Start by marking “Professional Wordpress: Design and Development” as Want to Read:
Professional Wordpress: Design and Development

Professional Wordpress: Design and Development

An in-depth look at the internals of the WordPress system. As the most popular blogging and content management platform available today, WordPress is a powerful tool. This exciting book goes beyond the basics and delves into the heart of the WordPress system, offering overviews of the functional aspects of WordPress as well as plug-in and theme development. What is covered ...more
Published October 19th 2010 by Wrox Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Professional Wordpress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Professional Wordpress

Jason Rogers
Jan 07, 2014 Jason Rogers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a decent number of wordpress books now. This one is in my top few. Easy to read. Easy to understand.
Gareth Otton
This book was informative and an interesting read.

I did find it frustrating however as it really could have been three times as big and not been big enough. They do a good job of introducing you to many aspects of WordPress but I don't think there was anything complete enough in here to really get you started.

I bought this book looking to learn how to develop custom themes for WordPress and I have finished this book realising that it will be best for me to look elsewhere online for more inform
Jeroen
Mar 25, 2014 Jeroen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Professional WordPress - Design and Development" is really good book on WordPress. It shows you how WP works (starting from the loop, to hooking etc... which makes it outlive the WP version it was written for (I thought 3.0). I guess this is very useful for everyone who wants to take his WP skills from just running WP to hacking it to his/her own wishes.

Starting from a top-level view on WP, it then diggs down into the Loop, database, queries, taxonomies, plugin development, shortcodes, theming
Michael Musgrove
Jan 31, 2016 Michael Musgrove rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An essential book to have on your shelf if you mess with WordPress at all. Touches on some basic things all the way up to some more advanced tasks. Lots of great information, although the layout and design of the material is a little technical and boring. I wish the book was spiral-bound as well. I use it a lot for reference, and the paper cover isn't holding up well.
Sergiu
May 18, 2016 Sergiu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
My first, and hopefully last, WordPress book. Very decent explanation of the basics.
Tadas Talaikis
Reduce page counts, people.
Ray Perreault
I was a little disappointed in this book. Perhaps I was expected too much. I knew a little about Wordpress when I bought it, and I hoped the book would give me more of an insight into the software. I found it to be a lot of the same rudimentary information that is available through many sources.
If a person in interested in WP you can find the same information for free from many sites, just do a little research and save the purchase price.
Jeremy Ward
Jul 31, 2013 Jeremy Ward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exceedingly helpful and well-written guide that covers the ins and outs of WordPress. And, though it is a great resource on its own, the many other links and podcasts cited in this book will serve me well long after this book surpasses it's expiration date.

I'm grateful to the authors for putting together this manuscript, as it has already been invaluable in my young career as a web developer.
Foxstreet
This is great if you're trying to create a website from scratch; so for those who are just using templates and plugins, don't bother -- just pay for a registrar and host, and use the new plugins to make your stuff look pro. The plugin instructions update every year, so please read their info before applying it to your wordpress site.

For the beginners out there, just read the Dummies for WordPress.
Aaron Stephens
This is a very difficult book for the average person. This is not intended for the starting person. This is advanced and you will struggle with a lot of it. It's good, but too deep for most people.
Madalin Gabriel Ignisca
If you want to learn WordPress development, don't waist time with other books "for beginners". This book will introduce you in this and teach you want you need to continue after.
John Hobbs
May 30, 2011 John Hobbs rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technology
Good, solid overview. Nothing you can't pick up by reading online, but nicely organized and explained.
Britta
Jan 30, 2015 Britta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very useful, would recommend to actually do the steps immediately while working through the book.
Kashif Khan
Apr 03, 2014 Kashif Khan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended for both newbie and those who are coming from PHP / WordPress background.
Stephen Smith
Sep 03, 2015 Stephen Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book I have found on WP Dev.
Sumi
Apr 15, 2014 Sumi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Currently reading it
Burak
Feb 12, 2015 Burak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is helpful.
Zik Zak
Zik Zak is currently reading it
Sep 18, 2016
Lindsey Dinapoli
Lindsey Dinapoli rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2016
Paul D Wood
Paul D Wood is currently reading it
Sep 14, 2016
Arthur Bland
Arthur Bland marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Rakesh
Rakesh rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2016
Mischa
Mischa rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2016
W
W rated it it was ok
Aug 31, 2016
Tarun
Tarun marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2016
Sonja Biermann
Sonja Biermann marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Tone
Tone added it
Aug 24, 2016
  • Smashing WordPress: Beyond the Blog
  • Learning Jquery: Better Interaction Design and Web Development with Simple JavaScript Techniques
  • Digging Into WordPress
  • PHP Solutions: Dynamic Web Design Made Easy
  • Beginning Ruby: From Novice to Professional
  • JavaScript: The Definitive Guide

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“After you have successfully uploaded your first image, reset the /wp-content permissions to not be writable, typically 755.” 0 likes