve más reviews). Os quatro livros são:

Dream Park (1981)
The Barsoom Project (1989)
The California Voodoo Game (1992)
The Moon Maze Game (2011)

A série passa-se num futuro próximo na terra (o primeiro livro ocorrem em 2051). O Dream Park para além de ser um mega popular parque de atracçõe
Mike
Feb 28, 2008 Mike rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gamers, RPG players, LARPers
Shelves: fun
This is the third book in the Dream Park series. I accidently read it first, but it doesn't really matter too much, just makes it a little confusing if you read the other books later going "wait, didn't he? Wasn't she? Weren't they?" at least that's the way it was with me.
Like all Dream Park novels this is about a big nationally telecast Live Action Role Play. Yes, it's about a bunch of people walking around doing LARP, but you know what? It sounds like the most fun ever. Mostly because it has s
Talkswithwind
This is the third book in Niven's series on Live Action Role Playing gone high-tech, called the Dream Park series. The first book was Dream Park published in 1981, the second was The Barsoom Project in 1989.

In this series, our protagonists are participants in what modern readers would identify as a cross between Reality TV and a LARP. The characters are playing characters in a live game, run in a high tech setting to provide an immersive environment. There are levels for the characters, as well
AmbushPredator
A re-read for this, the third book in the 'Dream Park' saga. And it's one of the best, with a location outside Dream Park itself, and a whole lot of murder, intrigue & double-cross going on amidst the gaming.

Sadly, the only one so far available on e-format, so I'll have to go find the hardbacks if I want to re-read the rest.
Dryad86
The premise: A massive Live action role playing game (equivalant of the Superbowl) is taking place with more on the line than experience points.

Other comments: I cannot impartially judge any aspect of this book, because I am completely charmed by the entire Dream Park premise.

Andreas
Consisting of:

Dream Park
The Barsoom Project
California Vodoo Game (sometimes published as “The California Vodoo Game”)

The novels are set in a theme park named “Dream Park”. Dream Park uses holograms and other methods to create completely lifelike environments for adventures. For example, one can become a group of medieval knights on a quest, and be totally immersed in the experience. The novels are very enjoyable, with some nice twists to the tale. It is also interesting to see how role playin
Melissa Proffitt
This holds up surprisingly well for a book about virtual reality LARPing from 1994, probably because LARPing is still a big deal and I can't imagine anyone who participates in that exciting form of role playing *not* wishing that the California Voodoo Game could really happen. The idea that gamers, far from being the stereotypically pudgy and socially inept lot (this is not universally true) could be muscular, athletic types ought to be a reminder to nay-sayers that stereotypes are odious. And i ...more
Velvetink
Donated to Smith Family charity march 2015
Christian
Great book, I liked it better than Dream Park and much better than The Barsoom Project. The interactions between Alex and his allies on the one side, and Bishop on the other were captivating. And I also enjoyed the actual game going on.
***Dave Hill
The third of the Dream Park books, this one started off as the hardest slog, with far too much infodumpiness and far too little action. Once the game gets started, things get more interesting ... but Niven and Barnes play the underlying mystery too cute, the personal drama is too melo-, the bad guy too insufferably bad, and the "game" turns out to be not quite engaging enough to make up for the weaknesses.

A fun read, but not as much fun as I'd like it to be.
Geoff Conner
Second or third time reading this. Still enjoyable. Have to buy the 4th now so I can be complete.
Tracy Walters
Being a person who is not a gamer or has any interest in being one.....I started this book and was totally confused as to what was going on......after a couple of chapters I finally got the hang of it and started to enjoy the story......it was a pretty fun read and the whole idea of the California Voodoo Game was outrageous.......made me wonder if something like this will really come to pass in another 50 years or so......hmmmmmmm....
Kevin
Dream Park wasn't great, but it was somewhat original and fun. It didn't have to be the flagship for this increasingly tiresome trilogy (Why, god, did it have to be a trilogy?). By this point it's just larp-y bullcrap.
Rachel Florek
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I was just reading it at lunchtime at work, but as I got closer to the end it had to turn into my main book, because I needed to find out!
Bradley
A wonderous tale of intrigue, betrayal, and murder. All cast on a wide canvas that stays true to the gaming spirit. Enjoyable read, I think I will pass this book on to a friend.
AndrewP
Third book in the series so not as much impact or as original as the first one. Not bad but I did not like the overall scenario presented here as much as the others.
Shirley
I know absolutely nothing about gaming but such is the power of Larry Niven's story-telling I couldn't put it down. And now I know a little more about gaming.
Charl
Excellent. As good as both of the previous. I love how they all weave sci fi, gaming, and a good, old-fashioned mystery together deftly and seamlessly.
Jaq Greenspon
Not brilliant but not horrible, either. Felt like a nice conclusion to the series although there were a few too many coincidences for my taste.
Booth Babcock
If you liked the other ones, you'd probably like this one...but fairly repetitive, basically the same plot as the other books.
Laura-nassidesa Eschbaugh
A good sequel to the series, and glad to see old characters come back. Satisfied with twist and turn and gaming.
Kimbeattie
Enjoyed the Dream Park series very much.
Stephen
Excellent Book. I highly recommend it
AnnMarie Stone
AnnMarie Stone marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
Lori Garside
Lori Garside marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
  • Lucifer's Dragon
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Sings the Blues (Stainless Steel Rat, #3)
  • Buying Time
  • Dark Integers and Other Stories
  • The Privateer (The Flight Engineer, #2)
  • The River of Time
  • The Exile Kiss (Marîd Audran #3)
  • Sight of Proteus (Proteus, #1)
  • Northworld Trilogy  (Northworld, #1-3)
  • The Berserker Wars (Berserker)
  • Orion Shall Rise
  • A Signal Shattered
  • Heart of the Comet
  • Privateers (Privateers, #1)
  • Diuturnity's Dawn (Founding of the Commonwealth, #3)
  • Time Spike
  • The Stardance Trilogy (#1-3)
  • Retief At Large
Laurence van Cott Niven's best known work is Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) (1970), which received the Hugo, Locus, Ditmar, and Nebula awards. His work is primarily hard science fiction, using big science concepts and theoretical physics. The creation of thoroughly worked-out alien species, which are very different from humans both physically and mentally, is recognized as one of Niven's main strengths ...more
More about Larry Niven...

Dream Park (4 books)
  • Dream Park (Dream Park, #1)
  • The Barsoom Project (Dream Park, #2)
  • The Moon Maze Game (Dream Park #4)
Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) The Mote in God's Eye (Moties, #1) Lucifer's Hammer The Ringworld Engineers (Ringworld, #2) Footfall