Start by marking “Life's a Funny Proposition, Horatio” as Want to Read:
Life's a Funny Proposition, Horatio

Life's a Funny Proposition, Horatio

"Twelve-year-old Horatio lives with his mother and his father's father (known as O.P.) . . . He's still adjusting to his father's death . . . and the family's subsequent move to a small Wisconsin town, so when O.P.'s beloved dog Mollie dies, Horatio and his grandfather are both shaken. . . . Capable of bringing tears but not wallowing in them".--Bulletin of the Center for ...more
Published March 1st 1994 by Puffin (first published May 15th 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Life's a Funny Proposition, Horatio, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life's a Funny Proposition, Horatio

Kimberly
Feb 13, 2016 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
This book was read to me in 4th grade and it stuck out. I'm now 31 years old and just reread it and loved it again. It's about death and mourning, but death is a part of life. I'm so grateful my teacher read it to me when I was a kid. This book is packed with some really helpful wisdom.
Katie Curry
Nov 21, 2011 Katie Curry rated it it was ok
I honestly was not a fan of this book. It's about a boy, Horatio, whose father dies a year earlier, his grandfather has a heart attack, and the family all moves in together. Within the first few chapters, the grandfathers dog, Mollie, wanders off from the yard and she appears to have fallen in the ice covered lake, crawled to shore, and froze to death. The book is about death, coping, and moving on.
I would not use this book in my classroom. I may have it available in my book nook, but I wouldn't
Ellen
Sep 29, 2011 Ellen rated it liked it
Life's a Funny Proposition, Horatio is a touching story about a family dealing with loss. First, the loss of Horatio's father to lung cancer, and then again O.P. (Grandpa) loses his long time canine companion, Molly. In a struggle against missing those they lost and moving on, we have a story peppered with apt Shakespearean quotations and just a smidge of kid-accessible humor. Although it wasn't the best book I've ever read on the topic of loss and grief, it was far from the worst.
Arlene Allen
Oct 05, 2012 Arlene Allen rated it really liked it
Ah...back before children...when I first started working in Youth Services....I read almost as much then as when I was a teenager.
Ana
Apr 09, 2013 Ana rated it really liked it
A story of loss and moving on presented in a light and creative way for young readers.
Jeremy
Jeremy added it
Sep 19, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016
Guru
Guru rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Natalie Oliver
Natalie Oliver marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Lei Lei
Lei Lei marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Dontavious Pounds
Dontavious Pounds marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Giselle
Giselle rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Cherie
Cherie rated it liked it
Sep 29, 2015
Kk
Kk marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Keir Bridges
Keir Bridges marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Chiêu
Chiêu marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Mustee Ohman
Mustee Ohman marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2013
Silvia
Silvia added it
Jul 27, 2013
Josh Strnad
Josh Strnad rated it it was ok
Apr 24, 2013
Andie
Andie marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2013
Kate Farrell
Kate Farrell rated it liked it
Oct 14, 2012