Start by marking “The New York Road Runners Club Complete Book of Running” as Want to Read:
The New York Road Runners Club Complete Book of Running

The New York Road Runners Club Complete Book of Running

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  40 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The definitive guide to running, from the premier organization in the sport, is now available in an affordable, updated paperback edition. All runners, from weekend joggers to elite athletes, will enjoy and profit from this authoritative book from the world's largest running club. Includes advice, tips and training programs.
Published October 7th 1997 by Random House Reference (first published 1992)

Be the first to ask a question about The New York Road Runners Club Complete Book of Running

Michael Clark
Nov 07, 2013 Michael Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, buy
A definitive guide for competitive running at any skill level. This book contains several personal examples from former world record holders. It provides a professional insight into nearly every aspect of running, and offers excellent advice especially for the beginner. If your goal is to run a marathon, this book will prove to be priceless.

"You will gain a new awareness of your body. Running will improve your stamina. It will help you control or reduce your weight."

"Keeping a diary can be a va
Jessica
Jan 10, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wondering what a "singlet" is
Shelves: phys-ed
I can't remember which edition of this book I read, but the dorky running people on the cover look kind of familiar, so maybe it was this one.

This is a decent introduction to the topic. It also taught me a somewhat counterintuitive fact about distance running, which is that the people who do it always seem to be dying of cancer. I find this sad and perplexing, and it's probably helped justify my continuing to smoke for so long.... Anyway, I've been really lazy these days and probably won't run t
Chris Myers
Jan 15, 2015 Chris Myers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book was good. I liked how it had many different examples of running. It has a lot of personal examples from world record holders and some of the best runners in the world. But i thought that the information was a little out of date.
Jonathan Nichols
Profiling some of the greatest runners in history, this book may seem a bit outdated, but the fact is that many of the people profiled were much faster than me. Based upon what I concluded before, I am not too "good" to discount the older training ideologies described in this book. It is also really fascinating to hear about the practices of legendary runners like "Pre" and Frank Shorter. This book highlights to fact that in the world of running, not much has changed since the 1970s, and I appre ...more
Michael
Good, comprehensive running and training advice for the novice runner... with a mild pitch to New York audiences. If you're looking for personal narrative to accompany your training, this is your baby. The stories throughout offer multiple (sometimes motivational) perspectives and tips to round out the research. Run run run.
Colby
Nov 22, 2012 Colby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sports
This book got me through my first marathon.
Ajeng Puspitasari
Read it before you run!
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Jonny Parshall
Jonny Parshall marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Damien Knuckey
Damien Knuckey marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Eire
Eire added it
Jan 21, 2016
Ed
Ed rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2016
MP
MP rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2016
James Crutchfield
James Crutchfield rated it liked it
May 14, 2015
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2015
Emily Sterling
Emily Sterling marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Taylor
Taylor is currently reading it
May 12, 2014
Kimberlylund
Kimberlylund marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
John Wimmer
John Wimmer rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2014
Lokyra Stone
Lokyra Stone is currently reading it
Nov 13, 2013
Carly
Carly added it
Jun 09, 2013
Vivek
Vivek marked it as to-read
May 31, 2013
Brigitte
Brigitte rated it really liked it
May 30, 2013