Start by marking “The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twentieth Annual Collection” as Want to Read:
The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twentieth Annual Collection

The Year's Best Science Fiction: Twentieth Annual Collection (The Year's Best Science Fiction #20)

Widely regarded as the one essential book for every science fiction fan, The Year's Best Science Fiction (Winner of the 2002 Locus Award for Best Anthology) continues to uphold its standard of excellence with more than two dozen stories representing the previous year's best SF writing. This year's volume includes Ian R. MacLeod, Nancy Kress, Greg Egan, Maureen F. McHugh, R ...more
softcover, 672 pages
Published July 23rd 2003 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Year's Best Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Science Fiction

This is a book I read mainly between May and August 2004 so, in writing a review of it over eight years later, I would not be drawing on any detailed recollections of the stories in this anthology! Rather, I thought I would add some brief handwritten notes I took at the time I read the book. Should I re-read this book at any stage, I might flesh out my comments a bit more.

Ian R. Macleod's novella, 'Breathmoss', is a coming of age tale set on a culturally Arabic planet where the majority of human
Jul 29, 2015 Princessjay is currently reading it
BREATHMOSS. Ian R. MacLeod. 3.5 STARS.

THE PASSENGER. Paul McAuley. 3 STARS. A working crew in space found themselves with a special passenger(view spoiler). Straight-forward narrative.

THE POLITICAL OFFICER. Charles Coleman Finlay. 2.5 STARS. Claustrophobia & political shenanigans war with one another on a space s
Jan 15, 2012 Joe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jun 22, 2007 Chuck rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recentlyread
This anthology series is really excellent for the science fiction fan who doesn’t have lots of time to read. I own a copy of an earlier installment of this series, so after reading through two volumes I have to give them two thumbs up. Dozois starts off with a very useful and concise overview of the year in science fiction, ranging from small zines to Hollywood movies. For those of us who are getting into publishing for the first time, this overview is really helpful.

This anthology contain short
Aug 21, 2016 Hypatia rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
This was ok. Some of the stories were quite good, but there were a few in the middle that made me want to stop reading. I'm glad I stuck it out because the last couple were good. Overall though, I'm just not a short story fan. I prefer the more developed stories in a full length novel.
Lord Humungus
May 04, 2012 Lord Humungus rated it really liked it

My copy of this collection is water damaged and well worn. Though it didn't have any "all-time great" pieces, the stories were consistently very good and this would probably be a good collection to start with. In fact I probably bought this as a gift for at least one person.

Great stories by Ian R MacLeod, Kress, McHugh, Sterling, Ian McDonald, John Kessel, Chris Beckett, Geoffrey Ryman, Swanwick, Eleanor Arnason, Kage Baker and Alastair Reynolds. This was probably my first introduction to Kage B
Feb 03, 2016 L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most are good. The Ryman is really good; the Meaney is really bad. Read it.
2007 was not a good year for "The Year's Best Science Fiction". Comparatively speaking, this was by far the worst of this annual anthology that I have read yet. There were a few gems in here but all in all, it was dry, anti-climactic, and boring as can be. I was really disappointed with this particular one. Not enough to make me avoid the rest of them because some of the the others have been amazing. But, if you're looking to start reading through all of these I would advise you to grab another ...more
Feb 09, 2013 Rob rated it did not like it
I was only able to get halfway through it. Out of all of the short stories I read, I didn't find a single one that I genuinely liked, and only two got to "OK".

All of the stories seemed to be trying very hard to be artistic and/or weird. At first I was going to go through the entire book because it's a book of short stories - each new story is a chance for a fresh start. But after getting halfway through, I decided to bag it.
John Devlin
Apr 09, 2007 John Devlin rated it really liked it
If you read one sci-fi book a year, this is the one. Always stories of high caliber with a few tossed in that will keep you thinking weeks later, not to mention the collection is a primer for what science and technology everyone will be talking about five to ten years from now.
Deborah Replogle
Nov 04, 2015 Deborah Replogle rated it really liked it
Couldn't do without this SciFi series. Re-reading good stories that I read elsewhere, reading stories I've never encounters before, and of course, some stories where I'm totally lost. But that's ok, I wouldn't miss an edition.
12/27/11: "The Passenger" by Paul J. McAuley
12/27/11: "The Millennium Party" by Walter Jon Williams
12/30/11: "The Political Officer" by Charles Coleman Finlay
12/30/11: "Slow Life" by Michael Swanwick
Dec 18, 2009 Jar added it
This is comment, not a review.
Different stories have the same name--Robin--in them. Rather universial, that name.
Apr 02, 2011 Alan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

The Potter of Bones - Eleanor Arnason
Adam Ross
Nov 07, 2014 Adam Ross rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
An excellent anthology of hard science fiction stories and novellas.
May 21, 2011 Terry rated it liked it
Typical collection of short stories, with nothing extraordinary.
Paul Bryant
Nov 01, 2008 Paul Bryant marked it as sf-anthologies-to-finish
Shelves: dozois
Best so far:

In Paradise, Sterling

Dec 09, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
Loved it as usual with Dozois work.
holothuroid marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
Andrea marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2016
Grumpy_Wizard marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2016
Ed Steinmueller
Ed Steinmueller rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2016
William J Browning
William J Browning rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2016
Dan marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2016
Ian Cruickshank
Ian Cruickshank rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2016
Nathaniel marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Melissa Areland
Melissa Areland marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
  • Getting to Know You
  • Platinum Pohl: The Collected Best Stories
  • The Best of Michael Swanwick
  • Futures from Nature
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Vol 2B (Science Fiction Hall of Fame #2B)
  • Fast Forward
Gardner Raymond Dozois (born July 23, 1947) is an American science fiction author and editor. He was editor of Asimov's Science Fiction magazine from 1984 to 2004. He has won multiple Hugo and Nebula awards, both as an editor and a writer of short fiction.
Wikipedia entry: Gardner R. Dozois
More about Gardner R. Dozois...

The Year's Best Science Fiction (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: First Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Seventh Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Eighth Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Ninth Annual Collection
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Tenth Annual Collection

“The gifts we received from the dead: those were the world's only genuine gifts. All other things in the world were commodities. The dead were, by definition, those who gave to us without reward. And, especially: our dead gave to us, the living, within a dead context. Their gifts to us were not just abjectly generous, but archaic and profoundly confusing.

Whenever we disciplined ourselves, in some vague hope of benefiting posterity, in some ambition to create a better future beyond our own moment in time, then we were doing something beyond a rational analysis. Those in that future could never see us with our own eyes: they would see us only with the eyes that we ourselves gave to them. Never our own eyes: always with their own. And the future's eyes always saw the truths of the past as blinkered, backward, halting. Superstition.”