Start by marking “Our Lady Of Pain (Mark Tartaglia, #2)” as Want to Read:
Our Lady Of Pain (Mark Tartaglia, #2)

Our Lady Of Pain (Mark Tartaglia #2)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  198 ratings  ·  33 reviews
On a snowy February morning, London art dealer Rachel Tenison goes for a jog through a dark and deserted Holland Park, Still giddy from the previous evening's adventures, her legs; wobbly from too much drink and too little sleep, she trips and falls at the bottom of an icy hill. Lying on her back, enjoying the sensation of snowflakes melting on her skin, she savors the une ...more
Audiobook
Published 2009 by BBC WW (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Our Lady Of Pain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Lady Of Pain

Karen
OUR LADY OF PAIN is the second novel from English writer Elena Forbes - her first DIE WITH ME received a much deserved nomination for the Crime Writers' Association John Creasey New Blood Dagger award.

This book picks up with the same investigation team headed by DI Mark Tartaglia and DS Sam Donovan, called in when a most bizarrely "displayed" body is found in a snow covered London park. The naked corpse of a young woman is kneeling down, her head bent right over touching the ground, her face alm
Kitten Kisser
The main character in this book is dead. The police are looking to find who killed her of course. What makes this interesting vs. other murder/mystery novels is how much this is about her. Yes, we learn about the other characters, some who are rather complex as well. You go deeper and deeper into the victims world & she isn't the type of person everyone thought she was. She affected many of the living even after death. She is beautiful & alluring, but she is also a mystery. A woman with ...more
Hannie
Het is al even geleden dat ik een echte thriller heb gelezen. Hiervoor heb ik een aantal chicklits gelezen en Nooit meer met jou van Lucy Dawson had wel wat thrillerelementen, maar was niet een thriller in de zin van er is iemand vermoord en de politie zoekt de dader. Onze Lieve Vrouwe van de pijn is een interessant boek en je wordt als lezer soms ook op het verkeerde been gezet. Toch vond ik het boek niet heel uitzonderlijk vergeleken met andere thrillers. Ook wordt het nooit heel spannend. Het ...more
Thomas Paul
There are several things that I look for in a mystery. The story should make me care about the characters. There should be plenty of clues. The solution should be an “of course” moment. It should be well-paced. “Our Lady of Pain” has all of these. The author does a great job of avoiding the “sophomore jinx” by writing a good follow-up to the first book in her series.

Rachel Tenison, a beautiful art dealer, is found dead in a park one snowy winter morning. Her body is found in a way that suggests
Sandie
Similar in style and cadence to the stories of Robert Goddard and P. D. James with a little bit of Ruth Rendell thrown in for good measure. Our Lady of Pain is a wonderful and literate murder mystery that engages the reader from the very first page.

While the plot is driven by the investigative team's probe into two brutal murders, the true beauty of the book lies in the author's meticulous development of the characters and their surroundings. The reader is allowed a voyeuristic look into the da
Anne
This is the second book in the Mark Tartaglia and Sam Donovan detective series. While I did enjoy this novel (it's an easy, light read), it is not as absorbing as her first book.

The victim was a femme fatale, whom women disliked and one that the all the men, including Mark Tartaglia, even in death, obsess over. Then another murder that occurred a year ago is brought to the crime squad's attention and they wonder if the two murders are linked.

In the first book, a possible romantic relationship
Shonna Froebel
This is the second book in the series featuring Mark Tartaglia. Tartaglia is a detective inspector on a murder investigation team in London. This story begins with the discovery of a naked, frozen body in Holland Park. The body is arranged and the clothing is nowhere to be found. Tartaglia and his partner Sam Donovan are on the case and find it hard to get to know the victim, Rachel Tenison. Rachel seems to have been a very secretive person, and even her best friend doesn't know everything she w ...more
Janusch
Only slightly better than the first book, with a story that's almost exactly the same as the previous. Again, it's only in the last two chapters that suddenly everything comes together and Tartaglia and Donovan solve the mystery (or rather, have the solution shoved down their throat). Not good, both generally and when it comes to detectives, but still entertaining enough.
Mike Gabor
A woman is found in Holland Park murdered and posed as if in prayer. Mark Tartaglia and his partner Sam Donovan are assigned the case. As they investigate they find that the young woman had lead a rather kinky lifestyle. Another murder that happened a year prviously also has them wondering if a serial killer may be at work.

I found this book mildly entertaining. The plot is well thought out and moves along at a brisk clip. The characters are fairly well defined and the ending wasn't bad. Faint pr
Heidi
I picked this book up from the library accidentally. I meant to pit a hold on the book of the same title by Marion Chesney. I wasn't disappointed. This book is the second in a series but I was able to follow the story without having read the first book. I thought the author did a food job of making the characters interesting and the story wasn't too graphic. My issues with the story were that the characters drink a lot. Even during work sometimes. By the end of the book, I was beginning to wonde ...more
Gary
The story was going very well until the end, when it deteriorated. The ending was extremely annoying especially if you read the previous book. The author needs to get new ideas.
Fiona Padgett
Emjoyable read. Even though you find out a bit from end who did first murder the perpetrator of most recent murder comes as a surprise close to end. Getting to like Tartalgia and Donovan
Susan Parker
The book has potential. Unfortunately the writer has only one type of ending, that she uses in her first two books.
Marian
This is the 2nd Elena Forbes book I have read. The main characters ( Donovan and Tagliata) are back to solve yet another crime. These characters draw you in without losing sight of their focus, solving the crime. There is no romance in this book (which I prefer) and no graphic sex acts descriptions...just pure crime and finding out "who dunit!) Fast pace book that you just won't want to put down. My only disappointment is that Forbes doesn't have her 3rd book written.
Vivian
Ms.Forbes's books are difficult to find in the US, so I purchased a copy for download to my Kindle. I really enjoyed this British police procedural, the setting and especially the characters. Absorbing mystery and resolution. I've ordered the latest book in the series in print from the UK, since it not available here or on Kindle. Comparable to the likes of Peter James, and Mark Billingham. Highly recommended.

Emma  Kaufmann
Second book in this mystery series finds a very kinky female art dealer murdered by a sexual pervert. A real page turner, very atmospheric and like taking a holiday to London - amazing characterisations and evocation of London life.
Marilyn
Excellent sequel to Die with Me, Elena Forbes' first mystery. I only gave it four stars because five must be reserved for P.D. James. Elizabeth George, Robert Goddard, Dorothy Sayers, Michael Connelly, John Connolly, and oh so many more.
Babs
Dec 30, 2009 Babs rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes detective stories
Shelves: thrillers
I adored this 2nd book of Elena Forbes series. We learn more about Mark and Donovan along with some new characters as well. I am looking forward to the 3rd book. I got the kindle version of this and love it.
Karen wadey
I really enjoyed this book the story was good the plot had many twists and turns and I didnt guess the ending in advance so I would recommend this to others and certainly read another of Elena Forbes books!
Marina
It was the only english book on the shelf at the vietnamese guesthouse I was staying in. Since I didn't have a choice, I hoped it would be good. It made for great beach reading.
Grant
There were grisly aspects to the storyline - murder usually is - but the author did a great job of telling the story without going for the shock factor.
Cindy
I'll read the next one in the series. But if the one female cop ends up in danger yet again, that's it.
Brooke
Perfectly entertaining, if somewhat unbelievable at times, British police detective mystery.
Erin
Not as good as her first novel but still a good read. Am looking forward to more from this author.
David
This is the second I have read of this series and will certainly be reading more.
Tracey Sinclair
Smartly constructed, enjoyable crime book. Would make me read more in the series.
Hanna
Should be 3.5 but unfortunately you can't give half-stars here.
Jack
Two similar murders end up being connected in an unexpected way.
Anna Movses
pretty interesting and logical book. though bloody long one
Michelle
She is an awesome writer!! Absolutely loved it!
  • The Malcontenta (Brock & Kolla, #2)
  • Daisy Sisters
  • Blood Never Dies (Bill Slider,#15)
  • Death Toll (DI Peter Shaw & DS George Valentine #3)
  • Cry for Help
  • Walking Into the Ocean (Chief Inspector Peter Cammon Series #1)
  • Beyond Recall
  • Faith
  • The Verdict
  • Cold in Hand (Charles Resnick, #11)
  • Death Message (Tom Thorne, #7)
  • Capital Punishment: (Charles Boxer, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • Relentless
  • Fallen Idols (DC Laura McGanity, #1)
  • Seventy-Seven Clocks (Bryant & May, # 3)
  • The Flesh Tailor (Wesley Peterson, #14)
  • Dirty Game (Annie Carter #1)
Elena Forbes is an English writer of crime fiction. The protagonist of her novels so far is Detective Inspector Mark Tartaglia of the Barnes Murder Squad. Her first novel was shortlisted for the John Creasey (New Blood) Dagger Award.

Series:
* Mark Tartaglia Mystery
More about Elena Forbes...

Mark Tartaglia (4 books)
  • Die with Me (Mark Tartaglia, #1)
  • Evil In Return (Mark Tartaglia, #3)
  • The Jigsaw Man (Mark Tartaglia, #4)
Die with Me (Mark Tartaglia, #1) Evil In Return (Mark Tartaglia, #3) The Jigsaw Man (Mark Tartaglia, #4) Evil in Return: A Mark Tartaglia Thriller Jigsaw Man