Start by marking “The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Second Annual Collection” as Want to Read:
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Second Annual Collection

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twenty-Second Annual Collection (The Year's Best Science Fiction #22)

The twenty-eight stories in this collection imaginatively take us far across the universe, into the very core of our beings, to the realm of the gods, and to the moment just after now. Included here are the works of masters of the form and of bright new talents, including: Daniel Abraham • Eleanor Arnason • Pauolo Bacigalupi • Kage Baker • Stephen Baxter • Terry Bisson • J ...more
Published July 2005 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Year's Best Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Science Fiction

Rob
Aug 02, 2008 Rob rated it really liked it
What is there to say about a Dozois collection? Good stories, good way to discover new authors (and publishers...). It's your usual mixed bag of good and great stories, running the gamut to taste. Individual ratings and notes:

Includes:
(1) "Inappropriate Behaviour" by Pat Murphy: ★★★★

(2) "Start the Clock" by Benjamin Rosenbaum: ★★★★

(3) "The Third Party" by David Moles: ★★★
➟ extra star for concept.

(4) "The Voluntary State" by Christopher Rowe: ★★★
➟ I think I liked where this was going? (found it
Christy
I picked this book up at Half Price Books a couple of weeks ago, not having read any of this series of collections before. I'm so glad I did. This is a wonderful way to find great short science fiction. I have subscriptions to Fantasy & Science Fiction, Asimov's, and Analog, which brings lots of good short SF to my door, but this introduces lots of fiction that I would not be able to find on my own.

Some favorites from this collection: "The People of Sand and Slag" by Paolo Bacigalupi, "Scou
Sorin Craciun
May 03, 2012 Sorin Craciun rated it really liked it
As usual you find different genre of SF among the included stories in the anthology:

1. Inappropriate Behavior by Pat Murphy: ****

9. Scout's Honor by Terry Bisson: ****

10. Men are Troubl
Nicholas Whyte
Oct 21, 2007 Nicholas Whyte rated it liked it
This came out in 2005, the year of the Glasgow Worldcon, and I guess that because I felt I had thoroughly chewed over that year's short fiction in the Hugo process I didn't urgently need to read this. That was wrong: Dozois has as ever pulled together an excellent set of stories, full of variety of approach and length. As noted below, I had read only the few stories which got shortlisted for the major awards, and one other which I had seen in its original anthology. Of the stories new to me, the ...more
Bronwyn
Jan 17, 2011 Bronwyn rated it it was amazing
My fiance recommended that I check out these anthologies of Science Fiction when I was bemoaning the lack of new authors to check out. I am reluctant to spend money (and time) on new authors if I'm not reasonably sure I'm going to enjoy reading it, so I went to the library and checked out this anthology. It was excellent- out of the entire book (which is sizable), there were only 1 or 2 stories that I wasn't crazy about, and a few more that I liked but wasn't a fan of the author's style. I would ...more
Lord Humungus
May 04, 2012 Lord Humungus rated it really liked it

Almost like the heyday of great SF, this is yet another collection with lots of fantastic stories. There are great pieces by David Moles, Bisson, Albert Cowdrey, Daniel Abraham, Reed, and Paul Melko. Also some good stories by Paty Murphy, Vandana Singh and Colin P Davies.

However my favorites include "The Voluntary State" by Christopher Rowe, "Mayflower II" by Stephen Baxter, and the hilarious Company story "Mother Aegypt" by Kage Baker. I loved Kage Baker's story so much, I went and bought sever
Jeff Daly
Aug 30, 2015 Jeff Daly rated it liked it
I listened to the audiobook version, read by Madelyn Buzzard. Overall I give it 3/5 stars. I was disappointed with the work in general. I was not fond of the reader, so maybe that cast a shadow over my ratings. There were 5 I liked enough that I would give them 4/5 stars individually:

"Inappropriate Behavior" by Pat Murphy

sta
Ian
Sep 02, 2016 Ian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I've read several of these collections and none of them completely disappointed, but this one had by far the highest average quality of stories. Inappropriate behavior is an excellent use of sci-fi as a lens for abnormal but sympathetic characters, House of Sand and Slag is a dark but beautiful story that highlights the importance of empathy in a world where cruelty rules, and oh so many other great stories in this anthology, Id recommend it to anybody that wants a taste of good contemporary sci ...more
Dan
Sep 08, 2009 Dan rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Loaned to me by a friend whose opinion I trust. But this thing is huge! I skipped around in it. That's the upside of collections, I guess. It did remind me of the excitement I had as a teen-ager, waiting for the next edition of the SF magazines to come out. Enough so that I have subscribed to the e-book version of Analog.
Mike S
May 25, 2014 Mike S rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-sci-fi
If you like science fiction you will not be disappointed by this book, there are several really great stories, I looked forward to reading this book during the work week, and reserved 30 to 60 min's per night to it, so I could take my time and really savor it. This is a really great collection. If I ever own a house that has a library I plan on buying every volume in this collection.
Stephen Dorneman
Mar 16, 2013 Stephen Dorneman rated it really liked it
Another solid collection from Dozois, although I believe only a few of these stories will stay with me for very long - but I'm sure Paul Melko's "Ten Sigmas," Caitlin Kiernan's "Riding the White Bull," James Patrick Kelly's "Men Are Trouble," and Pat Murphy's "Inappropriate Behavior" all will.
John Devlin
Mar 21, 2007 John Devlin rated it really liked it
If you read one sci-fi book a year, this is the one. Always stories of high caliber with a few tossed in that will keep you thinking weeks later, not to mention the collection is a primer for what science and technology everyone will be talking about five to ten years from now.
Streator Johnson
Jun 02, 2013 Streator Johnson rated it it was amazing
As always, the best annual collection of sci-fi stories anywhere!
Anthony
Feb 06, 2014 Anthony rated it really liked it
The Last of the stories I read was, Investments, by Walter John Williams.

An excellent novella telling a story of a complex - both socially, and politically - story of business and family.
DeAnne
Jul 26, 2009 DeAnne rated it really liked it
Shelves: modern-scifi
Gardener always puts together a good mix of stories, and this one is no exception. Plus, this one has a funny story from my mefi buddy John Aegard...a relatively unknown but wonderful talent.
Paul Bryant

Shelves: owned, sci-fi
A respectable collection.
Craig
Dec 01, 2014 Craig rated it really liked it
Always a very good read. About 2/3 of the stories are 4* plus.
Phyllis
lots of good stories - some not so short Took about 4 months to read. i started it around Halloween and today is 2/21
Alan

The Dragons of Summer Gulch – Robert Reed
The Garden – Eleanor Arnason
Ten Sigmas – Paul Melko
Matthew Cannon
Matthew Cannon rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2012
Robert
Robert rated it really liked it
Jul 12, 2015
Brian Mink
Brian Mink rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2015
Andrew Hudson
Andrew Hudson rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2014
Baron Frosti
Baron Frosti rated it it was amazing
Nov 22, 2015
Jake
Jake rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2014
Keith
Keith rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2012
Alan Clark
Alan Clark rated it liked it
Dec 24, 2012
Timon Karnezos
Timon Karnezos rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2009
Aviv
Aviv rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2009
  • Far Horizons: All New Tales from the Greatest Worlds of Science Fiction
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
  • The Solaris Book of New Science Fiction
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2009
  • The Mammoth Book of Golden Age Science Fiction: Ten Classic Stories from the Birth of Modern Science Fiction Writing
  • Year's Best SF 12
  • Women of Wonder: Science-Fiction Stories by Women about Women
  • Getting to Know You
  • The Space Opera Renaissance
12052
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner R. Dozois

More about Gardner R. Dozois...

The Year's Best Science Fiction (1 - 10 of 34 books)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: First Annual Collection