Start by marking “The Officer and the Proper Lady” as Want to Read:
The Officer and the Proper Lady

The Officer and the Proper Lady (Regency Silk & Scandal #7)

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  187 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews

Major Hal Carlow was a fine soldier, but he was also a flirt, a rake and a scoundrel In general, he tried to steer clear of proper young ladies--no fun at all--and spend time with the sort of women who appreciated his finer qualities....
Miss Julia Tresilian's duty was to find a husband, but her prospective suitors bored her to tears. Yet even talking to the incorrigible H
Published December 1st 2010 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Officer and the Proper Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Officer and the Proper Lady

Rachel (BAVR)

For entertainment value alone, this book could have earned 5 stars from my grumpy, grubby talons. I never got bored. Shit just happens all over the place in The Officer and the Proper Lady. Most authors would gravitate toward just one of the three avenues Allen explored in the text, and that's the problem with romance today. They think we can't concentrate on more than one thing at a time. Sure, that's true 97% of the time. Like, as I write this review, I lose my place every time a car
Ruth
I really liked this one. The story is a great one, set among the Battle of Waterloo and its aftermath, and the characters are really great.

Things I liked about this one:

- The setting - the author has done a lot of research into what happened in Brussels at this decisive point in history, what people did and how it felt, and it really shows. The author has worked in some events which really happened, no matter how small, and it brings the whole story alive for me, in a way which most of the other
Cynthia
Jun 15, 2011 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Regency Historical Romance Readers
A solid romance set during the time a bit before, during and after the Waterloo Campaign, set in Brussels and England. Major Hal Carlow, rake and scoundrel, doesn't know what to do or how to act when he is extremely attracted to the virginalproper young lady, Miss Julia Tresilian. Add a tad of a family scandal, and you have a well-written story with solid characters.
Marilyn
May 30, 2013 Marilyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the seventh in a series from Harlequin. There is a mystery that needs to be solved, though, that skips from book to book and not all of the books are written by the same author, something I've never encountered before. This story by Louise Allen is good and well written and I enjoyed it very much but there are editing flaws where one person's name is used as another's for two or three paragraphs and the extra spaces thrown in between syllables throughout the entire book really disrupts t ...more
Kim
I was on a bit of a romance novel kick for a week or two last month, eagerly looking for a romance novel that impressed me. I found one in Unlacing the Innocent Miss, which just so happened to be the sixth novel in Harlequin’s Silk and Scandal mini-series. Impressed, and eager to learn more about the mystery that was unfolding in the prior books, I picked up book number seven with the hopes of being wowed again.

In The Officer and the Proper Lady, we meet Major Hal Carlow and Miss Julia Tresilian
Arabellavidal
3.5 stars.

An entertaining romance but with the added value that made Barbara Cartland's novels worth reading: the story being a convenient vehicle to show off impeccable research. I have never before read a novel about life in Brussels upon the brink of the battle of Waterloo. A solid depiction, as far as I can judge.

PS. One of the hottest covers on a romance novel.
Amy
Mar 15, 2016 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I stopped on page 66. I just couldn't stick with it. It dragged and dragged, and it was like listening to an elderly relative talking about too many people whom I've never met. The author kept dragging in references to other characters outside of the main storyline, and it just made it confusing. Although, looking over other reviews, I couldn't help but wonder what it was that I was missing that made other people love or like this book so much while I just wanted to go to sleep. Maybe I'm partly ...more
Kikkasole
Sono molto orgogliosa della protagonista femminile di questa storia.
Julia è si una giovane donna innocente e pura, ma anche una Donna con carattere, coraggiosa e forte. E fino a questo punto della storia quella più intelligente.
Hal Carlow, impossibile non affezionarsi a lui. Sono una che subisce il fascino della 'simpatica canaglia/affascinante mascalzone'. Certo c'è stato un momento in cui avrei voluto sbatacchiarlo al muro, cavoli sei un libertino di grande esperienza, hai una novella sposina
Judy
Dec 24, 2010 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 7th out of 8 books in the Silk & Scandal Series.

Hal has always been a rake and happy go lucky sort of guy. Much unlike his older brother the responsible Marcus.

Julia and her Mama and little brother have had to move to Brussels as it is cheaper to live there. Her father has died and left them without because of his gambling.

Julia needs a husband so she can help her family but no one matches up once she has met Hal Carlow.

And what would a S&S book be without Stephen showing up to cause
Michaela
It was good but I feel like it would have been better if it wasn't part of the silk and scandal series.
Lucy
Jun 11, 2016 Lucy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Got to love a bit of regency trash. Not that great, but an ok way to spend a couple of hours.
Brittany
Feb 09, 2015 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book.

Julia is very likable as she tries to be realistic about finding a husband, struggling to push aside all romance and feelings of love.

But in comes Hal.... *sigh*....... Both are too stuborn to admit their feelings, telling themselves they aren't good enough for the other.

I felt it was left unfinished though, what about the attempted murder.... we just ignore it and hope the person doesn't succeed in the future?

Talietha
I enjoyed this. I really liked Julia - trying to be pragmatic about finding a husband, trying to supress the romantic side as not necessary for her to make a decision.
Enjoyed the setting being in Brussels.
On the 'eve' of Waterloo and days following - the gaiety overlying the tension
And yes I like the rakish Hal.

I've enjoyed reading this series and look forward to the final instalment.
Gail
I liked this book. I forgot to review it closer to the time I read it, but I do remember liking it quite a bit. The officer is the scoundrel and the heroine the one who's trying to follow the rules in this one. I'm going to be keeping my eye out for more books by Louise Allen. (And trying to remember her name.)
Lourdes
Oct 15, 2012 Lourdes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read, super funny and very romantic. The story of Hal and Julia is a great part of the series and we finally can see a glimpse of who the murderer could be. Loved the new elements and how our stubborn heroin will do anything to help discover the truth and take the burden of her beloved Hal.
Frances
Aug 01, 2015 Frances rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
I have loved this series. One more to go, I preordered on Barnes and Noble. This was one of the best, but the Louise Allen is great.

What can I say? Second time through, this wasn't even 3 stars. Trite plot, which was not only contrived but unplausible even for a regency.
Joy
A refreshingly sweet story of a proper lady and a rakish officer, who get to know each other in Brussels just before Waterloo. When he is wounded, she nurses him back to health and they marry--but he thinks he isn't good enough for her. I liked it.
Cadiva
Aug 27, 2012 Cadiva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this one, I think Hal is my favourite of all the men involved in the series. Julia was a worthy heroine for him and the historical touches surrounding The Battle of Waterloo gave the book a bit more of a bite.
Linda
Oct 26, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Im a sucker for a rake =) Major Hal Carlow with his living as a scoundrel finds himself drawn to miss Julia Tresilian, a proper young lady not in need of a distraction. Part of the Regency Silk & Scandal series. ...more
Deanna
Jan 17, 2011 Deanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was great to finally read about Hal! He has been such a flirt throughout the series it was nice to see him find someone.
Tanya
May 03, 2014 Tanya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait to read the other books in this series.
Want to know what happens to all of them.
Harlequin Historical
Miniseries: Silk & Scandal
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Silk & Scandal
Roselle
Roselle rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Chris Huntley
Chris Huntley marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Tanya
Tanya rated it it was ok
Jun 21, 2016
MrsMascara
MrsMascara marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Loki The Book Thief
Loki The Book Thief marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 03, 2015 11:37AM
  • Unlacing the Innocent Miss (Regency Silk & Scandal, #6)
  • Taken by the Wicked Rake (Regency Silk & Scandal, #8)
  • Claiming the Forbidden Bride (Regency Silk & Scandal, #4)
  • The Viscount and the Virgin (Regency Silk & Scandal, #5)
  • The Smuggler and the Society Bride (Regency Silk & Scandal, #3)
  • More Than a Mistress (Rakes in Disgrace, #2)
  • Unbuttoning Miss Hardwick
  • The Earl's Forbidden Ward (Ramsden Brothers #2)
  • Marrying The Royal Marine (Channel Fleet, #3)
  • To Catch a Rogue
  • The Earl's Dilemma
  • The Governess and the Sheikh (Armstrong Sisters #2)
  • Lady Arabella's Scandalous Marriage
  • The Mercenary's Bride

This author also writes under the name Francesca Shaw.

I have had my nose buried in a history book - fact or fiction - for as long as I can remember, but even more important to me are the places and the objects that conjure up the past. My first attempt at historical fiction
More about Louise Allen...

Regency Silk & Scandal (8 books)
  • The Lord and the Wayward Lady (Regency Silk & Scandal, #1)
  • Paying the Virgin's Price (Regency Silk & Scandal, #2)
  • The Smuggler and the Society Bride (Regency Silk & Scandal, #3)
  • Claiming the Forbidden Bride (Regency Silk & Scandal, #4)
  • The Viscount and the Virgin (Regency Silk & Scandal, #5)
  • Unlacing the Innocent Miss (Regency Silk & Scandal, #6)
  • Taken by the Wicked Rake (Regency Silk & Scandal, #8)