Start by marking “The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eleventh Annual Collection” as Want to Read:
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eleventh Annual Collection

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eleventh Annual Collection (The Year's Best Science Fiction #11)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  133 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The future, the past, and life today are boldly imagined and reinvented in the twenty-five stories collected in this showcase anthology. Many of the field's finest practitioners are represented here, along with stories from promising newcomers. A useful list of honorable mentions and Dozois's insightful summation of the year in SF round out this anthology, making it indisp ...more
Published July 1st 1994 by St Martins Pr (first published June 15th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Year's Best Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Science Fiction

Roberts
Apr 01, 2016 Roberts rated it really liked it
Good set of stories. I received this book as a gift in the mid-1990's, and read probably half the stories in '96-97. The rest I meandered through the past few years, just finishing last night.

Here's the stories I liked best. I don't have detials on all of them due to the spread-out time frame over which I read them:

Wall, Stone, Craft by Walter Jon Williams. Alternate history. Interesting period piece.

Dancing on Air by Nancy Kress. Bioenhanced ballerinas.

Guest of Honor by Robert Reed. 'Compilatio
Todd
Mar 19, 2015 Todd rated it liked it
Here's my review of the individual stories in this collection, using the same number scale as the whole book. My average rating was a little over a 3.

Papa - 2 (I admired what it was trying to do, but I just didn't enjoy the story)
Sacred Cow - 3 (more of an alternate history at this point)
Dancing On Air - 4 (very clever)
A Visit To The Farside - 3
Alien Bootlegger - 1 (really tedious)
Death On The Nile - 3 (minor Connie Willis, but still Connie Willis)
Friendship Bridge - 3 (a sequel to a story I had
Mark
Jan 23, 2016 Mark rated it liked it
Alexis
Jan 13, 2008 Alexis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book lying in front of the auditorium when I went to see a concert of classical music. Some generous person had decided to liberate the book and had stuck a Post-it note marked "Free" on the cover of the book.

I thumbed through the book and found that it contained a story by Connie Willis, as well as stories by Bruce Sterling and Maureen McHugh, authors that have been recommended to me.

I finally read some of the stories in this book over the weekend. There were a few gems in here, an
StarMan
Jun 30, 2016 StarMan rated it it was ok
This was not a bad book, and there are a decent number (23 or so) and variety of stories. BUT... this book is NOT a collection of 20+ sci-fi stories. It is a collection of weird/fantastic tales, and only some of them qualify as science fiction.

You'll find alternate history, imaginative fiction, fantasy, a deformed baby with powers, and even a Stephen King-esque story involving ghost cars. Lots of fiction, but not enough science fiction. Nevertheless there were 3 or 4 memorable stories. And it is
Josh
Dec 21, 2008 Josh rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of sci-fi short stories and this book did not disappoint. It has a great variety of stories, writing styles, and settings. My favorites A Visit to the Far Side by Don Webb, Alien Bootlegger by Rebecca Ore, Georgia on My Mind by Charles Sheffield, Cush by Neal Barrett, Jr, and Flashback by Dan Simmons.
John Devlin
Apr 09, 2007 John Devlin rated it really liked it
If you read one sci-fi book a year, this is the one. Always stories of high caliber with a few tossed in that will keep you thinking weeks later, not to mention the collection is a primer for what science and technology everyone will be talking about five to ten years from now.
Lord Humungus
May 04, 2012 Lord Humungus rated it liked it

It's been years, but the stories in here I still remember as good were the pieces by Nancy Kress, Robert Reed, Stephen Baxter, Jack Cady. I still remember Dancing On Air and even made my friend read it as an intro to science fiction.
Rob
Mar 23, 2009 Rob rated it it was ok
Shelves: sf-f
Either this year didn't have good SF or they were past their expiration date...
Timon Karnezos
Sep 18, 2009 Timon Karnezos rated it really liked it
Sterling's piece in this one was pretty amazing.
Paul Bryant
Apr 07, 2009 Paul Bryant marked it as sf-anthologies-to-finish
Shelves: dozois
Best so far

Papa, MacLeod

11/23
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Pete Caron
Pete Caron marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
TohaHeavyIndustries
TohaHeavyIndustries marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Matt
Matt added it
Jul 17, 2016
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Cyber
Cyber rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2016
Chris Theiss
Chris Theiss marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Sween
Sween marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Natalie Matos
Natalie Matos marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Brian Simmons
Brian Simmons marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Allan
Allan marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Iwik Pásková
Iwik Pásková marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Damon
Damon marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
  • The Best of Damon Knight
  • The Year's Best Fantasy First Annual Collection
  • The Star Trek Chronology: A History of the Future
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Next Generation Trekkers
  • Dark as Day (Cold as Ice, #3)
  • Kirinyaga (A Fable of Utopia, #1)
  • Redshift: Extreme Visions of Speculative Fiction
  • Debugging the Development Process: Practical Strategies for Staying Focused, Hitting Ship Dates, and Building Solid Teams
  • Wheelers
  • 13 Phantasms and Other Stories
  • Descending Into Greatness
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner R. Dozois

More about Gardner R. Dozois...

The Year's Best Science Fiction (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: First Annual Collection