Start by marking “The Purple Gang: Organized Crime in Detroit 1910-1945” as Want to Read:
The Purple Gang: Organized Crime in Detroit 1910-1945

The Purple Gang: Organized Crime in Detroit 1910-1945

The Purple Gang was a loosely organized confederation of mobsters who dominated the Detroit underworld and whose tentacles reached across the country. Beginning in the Prohibition Era, the Purple Gang prevailed in distilling alcohol and running liquor from Canada, kidnapping, and labor racketeering. This is the hitherto untold story of the rise and fall of one of American'

Published January 1st 2000 by Barricade Books

To ask other readers questions about The Purple Gang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Purple Gang

T.S.
Feb 05, 2009 T.S. rated it did not like it
This book contains more typographical errors than any book I have ever read. It was shocking in that respect, but not in the expected way.
Debbie
May 28, 2012 Debbie rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, research
I had high hopes for this book. This is not only an era and I group I needed to research, but there's a bit of a family connection to the Purples. So I picked this up eagerly, excited to find out more. Then I set it down and had to remind myself to pick it up again.

I wasn't a failure of the writing, but of the organization of the material. Had it been written chronologically, watching the boys go from reform school friends to full-on killers could have been a riveting tale. Instead, he uses a di
GoldGato
Aug 06, 2016 GoldGato rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, mainly because I had previously thought of Chicago and New York as the centers of organized crime, but Detroit was quite nasty also. The Purple Gang was different in that instead of adhering to a Sicilian code, these gang members were mostly Eastern European offspring with a specialty for bootlegging Canadian whiskey during the Prohibition Era.

The gang eventually self-destructed, wiping each other out as the more powerful Mafia took a wider hold across the country. Th
Brian Bundesen
Jul 19, 2013 Brian Bundesen rated it liked it
I've been fascinated with organized crime, primarily during the prohibition era, and primarily with Chicago. I was interested to learn about the role of the Purple Gang in this era and its connections to Chicago organized crime. This book provided a lot of information that was new to me. I did find it somewhat difficult to read in the way that there were so many loosely knit characters, but that was the nature of the gang itself. Anyway, if you're an organized crime buff, this should definitely ...more
Vali
Jun 09, 2013 Vali rated it liked it
Shelves: history
I'm a Detroit native and current Hamtramck resident. My great-grandfather was in the Purple Gang; my family won't tell me any more than that. So although the subject matter is fascinating to me, I had to deduct at least one star because this book is so poorly edited.
Walt
Jul 27, 2008 Walt rated it really liked it
Shelves: organized-crime
This is a brief, but excellent snapshot at the notorious Prohibition Era Detroit gang. It is also richly illustrated.
Jameswhyte
Jan 25, 2014 Jameswhyte rated it it was amazing
bugger all spelling errors and a very well written and in depth book. thoroughly enjoyed this great read.
Holly Walgreave garverick
Holly Walgreave garverick rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2012
Mary rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2013
Chris Dean
Apr 03, 2013 Chris Dean rated it liked it
Interesting from a historical perspective, especially if the reader is from the Detroit area.
John Torsteinsen
John Torsteinsen rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2012
Bill Holtzapple
Bill Holtzapple rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2011
Chloe Lundine
Chloe Lundine rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2014
Infernal Apex
Infernal Apex rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2011
S. Goldston
S. Goldston rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2010
Donnie
Donnie rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Ugotz472
Ugotz472 rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2012
D Stein
D Stein rated it really liked it
Apr 02, 2011
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Jan 28, 2014
Alec
Alec rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Lynette
Lynette rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2014
Lizzie
Lizzie rated it it was ok
Apr 19, 2009
Morris.
Morris. rated it it was amazing
Jun 10, 2012
Pat Coppens
Pat Coppens rated it it was ok
Jan 19, 2013
Vrdcmi
Sep 13, 2012 Vrdcmi rated it it was ok
Very interesting story, but this book is poorly written.
Josh
Josh rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2012
Pete Pat
Pete Pat rated it it was ok
Oct 29, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2014